PDA

View Full Version : New Racing Article ...

racerwife
08-16-2007, 02:38 PM
A new article appeared today on www.longislandmotorsports.com . Check the blogs section... and remember you can also post your thoughts and comments in a blog form there.

Golf Guy
08-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Sounds like to me he is a very bitter person and using his own website to voice his fustration. Not that I do not agree with some of his points, but enough is enough, are we going to be reading this type of blog every week now?

randomrodder
08-16-2007, 05:32 PM
No, thank you.

rydogg97
08-16-2007, 06:38 PM
i dont think its a case of being bitter its a case of being able to report events without fear. ricky miller column also. clean it up and lets race!!

Mike Fields
08-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Jim, I agree with you on two points; I am frustrated with what has been happening the past couple of weeks, and am very much using the website as the medium to express it. I'll give you that completely.

What you may not realize is that my biggest fear is that expressing my frustration may not be enough, and that Ricky, WJ, J.A, and I may have to do an obituary before this season is over.

Personally, I'd rather complain and point fingers now, rather than later.

SuperShafts
08-16-2007, 09:36 PM
If you feel that desperately that someone is going to kill someone....and you feel it is being overlooked instead of crying about it all over the place and kinda *****ing about how someone else sucks and they are blind or whatever the hell the point is other then calling names in a polite kinda way........

Here is what you should do...

Rather then wait for someone to make a mistake and you supposedly see this terrible accident coming and you do nothing about it yourself makes you just as guilty..

1. Go DIRECTLY to the source you feel has ultimate control and explain to them...

2. Go directly to the official in charge...if that doesn't work for you and i was as concerned here is exactly what i would do...skip 1 and 2

GRAB that person and have a talk with them...if that doesn't work do what you think he/she needs to have done to them to understand clearly that he/she is out of control.....

IF YOU truly feel that adamant about it..

Reporting events and what ever the hell that blog is sure as ____ is not reporting events, if that's reporting i would fire that reporter.

Jaws
08-16-2007, 09:49 PM
I have not gone to many races the last few years because of what the track has become. Its sad as I used to go almost every week.

They better wake up before all the fans and cars are at other race tracks no matter how long the drive.

It used to be well, we don't need a big crowd because the huge back gate supported the track, well those days are over too.

Mike Fields
08-16-2007, 09:56 PM
SuperShafts, I have to admit that I believe based on events over the past month, that events in the near future are headed in the direction that people are going to get seriously injured or killed at the track. Why? A wide variety of reasons that I won't go into here.

However, in response to what a viewer of the blog wrote, I thought that perhaps some independent oversight should be called for. At facilities in NJ, it's the New Jersey State Police; in CT, it's the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles. Is this the right answer? Beats the heck out of me; but it is an answer.

As I've stated before, I haven't been there the past few weeks, and don't have any overwhelming desire to attend now. As far as speaking to the people in charge, you know as well as I that I wouldn't get in the front door. Also I've made my thoughts known without being in print. Because of my feelings, Barbara & Jim Cromarty have no desire to see me walking through their doors.

For that reason and the fact that we've had our media credentials revoked by the track, we are, as you've stated, left to "crying about it all over the place and kinda *****ing". I haven't stated, nor inferred, that they suck, or that they are blind. On the contrary, they know exactly what's going on, and have decided to simply turn a blind eye until such a time as their eyes are forcefully opened.

Unfortunately, the "official in charge" has no power at all when it comes to certain individuals at the track; that has been stated to me, as well as other media types in no uncertain terms by former "officials in charge".

Also, a very reliable report has it the Barbara Cromarty finally admitted this Saturday night, during a meeting at the promoters' trailer, that things were out of control in the Modified division.

"what ever the hell that blog is" is a combination of opinions, based on reports that were given to us as events were unfolding on Saturday, as well as after the fact.

SuperShafts
08-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Maybe I grew up differently, who knows?

But going on and on about it here and everywhere else on the net is going to get anything changed quickly. It might get a few eyes raised here and there...but if you feel there needs to be something done, then grab the mental patients you feel have the problem and sit them down and straighten them out...

IN your report, you say JR shouldn't be held accountable for his act pulling into the pits.... and crashing into a parked vehicle...

