PDA

View Full Version : J.A. Ackley Moving to Speedway Illustrated

LongIslandJam
08-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Hello everyone,

It is with great anticipation that I am proud to announce my move to Speedway Illustrated as Managing Editor. Speedway Illustrated leads the pack of Motorsports monthly publications, with their quality of content and breadth of coverage. I am looking forward to this opportunity to better serve short track racing around the entire country.

What does this mean to the Jam? Well, first you may not see me as often at Riverhead Raceway, as I will be moving up to Massachusetts. This job requires me to travel around the country, bringing the coverage to the unsung Saturday night warriors that we know and love. However, at the Jam we have developed a strong staff to provide the coverage we know and love. I also would like to publicly thank my staff for the wonderful job they do week-in, week-out.

Secondly, I will be stepping down from day-to-day operations of LongIslandJam.com. I will still be involved in an overseeing capacity, but I will not be as involved as I have been in the past. I am looking for an editor which has some basic html knowledge (Frontpage or Dreamweaver is fine), basic Photoshop knowledge, and most importantly, being able to present themselves and the Jam in a positive aspect through courtesy, professionalism, and respect. This is a job to help Long Island Racing grow and prosper and if you’re interested, my e-mail is listed below.

And lastly, but most importantly, I want to thank everyone here on the Jam. Everyone in the Long Island racing community has been awesome, as while we may have some of the fiercest competition on the track, off the track we show our true sides of being kind, caring, and helpful. When I started the Jam, I was a know-nothing, 17-year old who just wanted to see the good folks who race at Riverhead get the promotion they deserve. And it’s good to see seven seasons later, we have accomplished this.

Thank you once again, and I will see everyone at a racetrack near you soon (for Riverhead, expect my final 2007 appearance to be Saturday, Sept. 1)!

Sincerely, your Jam Man,
J.A. Ackley

rae234
08-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Congrats on your new job. Good luck!

WEEZER
08-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Congrats J.A., what an exciting career change this should be and who could ask for a better job? (unless your a paid racecar driver). Good luck and thanks for this incredible thing called the Long Island Jam!!!!! (and your staff as well).

But what will 7-11 do with out you now????

Pickels

debbie33
08-15-2007, 09:39 AM
JA best of luck with your new career!!! We will miss you around the track.

SuperShafts
08-15-2007, 09:43 AM
I get Speedway kid, when do you expect the 1st article?

vsmidge68
08-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Best of luck to you JA !! I hope your new job takes you to many exciting new places. Thanks for the great job you've done on the Jam. We'll miss you!!

Mortgage Guy
08-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Conrats on your new job, I can not think of a more deserving person for this job. Have a great time.

CIN
08-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Congrats JA.
And thank you for all that you've done for the racing community.
Just know that you will be missed at Riverhead.

CIN

Charlie's Angel
08-15-2007, 10:33 AM
John,, I'm so happy for you. Congratulations. That's a big move. Good for you, you deserve it. You will be missed at Riverhead but you better keep us updated as to how you and Melissa are doing. I'll be waiting for my wedding invite. I've never been to Massachusettes you know.. it would be a great reason to go! :p

j-rod
08-15-2007, 10:39 AM
congrats man,,u deserve it.:applause:

W. J.
08-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Surprise! (to me.) Congratulations, I know this is something you've wanted for a long time, I wish you nothing but the best at this top-rated racing publication. Maybe now short track racing won't feel so short changed with a short tracker (at heart) working there.

As far as 7-11, they'll survive, they did before, LOL!

RT-01
08-15-2007, 10:59 AM
good luck man,a well deserving job for you. just dont forget where you came from.

mmercurio
08-15-2007, 11:13 AM
JA, Congratulations... This could not happen to a better person..I also want to thank you for giving me the chance to be the Jam photographer. Best of Luck!!!!!
Mike

randomrodder
08-15-2007, 11:32 AM
That's great news! Wishing you the best of luck. Nothing bets doing what you love most. LIJ's loss is SI's gain.

modprincess8x
08-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Congratulations!!!! Good luck with everything. Thanks for making the Jam what it is today, you guys all do a great job.

