PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship/Apology

John Wellman
08-30-2007, 11:22 AM
I wanted to express my feelings regarding sponsorship and what a race team needs to do to maintain that sponsorship.
Last week I was embarrassed by the actions of a team member I sponsor on behalf of Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Long Island.
With that being said, I want to apologize to the #44 modified team and owner, the officials, the spectators, to Barbara & Jim Cromarty, and each and every competitor who competes at Riverhead Raceway that had witnessed this ugly display of un-sportsmanship like behavior in the pits after the race.
Due to the actions of this team member, I have decided to pull the Big Brothers and Big Sisters sponsorship from the #6 modified team. No sponsor wishes to have their name associated with such unprofessional actions. Our organization is about families and children. What happened this past Saturday happened in front of mothers, fathers and little children. We DO NOT ACCEPT nor TOLERATE this type of behavior from any of our race teams.
Again, my most humble apology to all.
John Wellman
Big Brothers & Big Sisters

SuperShafts
08-30-2007, 11:25 AM
You're a good man kid

tstiles
08-30-2007, 01:55 PM
i just want to say, and this is to all the" NON DRIVERS "out their who have never raced on a tight 1/4 mile oval.
Short track racing is " in many opinions" one of the most emotional sports on the planet. at times tempers flair and emotions run very high . for many many yrs fights have been known to happen after "the feature". If You ask any racer if he or she has ever wanted to hand out a few beatings after a race , im sure they will all say "yes" its par for the course. im not saying fighting is right, but i think the only problem here was, is that the spectators were let in the pits too soon, and witnessed something that was not sponser friendly.
I am not here defending anyone .just giving the fans a little history lesson on racing. and i do think that the # 6 would probably still have his sponser today if there was more " calm down time before they open the pit gate. jmo. please no haters. thanx

John Wellman
08-30-2007, 02:15 PM
I would have pulled the sponsorship if no one was in the pits. Under my roof, you are there to race hard and have fun. Not fight, no matter what!

00 RBDJ
08-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Whether or not the pit gate is open to soon or not has no bearing on this. The fact is yes everyone may feel at one time or another to fight someone, but you walk away, we do not and will not tolerate it from our drivers or crew. It is just the way it is and if any of the team can't abide by our rules then they can leave and find another team. I am sorry my kids don't act like that and neither will my team.

Turn2Guru
08-30-2007, 02:38 PM
John, I fully understand where you are coming from with the kind of representation you expect from your teams. I do feel however, that this particular situation was heavily provoked by the #44 team. I agree that the crew member that hit Dan through the window was very wrong in doing so, but the so called fight that everyone keeps refering to was provoked by Dan's crew, not Tommy's, and then Dan came out and attacked Tommy's crew member. It was not really a huge fight, it was more of a crowd gathering. I don't think the actual fight is what scared the spectators, as the rush of the crowd. I was about 5 feet away from this whole ordeal as it transpired. I am sorry to see you leave the #6 team, as you guys have shared a lot of memorable times together at the track, many wins and three championships. Tommy has done a good job representing Big Brothers Big Sisters of Long Island over the years and I am sure all his friends and fans will be sorry to see you leave also. I thank you for all you have done to help this talented driver accomplish what he has to date, it just won't be the same not seeing you on the #6 Modified. Sorry it had to end like this.

tstiles
08-30-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm not here to argue. One thing I will say is, I'm sure the only people who attempt to debate this phenomenon are people who don't race.
John , I understand your displeasure, and as a true racer and a die hard race fan, I appreciate you for your support in the racing community. It's guys like you who keep racing alive. But you have to allow for a little tolerance for the sake of human nature in this sport. You can not take the dictator approach on this sport.