Now continuing on your theory of not holding him at fault

Well then, who do you hold at fault for driving like a person that just started driving yesterday...the cars....the officials fault for him not being able to deal with a racing incident....or do you want to just further point a finger at officials and put everything that happens on their shoulders as their fault...this isn't kart racing with 10 yr olds......when do they start to get it......but if you were an official, what and how could you have prevented him from driving like that and hitting the parked vehicle?

You couldn't, but you could possibly give a fine or suspension afterwards....just like what has been done...

You know what, what would you have handed out last week and this past week with the past few incidents? and if if a higher authority stepped into to interject, what would you have done?

unowho243
08-17-2007, 12:53 AM
Mike Fields, if you are so disgusted by the track don't come anymore; hearing you B--ch every week is getting annoying. I think you are out of line blaming the promoters for what happened; it was BOTH drivers faults. There's only so much officials can do... Granted, they could have done more that night, but bottom line is if a driver wants to run down people, nothing is going to stop them... Sad yes, but I wouldn't blame the promoters for this! :mad:

Mike Fields
08-17-2007, 01:19 AM
SuperShafts, I blame the drivers for an isolated incident. If it then continues, then the blame falls on the promoters for what goes on in their pit area. They are the ones that hire the officials, but don't let them do the job they're hired to do!

I won't claim that I have all the answers; but I can certainly pinpoint many of the problems.

unowho243, I came on here because my name was brought up here. I certainly didn't start this thread, and I'm not skittish about answering anybody that has anything to say to, or about, me.

As far as drivers being out of control, it has become a pattern of behavior for certain drivers that can be curtailed.

SuperShafts
08-17-2007, 10:34 AM
The officials police on track incidents, in all my experience no one policed me in any pit area, there was security at certain tracks but they couldn't even police the entire pit areas, some tracks pit areas could swallow the entire facility of RR and beyond there property lines...but I guess it's in the driver and that's what it comes down to....
Darned if I did what happened recently with the guy's I raced with......pfft they would've been all over that FOREVER, just walking up to them they would hop out of the way for such a blatant bone head move every time they got the chance, just to remind you forever..

But sir, the way you are writing the supposed reporting is more like blaming. I read it and it's like blame, blame, blame...it didn't look like reporting to me...

Reporting would have been more like this..

So and so won the race for this division and this division..and for the mod division, we had so and so win and then there was a aftermath incident in the pits with the __ car and __ car. This was a carry over from a incident stemming from lap umpteen when there was contact...now it escalated and their crew members and wives all started slapping each other and the best part..get this.... 1 car wound up hitting a parked vehicle...imagine that a race car driver hitting a parked vehicle...in the pits no less...
Spectators be careful in the pits, because they're bringing the track to the pits and you might get run over...and there ain't that much clearance under a mod like your mom's car...ouch! ! ! !

Now that is how I think if it was to be reported, should have been reported

RGeeProductions
08-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Just a note:
New Jersey and Connecticut race tracks are governed by Dept. of Motor Vehicles and have local police, or more normally, their respective State Troopers at every event and nothing is tolerated, in the parking lots, stands, pits or on the track.
New York tracks are not governed by the DMV, therefore the track is responsible.

Mike Fields
08-17-2007, 11:28 AM
SuperShafts, just a quick clarification--- I do not, nor have I ever attempted to be a reporter; that I leave to press releases. Since there are so many PR people that write them, there is no need to have another person write a "Driver A started here and finished there".

What I write is a column, which by definition, is filled with opinion. Many may agree, and many more won't agree--- that is just the nature of the beast.

As to what you claim as for me laying blame--- I will easily state that I am 100% guilty. After many years watching the inner workings of the track, what will be and won't be tolerated and by whom, that is exactly what I'm doing.

As far as the part where the wives/girlfriends got into it with each other, that is something that, by choice I have stayed away from over the years and will continue to do so. The reasoning is that is irrelevant to what the fan sees on the track. If a wife or significant other is suspended, then I don't cover it, as the fans don't see it.

However, if a driver were to say, "Oh hell, if they tossed my wife, then I'm not going back to that place", then I'd be forced to cover it as a reason why the fans don't see their favorite (or most hated) driver.

