PDA

View Full Version : Directional question

ThE sHaDoW
09-07-2007, 04:16 PM
I need some help getting from northeast NY state to NHIS. I'll be in Gloversville, NY 12078 Wednesday afternoon. Mapquest says take RT9 for the majority of the way. That road is no wider than a hair on the map. So...any takers of this quest?

racefreq
09-07-2007, 04:42 PM
That Rt 9 route looks like the most direct to me and no tolls.

Howie
09-07-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm fairly sure 9 is the shortest way to go and isn't a "bad" road.

I'll have to say though that we were surprised, coming back from Mansfield, at the number of VT and NH cars that stayed on the thruway passed Albany and came the Mass Pike. It may all depend of which kind of road you'd prefer to drive. (there is no toll for cars on the Mass Pike between NY and Springfield).

P.S. GoModsGo confirms - route 9 to I89 south (in NH near Concord) to I93 north, then exit 15E, you know the rest. She uses some back roads but suggests you stick to route 9. Enjoy the scenery.

ThE sHaDoW
09-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Is RT9 one of those roads where you can let the engine stretch it's legs? Tolls don't matter to me. Speed of trip, and aggravation factor are key, I would rather travel 75mph for 400 miles than 50mph for 300.

Rt9 was listed as the fastest route, just want to make sure I dont blow the cobwebs off Jethro's front porch of the way by. How many lanes is it?

Howie
09-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Haven't done 9 from Albany to I91 so can't say about that part. From I91 to I89 it is a good road. Two lanes with occasional 4 lanes. Two lane parts have appropriate climbing lanes where needed. Occasional stop lights and small towns. Have come home from Loudon that way occasionally it can be aggravating (construction delays generally) or it can be a nice quick ride. I'd say 75 is very risky or impossible. Leaning toward recommending Mass Pike to you.

Just an FYI we generally go I84, Mass Pike, I290, I495, route 4, route 3, I93 rather than I91 to route 9 to I89.

Rbemben1
09-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Shadow - When I was living at my Dad's (just east of Springfield in Wilbraham), I generally took the Ma. Turnpike over to rt.495 North and then rt. 93 -> on to Loudon. It was about as quick as my North Shore to Loudon drive (not as convoluted).
My rationale was that it was the same route, in general, that the drivers of those Nextel haulers use...and they must have a good reason...(That rest area on the Ma. 'Pike going up the hill from rt. 495 is generally their first "rest stop" on the way South to where ever it is they're going to.)

(and you know that they ain't exactly just shambling along :wave: )

Rich

mare
09-08-2007, 01:30 PM
whenever I go to NHIS, i ALWAYS take Rt. 9 E/B. It is an EXCELLENT alternative to going the interstate. A LOT less traffic & it's a lot nicer now that the State of New Hampshire has done MAJOR improvements! Yes, in spots, the speed limit fluctuates from 35 mph to 55 mph. But for the most part, you can travel 45-55 mph & no one will bother you.
A LOT LESS TRAFFIC! You've got to be wary of the signs for Rt. 9 E/B, though. some places it gets a little confusing, but if you are PAYING ATTENTION, you'll get to NHIS a lot quicker than if you sat in MAJOR traffic heading to the track. Once you get to Rt. 106, you'll be only 9 miles from NHIS. I know the area VERY well. send me an e-mail if you want any further info. There is an AWESOME lobster/steak restaurant just south of the track on Rt. 106 called Makris Steak & Lobster house. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! I've NEVER had a bad meal. Of course, Rt. 9 has, what i call, "garbage alley" - everything from soup to nuts & every restaurant chain you could imagine from McGaggies (that's what i call McDonald's) to the top shelf.
Good Luck! I wish I could go!!!!!!