PDA

View Full Version : Under Age Kids in The Pits

KnK Racing
08-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Nascar Officials have to start looking at kids ages before they get their Nascar licenses. All season, Officials that I told about the #84 Modified team having a 13 year old kid in the pits, and they keep telling me that they are working on that and then when I talk to Mike and Jim, they we are working on it, and to me, they are not doing anything about it. So I'm asking for some opinions on this kind of a topic. The only reason why is because the 84 Modified has somewhat of a team behind him and my dad has the Pedersen's (BB #1 and #27), but they have to work on their cars at the track too, so then again my dad needs help and I can't help because the 58 Figure 8 team LISTEN'S to the rules.

racerwife
08-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Hey Kenny... NASCAR in Daytona issues licenses. Riverhead only takes the informational papers and forwards them on. If a license is issued, then the questions of "age" should be addressed to the corporate offices of NASCAR. Divisional licenses are paid to NASCAR, not Riverhead. Riverhead only collects a weekly fee for admittance... they don't determine who has a license or not. Respect your parents wishes and start coming in at the legal age of your birthdate. Don't worry about what others do. I understand it may make you mad, but mom and dad are looking out for your safety and best interest. Don't give them a hard time because of it.
We waited along time to be able to bring Michael in "legal". However, if anything ever happened and you got hurt before you are of age... there might not be insurance coverage, since you violated official rules and procedure. It isn't worth the chance. What have you got... a few weeks left of the season... next year you are "legal"!!! See you in the pits during the afternoon at that time.
Karen

KnK Racing
08-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Yes Karen, I know that I should wait till I'm "legal", and next year I will be. But then again, I was told they would call NASCAR and they did nothing about it because they have the paper saying that John Fortin Jr is 16. Meanwhile, he is not, he is 13 years old. Which means his parents just teach their kids to lie, just like his mom & dad did. So to me, since NASCAR did NOTHING, Riverhead Raceway Officials should take charge of this issue and get him out. God forbid he gets hurt. This is something that has been going on all season and I was told to keep my mouth shut, and I'll be able to get in a year earlier than I should be.

racerwife
08-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Kenny... I understand your irritation. If you ever looked at the registration papers you would have seen that you are asked for a date of birth. Not a birth certificate. So, regardless of how old someone is... if the age is put in to comply with age restrictions rules... then that is all Nascar requires at our level of racing. Nascar has no way of knowing how old someone actually looks.. if the paperwork is accurate, and the fees paid... here is your license. Don't put it past the track to have put a phone call in to Nascar. They do have to abide by the answer and decision of Nascars' corporate offices. If you were told they called about it, they did. If you were told it was being looked into, it is. Some things do in fact take time to sort through and take even more time to rectify a problem. Like I said earlier to you... the season has 2 weeks racing left for our division... next year you and Kim will be "16 legal". I'm sure your mom and dad will love to have you with them in the pits.
Next year a lot of things will be different at the track. It will be a better place to race at and hopefully a lot more cars will be returning to race here once again. It does take time though to fix problems that have gotten to be overwhelming in size and quantity. Give the track a chance to fix what it can. I'm sure they have added your concern/complaint to the lists of things to be addressed for next years opening days.

Wheel Racing
08-26-2007, 09:09 PM
I thought those were the un-official rules. Once you are too old looking to get in for kid price, you suddenly age rapidly enough to obtain a NASCAR license and become "useful", so I was told. I went from 12-16 in one year for that reason, but I was only 14. I think every family has at least one instance of that, not that it is right, but it is real. This day and age, with the mayhem in the pits, I would not encourage it at all. I would hate to see a kid get hurt and then not be covered by NASCAR insurance. Looking back 20 years (oh my, is it really 20 years?), it was fun, but maybe not the smartest thing. Good things come to those who wait. You'll be ok Kenny.

Ka$h25
08-27-2007, 12:21 AM
Its a risk they're taking. If the kid gets injured at the track and it comes back that his parents lied about his age, then the insurance contract is voided and they'll get no support from Riverhead Raceway and NASCAR.

We've all been there Kenny, I should say the ones that follow the rules have all been there. Only a few more weeks left, you wouldn't want to sacrifice your future at Riverhead by lying to get in for 3 or 4 weeks. I can't think they would take kindly if someone is to get caught.

