PDA

View Full Version : Old Timers Day Cancelled

J.D.
08-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Anybody know why it was canceled ? I was looking forward to looking at the old cars.:(

randomrodder
08-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Where did you hear this?

LongIslandJam
08-21-2007, 07:23 PM
It's on the main page of www.RiverheadRaceway.com

W. J.
08-21-2007, 08:12 PM
It's too bad there's no further explanation.:confused:

Mack
08-21-2007, 08:13 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: I can't believe that there won't be an old timer's day this Sunday. Marty Himes has been doing this, every last weekend in August, for as long as I can remember. Why would anybody want to stop such a great weekend event like this, is totally beyond me? It was great to see some of those old cars from yesteryear and the drivers who drove them. God, tell me this isn't so. That it's all a dream and I'm going to wake up in a minute. Somebody's got to open their eyes and see the light. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The Bullfather
08-21-2007, 08:19 PM
awwwww man I love getting to see the old cars on the track and getting to see and talk with some of old time drivers. One of things I look foward to each year. boooooo bad move, ah Wonder why it was?

The Bullfather
08-21-2007, 08:20 PM
All thoses drivers, one day, once a year get to bring thoses cars out at Riverhead and bring them around the track too. Could they re-schedule it for a day in Sept. or Oct.?

EDGEnterprises
08-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Old Timer's Day 2007 Has Been Cancelled due to the LACK OF INTEREST of the Cromarty's of Riverhead Raceway. Marty Himes was informed TODAY that the reunion has been canceled, and WILL NOT be made up at the Riverhead Raceway facility.

At this time we are pursuing other ideas, and hoping to hold a bigger and better Old Timer's Reunion at another place in the near future. Please keep in contact The Himes Museum of Motor Racing Nostalgia, and we'll keep you up to date on all of what is going on...

The cancellation of the reunion was a total SHOCK to Marty Himes (My Grandfather). And not to mention the LAST MINUTE cancellation on the part of Riverhead Raceway. They supposedly said they have posted it on the RR homepage for the past two weeks, while I personally have visited the site on and off for the past two weeks to see if there were any press releases or anything on the reunion coming up... So that bit of information on the TWO WEEKS is a load of crap.

... At this point ... Marty Himes, and the ENTIRE Himes Museum gang will NEVER step foot on the Riverhead Raceway facility. This is very frustrating and hard on him, since the reunion was known to be the LAST Sunday of August each year...

Well OVER AND OUT.. Any more info needed contact me or Marty Himes

www.thehimesmuseum.com

Thanks!!

EDGEnterprises
08-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Also...
Sunday, August 26th, 2007... Marty Himes and The Himes Museum gang would like to invite you all to his Museum located in Bay Shore, NY.

You can browse the museum, talk to old drivers, and cheer him up. He is really pretty upset as well as pissed off at the situation...

15 O'Neil Avenue
Bay Shore, NY 11706
631-666-4912

www.thehimesmuseum.com

Thanks!

Jaws
08-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Is it that they have just given up ? :confused:

The fights, officials quitting, low car counts, empty stands, canceled old timers day???? And they have angered Marty Himes, one of the guys who really cares and puts his heart and soul into racing.

It's sad what has become of the track.

I know the Cromartys are getting older, but please turn the track over to someone who will keep the place going.:help:

There was a time we lived for Saturday night at the Head!

Not any more!:mad:

JMO.

vintagemod11
08-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Unfortunately, the Flying 11 replica '37 Chevy Coupe of Ray Hendrick will not be at this Sundays Old Timers reunion, as we too received the call from Marty Himes of the cancellation. For the Racing fans, please visit our vintage clubs website, www.seniortourautoracers.com and check out some of the upcoming vintage car shows in the New England area. We have a great assortment of antique race cars, both original and replica, and put on a very competitive show at the tracks we run at. According to Kevin Basik, the recent vintage racing event from the Waterford Speedbowl will be on Long Island Cable channel 20 Sept. 5th, at 2 am. This will be well worth it as both the STAR and NEAR groups were there for track time, as well as the ACOT midgets. Program the VCR race fans. as you will not be disappointed. Not just because the Flying 11 won the STAR Modified Feature, but because it is a real throwback to times when I think racing was at its best.