Since I dish it out at times, I can easily take criticism. I'm also willing to answer any question posed to me, whether in my blog or here on the Jam, as long as it doesn't go afoul of the guidelines set up by J.A. I hope that I've been able to answer some of yours.

RGeeProductions
08-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Supershafts. As Mike explained above, he is not a reporter. He has every right to voice his opinions as he sees it with the facts he gets. Mike's a person who seems to have a love/hate following. Either you like his "to the point" statements or you dislike what he says. Seems to be no middle ground. As I said, he has every right to do this. If you disagree with him, state what your opinions are, but don't pick on the man for what he is. And as with most things, if you dislike his commentary, just don't read them!!!!

Mike Fields
08-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Thank you Rich.

If SuperShafts (or anyone else) would like to discuss it further, without taking up all this time on the Jam, he or she can also give me a call at the number below. I'll be happy to answer any questions or concerns that thet may have, and I'll also go into my complete reasoning with them.

Realize that not everyone has been a racing fan and attended Riverhead Raceway for many years. Some may be new to the area/facility, and may not realize the pattern of behavior that is exhibited. It is quite reasonable for someone new to look at what I've written the past few weeks, and consider it to be a vendetta.

SuperShafts
08-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Im not saying you have a vendetta, and i do not think what's going on now is like the 80's, im looking at it from a then and now point of view...im new to reading a few of the different boards though, and might not be onto the same point you started with initially

I see your point with your frustration of how you feel more needs to be done to curtail people, i just don't think anything is going to be done to change it like that... Maybe quite a few people going in for a meeting together might..

Mike Fields
08-17-2007, 02:26 PM
SuperShafts, that's very possible. I know that many people would like to go in and have a meeting. Still, there is a "money talks and bologna walks" mentality that goes on there.

What you may not see are certain things going on that the hired officials ARE NOT allowed to do anything about. If they were allowed to make the calls they were hired to make, there would be a lot less venom in what I write.

For instance, when the pits are opened up after the races are over, and there are very young children running around, why is there a modified driver driving around the pit area giving rides to infants? There is not enough light there to see if a youngster darts out from behind a trailer, not having any reason to believe a race car would be driving through.

Let's face it, there are certain things that all credentialed writers/columnists/reporters/etc. have been barred from saying for years. More than once, a driver/crew member/car-owner/etc. would ask me when I would grow a pair of (male genitalia) and write what is really going on? If they were asking me that, they certainly were asking the other media types.

There is a very persistent problem at Riverhead, and this is the only avenue open to discuss it. Over the years, other avenues were privately attempted, without any success.

One of the biggest problems is what RGee and I alluded to earlier; there is no independent regulatory oversight of the facility as there is in other states outside New York. Finally, I'll end it as I believe I did earlier in another post--- I'd rather howl at the moon now, than write an obituary later. That, of course, was before the horrible incident at Thompson last night.

Mortgage Guy
08-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Mike, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but how long have Lori and yourself been going to Riverhead as reporters with credentials??

Mike Fields
08-17-2007, 03:17 PM
With credentials, we've been going since the late 90's.

Mortgage Guy
08-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Ok I am just trying to get it straight here. So let's say 1998 and I may be wrong, but credentials means in free so you can do all of your race reporting up close and personal right?? I think I am correct, and if I am wrong, and you paid to get in, then I am sorry Mike. If that is the case, let's do some quick math and I will use round #'s here. Let's say you and Lori attended an average of 16 races a year (again round #'s) at an average of $48.00 per week for the both of you. That means you attended approx 144 races over a 9 year span, give or take a few races, dollars or what ever. This means that the Cromarty's saved you almost $7,000.00 over that time (again not truly sure of the meaning of credentials). I tell you the truth, if someone saved me that kind of money, I would do my best to comment to them in private how I feel about how the track is run. I wouldn't blast them on a public forum about how bad their track and officials and announcers are if I got in FREE every week for 9 years. I would like some feedback from other people as well, not just Mike, how would you handle this if you were him? I feel if you want to bash the race track, then pay to get in and do that, otherwise talk to them in private. Again, if you paid to get in for the last 9 years Mike, I truly apologize.
I mean, you did say you were writing a column and not reporting race results, so they let you in free for you to give your opinion and now they won't let you in and your opinion is now one that bashes them. As for bashing announcers, how well did you do up at Mountain Speedway in front of a crowd of 150 people?? Not an easy job, is it?? Again, just as you state your opinion, I am stating mine. Best of luck to you and Lori at the Jersey Shore.

