PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen

figure849
10-10-2007, 07:31 AM
When using nitrogen in tires, can you mount your tires, remove the valve stem, then put in the nitrogen? Or MUST you evacuate the all of the air first?
Also, tire temps, pressure, and sizes are so important in tuning a race car, why is it that race crews are not getting this info in victory lane after a feature has been won? Or is it being recorded later at the scales, and taken into consideration the laps in time?

jimmy'z
10-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Without a release valve on the rim itself, I doubt you could get 100% nitrogen in a tire..but overall the effects of 90% nitrogen in a tire could be worth it.

How to measure it? Not really sure-weight is about the same, and normal air we breathe is roughly 80% nitrogen anyhow - overall whatever they would look to see what advantage a nitrogen tire at 90-95% pure (or thereabouts) as compared to an 80% +/- nitrogen tire ( breathing air ) ...

I think the most effect nitrogen has in a tire is just heat resistance (airplane tires use nitrogen-also F1 which you already know) and in relation to PSI fluctuations (nitorgen seeps out slower) and non-corrosion (moot point).

It would be interesting to see what kind of sampling an offiical could use though. I think it's a lot of 'hot air' :D Actually with a normal oval track tire (not big league cars) lasting maybe, umm, 3 weeks and constant changing of pressures to suit the needs of the car that night.

richardpetey
10-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Once the tire is solidly seated on the rim you can use a hand pump or an electric vacuum pump, leaving the valve in the rim, and that will get 99% of the humidity out(bad air).................:cool:
After you inflate the tire with Nitrogen, you'll have to readjust your operating tire pressures higher because you've eliminated the Hydrogen and Oxygen which create moisture and when heated expand at a greater rate than pure Nitrogen.............................:applause:
UNCLE PETEY.......................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: