PDA

View Full Version : Preparation And Good Finishes Lead Hirschman To Central Region Title

RGeeProductions
08-20-2007, 07:50 AM
By pulling into the pits on Saturday night at the Mahoning Valley Speedway. 2005 Overall Race of Champions Modified Tour Champion Matt Hirschman of Northampton, Pa. clinched the 2007 Race of Champions Dart Asphalt Modified Tour Central Region Championship.

Matt had a solid season in the Central Region with a win at Oswego on May 13th and second place finishes at Wall on June 23rd and at Oswego on June 21st. On Saturday night at Mahoning Valley Matt finished seventh and Matt received 20 bonus points for either winning a heat race or being one of the four fastest time trailers in a time trial show during Central Region events. Matt's other finish in the Central Region was a disappointing 24th at Mahoning Valley on June 9th.

In accordance with the RoC Dart Rulebook the driver's worst finish from all the races he competed in is dropped from the final Regional point standings. With Matt's 24th place finish being dropped his final point tally was 232, which was 40 points more than fellow Northampton, Pa. Eric Beers who ended up second with 192.

“ Good finishes reward you with points and it shows with this Championship as we had it wrapped up before we raced tonight “ said the second generation driver. “ This car been really good and it is a fast car that finishes races. “

Matt spoke about the preparation on this car that took him to the Central Region Championship this year. “ Basically it is myself and Frank, we do the majority of the work on the car. Of course my dad he's around to help oversee things as well. I also have other help at the tracks and that helps a lot too. “

Matt who runs the Whelen Tour full time also said. “ When the initial schedules came out I knew I cold make all of the Central Region races as long as the weather didn't mess things up. So that was our goal from the beginning was to run all of the RoC races and it ended up that we had no conflicts with the Central Region. We had the car in both regions to score a lot of points this year. “

“ Anytime you can associate yourself with the word champion, it means a lot. Doesn't matter if it's Little League or anything in racing, it's always an honor to be a champion. We'll take this and see where we stack up when the final three combination races come around and contend for the overall championship “ said Matt.

FINAL RACE OF CHAMPIONS DART ASPHALT MODIFIED TOUR CENTRAL REGION POINT STANDINGS ( TOP 12 )

Matt Hirschman 232
Eric Beers 192
Lee Sherwood 176
Pete Brittain 167
Zane Zeiner 156
John Markovic 152
Phil Slater 125
Rusty Smith 119
Daren Scherer 110
Earl Paules 106
Andy Szapacs 82
Matt Clemens 69