PDA

View Full Version : White Lake on Youtube

RickFigure8
09-24-2007, 12:31 AM
I just put a video of the warmups at White Lake for the 100 lap open competition race from October, 11, 1998 on youtube. I still have the heats/consi, and feature to capture and upload. For the people who never saw this race every car here in these warmups are all there for the same race, lol. White Lake was a little bigger than Riverhead and basically flat. Notice all the grandstands, lol. This day was interesting, to say the least.
http://youtube.com/profile?user=figureeightracer

RickFigure8
09-24-2007, 06:51 PM
First three out of the five heats were just uploaded and should appear on youtube shortly.

unowho243
09-24-2007, 08:06 PM
What divison is that? Mixed? Also the Cromarty cup from 00 look how many cars there were we have to call some of these guys up to come out because that was a great race!

RGeeProductions
09-24-2007, 08:31 PM
What divison is that? Mixed? Also the Cromarty cup from 00 look how many cars there were we have to call some of these guys up to come out because that was a great race!

It was an 'open/race what you bring' kinda race.
It's in Rick's 1st sentence above.....

RickFigure8
09-25-2007, 12:36 AM
Basically if it had a rollcage and belts it could run, lol. There's two more heats and a consi, then the feature coming. We had Tom Kraft 9, Arne Pedersen 34, Roger Maynor 28, Kenny Hyde 58, Rob Nunziata 64, Kevin Metzger 23, Gordon Bernzott 47, Ron or Tom Pickerell 4, and Joey Biondolillo 66 all there from Riverhead. Sad to think the track is gone now. A real back woods operation, lol. Some of the regulars there used to pull the battery and leave their cars in the woods there behind the pits till the following weekend, lol.

RickFigure8
09-25-2007, 01:35 AM
Actually just checking online it looks like the track is still there. I gather the last person who was going to run it got screwed, but there are rumors it could reopen in 08. This was as of 8/28.

Ka$h25
09-26-2007, 06:13 PM
I don't know whats weirder, that it was 9 years ago, or that I was only 11 when we went.

Anyone notice in Heat 3, the 23 sends a bit of a bonzai move to take the lead. Ruled as rough riding and they throw the yellow, put the 23 to the rear, and the leader gets his spot back. Wouldn't it be nice.

Tower Man
09-26-2007, 07:23 PM
I remember that weekend well. The hotel, the State Troopers, Kenny Hyde going to his truck at 3 AM in his skivies and a hat...ah yes.

And it was $2000 to win. I think it was $100 for 2nd. 3rd paid $75, 4th $60, 5th was $50 and I don't remember the rest. And the payoff was in singles....

KnK Racing
09-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Actually just checking online it looks like the track is still there. I gather the last person who was going to run it got screwed, but there are rumors it could reopen in 08. This was as of 8/28.

that would be cool i know that my dad (Kenny Hyde) loves the open competition race at White Lake.

RickFigure8
09-29-2007, 04:38 AM
Joe it was a crazy weekend all around. My goddaughter was getting christened that day and I kinda talked my way out of being there. I drove up to White lake saturday morning in the middle of a noreaster, no real clue where I was going other than White Lake on the map. Right there on 17 I went in a store to ask where the track was and found out it had already been rained out till sunday. I raced back home and got to Father Dans church just in time, which only had half power so it was pretty dark. Then I drove back up sunday. Oh and Joe you forgot to mention the k9 dogs, lol.
Funny thing about White lake, it always had crazy things. Look at the one year The George Brown group took down the power lines for the whole track with the rented camper they had. Same one they hit the deer with, lol.