PDA

View Full Version : Storms Ravage Mansfield Area; NASCAR Doubleheader Still a Go

Howie
08-22-2007, 04:03 PM
A press release from Mansfied.

Storms Ravage Mansfield Area; NASCAR Doubleheader Still a Go

A strong cell of thunderstorms swept over the Mansfield, Ohio area on Monday, August 21 leaving many areas in the Mansfield and Richland County area under several feet of water. Weather reports had over seven inches of rain on the ground overnight at Mansfield Lahm Airport, just across Ohio State Route 13 from Mansfield Motorsports Park. While the community was rocked by the storm, MMP did not suffer any damage and track officials still plan the NASCAR Busch East Series, Grand National Division and NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour doubleheader slated for Saturday August 25 to be run as scheduled.

“There were many parts of Mansfield under water, and our hearts and prayers go out to anyone in the area that is dealing with flooding,” said Mansfield Motorsports Park operations manager Bill Conn. “We have had our own share of weather disasters here at the track in recent years, and while it doesn’t compare to damage to someone’s home we certainly can understand some of what they might be going through right now. We’ve talked to some of the safety services personnel here in the Mansfield area and right now it’s a little rough in some areas but they expect it to be a very short term situation. All of the areas where the hotels are, such as over in Ontario just a few minutes away, are on high ground and haven’t been flooded. The race teams and race fans coming in from out of town shouldn’t have any problems by the time they get here. We’re working on getting the track area back into shape after all the rain and we should be pretty close to where we were before all this rain by Saturday.”

Gates open for the NASCAR Doubleheader on Saturday morning at 10 A.M. Qualifying is scheduled for 1 P.M., and the green flag for the Modified portion of the double dip is scheduled for 3:30 P.M. The Busch East Series nightcap will go green at 5:30 P.M. Tickets are available online at www.mansfieldmotorsportsonline.com or by calling the Mansfield Motorsports Park ticket office at (419) 525-RACE (7223).

RGeeProductions
08-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Adding to that, here is the full days schedule.
Mansfield Schedule (http://mansfieldmotorsportsonline.com/Speedway.aspx?ID=98)

gomodsgo
08-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Have a great time out in Ohio Howie...... I"ll catch up to you at Mod Mania at Thompson.

Headed to Oswego to Classic weekend. Cynthia talked me into it. Well, dawg started it. LOL

Have fun!!!

gmg

Cuyahoga Cuse
08-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Howie,

I've posted the links below "elsewhere," so I hope that doesn't get me double secret probation over here at TCH.

Here's hoping the weather cooperates this weekend, as I know its a long drive for everyone back east.

I've taken a break from building my ark to come inside and end my full season of lurking to post this update for you.

The Mansfield paper indicates they had 6.24 inches of rain on Monday and Tuesday, which must not count any rain on Sunday, when it also monsooned all day. We've probably had 4-5 inches of rain here in Cleveland. The link to the Mansfield paper below also lists current road closings:

Mansfield News Journal Link (http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070822/NEWS01/708220309)

It appears that the road closings are south of US 30 near the downtown area, whereas the speedway is north of US 30 (the major east / west artery off of I-71), near the airport off of Ohio 545.

Here are links to Mansfield's Directions page as well as a Mapquest link to where most of the road closings are:

Mansfield Speedway Web Site Directions Link (http://mansfieldmotorsportsonline.com/directions.asp)
Mapquest Link to Downtown Mansfield Road Closure Area (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=200+Wayne+St&city=Mansfield&state=OH&zipcode=)

Kristin will be coming along, as will J.T. for his first WMT race! I'm also bringing along five others, so hopefully, we'll bump into you at the autograph session.

Safe travels to you and Mary and we'll see you this weekend!

Howie
08-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks Tim, I called our hotel this morning and they are above water (whew), but route 13 is between us and 545 is closed detouring traffic (Water under that overpass). Hope it subsides and the detours are no longer needed. I also understand that if you are staying north of town things are better (higher land?). Will keep our eyes open for you and the gang. Hoping for a break in the weather.

Teams headed there may want to check with their hotels, just to be sure of conditions.

Howie
08-23-2007, 08:52 PM
We arrived in Mansfield about 7PM today. Beautiful (HOT - 92 degrees and MUGGY - 79%) day. Weather not looking great for Saturday at this point, but fingers are crossed. Haven't seen any flooded areas so far, but we haven't gone looking for them. For those of you headed here via the NY Thurway, it was a great trip from Hartford to Buffalo. From Buffalo to Mansfield we had at least a half dozen long delays in construction. One in NY, a couple in PA and a few more around Cleveland. 660 miles, 12 hours. Hope this may help some of you. Have a good trip, we'll see you Saturday. I think they are saying most of the water has subsided in places.

ThE sHaDoW
08-24-2007, 09:03 AM
That's great news Howie. Thanks for the update, I am leaving shortly.

Howie
08-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Friday weather in Mansfield - Friday PM, still hot and sunny.
Photo 1) Ooopppps! Wrong race track. :lol:
Photo 2) Curt Chase and crew finish readying the car Doug Coby will be driving tomorrow night.
Photo 3) Working on Trevor Bayne's BES car in the motel parking lot.
Photo 4) Victory Lane??

Howie
08-24-2007, 07:57 PM
A few more Friday photos after they let the haulers in and everyone started getting ready for a busy day tomorrow.

Racer1_NC
08-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Here's hoping the weather holds for tomorrow. After driving 8 hours, I'd love to see some racing!

Chris
08-25-2007, 12:57 AM
Photo 3) Working on Trevor Bayne's BES car in the motel parking lot.

AHHH, reminds me of Holland, waking up to the roar of a modified in the morning and screaming I"M LATE FOR THE TRACK!!
Safe trip for all, see you in Martinsville. Home of the pink hot dogs.