Hollywood
08-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Good things happen to good people! Go get em! I hope the resumes did the job! :cheers:

Wilson Motor sports and family

Scotty Wolf
08-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Wow, cool, way to go J.A., good luck to you.

figure849
08-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Cool, good luck.
I hope you keep your N.E.L.M.A. DREAM ALIVE.
I'm sure we will keep in touch on the jam .
Thanks for all your help during the last few years. And I will continue to support the JAM.

hollywoodmic
08-15-2007, 01:13 PM
This is not a congrats, it's a thank you. Thank you for what you have done for all of by starting your "little" web site. You are a great guy and I wish you the best. Enjoy your new role, you will be missed, just look in on us from time to time. Good Luck.

racerwife
08-15-2007, 01:22 PM
We will miss you. Thank-you doesn't seem enough for all the time, energy and work you have done to represent our local racing community and giving us all a wonderful place to read, write and express our thoughts and feelings.
Best of luck in your new job... remember your starting roots as you advance in a remarkable career.

Paul, Karen & Michael Specht

Duke22
08-15-2007, 01:45 PM
J.A., thanks for all that you've done for us. I remember the progression of the Riverhead forum sites. The Jam has evolved into a top site for racers to get the latest news and fans to get tons of entertainment. Good luck.

Teds Race Tours
08-15-2007, 02:00 PM
It couldn't happen to a more deserving guy. Congratulations. The best thing about it is the fact that its Speedway Illustrated. Somebody said "Don't forget where ya came from", and at Speedway Illustrated, they don't forget where they came from. Dick Berggren has always been a Short Track Fan. Froms his days at SCR Magazine to now, he has always had more stories and features on Short Track racing, and Short Track Safety Issuesthan the Big 3 Divisions. SI has always made heroes of the Short Track legends, and that is awesome thing.

JA has EARNED himself a spot on the Premiere Racing Monthly Periodical. In a time when the Internet Dominates the world of Auto Racing Information, not in weeks or days, but in many times seconds, its not easy for the Monthly's or even the Weekly Publications as we have seen with the loss of the Legendary Speedway Scene. SI does the great job of telling the story of the Local Heroes that deserve the attention, but so seldom get it in such a National way. JA has does such a job for the local heroes at Riverhead, and I look forward to his future work, as much as I have enjoyed the ride the last 7 years at the Jam. Well done JA!!!!

JBonsignore
08-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Congrats JA, you have done so much for the LI racing community, I am glad it all paid off for you! Best of luck!

Justin Bonsignore

intense1
08-15-2007, 02:09 PM
J.A.,
From all of us here at Mountain Speedway, we would like to wish you huge success in your new position. You have been an asset to the racing community, not only in my homeland of Long Island, but also in the Poconos of PA...through PoconoThunder.net. It has been a pleasure to work with you in the past, and we look forward to building on our relationship, into the future.
From me personally, you have become a great friend and I know you will be an integral part of our great sport, for a long time to come. I am sure that Dick Berggren considered your passion for racing, in choosing you to his staff.
So once again...Congrats, Thank You, and Best of luck in your racing future.
We'll be in touch.:cheers:

Mike Odwazny
Mountain Speedway

leah28racing
08-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Good luck to you! Have fun.hope you make it to the banquet this year!:applause: :applause: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

allhailunc
08-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Darn, looks like I'll be cancelling my subscription. :lol: Congrats my freind, but remember one thing: there ain't no Belly Bombs in Massachussetts.:lol: :lol: :lol:

diorhockey29
08-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Congrats to you on the new job.