Mack
08-21-2007, 09:57 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause: GOOD NEWS !!! Marty Himes old timers day has found a new home. I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag just yet. Were work out the details as we speak. I talked to Marty on the phone a few minutes ago and gave him the good news. I can tell you, it's going to be in October. So keep a look out for more details. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Mack
08-21-2007, 10:01 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause: GOOD NEWS !!! Marty Himes old timers day has found a new home. I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag just yet. Were work out the details as we speak. I talked to Marty on the phone a few minutes ago and gave him the good news. I can tell you, it's going to be in October. So keep a look out for more details. :applause: :applause: :applause:
Marty is still having the open house this Sunday, at his place in Bay Shore. So go and say hello and cheer him up.

randomrodder
08-21-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm glad a new venue has been found for Old Timer's Day, can't wait to hear where it is. As far as how I feel about RR cancelling the Re-Union and the way it was done, I'll keep those thoughts to myself. But, I have a feeling most of you can relate to them.

broz
08-21-2007, 11:34 PM
My question is will the Cromarty's be refunding air fare to those who made plans and booked travel well in advance of any "supposed" 2 week notice?:mad:
They are getting old and it's shame they have lost all sense of reality when it comes to handling the "business" of running that fine old track.

I won't speak for my Father, but I'll find it very hard to encourage him to get back to RR. :disgusted

It's been a landmark season for the ole' joint! :rolleyes:

allhailunc
08-22-2007, 06:41 AM
The Cromarty's/Riverhead upsetting people? Nah, never happen. Boy am I glad I've found other things to do with my Saturday nights. Cancelling Marty's day of glory is just another classic example of people not giving a hoot except for the almighty dollar and I'm damn glad Marty that you and your great operation have found another home.:wave: God bless the folks such as Marty. :applause: :applause: :applause:

SuperShafts
08-22-2007, 10:42 AM
At this time we are pursuing other ideas, and hoping to hold a bigger and better Old Timer's Reunion at another place in the near future. Please keep in contact The Himes Museum of Motor Racing Nostalgia, and we'll keep you up to date on all of what is going on...

Thanks!!

Have Mr.Himes contact all his freinds and contact the powers at Riverhead...especially Mr. Cardinale...and tell them that they support the Rex Corp plans for EPCAL at Riverhead....
When that happens, I will speak with my friends and make sure you have a place to play with the old cars and have your day there at that facility...

Fat Albert
08-22-2007, 11:58 AM
What a total disgrace and a crying shame! This is just a slap in the face to all who have raced in the past at Isilp and Riverhead and to all the fans of Long Island racing. And to do this to Marty, who has done so much for us all, is just disgusting. I'm so glad I stopped going to that place. I go to the races every weekend to see Modified racing and I travel several hours, but I won't go to the Head! I hope the Cromartys' are real proud of themselves as they go down in history as the people who put an end to the great tradition of auto racing on Long Island.

btgoss
08-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Oh Well what a letdown!.

(that was the song that was playing when I hit the forum page, and now I know why..)

I am not going to say that I won't be going to the track again after this, seriously I only get there once or twice a year...so no great loss, but this is really not good.

We really need someone to come along and set things right out there. We are seriously missing a Big Bob O'Rouke type of person. Someone who would make the right things happen (more often than not), and keep the majority of people happy (or at least not angry)

I hope to hear the news of the new reunion soon.

I now have to try and tell my father and my son, who have been talking about going to the track this weekend, that we aren't going. I guess we will head to the slot car place in Farmingdale for a few laps instead.

SuperShafts
08-22-2007, 12:20 PM
I am not taking sides, but they own the track and all they said was there was a lack of interest, now looking at how the stands are lack of seated people....
That might be the reason why there not going to do it...

Anyone ever ask them about a track rental day? or just what they might want for renting the track....
Other tracks do it and it usually isn't that expensive..

After reading a few posts in here...it's a wonder it's open at all...