Mike Fields
08-17-2007, 06:50 PM
OK, let's start with the last part. How did I do at Mountain? It's hard to tell since I had nobody working alongside as I was supposed to. Quite often I received high marks from crews; however, you and I know that's often because they want their sponsor mentioned as often as possible. So with no independent comments on how I did, my guess is that I did fairly lousy, although you never know.

Taking that a step further, if I had someone like Bob Finan, Deane Mercier, Russ Dowd, etc. to help correct mistakes that I was making, a natural assumption would be that I would get better over a period of time.

Oh, and 150 people? Which night was that? I'm not sure that I ever saw that many in 2004!

Let's go to the big one, which is the finances. Let's say it was $48 per week, when Lori came with me. We would show up at about noon, walk around the pits until about 4:00pm gathering info. That's four hours right there. Then after the races on Sunday, I would sit down spending a minimum of two hours writing the column. That's a total of 6 hours. That comes to about $8.00 per hour for my work. When Lori didn't come, make that about $4.00 per hour. You don't think that's a fair trade off?

Now, about the part about me bashing the track in general. If you feel that's all I'm attempting to do, you are really missing the point. I would hope that's not the case just because you have an honest disagreement with what I've written.

As far as the officials, I'm not hammering them at all. What I am hammering is the fact that the owners aren't letting them do the job they were hired to. Generally, the officiating staff at Riverhead is pretty damned good, when they are allowed to be.

As far as the announcers, first off, you need to make that singular, not plural. Bob Finan does a job that I aspired to do; but knew that I fell way short.

Continuing with what was started at the top of this post, the normal progression would be that he would get better as his time and experience in the job grow. After perhaps five years--- well, we're still waiting.

Years of mispronunciation, completely wrong sponsors mentioned, Bob Finan bailing him out after numerous miscues, have made for a very interesting ride. That ride has ticked off drivers, crews, sponsors, and had a bunch of us in the backstretch hysterical with laughter at times.

BTW, the easy way of explaining the credentials is it being a trade-off of the facility allowing someone in for free in exchange for the coverage it brings back to the track.

Also, as you very well know, the constraints that the media are under is that there is no negative press allowed. There were times during various off-seasons that I wrote tongue-in-cheek columns, and thought the sky was falling by the reaction from the track. If someone posts something on this message board that isn't exactly rosy toward the track the phones are burning up the wires between the track office and JA/WJ.

While I was on the media list for the track, I couldn't write anything that was negative at all. That was the deal; not just for me, but for anyone covering the track.

Now that the track has pulled our media credentials, I feel that I can write a more realistic appraisal of the goings-on at the facility. If I still had credentials, I could never write the columns I'm writing now, although I'd like to, and have wanted to do this for years. Still, while I was credentialed, I feel that I kept to my part of the bargain.

Finally, you have every right to your opinion, and you can express it here, as well as you being invited to answer any of my blog entries, or call me on the phone to discuss it. You know how to get a hold of me.

Regards,

Tower Man
08-17-2007, 06:58 PM
I was staying away from this one due to a couple of people telling me how negative I was being in this forum, but I can sit no longer.

Mortgage Guy, you hit the nail right on the head. And yes, it's been since 1998, when Mike Fields walked into Oval Speed during Fuel Cell inspections, pad in hand, looking for information. As time went on I got to know Mike.

As I got to know Mike more, I realized he was more about controversy and very little on the positive side of what went on at Riverhead Raceway. In fact, one week Mike used his spot in Area Auto Racing News to bash a driver and ignored the fact that a long time competitor won his first feature.

Many times I spoke with Mike to help guide him in a positive manner. It became so bad that I finally asked Barbara & Jim to keep him and his negativity out of the pit area, which lasted a couple of years. He came back and in the beginning he was good. Helped teams with hero cards, wrote about sponsors etc....

