PDA

View Full Version : Young Guns Derailed At Oswego – Rudolph Headed To Lancaster

RGeeProductions
09-28-2007, 09:54 PM
The DeLange Racing Young Guns headed to Oswego Speedway last weekend for the 57th Annual Sunoco Race of Champions Weekend. Although they were very competitive, circumstances beyond their control ended up turning a promising performance into disappointment.

Erick Rudolph of Ransomville began the weekend on Friday night in the SST Modified 100-lap feature. He lined up 21st on the starting grid in the #12 Original Pizza Logs/PrimeTyme Motorsports/Brigham Concrete SST and steadily worked his way forward. H was up to fourth at the three-quarter mark and closing in on the leaders when the second and third place cars tangled in front of him and he was caught up in the melee. He restarted the race at the rear and was able to advance to tenth place at the checkered flag.

“We were definitely the fastest car out there,” recalled the teenager. “We started way back and we were coming up through the field nicely. You rarely have two grooves here like we did tonight and the outside was working well for me. I knew there were a lot of good cars behind me and it would be a race to the front and I had to get there before they did. I came up to fourth and the second and third place cars got together. They slid up high and both went into the wall and took me with them. The car was just never the same after that. We managed to get a top-ten out of it, but I’m definitely disappointed because I thought we could win.”

On Saturday Bobby Holmes of Lockport joined his teammate in the Modified 200. Holmes started from 17th in the #22 Original Pizza Logs Modified and overcame radio difficulties to work his way toward the front. He was headed to a respectable finish when the two cars ahead of him tangled in turn four. Holmes had no avenue of escape and was involved in the accident, ending his race with a disheartening 19th place finish.

“The race was going pretty well for us until we crashed,” explained an obviously disappointed Holmes. “This seems like every other race this year where something happens in front of us and takes us out. I didn’t see it until it was too late and there was no place to go. I was saving my tires and they lasted really well. I think I could stayed out longer before pitting but I’m glad I came in when I did. But once again something happened that wasn’t our fault and it ended our race. J\It was just another bad day.”

Rudolph started fourth in the #45 Original Pizza Logs Modified and made his pit stop early in the race. He was back up to fifth behind four cars that had not pitted and was showing patience, knowing when the leaders pitted he would inherit the lead. But a car behind him wasn’t as patient and tried to take his position. There was contact in turn two and both cars slid up into the wall, ending the night for Rudolph.

“We had a good plan to pit early and I was just waiting,” said Rudolph. “We were first out of the pits. I charged back to the front and was just biding my time. All the cars in front of me still had to pit so I was just saving tires for later. Eric Beers pulled up on the outside of me and his left front and my right front got tangled up. It was two cars trying for one spot at the same time. It was a big disappointment because I definitely had a shot at winning the race. It would have been fun to see how it turned out. But it just ended up being a learning experience.”

This coming weekend Rudolph will carry the banner alone for the DeLange team, competing in both the 75-lap SST Sportsman feature on Saturday and the Race of Champions Modified Tour 100 on Sunday. The damage to the #22 Original Pizza Logs Modified is too severe to be repaired in time so Holmes will watch from the sidelines.

Bruce Boucher/DeLange Racing