PDA

View Full Version : Himes Museum

J.D.
08-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Just got back from the Himes Museum, Enjoyed it very much, unbelievable amount of stuff he has collected.

randomrodder
08-26-2007, 03:54 PM
If you really want to see everything, plan on staying a full afternoon. Bet you won't see everything even then. His collection is absolutely amazing.

rydogg97
08-26-2007, 07:13 PM
A great experience for the kids to see what it used to be!! Thanks Marty!!

Kamikaze.
08-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Yes, I agree. My grandfather did a great job hosting the OTD reunion at his museum on such short notice.

Anyone who came found out what a spectacular place my grandfather's museum is and that history can be enjoyed through stories and pictures and talking to the drivers, just the same whether cars ran or not. You can't count the cars out though, because Marty Himes sure does have a few of those. For those who didn't show, the museum is open 24/7, just call before you come to make sure my grandfather will be there to show you around, because without him explaining to you about what you're looking at, you will really never get the full understanding of what's in front of you, and believe me, you can't see it all in just one visit.

I can't stress enough of how important donations are and you will hear it straight from the horse's mouth. My grandfather does not make a single penny off of any show he's ever done. I hear some of you talking about how he must make a fortune off of the shows he does, but you are 100% WRONG. It costs him money to show up at shows, and only a select few who actually visit his museum before and after shows [as well as about every day like myself] know what kind of work goes into getting the race cars to the track and running condition. The knowledge that my grandfather bestows is irreplaceable and everything, every spec of dirt has a story behind it. And remember, the museum is open and entry is FREE.

Though the museum has been running since 1975, my grandfather is slowly loosing hope because people rarely show up and he can't afford to keep up with the maintenance to keep the museum up and running, especially when anyone barely donates. Money is an important factor, but it's more important to have visitors to the museum. With all the mishaps in Marties life both recent and now, (with the passing of his wife Violet Himes, his childhood friend John Coy, his son in law Scott Johnson, and other family and friends) as well as the fire in 2002 which damaged about 25% of his museum, ruined the most prized things he owns in the museum and was about 300,000 dollars worth of damage, life has been rough. And as my grandfather always says, "it's good seeing anyone anymore".

Once the museum is gone, the history of Long Island racing is gone forever. The roots of all of Long Island racing need to be kept going for future generations to enjoy. Marty doesn't feel that anyone cares about history anymore, which is not true at all. And by visiting his museum and making donations, whether small or large, you can show him the racing history is even more important than it is today.

We appreciate everyone who came today and we know you enjoyed yourselves. For those of you who didn't come, we are looking forward to seeing you October 6th, 2007 at the Changing Times Pub in Farmingdale. For further information contact Marty Himes by phone (631)666-4912 or by his website www.thehimesmuseum.com

Thanks,
Mike Johnson, as well as the Himes & Johnson Family.