I always advised him to report facts and leave personal opinion out. Don't bash and gather all facts before putting it in print.

The people involved at Riverhead work hard to keep it going. The drivers, the owners, the officials and yes, the promotors.

Sorry Mike, you really crossed the line this time.

Mike Fields
08-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Not bad Joe. Actually, I hammered three drivers in all these years; and one of those three was up at Waterford. Two of those were in the AARN.

As far as negativity, my columns generally (although not always) reflect what happens at the track the previous Saturday night. I don't make the racing negative or positive; I generally have the column reflect the flavor of what happened that week.

By the way, now that you've decided to weigh in on the subject, do you think it will help you get the Chief Steward position back in 2008? If so, then good luck.

LongIslandJam
08-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Let's not get into each other personal beefs.

Mike has the right to express his opinions on his site, whether you like it or not. The first amendment is there to protect the rights of those who you disagree with, not so much those who you agree with.

Secondly, press credentials at any track is a privilege, not a right. Since it's a privilege, all tracks expect some positive promotion from your work. Each track has varying degrees of tolerance of negativity, but most are pretty lenient, as long as you provide both sides to a story (this is called fair and balanced journalism).

Thirdly, in the past few years, the Jam and Riverhead's relationship has grown stronger as we work together to promote racing, better the racing, and listen to each other ideas. We do not necessarily agree with each other at times, but we both come to an understanding. 9 out of 10 times in the past few years, WE have been making the calls as WE WANT the other side of the story, as that's the right thing to do.

And lastly, remember there's a difference between power and influence. Influence is the key to achieving change. I'll leave it at that.

Mike Fields
08-17-2007, 09:27 PM
JA, you are, of course, correct, and I realize that we were just stating to get personal. I will take care not to do so, and will, if needed, take it off your board and onto my site if it continues to go in this vein.

I have no problem answering legitimate questions and concerns from those that ask them. When it gets personal, then I can also respond the same way if needed. I hope that it doesn't become needed.

modified_fan
08-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Perhaps there is bitterness on that other website. It is his site, and it is his right to show his viewpoint. We learn from most all viewpoints here and elsewhere in life.

Last weekend was ugly. The safety of many in the pits was compromised. One can not just blow off Mike's words as sour grapes, and merely hope at this was a one time occurrence.

Mike Fields
08-17-2007, 09:51 PM
I might as well throw this in as well. If anyone wants to take this to a personal level, we can take it away from the Jam and put it on my blog. It should be noted that I have kept everyone of my books that I've taken notes in except the first few from the first year I started writing. For that reason, if anyone wishes to get personal with me, I'll use the statements that they've given to me over the years, and assume everything that was told to me off the record by that individual is no longer off the record--- but only if it gets personal by any particular person.

That being said, I'll give everyone my word that any blog responses received will be put up subject with the following conditions:

1) Nothing of any pornographic vein will be permitted.
2) Nothing obscene will be permitted.
3) It you want to be accusatory towards me, I'll also print it.
4) It will be edited for grammar and spelling.

Fat Albert
08-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Whew! Mike, you really are something! I've never seen anyone get in so much trouble and cause so much controversy simply by telling the truth! Let's face it, some people "can't handle the truth!" I don't think you've been negative at all in the past 9 years. You're only fault is your honesty! (If that can be a fault). You've reported on the problems at Riverhead, with the hope that maybe somebody was listening and maybe they'd do something to fix the problems instead of letting them fester and lead us to the mess we have now (low car counts, no fans and fighting and chaos every week). I've seen enough of it that I don't go there anymore. Instead of b-----ing and moaning about it I hit the road and found the kind of Modified racing I remember 20, 30and 40 years ago and it's called The True Value Modified Racing Series! A Modified tour where drivers race with respect and officials officiate. So it's off to Seekonk in the morning to get that old time Modified excitement. The fact that I'd rather travel 3 to 6 hours each way every weekend rather than 20 minutes down the expressway to go to Riverhead pretty much sums up the sad state of affairs out there. Sorry if that sounds negative, but it's the truth!
P.S. I'm glad I wasn't there last week, because I've been known to hang out at the parts truck (although not likely during the Modified feature). But still I'm glad I wasn't there to witness the whole ugly mess.