Fat Albert
08-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Last week I was embarrassed by the actions of a team member I sponsor on behalf of Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Long Island.
Due to the actions of this team member, I have decided to pull the Big Brothers and Big Sisters sponsorship from the #6 modified team. No sponsor wishes to have their name associated with such unprofessional actions. Our organization is about families and children. What happened this past Saturday happened in front of mothers, fathers and little children. We DO NOT ACCEPT nor TOLERATE this type of behavior from any of our race teams.
Again, my most humble apology to all.
John Wellman
Big Brothers & Big Sisters

Good for you John! It's good to see someone take a stand and make a statement about the out of control fighting that takes place just about every week. Maybe if more sponsors would do the same, the situation would improve. That being said, there are many other teams who you may want to consider for sponsorship in the future. And we all hope you will remain a part of the racing communtiy, as The Big Brothers and Sisters organization is a highly respectable and proud organization and you are obviously of the same mold.

scottyboy39
08-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Well im a die hard racing fan but not an idiot.Im a true competitor in any sport I play or race in.Tempers run a little high but it seems to me that its a little inmature for grown men who race hard then act like a bunch of monkies screwing a football after.If you get dumped,oh well thats short track racing and if you the racer who is going into the event on a 1/4 mile track you should be smart enough to know that theres a 65% chance somebody is going to get to you.Although you guys might not be in the high end of nascar as some say to me and all the fans who pack riverhead you guys are professional drivers.I was taught race hard,play fair,when all is done shake hands.Guys should wait till they cool off then go and talk about what happend.My feeling is that racing brings out the bad tempers in people and fights in the pits make for cool raing on the track.But in the past month its seems that everybody thinks they are harvick and spencer.Although I think if somebody wrecked my 45k car I would go alittle insane too.

Mike Fields
08-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Obviously, we weren't there for what occurred last week. However, I have been there and observed the integrity and dedication of John Wellman over the course of many years, and everything that you do for this sport. Much of it is behind the scenes, and that is exactly where he wants it.

tstiles, John certainly isn't dictating what anyone does on any particular team. However, he has reserved his right to make a financial decision on where he distributes his funds and places his corporate name.

John, you already know our opinion of you, and our respect for you just keeps growing from there.

Mike and Lori Fields

vsmidge68
08-30-2007, 03:47 PM
I am very sorry that Tommy had to lose a sponsor this way. However, this may be only the beginning if the drivers don't gain a little control of themselves and their crews....and if more sponsors leave where will these teams be then? It's not like sponsors are easy to come by these days and all this negativity is only going to push more away. JMO

Hollywood
08-30-2007, 04:23 PM
When Dan drove for my wife and I, no one on our team other then Dan left our pit area to discuss any "on track" incidents. We had our problems over our 4 years but Dan handled it. Every teams crew members need to stay in their pit area and let the drivers talk about whatever problem there is... This was our rule and I applaud Mr. Wellman for making a statement the best way possible, in the pocketbook.
:applause: :applause:
Harold Wilson
Wilson Motor Sports

nflobster
08-30-2007, 04:45 PM
i must also agree; this is a professional sport (belive it or not) and we have seen many negative actions occur on and off the track this season. how many negatives does it have to take before something is done by the track? it seems like it's getting to the point of anything goes. if a race team is seen in a negative light and the sponser does not approve, they have every right to pull whatever support they are giving.

Tower Man
08-30-2007, 05:06 PM
As the owner of the 29 Blunderbust which is sponsered largly in part by Big Brothers Big Sisters of Long Island, through the genorosity of John Wellman, I applaud his decision to pull the sponsership due to un-sportsmanlike conduct.

The first time John sat down with my driver and myself, he was point blank as to his expectations. He didn't ask for wins, or top 5's. He asked for us to represent BBBS of Long Island in a positive manner and to be there when needed. I feel bad for the 6 team, but I am sure they were given the same speech we were given prior to the finalization of the deal.

I have been lucky with sponsership, when I raced in the 70's, 80's and 90's, when my son and daughter raced in EKRA and now. I was at one time, as one semi-retired BB driver put it, a mediocore driver at best. Yet I had full sponsership. Why? Because I did what was expected of me by my sponsers and each and every sponser we ever had saw a return on the sponsership dollar.

Maybe if more sponsers did this, the racing would improve.

