PDA

View Full Version : Wow. 25 years Ago. My 1st off L.I. race.

Teds Race Tours
10-01-2007, 07:54 PM
From Phil Smiths Looking Back

"Twenty-five years ago in 1982, the Race of Champions at Pocono was the big show for the Modifieds. Twenty three thousand fans and over 100 Modifieds were on hand for what was then, the most prestigious race to win. Greg Sacks and the Ernie Wilsburg No.5 had all but dominated just about every major event run during the season. The Race of Champions wasn’t any different. Starting fifth in the 45 car field, Sacks took the lead from Jim Spencer on lap 13 and held the point thru lap 100 when he pitted for fuel and tires. Restarting in the rear, the Long Island hot shoe made a determined march to the front and re-took the lead from Spencer on lap 160. From there on it was a Sunday drive to the finish at 250 laps. Spencer blew his engine after being passed by Richie Evans on lap 221. Evans was no match for the highflying Sacks and had to settle for second. Ray Miller finished third with Greme Bolia, fourth. George Summers rounded out the top five, one lap down. Brian Horn won the National Parts Peddler Street Stock championship. Jan Leaty finished second, Mike Scroger was third and Mike Lovetere was fourth. Also in the field was Rick Fuller who got in thru the consolation. Fuller came from 27th to the lead in six laps. Maynard Troyer was presented the Fred DeSarro award during pre-race activities. Shortly after accepting the award, Troyer announced that he was retiring from driving after the conclusion of the event."

I can't believe this was 25 years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday. My 1st race off Long Island, and I was a BIG Greg Sacks fan. My Mom got Super Sacks shirts made up for the day, which I wore for about 15 years til there was nothing left of it. We took the Old Charlie Jarzombek Fan Club bus to the Race. It was $38 for the bus including the ticket. Greg passed Richie Evans 3 times that day, and took down the big win. Man the sound of 50 plus mods on that track still resonates thru my ears. I miss that race. I need to hit the lottery.

Tooner
10-04-2007, 08:06 PM
http://www.mcgrafixlettering.com/mcracingphotos/pocono_roc_82/5gregsacks4_poc82.jpg

Greg Sack's Wilsberg #5 - 1982 ROC at Pocono

RGeeProductions
10-04-2007, 08:07 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Thanks Mike!!!!

Teds Race Tours
10-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Great Pic Mike. That was one of the greatest days of my life.

Rabbit504
10-05-2007, 12:52 PM
That was one heck of a racecar.
:cheers:

hutter
10-05-2007, 04:15 PM
where are the pit boxs

Tooner
10-05-2007, 06:01 PM
http://www.mcgrafixlettering.com/mcracingphotos/pocono_roc_82/1982raceofchampionsstart_poc82.jpg

Start of 1982 ROC at Pocono.

W. J.
10-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Where are the pit boxes?
LOL. In 1982, the pit boxes were hand carried by one person!