PDA

View Full Version : Where Was Mighty Mike Mortimer?

Tower Man
08-12-2007, 09:04 AM
I wasn't at the track last night. So I was a little surprised to see the Late Model finish and no Mike Mortimer. Anyone know why?

He is a class act and an asset, not only to the Late Model Division, but to Riverhead Raceway as well. Even when the Late Models are off, you can see Mighty Mike on the track crew helping the wreckers and the clean up crew.

I truly hope his absence is not due to the incident with the 98 a couple of weeks ago.

How many more good teams is Riverhead going to lose? After reading about all the nonsense and the calls I received, I am glad I missed it!

sround
08-12-2007, 12:37 PM
It was truly sad to not see Mighty Mike racing last night. We miss ya Mike!

The Bullfather
08-12-2007, 02:32 PM
First thing I noticed when I pulled into the pits was the empty spot. Mike this track needs you, not the track itself, but the family of racing needs you! The kids you support every week in the stands, the people on the track when your not racing and us, you were truly missed not seeing you last night at the track. Mike you are a class act and I hope you be back next week. You and your family your wife and daughter were missed too. Also your crew are good people!

Golf Guy
08-13-2007, 04:06 PM
I don't think it was the decision to send Mike to the rear that is the only reason he will stay away. Where do I start:
->Getting hit on the track after the race was over becasue another driver did not like the way Mike raced him- nothing done.
->Getting thrown backwards 10 feet into his car while still in his pit stall by the same driver- nothing done.
->Having his crew chief Tommy punched by a modified driver while he was again still in their pit stall (why this driver needed to get involved is beyond me)- nothing done.
->Getting sent to the rear approx. 45 mins after the race is done because this driver complained to the 2 in charge and asking Mike to shake his hand and let's be friends?
You can discuss the racing incident as much as you like and get 3 different sides to it. But the happenings in his pit stall I was there to witness.
Now this may sound like sour grapes, but Mike would never do any of the above to another competitor. Mike has also been a very loyal supporter of everything Riverhead Raceway, and did not/does not deserve this treatment.
I seriously doubt you will see Mighty Mike anytime soon.
JMO- Jim Wichert, Sponsor of the #14 Late Model

Charlie's Angel
08-13-2007, 04:15 PM
I wasn't there for the incident that was mentioned. But I would like to say that Mike will be missed. I think he and his wife are really nice people and I enjoyed watching him race. I hope this is not the last we see of him. But if things happened the way it has been mentioned than who could blame him? Mike, just remember you do have fans. I'm definitely one of them!:)

The Bullfather
08-13-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm here for you Mike! You are a class act bro and I will miss you! Maybe we can replay The Mike Mortimer Pitbull I did when I had pneumonia, I came to the track only to do that interview! I promised you we'd do it and I came out for you because of the man you are! Sit out and relax with your family and enjoy your new ride! Can't wait to see you down Willian Floyd with it, we'll sit side by side waiting for the light to turn green. Of course we will only do 45 mph!:) But we'll see who get there first! hahaha Maybe next year!

allhailunc
08-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Now this is truly a shame. My son & I worked with Mike for number of years and while we always "goofed" on each other (how I got tagged with Winslow) or us making fun of his Grizzly Adams look.:lol: I can honestly say I never met a driver/person more dedicated to his sport and especially to the fans (many nights he & I spent lotsa time walking around giving out pictures for the kids or just chatting with them). Many nights if I saw a child with special needs, I'd go back and tell Mike and darned if he didn't beat me back out there to bring a smile to the child. His presence was always anticipated by the fans-they wanted to see "Algebra" out on the track, no matter what. Obviously, Mike has been "dissed" shall we say and has decided not for return for a while. Mike don't do what I've done by not returning-get yer rear back out there and show them what a true sportman you are by going back to what you truly love. ;)

P.S. hey bro, you've got my number, call me if you want to chat about it/if anyone can talk you out of staying away, you know damn well it's me.

bulldozer
08-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Sorry Golf Guy, but that story is a little wrong. After the incident on the track, Doug said something and Mike came to my pit area, which is right next to his. The 81 pit the Turbush pit area. Mike came at Doug, and Doug went at Mike, and Doug pushed Mike. I really like Mike and Tommy a lot. I think they are awesome people. It was an unforunate incident. That was the second time Mike got Doug. Early on in the season, he squeezed him in the wall by the flag man. I don't think that was on purpose and I dont think Mike should've been put to the back because it was a racing incident. Just unforunate, because we would like to see Mike back. I think it was a little like Doug and the 10 this week, just a racing incident. The 10 also hit Doug on the track. Hope to see you back though, roscobeco train. 81

badone07
08-13-2007, 06:19 PM
I don't think it was the decision to send Mike to the rear that is the only reason he will stay away. Where do I start:
->Getting hit on the track after the race was over becasue another driver did not like the way Mike raced him- nothing done.
->Getting thrown backwards 10 feet into his car while still in his pit stall by the same driver- nothing done.
->Having his crew chief Tommy punched by a modified driver while he was again still in their pit stall (why this driver needed to get involved is beyond me)- nothing done.
->Getting sent to the rear approx. 45 mins after the race is done because this driver complained to the 2 in charge and asking Mike to shake his hand and let's be friends?
You can discuss the racing incident as much as you like and get 3 different sides to it. But the happenings in his pit stall I was there to witness.
Now this may sound like sour grapes, but Mike would never do any of the above to another competitor. Mike has also been a very loyal supporter of everything Riverhead Raceway, and did not/does not deserve this treatment.
I seriously doubt you will see Mighty Mike anytime soon.
JMO- Jim Wichert, Sponsor of the #14 Late Model

Wow, Mike will be missed, especially by all the younger fans he has. Thought it was odd he that he left early on 7-14, before the racing was over. Then not seeing him yesterday. :confused:

Can't believe someone placed their hands on him, and then Tommy, too. :rolleyes: Really surprised Tommy didn't lose it & treat him like Craigy (ex-crew member). ;) Maybe I'll run into them at Mountain one day if the SPT's aren't running at Riverhead. After I put our old VHS tapes on DVD, have to give him a set.

modified_fan
08-13-2007, 06:49 PM
At times it certainly seems like Riverhead Raceway is imploding.

Mike is a huge asset to this place. I hope Riverhead does not lose out on yet another cornerstone driver.

Best wishes, Mike.

Tower Man
08-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the info Golf Guy.

(Is this a negative post? I've been advised that I am negative on this board).

W. J.
08-13-2007, 08:36 PM

See, you said 'negative' twice. There's the proof! LOL!

Golf Guy
08-13-2007, 08:49 PM

No Joe, you're not negative. But just to be clear, my posting is not information regarding Mike's future- Just my opinion/feelings why and what Mike might be doing, and why.

Tower Man
08-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks Jim...

++++++++++

2 4 6 8

Just trying to become positive.