Mortgage Guy
08-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Hollywood I could not agree more. What happens on the race track has nothing to do with the pit crews. Yes they work hard week in and week out but they were not driving the car so they should stay out of it. As a matter of fact I would say 7 times out of 10 the fights start between crew members not drivers, which is crazy. Our driver would go on his own to talk to a driver or I might go with him to make sure that it stayed between the drivers and that always seemed to work out. Maybe if other drivers see this they will calm down a little.

randomrodder
08-30-2007, 05:35 PM
I congratulate you Mr. Wellman on taking a stand. May many others follow in your footsteps.

Show me the money and I'll show you the Pros.

Turn2Guru
08-30-2007, 06:23 PM
I think this is a discrace how everyone on this board has turned against Tommy Rogers Jr, because of the actions of a crew member. I also don't see any mention here the fact that it was Danny's son who stopped Tommy's crew members by screaming at them as they walked by, then Dan was the one who jumped Mike, Tommy's crew member. Tommy was not even there and he is being thrown under the bus as the bad guy here. You all say drivers should be responsible for their crews, well Tommy is taking the heat for the actions of his crew, and he understands and respects John's decision. It is sad that everyone thinks that being dropped by a sponsor for what transpired this past Saturday is a good thing. Tommy has reprsented BBBS of LI for many years and has always done what was asked of him. I for one feel bad for both John and Tommy, they were friends aside from racing. If I were all of you I would not encourage sponsors to walk everytime a crew member or driver raises his/her voice or noone will be able to afford to race. There was less written about the past three weeks antics which turned into full chase all over the pits brawls. The hen pecking that happened Saturday was more like a school yard spat then anything else. I feel John's decision to walk was based more on the fact that there were fans there than the actual fighting that took place. The fact that a little boy was knocked down is a shame, but it was not due to the part of the people fighting, the ones who knocked the boy down were the people rushing over to get a look. Like I said before, the fight lasted about 45 seconds. I was standing not more than five feet away from this when it all happened and it was my wife who picked the boy up and went into the crowd to get his hat. The little boys father even posted on this board to thank her for caring. It is a shame it had to come to this, I just feel that Tommy is getting trashed here and he was the only one not even there. Why is there no shame on Dan and his crew, and you all say the officiating is one sided. Both drivers were wrong, both teams are guilty, don't just hang one. JMHO.

Golf Guy
08-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Brian I couldn't agree with you more. With all the fighting that has gone on in the pits this year and to just pick Tommy Rogers out as the vilian is wrong. I do not like what has happened this year in the pit area or on the race track at Riverhead. There is plenty of blame to go around as many teams and individuals have acted like little children(I have lost one of my favorite guys in Mighty Mike because he was treated unjustly). But Tommy Rogers is a good person and I will continue my sponsorship of the #6 modified race team.

RovinPromotions
08-30-2007, 09:38 PM
To Mr Wellman i applaud you for your decision.Most people fail to realize the end result from their actions.To all who might disagree with john's actions,you must understand it doesn't matter who hit whom first.It all comes down to the principle of tarnishing a companies value by association.And by basic contract agreement "conduct unbecoming",is grounds for termination.

Good for you:wave:

Vinny [Rovin Promotions]

The Bullfather
08-30-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm sorry for Tommy Rogers, but with everything that has happened in the pits the past fews, someone got fed up and did something. Everyone complains they want actions, we've written on here, how long will sponsors sit and watch all this unfold. I'm sorry Rogers is a well liked man in the pits and has done a lot for his sponsors away from the track. But it was going to happen to someone. Rogers's crew member went after a driver still sitting inside his car. It wasn't the actions of Tommy Rogers, but he does hold the helm of his ship and it all comes back to him in responsiblities. If it's a good word or bad about his crew, it still reflects upon the driver. I back John Wellman, because it shows that a sponsor cares what his team does on and off the track. Everyone wanted something done about the arguing and fights, now something was done, maybe not by track officials but by someone who may even hurt a driver and his team purse even more! Time for crews and drivers to take responblities for their actions!