Some of you really need to calm down, who goes once or twice a year, who doesn't go at all, who barely goes... They made a call judging on the attendence that's all...they didn't call you names...

If I open a laundry mat......

turn1cowboy
08-22-2007, 12:47 PM
All I've got to say is I CAN'T BELIVE IT.

EDGEnterprises
08-22-2007, 12:57 PM
The Cromarty's DID NOT even have the guts to call Marty and let him know to his face. They had their "Operations Manager" call him early yesterday morning and tell him its off due to the LACK OF INTEREST.:mad:

We are working on a few new things to do with the Old Timer's Day. And it will NOT feature Riverhead Raceway. :disgusted

Marty's museum is FREE for everyone who goes there. He likes to talk to people, and talk racing as well as past racing history. With Old Timer's Day @ Riverhead... It brought him to the track to mingle and speak with old friends and see new faces as well. Now he sits at his home/museum and waits for a phone call, or a visitor to stop by. This is all done out of pocket on his expense. Donations are welcome, but with no visitors, and no Old Timer's Day... There are no donations, or anything of that matter.

If everyone would like to stop by the Museum on Sunday, August 26th... There will be many people showing up from all around, and Diecasts, toys, and other memorabilia for sale... You can browse the museum, get autographs, and just enjoy the day... Marty, MY GRANDFATHER would love to continue to see these people who have supported him through the years! Don't give up on Auto Racing due to the LACK OF INTEREST of Riverhead Raceway/The Cromarty Family...:mad: :mad:

Any questions, PLEASE Call Marty Himes @ 631-666-4912 or visit the website @ thehimesmuseum.com.

Thank You for your time, and continued support of Marty Himes & His Racing Museum as well as the Old Timer's that make it all possible!

W. J.
08-22-2007, 01:02 PM
:) Thanks for the invitation, Bryan. I think as many of us as possible should show up at Marty's museum on Sunday, from 10AM on I would guess, since that was the original start time of the other show.
Let's show some support for the one person who helps keep LI auto racing history alive and well, and provide proof, in fact, that there is a good level of interest in this. ;)

If anyone needs directions to get there, here is a link to a map so you can find it

www.flyinbryan.com/himes/directions.html

vsmidge68
08-22-2007, 01:05 PM
For the people who were going it's a pretty big deal. These guys look forward to these things and to just call it off is a huge letdown. For some people, seeing the old cars and the veteran drivers brings back memories. I guess that means nothing. Anyway aren't the Go Karts going to be there? So what's the big deal? I just don't get it...

W. J.
08-22-2007, 01:12 PM
It was announced over the PA Saturday night at Riverhead that the go-karts were NOT going to be there for the Old Timers Show.

randomrodder
08-22-2007, 01:20 PM
I've been going to the Old Timer's Re-Union for a number of years now. I stopped by Marty's place about 4 months or so ago with a friend visiting from Tenn. Marty was involved in a parade that day and no one was home so my buddy had to settle with looking through the gates and around corners.
Pete and I should be there Sunday.

Some would be surprised at how far and wide Marty is known in stock car circles up and down the east coast.

SuperShafts
08-22-2007, 02:43 PM
We are working on a few new things to do with the Old Timer's Day. And it will NOT feature Riverhead Raceway. :disgusted

That's a great outlook, the track that did host the old timer event is just bad mouthed....now because your upset

Did you try and work with them...possibly maybe RENT the track....

I understand your grandfather does this for free..but people working the track might not want to work free and if people don't come and even somewhat fill the stands...someone does have to pay for it

SuperShafts
08-22-2007, 03:08 PM
OK, I called and asked about renting the track...and apparently unless it's open for racing only! it's not opened, so you can't rent the track apparently. Then again, I haven't the faintest idea who I spoke with at the track and if that's a track rule or town rule....or God knows...I'm not even sure

hollywoodmic
08-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Super Shafts that was going to be my question, What does it cost the Himes Museum to put this thing on? Does the Museum make money for this show?

