PDA

View Full Version : Riverhead's Notes.

Teds Race Tours
08-06-2007, 06:13 PM
The Flash format worked really well at Riverhead and Twin State, after a not so hot start at Wall. What do you think the chances are of Stafford and Thompson going to the same format in 2008?

I'd still like to see less than 28 cars start the feature, but this past race, the drivers were pretty clean. But 28 cars makes it so tough to ride around single file under caution. I'd rather see 24 make the feature, and everybody else go to a BMain that paid both points and money.

There are some awesome pics from the Riverhead Race on the Chrome Horn. Check them out, you won't find near as many pics anywhere else on the web.

RGeeProductions
08-06-2007, 10:12 PM
I enjoyed the night myself. The racing was great overall and the flash format worked out ok.
I am not sure about the bigger tracks doing the flash thing if they lower the purse.
And yes Ted, we were lucky to have picture input from 4 photographers.
That might even be a first for a website reporting about the Whelen Modified Tour!!! So much so that all the sites went down twice last night from way too many people accessing at once!!!! Once again we will be upgrading so this doesn't happen...

Teds Race Tours
08-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Rgee. Its great to see TCH getting alot of hits, and deservedly so. You guys have worked hard, and raised the bar on Modified Websites.

I am not talking about lowering the purse at Stafford or Thompson. They hold many more people and can afford the currect purses. I am just saying same purse with the Flash Format at Stafford or Thompson would be awesome. I think I will send them an email on the matter.

Precision Auto
08-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Richie: Ahhhh........as much as it pains me (j/k), I have to agree with TBax. You guys are doing an awesome job with The Chrome Horn......

All of the hard work that's been put into the site is paying off.........

Being on-board has, and will continue to be a blast for Precision Automotive, Inc.......

Linda and Norm

RGeeProductions
08-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Unfortunately Ted, if smaller tracks get a break in the purse for holding a FLASH event, don't you think the bigger tracks will want the break also???
Linda, thanks you soooo much, but without Precision Automotive, we wouldn't be where we are at, so you are a BIG PART of the team too!!! Thanks!!!
And I have to include Hampton Jitney [Jitneyman] who came to the WMT reporting last year!!!

ModTourMan
08-07-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure if we will ever (or should ever) see the Flash format at the 1/2 milers. However, I'm really hoping that we at least get a meaningful non-qualifiers race for the cars outside the top 20 in time trials added to those events. That way everyone gets a chance to race into the feature and the paying fan gets an extra modified race to enjoy. As far as the short tracks go, I (as I've stated many times) just LOVE the bullrings and would hate to see them go the way of the dinosaur. I'm honestly not sure if the Flash format doesn't need some more tweaking or not. While I did not attend the race, I did like the format at Riverhead the best so far. I've always preferred that a total of no more than 10 cars should make it through time trials and this one came close. But before we focus on the time trials, first things first! Lets get these feature races on these short tracks back looking like they should! My feeling is that if the feature event goes off well with good, hard racing and the officials/track crew(etc.) keep the yellow laps from getting out of control - all of the qualifying debates will quiet down. How many nights have we all sat through boring/routine/messy heats at our local tracks only to be rewarded with a real "barn burner" of a feature? I don't know about you all , but I got over those lackluster heats real quick! In summary, I hope they keep the Flash formats alive long enough to keep the bullrings on the schedule and also take some of that old-school format (and small track "barn burner" attitude!) back to the 1/2 milers too. The Mod Tour, as much as they try to mimic the Cup Series with multi lap extended cautions, lucky dog free passes, formatted qualifying procedures, cookie cutter cars (etc.) must never forget their roots...many of which are still planted firmly under the aging asphalt at the local Saturday night bullring.

Teds Race Tours
08-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Unfortunately Ted, if smaller tracks get a break in the purse for holding a FLASH event, don't you think the bigger tracks will want the break also???

Want one? Sure, but they don't need one like Riverhead, Twin State and Wall Did. Stafford and Thompson hold many more fannies in the seats than the other tracks. Not that I am fond of Comparing Mods to Cup, but Daytona, Texas, Indy, and Charlotte hold more folks than Richmond, Martinsville, and Darlington, thus their purses are higher than the tracks that hold less people.

I'm not saying go full bore into a full schedule of Flash races just yet, but I'd sure love to see one at Thompson.