Tower Man
08-31-2007, 07:56 AM
Sorry Guru, I disagree. First off, nobody is bashing Tommy Rogers. They are stating fact that his crew member went to the 44 pit area not once but twice. I happen to know this crew member and think he is a nice guy. No one knows better than I about emotions and losing it. Our team is under the same rules as are all the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Long Island teams.

As the Mortgage Guy stated, his driver would walk over to the other driver and the crew stayed behind.

At the August 4th BB race, my driver had an issue with another. They spoke in my trailer after I had our entire crew and one sponsor vacate.

Tommy Rogers is an excellant driver and he does so much for racing during the week. But what some are forgetting here, is a deal is a deal. The deal was broken and a sponsorship lost.

hollywoodmic
08-31-2007, 11:22 AM
OK Brian and Jimmy, this post was started by the Sponsor. I went and re-read every post I see no bashing of Tommy. I actually see more people feeling sorry for him because of what happened. I think part of the problem here also is that Mr. Wellman has a relationship with Dan Jivanelli, and when they raced together with Jack Scott, Danny never created a fight nor did his crew, just the way Mr. Wellman wanted it.

A lot of you know when I worked with Frank Vigliarolo Jr. and we raced from 96 to 2000 we had plenty of altercations. Can anyone remember a crew member getting involved?? Frank's attitude was if anyone is going to cost us points, time off or money it's going to be me. He had a rule if they come in our pits someone stand behind me so I don't get hit from behind, if I go into their pits, you all stay here. We were never suspended and won two Championships.

Reverse the roles, a couple of weeks ago there was a post on here about Tommy getting into some cars, did anyone go down to his pit and start a riot?? I'm asking because I don't know. What I'm saying is if someones crew member came down into his pit area, then that driver should have been penalized for that.

Bottom line, this wasn't a NASCAR decesion, this was a John Wellman decesion, and for that we must respect him. Perhaps Tommy's crew will handle themselves in a different manner. I don't think his car is next to Danny's in the pits, so why was he over there. I could almost gaurantee if Tommy went to talk to Danny on his own, this would have never gotten out of hand. That's the kind of guy Tommy is. I think Danny is the same way. So as has been stated in previous posts, let the drivers handle it. So much can be avoided like that.

Turn2Guru
08-31-2007, 01:13 PM
The bashing being refered to was not just on this particular post, it's just that everyone seems to think it was Tommy's crew that ran up and entered Danny's pit and started fighting, when the truth is they were walking by and were screamed and cursed at, and then Danny ran out of his pit and jumped Mike. It have to laugh at how all of a sudden all these other teams and drivers are being portrayed as angels and have never done wrong. Tommy does not allow his team to fight even without John's stipulations. What happens sometimes is beyond the drivers control. When Tommy's crew left his pit there was no intention of going to fight, Danny and his crew instigated. That is my point. John was not there to witness this in person, so he only knows what was told to him or was written on this board. I respect his decision and never said anything bad about his expectations, but if people want to write about what happened, write what happened, don't leave things out. Don't be shocked if Tommy doesn't return next year, I heard him and Mike Mortimer are taking up golf...

Hollywood
08-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Oh well.... what's done is done......Tomorrow is another race, I hope Tommy is there to defend his points and I hope Dan moves up in the points... I believe we have all gotten our points across and we can agree to disagree...Hopefully the crew members in ALL the classes understand to let the drivers handle any "questions" that come up.
Lets Go Racing.... I bet you'll see some good hard racing tomorrow night.

:cheers:

hollywoodmic
08-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Brian I wasn't there so I can't comment on what physically happened. I know Tommy is a stand up guy, but unfortunatley he is responsible for his crew, no matter how it started. Perhaps they should'nt have gone anywhere near Danny's pit area, and avoided the entire thing. I know, easier said then done. I hope Tommy comes back next year as he has been fun to watch this year. You pick your crew, the rule is you as a driver are solely responsible for what they do, it's unfortunate, but it's the rule. The sponsor didn't like what happened in the pits and has voiced his opinion.