Rich Mergl
08-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Congratulations! Thank You for bringing to us the JAM. Best of Luck

Tommyj16
08-15-2007, 03:49 PM
CONGRATS!!! You deserve it. Just don't forget us on LI, and thanks for all that you have done w/ the JAM and keep up the good work. You will be missed. :cheers:

x_factor
08-15-2007, 03:57 PM
:applause: :cheers: You deserve it J.A.!!! You are great person/good friend to all of us. Good things do come to those who deserve it. Best of luck. I hope you enjoy the snow. :lol:

GSM
08-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Congratulations Jam Man. :applause:

Ace
08-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Congrats JA! We'll miss ya on Saturday's. Thank you for everything you've done for Riverhead, Good luck.

RGeeProductions
08-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Well old buddy, seems you got what you have worked hard for. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the things you have done for me. Letting me in, and at the beginning being extremely firm on things which was just a teacher teaching the student. You have greatly changed my attitude and look on things. I thank you for letting me in and help our photo galleries grow into what it is now. I want to thank you for letting me try to bring Pocono Thunder back and I did. I thank you for letting me and Fran have a spot for 2 years with WMT coverage on Long Island Jam. I thank you for letting me develop and put up The Chrome Horn with Fran and then Howie coming along. I thank you for the many nights where we just BS'ed, as we needed to from all the work. I thank you for handling my camera issue. The list is endless brother.
I want to wish you and Melissa the best in all you do. I know you will still be on my a$$, no matter what you do, or where you go, LOL. And that's ALL GOOD!!! I know somehow you will be around, I know you too well. And what was that that Charlie's Angel mentioned? Something about marriage???

Richie

modified_fan
08-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Way to go JA!

It is always awesome when one can follow a career path doing something one loves.

It has been a privilege getting to know you over the years. Your cool, calm, level headed demeanor speaks worlds about the man you are.

Thank you for everything and I wish you the best of luck and future happiness.

Douglas Corwin

99racing
08-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Good luck to you JA !!!!

Kim,Jason & Kailey Carpenter

Erin C
08-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Wow, JA! What an opportunity! Congrats and Good Luck with everything! Make us proud :)

The Bullfather
08-15-2007, 06:53 PM
I think mostly everyone covered everything! I can thank you for making the Pitbull happen and some the trips I've done and hope to do! But, I think I'll leave you with this: Thank you for being a friend! I'll see you around and we'll talk. Thanks for all you do!

spabler
08-15-2007, 06:58 PM
J.A.,
Thank you, for all you have done for the Long Island and surrounding racing community's, Chris and I. You've played a very large part in Chris's racing career as he started the same time you developed the Jam.

From your features on his rookie season in the Chargers, to his now rookie season in the Mods, you have always been a great help in securing new sponsors and keeping his family, friends and fans all over the country up to date as to how he is doing weekly. You have always put us "the racers" first, and put up with some heat for it from time to time, but you stuck in there for us. Glad it all paid off for you, all that hard work that is.
:cheers: :cheers:

Best of luck to you,
Paul A. Beutler
Spabco Racing #21 Mod

Richie
08-15-2007, 07:13 PM
JA: Thanks for what you have done here. When you get to ESPN please help them out the same. Maybe you will finally get to see the 4c supermodified in action. Best of luck & look out Bob Dillner.

maestri fan 1
08-15-2007, 07:31 PM
All I can say is CONGRATS!!!!! As you can see you have a lot of followers and you made A LOT of people proud. Again congrats and the BEST of luck.

Matt

CJfilms
08-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Way to go JA!

I'm sure we'll all cross paths again in the future! So instead of saying good bye it should be good luck and see you again!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

CheckerWon
08-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Congrats J.A.,
Don't forget the little people !!!!!!! LOL ........Artie and family......

Teds Race Tours
08-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Hey JA. Now you can play as a celebrity in the TB Memorial Golf Outing!!!!