Mike Fields
08-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Doug, last Saturday, I was in St. Francis with Congestive Heart Failure. My cell phone was ringing off the hook from about late afternoon. Although it may look like bitterness, I assure you that it wasn't; it was frustration for the reasons previously stated. I'd rather scream and rant now that have to come up with writing the type of story that we all hate to see. That is what I'm hoping to prevent.

I'm certainly not being self-centered when I say that Barbara & Jim Cromarty know exactly what I write within 24 hours of it going up--- not that they look themselves (although they might); but because certain employees at the track can't wait to tell them, "Look, that damned Fields did it again!"

I will also hope with you, that what happened the other night was a one-time occurrence. However, it looks more like a pattern of behavior to me. Hopefully, events will prove me wrong.

Hey George, you wouldn't have an extra seat in that car, would you? LOL

44Magnum
08-18-2007, 12:09 AM
I think you are out of line blaming the promoters for what happened; it was BOTH drivers faults. There's only so much officials can do... Granted, they could have done more that night, but bottom line is if a driver wants to run down people, nothing is going to stop them... Sad yes, but I wouldn't blame the promoters for this! :mad:

unowho243:

If you have kept up with what has been repeatedly expressed in this thread and the other thread involving the incident last Saturday night, it should have become apparent to you by now that "there's only so much the officials can do" particularly when their hands are tied by the promoters, who appear to have decreed a "Hands Off " policy with respect to a particular driver. Mike Fields is by no means the only person to have made that point.

So yeah, based on the preponderance of evidence of what many of us have experienced first hand, and have seen with our own eyes for many years, I'm going with Mike on this one. I've known Mike for a long time, and I can tell you that there are few people around who know more or care more about racing than he does. For you, it's a hobby; for Mike, it's his livelihood. Based on your profile, I think it's fair to say that Mike has been around the racing business far longer than you've been on this earth, and he has probably forgotten more about racing than you know at the ripe old age of 20.

If you and others want to simply be mindless cheerleaders for what goes on out at Riverhead, hey, be my guest. It's your money. If empty stands, abysmal car counts and a lack of self-discipline and respect among the drivers in almost all divisions haven't gotten through to you by now, what else is there to say other to offer you the wisdom of an old proverb:

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

Tower Man:

Your contribution to this thread, self-serving as always, speaks for itself. During your tenure as Chief Steward, you were more often part of the problem, rather than the solution, notwithstanding your recent efforts to re-write history on this forum. Some of us remember how it really was!

Tower Man
08-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Mike...presently I am still under contract with NASCAR. I am not presently seeking the Chief Steward's position at Riverhead. Jim and Mike have those positions, as you well know.

If the opportunity presented itself, I would have to consider it, as I would any opportunity. Whether or not it would, is way out there. A select few do not want me there anyway, So let's stick to the subject at hand.

I'll end with this comment, not only to Mike Fields, but to all....

"If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem!"

Mike Fields
08-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Joe, I'm very aware of your current position, as well as who is currently the Co-Chief Stewards. Whether or not I want any particular person in that job is totally irrelevant.

It certainly isn't up to me to say who should be there or not. The entire point that I tried to raise is that it is totally immaterial who the Chief Steward is now, has been in the past, or will be in the future, it that person or persons aren't allowed to do the job they are hired for.

The fact that certain people infuse money, supplies, etc. into the track is not the question. I think that it is terrific that they do. That makes for a fuller, more rounded show and entertainment experience for the person who brings his/her family once a year for a bus demo, roll-over, Enduro, etc.

However, when one of these same people step way over the line, they are not subject to the same rules that the average racer is subject to. And dependent upon how those lines are crossed, it can be very dangerous for fellow racers, crew-members, car-owners, and fans after the pits are opened when the racing has concluded.

It's horrible enough that the racing community lost a hard charger the other night. As I've stated before, I don't want to see someone seriously hurt, or worse, for something that could have been avoided by having some proper oversight.

Perhaps you should consider that being part of the solution, is at times, acknowledging that there is a problem to begin with!

LongIslandJam
08-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Maybe you guys should PM each other and chat... Could produce wonders... But since this is becoming a public PM, thread closed.