Tower Man
08-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Under aged kids in the pits has been going on since the first pit area opened in 1898. It really is up the the parents to police this, not the track. If a parent submits an application to NASCAR and writes the minor child is 16 born on blah, blah, blah...NASCAR will process the application and forward a license.

We have always had under aged kids in the pits. Now if anything were to happen to that child, they would not be covered and the parents will have to assume all responsibility for expenses for treatment.

Calling NASCAR to complain will do nothing. As Jerry Cook once told me, "It's the same people calling all the time with complaints".

Aren't there more important things to worry about about? Don't worry about what the other guy does and gets away with at the track.

2-4-6-8

00 RBDJ
08-27-2007, 09:42 AM
It is not so much about him being worried about other people, his father does not have to much of a crew to help him. They have 2 cars and need more help. All Kenny wants to do is to be able to help his father as he does at the shop day in and day out..As far as the other people lying about the ages, do you really want your kids in the pits with the garbage that has been going on in there every week.

chealy7296
08-27-2007, 09:43 AM
I have been dealing with this situation all season long and to be quite honest, I have had enough. Fortin's kid bought a license and they all lied about his age (for the record, I did NOT sell him the license), I contacted Nascar and they sent the Fortin's a letter stating that if they didn't send in a copy of his birth certificate he wouldn't receive any points, big deal the kid isn't racing. This was taken care of 2 weeks ago on a Sunday (you know exactly what happened Kenny). I DID NOT sign that kid into the pits this week. That is all I have to say on this subject. For the record, next year, if there is ANY doubt we WILL require for ID, so make sure you have your ID or birth certificate with you!!!!

concordcharlie
08-27-2007, 10:38 AM
I have been dealing with this situation all season long and to be quite honest, I have had enough. Fortin's kid bought a license and they all lied about his age (for the record, I did NOT sell him the license), I contacted Nascar and they sent the Fortin's a letter stating that if they didn't send in a copy of his birth certificate he wouldn't receive any points, big deal the kid isn't racing. This was taken care of 2 weeks ago on a Sunday (you know exactly what happened Kenny). I DID NOT sign that kid into the pits this week. That is all I have to say on this subject. For the record, next year, if there is ANY doubt we WILL require for ID, so make sure you have your ID or birth certificate with you!!!!

You tell them.

SuperShafts
08-27-2007, 10:49 AM
IM kinda lost on this...

IS this dispute over a kid lying to drive? ?
OR lying to be with mom and dad in the hauler/trailer? ?

chealy7296
08-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Nobody lied to drive. One person lied to get a license when he is under 16 so he can help his dad work on the car. Yes, they were wrong. And for your information Kenny, I have done everything I said I would do. It is now out of my hands.

This is something that has been going on all season and I was told to keep my mouth shut, and I'll be able to get in a year earlier than I should be.

Who told you that????

SuperShafts
08-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Wow that's a killer rule...

16 to be in the pits to stand around help your mom and dad in the trailer...or just be in the trailer that's parked in the pits...

I never had my kids in the pits at RR but they have been with me at other tracks whether it's roads or strips....
There is a lot more cars at any strip then RR and rolling thru the pits at all times...
I understand the safety issue, and I guess after a few weeks back and cars sliding into parked vehicles in the pits, I see the situation...

Maybe have everyone from the pits take a week off and go to a road or strip and see how the pits are there...

Kamikaze.
08-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Maybe have everyone from the pits take a week off and go to a road or strip and see how the pits are there...

Yea but rules are rules, and it has nothing to do with any other tracks. Were talking about RR, and the safety issue that is being presented. The rules of what age are alowed through the gate are set and should be followed and i agree that the track should crackdown on underage kids being in the pits. Riverheads insurance has rules that say that only XX age and above are allowed in the pits and thats the way it is. If an underage child was involved in any sort of incident in the pits the track would be at fault because the track wasnt following the rules the insurance company set for the policy.

Thats my 2 cents.

LongIslandJam
08-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Since Christine resolved this issue. The thread is closed.

I know Christine has been hard at work trying to do the right thing and she will continue to do so.

People lie all the time, sometimes they get away with it. But eventually it will catch up to them...