Gravel
08-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Thank you JA, for all you have done. We wish you much success in your future.:( :( :wave: :wave:

NJ Chick
08-15-2007, 10:03 PM
I cannot wait for the first issue I get from Speedway Illustrated that will have the name J.A. Ackley as Managing Editor!!!! I'm going to hunt you down to autograph it too J.A.!:p What an awesome thing to happen to such a great person. I know many will be sad to see you go, but also will be very proud of their LI Jam Man representing racetracks all over the country. Congratulations and best of luck with everything J.A.!:wave:

Here's to you!!!:cheers:

Howie "Dr D" Bott - #75
and

Geno
08-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Congrats to you JA- you work very hard and deserve it!!

Captain History
08-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Congrats with your new gig!

LennyCosta46
08-15-2007, 10:57 PM
congrats J.A.

RacinRob
08-15-2007, 11:04 PM
congrats and good luck!!

stockade racing
08-15-2007, 11:29 PM
:cheers: Good luck and congrats J.A.

unowho243
08-15-2007, 11:51 PM
wow J.A thats awesome you will be missed at the track!
looks like i have to subscribe to speedway now lol! best of luck J.A they just got a top Notch employee!

rabbid1
08-16-2007, 12:04 AM
J.A. Congratulations . Thanks for all the great work you did for all of us on the Jam . the good folks at Speedway Illustrated are very lucky to have you . The #17 gang wishes you great success , But please whatever you do , Dont become a Red Sox fan.

BBWIFE
08-16-2007, 12:44 AM
Congrats J.A.!!! Awesome news! If you are ever down here at our Fla. tracks give Anthony or I a shout!!!
Best of luck to you!!!!!!
Tracy A

Ka$h25
08-16-2007, 01:07 AM
Congrats!

And I guess I have to be the idiot that asks what exactly a managing editor does?

Are you writing articles?, creating layouts for the mag?. :confused:

wayne
08-16-2007, 04:45 AM
Congrats And Good Luck!!

Turbo
08-16-2007, 07:42 AM
congrats JA!! good luck with everything!!!

sincerely,

THE FIRST LI JAM SIM CHAMP!!

00 RBDJ
08-16-2007, 10:47 AM
:applause: Congratulations and Best of Luck with everything. :applause:

The Sergio Family and the entire Double Zero Racing Team:wave:

SuperShafts
08-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Don't forget to call the town super at Riverhead and let him know you support Rexcorp's Epcal Park.....

AJ17x55
08-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Good luck and Congrats.

Will never forget the high banks at Montauk and the late night IM chats while in college! :applause:

btgoss
08-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Congrats JA.

I work in publishing now, and Editors are always a tired bunch of humans, good luck and get some sleep when you can.

Wheel Racing
08-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Great News! Congratulations and Good Luck

richardpetey
08-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Congratulations J.A., I can't wait to write my first "letter to the editor", hehe............:help:
Does this mean your leaving me in here with W.J. on the Jam alone.......................:eek:
UNCLE PETEY......................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Okula Fan
08-17-2007, 09:57 PM
My first post goes to congratulate you on your great news! You will be sorely missed! Good luck!

W. J.
08-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Does this mean your leaving me in here with W.J. on the Jam alone.......................:eek:
UNCLE PETEY......................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Uncle Petey, you're never alone on the Jam, all of your friends are here, not just me, LOL!:lol:

44Magnum
08-17-2007, 11:15 PM
J.A.,

:cheers: Congratulations on your appointment as Managing Editor of Speedway Illustrated. It's a great magazine, and it can only get better under your stewardship. :cheers:

Now that you're going "national," who's gonna keep an eye on the folks at my local 7-11?:confused:

Crazy Horse
08-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Good things happen to GOOD people, much success on your move.Stay well.

VNYLGRFX
08-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Best of luck!

Tooner
08-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Congratulations on your new position.

Mike Clayton

Dwight Clock
08-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Congratulations and good luck, JA. If your duties at SI bring you to Indiana look me up. :cheers:

slice
08-18-2007, 06:52 PM
J. A.

Thank you for your hard work and best of luck

Joe Sescila