Fat Albert I'm surprised at your reaction to the Cromarty's, "They put an end to great racing tradition on Long Island". It's been millions of dollars per acre for years and they are still racing, they didn't sell. If they didn't keep that track going over the last 30 years, you may never have heard of Stephen Park, Tom Baldwin Jr., Mike Wheeler, Donny Lia, Mike Ewantisko, John Fortin, Chuck Steuer, Howie Brode. You would have never won your Championships with Billy Park without Riverhead Raceway. I know you loved that. You have a right to your opinion for not going now, you found a better brand of racing for you. I've got to tell you though, it must be pretty expensive to do that as well, because I haven't seen the Vogle's, Johnny Bush, David Roys or any other Long Islanders in the rundown for quite a few races. I enjoy the TVMRS as well, you know that. Where have all the Long Islanders gone?? Heck Tony Anello was at Riverhead Saturday Night.

I don't know why they cancelled it, I wish they didn't, but there is no LONG ISLAND RACING without this family, bottom line. You guys can hate all you want, but at some point it has to be about business. I am sad for Marty, I know he loved to do this. Perhaps if you had some sponsors, or something, it may work. I do believe Marty makes out financially on this deal as well for all the work he does. Perhaps you'll find a new venue. It's just a shame it happened in the first place.

SuperShafts
08-22-2007, 03:36 PM
I don't know who was on the phone...but I'm speculating again...

Sounded kinda like if it's not racing, it's not allowed to be open. So, as i was trying to go on about, well if I rent the track and use it to race, is that ok? I got we are not open unless it's racing...at which point I wasn't sure how the last question was percieved and I wasn't about to try it another way, I was gonna ask what about renting for practice....but I figured that one just might tick them off..

Like Hollywood said.....Calm down, you guy's are always ready to punish the track for everything and boycott it and this and that and the other thing and daaaaamnnnn....I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cromarty's burned at the stake.....

Everyone forgets where they came from, and how they got there....

EDGEnterprises
08-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Hollywoodmic

The Museum makes NOTHING off the event of Old Timer's Day. But through the donations from loyal friends, and fans... The Museum keeps going! This is a Non-Profit Museum, fully based on donations... Whatever donations that are collected, are used for towing costs, fuel costs, repair costs, and anything else involved in keeping the museum running at home and at all the events that Marty attends with his cars...

btgoss
08-22-2007, 03:48 PM
My comments about only going to the track once or twice a year had been meant to illustrate that I had been looking forward to this event, and it was one of the few events that I really try to attend.

I am thankful that the track is still there, and I really think there needs to be a solid partnership between racers and the track. Perhaps something like a racing club, like the old Danbury track. But that is for another thread.

I remember going to an event in Nassau, at Mitchell field, that celebrated the Vanderbilt cup racing that started on the island. They let a bunch of guys, Marty Himes included, tear *** around the roads surrounding Mitchell field.

We made a day of it and saw the Nascar movie at the IMAX theater and then watched the cars. Does anyone know what that event was never repeated?

EDGEnterprises
08-22-2007, 04:07 PM
100th Anniversary of the Vanderbuilt Cup Race. That was the event Marty Himes took the Jim Hendrickson #x3 on the roads around Mitchell Field...

100th year anniversary only comes once, That's the ONLY reason it wasn't a yearly event.

NYI
08-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Marty Himes is one of the greatest racing people I know. I am calling on all RACERS to park their cars this week in support of marty. Let see who the real racers are.
John Denniston
JYD Enterprises Inc

randomrodder
08-22-2007, 04:26 PM
I was always surprised that the turn outs weren't better for the OTR over the years. That includes present day drivers coming out to chat it up with their forefathers, so to speak, by honoring them with their presence.

Maybe something like this is EXACTLY what was/is needed? To rile up enough interest to get more people involved in what the day, the museum and Marty Himes are all about. Oh yeah, and what old school racing was.

I know I've enjoyed jawing with Johnny Coy, Jimmy Reed and many others over the years. Bring the kids Sunday and educate em :wave: to what racing was all about back in the day.

Tower Man
08-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Hey Hollywood, you hit the nail on the head. I'm pretty sure this reunion event was orchestrated by Bill Denniston. He too worked long and hard for that day. Towing cars throughout the night to insure their attendence. But Bill is all but gone from the Riverhead racing scene.

