PDA

View Full Version : BRITTAIN WORKS EXTRA HARD FOR RoC DART NORTH REGION CHAMPIONSHIP

RGeeProductions
09-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Besides having a 125 lap feature on the program Saturday night at the Oswego Speedway, there was a second race too. This race was to see who would be the 2007 Race of Champions Dart Asphalt Modified North Region champion.

Coming into the race Pete Brittain and Erick Rudolph were tied for the championship. Although both drivers time trialed in the top 12 neither were in the top four to receive an additional five bonus points for being one of the quickest time trailers.

In the feature Pete started tenth and Erick started eleventh and as soon as the race started you could see that both drivers were not only racing to the front but also racing for the championship.

Adding a twist to the championship is on the RoC Dart Tour in each region all drivers no matter how many of the events they compete in will always have their worst finish dropped to come up with the final point tabulation.

Erick knew that his worst finish going into the show was a seventh in the first show at Wyoming County. Meanwhile Pete's worst finish was a 13th at Lancaster in July, this twist kept the calculations busy.

Both drivers pitted for fresh tires on lap 41 of the 125 lap feature and when they returned to the track Pete started to make a charge to the front. This was the difference for Brittain as he got several positions ahead of Rudolph forcing the teenage driver to run harder to try and catch him. In the end Brittain finished ninth and Rudolph ended up in tenth.

With the worst finish being dropped and all bonus points added in Brittain won the title by eight markers over Rudolph. Billy Putney was the big point mover on the night as he went from seventh to third after finishing third in the feature. Central Region champion Matt Hirschman ended up tied for fourth with Erick's teammate Bobby Holmes.

“ Yes they made us work for it “ said the smiling Brittain. “ We're the furthest guy away to win the North title as I come from New Jersey to compete. It was worth it and I had a lot of fun running this Series. I would like to dedicate my championship to fellow garden state racer John Blewett. “

With Pete living in Oakhurst, NJ and the car being housed in Candor, NY this championship took plenty of hard work to which Pete spoke about. “ I wouldn't be able to do any of this without Terry Zacharias as he maintains the car brings the car to the track, and he along with his family and crew do a great job. I wouldn't even be racing if it wasn't for Terry and his crew, let alone giving me a great car at each race to use.

For the first time since this combination Brittain used the same exact car at each race instead of running different cars at different tracks. “ That was the key as when you switch cars all the time each car has their own little secret and sometimes you might forget about that secret when you're switching cars all the time “ said Pete.

Final Race of Champions Dart Asphalt Modified Tour North Region Points ( Top 12 )

1. Pete Brittain 202
2. Erick Rudolph 194
3. Billy Putney 176
4. Matt Hirschman 175
4. Bobby Holmes 175
6. Daren Scherer 170
7. Lee Sherwood 165
8. Rick Kluth 152
9. Rusty Smith 140
10. John Markovic 126
11. Phil Slater 125
12. Matt Clemens 100