Ka$h25
08-31-2007, 04:46 PM
I was walking about 20 feet behind Mike, I believe we were both on our way to the bathrooms. This was about 15 minutes after i saw the first little scuffle in which I saw 3 or 4 guys chasing Mike before he even stepped foot in the 44 pit area. As we were walking Mike stopped with the man he was walking with and they started talking to a woman next to the 44 pit. Thats when someone yelled something along the lines of 'either keep walking or come over here'. I stopped turned around and watched Mike ignore them until the man repeated it. Mike then turned around and said "I'm standing here talking to this lady" Some mumbling went on so I continued heading where i was and when I turned around again I saw the 44 driver bumping his chest into Mike. Mike was obviously not provoking ANYTHING considering his cigar never even left his mouth, until it was SMACKED out of his mouth by the 44 driver. After that Mike grabbed the driver in a grapple and they fell to the ground. At that time there wasn't a single person left in the 44 pit area. I don't blame them, but I laugh at the claim of "no one but the driver leaving the pit area" After it was broken up there was also another man, (not the driver) kindly extending an invitation to the parking lot. As everyone walked away I went to the bathroom and as I walked out Mike was walking in.

Bottom line, he wasn't a Saint but he wasn't the Devil. I've seen far worse.

Also its like hollywoodmic said. Theres no purpose in debating this, the decision was made with the opening post. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision for Mr. Wellman. Although I suppose maybe it was, like Towerman said, Mr Wellman doesn't ask for much. Just have fun and be respectable. With that sponsor your not promoting Big Brothers Big Sisters, your representing them.

catfish
08-31-2007, 05:08 PM
Actually the bottom line is it is John's decision and he quite obviously did not like what he saw and or heard, and ultimately made HIS decision.

unowho243
08-31-2007, 05:12 PM
John, I fully understand where you are coming from with the kind of representation you expect from your teams. I do feel however, that this particular situation was heavily provoked by the #44 team. I agree that the crew member that hit Dan through the window was very wrong in doing so, but the so called fight that everyone keeps refering to was provoked by Dan's crew, not Tommy's, and then Dan came out and attacked Tommy's crew member. It was not really a huge fight, it was more of a crowd gathering. I don't think the acctual fight is what scared the spectators, as the rush of the crowd. I was about 5 feet away from this whole ordeal as it transpired. I am sorry to see you leave the #6 team, as you guys have shared alot of memorible times together at the track, many wins and three championships. Tommy has done a good job representing Big Brothers Big Sisters of Long Island over the years and I am sure all his friends and fans will be sorry to see you leave also. I thank you for all you have done to help this talented driver accomplish what he has to date, it just won't be the same not seeing you on the #6 Modified. Sorry it had to end like this.

I too standing there and i believe it was the 6 team that provoked the actions passing nasty comments as the walked by the pits then stopped to start an argument with 44 crew.... then it went downhill from there
i am not part of nor i favor either team I'm just telling you what i had witnessed. My 6 year old brother was rite there and my Fiance got pushed. My parents were both very upset

Another thing is that i saw the 6 car get into pretty much every car on the track saturday night

randomrodder
08-31-2007, 06:20 PM
May I suggest someone shut this thread down?

Ka$h25
08-31-2007, 06:35 PM
unowho: I would love for you to PM me with what you saw. Everything I said was 100% accurate. I would love for Mike, Dan, or the instigator to deny a single thing I posted. At most I missed maybe 15 seconds of what happened.

As for the 6, he is no rougher then any other fast car out there, in any division.

Rubbin&Racin
08-31-2007, 07:07 PM
I agree, time to close this, 10 people can stand in a line and 10 of them will each see or hear something different. As for John and his decision my hat is off to him, as a driver's wife Sponsors are hard to come by and you need to respect them and represent them to the fullest, be proud of the names on your car it's not just a money deal it's a Sponsorship and you do whatever it takes to make that sponsor happy after all they are advertising on your car so be proud and have RESPECT for each other and be thankful to your sponsor. John there are plenty of other drivers that would be proud to have your logo on their car so don't let this discourage you in any way.

RGeeProductions
08-31-2007, 09:33 PM
I agree with you Jo, therefore this thread is now done.