Barbara & Jim are in business to make money. An Old Timer's Reunion does nothing for them. No fannies in the seats and no money in their pockets.

To say you'll never go back because of this is crazy. Who do you hurt? Like Hollywood said, this is the family that keeps racing alive. They are business people. I am sure thery will be in their trailer Saturday night. Why doesn't someone go speak with them?

2-4-6-8 (Just trying to remain positive.)

SuperShafts
08-22-2007, 04:39 PM
I am calling on all RACERS to park there cars this week in support of marty. Lets see who the real racers are.
John Denniston
JYD Enterprises Inc

LMAO

This is what they do best...complain, you will get them to complain....

The racers will find something more important to do....

However this is really getting insanely dopey.....how come no one gets this worked up over getting a track, or do you all just want to visit museums...keep this up it's all your gonna have...pictures...awesome..lets throw the pictures real fast....

W. J.
08-22-2007, 05:20 PM
I spoke to Debra at the track office this afternoon. She confirmed that Sunday's show is cancelled, but said they are "looking at a few different dates later in the season to possibly reschedule it." She did not give a reason for the cancellation.

Let's leave it at that for now, and hold all the unkind comments for now, or we will close the thread and subject.

EDGEnterprises
08-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Museums are here to Educate the Present, and the Future of what happened in Past Racing History... Marty Himes has done nothing but educate, and inform everyone of what racing was really like back then. And has TRIED to keep the memory of old racing alive...

Having the go-karts there on the days of Old Timer's Day, was a good experience for all the young go-kart racers out there. Looking at all those neat, and cool looking designed race cars... and not these cookie cutter chassis race cars.

Honestly, as of now Marty Himes will NEVER look for another date to hold Old Timer's Day @ Riverhead Raceway. He is not interested in a make up date, a rain date, a rescheduled date, or any date of that matter. For what they have done to him... NOTHING will ever make it be right. He feels that everything is coming to an end for Racing History, and that it's time to close the doors to the museum. If all you people support Old Time Racing... Then lets get to the museum on Sunday, August 26th, 2007 from 10am on... There will be plenty of people there. Picture books to look through, diecast dealers will be there. It will be another great event, WITHOUT dealing with the hassles of the race track atmosphere.

I just left the Museum, and Marty is working on the Ace of Spades. Changed a carb. to get it to start and run. This is a dedicated man... Lets keep racing history alive, and support Marty and his museum...

Thanks!:cheers:

Jaws
08-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Wow,

We should start a thread "As Riverhead Raceway Turns"!!!

Its a huge soap opera when it should be a RACE TRACK!!

Are they trying to ruin the track so they HAVE TO SELL?

I can already see the headlines. "We tried to make a go of it but we had no cars or fans so we had to sell"

Mack
08-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Have Mr.Himes contact all his freinds and contact the powers at Riverhead...especially Mr. Cardinale...and tell them that they support the Rex Corp plans for EPCAL at Riverhead....
When that happens, I will speak with my friends and make sure you have a place to play with the old cars and have your day there at that facility...

:wave: Just to let everyone know. We have already found a new permanent home for Marty to hold his Reunions. When you show up on Sunday at Marty's house, you be be informed of the new location.

vsmidge68
08-23-2007, 05:21 AM
"It was announced over the PA Saturday night at Riverhead that the go-karts were NOT going to be there for the Old Timers Show."

I guess I missed that announcement. My hearing is shot. I beg forgiveness...

The Bullfather
08-23-2007, 06:37 AM
The reason why go-kart were not scheduled for old timers time, was too..... give the old cars more time on the track!

W. J.
08-23-2007, 06:50 AM
I guess I missed that announcement. My hearing is shot. I beg forgiveness...

Not to worry, it was announced on the PA in the pit area. And it was for the reason Bullfather mentioned.

attituderacing
08-23-2007, 07:35 AM
The reason the go-karts where not scheduled was because they have a regional scheduled at Thunder Road, Vermont and some of the club members run this series, so they do not race on conflicting weekends.
Linda Solomito

SuperShafts
08-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Museums are here to Educate the Present, and the Future of what happened in Past Racing History... Marty Himes has done nothing but educate, and inform everyone of what racing was really like back then. And has TRIED to keep the memory of old racing alive...
:

Dangerous and sometimes deadly, the best thing would be to show the tracks and how numerous they were back then...from brooklyn to long island, how racing improved the everyday cars these numskulls that don't want us to race or have a track drive now

Honestly, as of now Marty Himes will NEVER look for another date to hold Old Timer's Day @ Riverhead Raceway. He is not interested in a make up date, a rain date, a rescheduled date, or any date of that matter. For what they have done to him... NOTHING will ever make it be right. He feels that everything is coming to an end for Racing History, and that it's time to close the doors to the museum.

This is exactly what i love about the racing community.....

GOD FORBID something doesn't go perfectly right...

You all quit, complain, piss all over everything, bad mouth everything, and everyone.....

Look your gonna run away now and hide in a museum with PARKED cars....we have enough of looking at parked cars in just about any parking lot from 1 end of long island to the other on any given night you can look at a parked car from any time and year....

The only place you have...HAD...to use the cars as intended is...WAS... riverhead...rather then find out why, what can be, or could be, something done....look at you, you sound like the thousands of racing community people i have wasted so much of my time and money on....yet i still haven't quit or given up

We want, but no one does anything, just like this...have you called and spoke with them....see if something might be changed....nope...damn i did, and it sure as ____ ain't my museum and not 1 of those cars are mine either..

If all you people support Old Time Racing... Then lets get to the museum on Sunday, August 26th, 2007 from 10am on... There will be plenty of people there. Picture books to look through, diecast dealers will be there. It will be another great event, WITHOUT dealing with the hassles of the race track atmosphere.

Listen to you...the track is the devil now...
Enjoy your sunday looking at the history...pay special attention to the now all gone history tracks of what you had and what was, use that to let it remind you how easily people quit and give up on something.
I have seen enough pictures of what we had, when does it ever sink in to do something about that...

MACK....im tired of hanging out in parking lots and looking at PARKED cars and pictures of used to be, no offense i would rather work on something more productive, a parade, another rally....

Bring those cars to bridgehampton on Sept 30th...Remember Bridgehampton, you might be able to use those cars on the very very small remainder of that track...part of the front stretch and turn 1 and 2....
See you there, bring the history to history, it might make you wake up and come to your senses on what's important.....
IF, if you truly care

EDGEnterprises
08-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Supershafts...

If your tired of parked cars and looking at pictures, then why don't you get up and help organize something productive. You sit here and go on and on about parked cars and pictures. Some people actually care about these "Parked Cars", these were people's race cars who are no longer with us, there are hundreds of thousands of pictures of old race cars and drivers, which was once someones hero, someones relative, someones parent, or even friend. Keep knocking museums... I'd like to see you put in as much effort as my grandfather does to keep the Memory of Old Racing, and Memory of NEW Racing alive. He has done this for how many years now?

Go do your research... Get up off your chair and do something. We've made enough phone calls to the facility. NO ONE had or HAS any answers to any questions that are asked. AND no one wants to cooperate with us to do anything. This is why we have moved on to a BETTER venue. Why should we deal with these people? Lack of Interest in the History of Auto Racing... Sad if you ask me!

SuperShafts
08-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Apparently you do not get out much....

Ask around about the 4 different rallies we had, and what for...

All the paper work, stickers and info...yours truly sir...

IM out of my chair everyday, talking with different legislators and giving them clueless leaders better ideas...i have had several interviews to see them chopped up and not ask the hard questions that would have let you see how clueless your leaders are...that a lot of you feel are great...

Truth is that since i get out of my cahir and fund my own beliefs and see and spoken to thousands of people by myself, handed out explained one on one...begged to listen, but are to busy...i know 1st hand where they are....

That's why RR said there is no interest, and i will agree with them...i know 1st hand

You ready for the truth....

There is no unity in the motorsports community, there is no heart, but there full of complainers...and having said that, i have and do still spend and waste my money in the hopes of getting and fighting for a new track....

EVEN THOUGH the people i represent do not stand behind me 100%....truth is it's more like 10%

How do i know because i have been out of my chair for the past 7 years...fighting amongst them to get them to fight back.

art11758
08-23-2007, 01:37 PM
You ready for the truth....

There is no unity in the motorsports community, there is no heart, but there full of complainers...and having said that, i have and do still spend and waste my money in the hopes of getting and fighting for a new track....

EVEN THOUGH the people i represent do not stand behind me 100%....truth is it's more like 10%

How do i know because i have been out of my chair for the past 7 years...fighting amongst them to get them to fight back.

Well said.....

SuperShafts
08-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Thank you Art

In case you missed my point EDGE....

The fault you are putting on the owners and RR is not theres...

The fault is the public, it is there lack of interest that is most likely the reason they (RR) can't put on the event...

It's not a parking lot that has no paid employees to man it...

If you need to point a finger...point it at the people not the track..

I want to see a road course, a contest of speed lanes, maybe even a slightly different oval...but at the same time i wouldn't abandone nor treat RR or there owners as the devil and or look to roast them at the stake...

EDGEnterprises
08-23-2007, 02:01 PM
SuperShafts...

The fault is on the owner's of Riverhead Raceway. They have hosted the event each year since 2000. No questions asked, and they enjoyed it. They even showed up themselves quite a few times at the events... It is THEIR LACK OF INTEREST, not the publics. There is a great deal of interest in Old Timer's Day. People are traveling in from California, Florida, North Carolina, and other places as well. You can try to tell me that there is no interest in the event by fans, when you can see that there is an interest. Every person that I have talked to... that did not know the event was canceled and for what reason it was canceled for... was "slightly" ticked off to say the least. People WAIT ALL YEAR to come see this event. See 20+ old cars hit the Historic Riverhead Raceway.

Its not our fault that it doesn't put big money in their pockets. This is not a circus act, this is the real deal. A Genuine Man, Marty Himes... Looking to put on a spectacular event each and every year for everyone to enjoy. Guess you have never had the chance to experience the Museum, or the Old Cars that make up the Racing History that he has been preserved each and everyday of his life for the past 50+ years... And for all the people that particpate in bringing all the old cars to the event...

See YOU all Sunday, if you truely care about Racing History. 10am @ The Himes Museum of Motor Racing Nostalgia.

631-666-4912 or thehimesmuseum.com for more information on the Musuem or Racing History!

Directions to the Museum are located on The Himes Museum homepage, and if you have any questions please feel free to PM me or e-mail.

Thanks!

art11758
08-23-2007, 02:36 PM
First off, I'm dissappointed about the cancellation. I have and will continue support auto racing in anyway I can, which lately has been very limited. I was unaware of Bill Denniston's involvement, which personally I find surprising. I have frozen my nose off in March and wondered where everyone was in May. It is a big complicated picture as I continue to learn more. What I have learned is most folks are complacent. Those that work towards change, at times feel overwhelmed. And change is hard. But worthwhile. So I will still head out on Sunday, just West instead of East. Hope to see some of you there. I wonder if my Faveau Kramer Racing Enterprises jacket still fits.....

SuperShafts
08-23-2007, 04:20 PM
SuperShafts...

The fault is on the owner's of Riverhead Raceway. They have hosted the event each year since 2000. No questions asked, and they enjoyed it. They even showed up themselves quite a few times at the events... It is THEIR LACK OF INTEREST, not the publics. !

There is a great deal of interest in everything, support and interest are 2 entirely different things, you have interest but no support.
You have pictures of every event since 2000? don't you?....
Post those pictures of the stands, while the cars were in the infield or X and running around the track...the seats were empty, they gave you 7 years of interest and now it's their fault...

W. J.
08-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Enough with the arguing. This is not constructive at all. We can and should all meet at Marty's on Sunday, and those of us with a true interest in this sort of thing can maybe come up with some ideas.
As for this thread, it has wandered off topic somewhat, and we will now close it. If you need to communicate with someone about their ideas as posted here, click on their user and send them a PM or email.