PDA

View Full Version : Let's do it better in 2008

Jaws
10-14-2007, 12:50 PM
I found an old program from Islip. It was from the season the Cromarty's took over.

They should read that article as it talks about how the place had some down years but under their ownership the track was "back".

At Riverhead , after years of opening the gates and having the crowds and cars fill the place are over. They did a little better front gate wise this year , but I believe it was sheer luck. Plus car counts are way down except he tracks and Blunderbusts.

If they are serious about keeping the place open and making it a place to be they need to make some changes and get some cars and people back.

This is a tough sport/business to make money in this day and age but if everyone keeps doing this the way we woill not have a track to go to.

Here are my thoughts.

For the racers.
#1 Tires. The situation was an expensive mess! Ordering tires ahead of time to race? I have never heard of such thing!

#2 Tires: Riverhead sells the most expensive ties for a short track anywhere. The cost needs to come down starting with race 1 in 2008. Less funded teams will never come back if they can not afford to race.

If the track wants cars to come back (There are at least a dozen cars for every class just sitting, the longer they sit the less likely they will ever come back) they need to cut costs to race.

#3 Officials: The perception whether real or not needs to go away. How to do that I don't know. State clearly the rules and stick to them is the best way.
It is a very tough job to do what those guys do and I would not want their job for all the money in the world.

#4 Fights: There are too many by crew members, drivers and others fighting on the track and in the pits. If members of your team want to fight join the WWE!! More security and penalties for fighting. $$ fines, suspension's or starting cars in the back as a penalty. Crew members that fight will be suspended or banned from the pits. It has to stop.

You want to prove you are better do it by winning races or finishing in front of the guy you are mad at. Thats how Charlie J. Richie Evans and others did it. Did guys fight in those days, for sure but they fought one on one , driver to driver, man to man, not entire crews, plus when it was over it was over and it didn't go on week after week.

#5 How about a shorter show for the teams too. They start warm ups early in the afternoon and race til 11:00PM some nights (although with the shorter car counts that is not as big a deal because early in the season they were done by 9:00 some nights) Less warm ups (2 or 3 per class per night no more) and more show.

If a class has less than 18 cars never run heats add 10 laps to the featues, a heat crash on a night were there ae 17 cars can ruin your night.

For the fans

#1 Cost: Its too exspensive to go week after week if you have a famiily. Discount coupons, season passes with reduced costs, pack the track nights at $8.00 or $10.00 to get in. Cheaper food and drink, plus better food too. Riverhead has some of the worst track food anywhere(Soory I have tested food at almost 100 tracks and its true)

#2 Shorter nights that move along quickly. I have kids and they are asleep before the show is over almost any time I went.

#3 Entertainment for the kids; A playground somewhere behind 1 and 2 where the kids can play and parents can watch the races. All they have now is a dirt pit. Pave it and add some a place the kids can climb and play.

#4 A real picnic area where you can sit, eat and watch the races, those beat up picnic tables in 2 are not enough and not close enough to any food or drink stand.

#5 Sprucing up the place: I come home cleaner from a dirt track then I do from Riverhead. Repave the walk ways, better concesssions and bathrooms, better lights. New fans will never come back only hard core fans when they visit the track and come home covered in dirt.

#6: More and better security: speaks for itself.

# 7 Bring back the legends: THey have lots of cars and always put on a good show, plus Riverhead is perfect size for the cars.

Forget about having a new track built in Calverton for now.. Even if they do go ahead with that I not noticed any mention of weelky stock car racing, have you?

Plus what year would that ever be done?

maestri fan 1
10-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Speaking of the upcoming 2008 season, what is the deal with the legend cars? Are they going to have a spot on the schedule?

jimmy'z
10-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Plus what year would that ever be done?

The Year Hell Freezes over.

BTW, I also agree with near everything you said to make that track an option to visit on a Saturday night. I seriously doubt the current owners would consider any of it though. Greed has them in it's grip.

Sadly, I hope no one shows up at the track opening night and weeks afterwards in 2008....maybe that's the only way the current staff there will see how craptacular they are doing. The best vote is with your Dollars ladies and gentlemen.

(half crazed post :D )

Jaws
10-14-2007, 10:20 PM

BTW I also agree with near everything you said to make that track an option to visit on a Saturday night. I seriously doubt the current owners would consider any of it though. Greed has them in it's grip.

Sadly I hope no one shows up at the track opening night and weeks afterwards in 2008....maybe that's the only way the current staff there will see how craptacular they are doing. The best vote is with your Dollars ladies and gentlemen.

That's the crazy part, if we vote with our dollars, they could have better dollars waiting for the property, it's worth millions.

They are in a win-win, make money on the races, which will be a lot of work, or at some point take the easy money and sell. (Which I hope never happens).

Many track owners that were more succesful than Riverhead have done just that.

unowho243
10-15-2007, 12:57 AM
I happen to like the Long shows with many divisions and a lot of other people will tell you that too!

The place does need a lil TLC but its a great track!

Paint the walls red and white like they used to be and bring back the legends!:applause:

Golf Guy
10-15-2007, 11:09 AM

BTW, I also agree with near everything you said to make that track an option to visit on a Saturday night. I seriously doubt the current owners would consider any of it though. Greed has them in it's grip.

Sadly, I hope no one shows up at the track opening night and weeks afterwards in 2008....maybe that's the only way the current staff there will see how craptacular they are doing. The best vote is with your Dollars ladies and gentlemen.

Haven't we been through this already? How about staying positive and let's find ways to improve the racing, it's easy to sit back and be a crying complainer- improvement starts from within. We stop the fighting and bickering and from there perhaps things can improve. Joe Larsen and Roger Oxee have suggested meeting with drivers and owners in their respective divisions to talk about improvements which I think is great.

hollywoodmic
10-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Jaws you should buy your own racetrack. I agree with a lot of the things you say, but some are extreme. A PLAYGROUND are you nuts, the first kid that falls while a parent leaves them un-attended while said parent is watching a race and not your kid..........could you imagine the ramafications. The family would sue the racetrack immediately. Any clue what the insurace and taxes are for that place, they have to pay them all year, and make up for 52 weeks of payments in just 20-25 shows. Again this is the business they've chosen.

I just think before you look to make this cheaper and that cheaper, and give this away and that away, perhaps you should find out what it all costs. I agree they can do something with season passes, family plans and as for the food, I've said for years bring in McDonalds, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut or Dominos let them take over the consession stands and have them rent the space and hire the people. All of these companies are involved in NASCAR and you may be able to get it done. You do have some great points, and I respect your opinion, especially with the fighting, but I also remember quite a few riots back in the old days, it's part of the business of racing. Unless you have cops at the facility and threaten to arrest people, it will never stop. I think there is plenty of room for improvement, let's give them a chance to try and get it done.

Jaws
10-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Jaws you should buy your own racetrack. I agree with a lot of the things you say, but some are extreme. A PLAYGROUND are you nuts, the first kid that falls while a parent leaves them un-attended while said parent is watching a race and not your kid..........could you imagine the ramafications. The family would sue the racetrack immediately.

Dear Hollywood, I would love to buy a racetrack, Riverhead would be at the top of my list if I could afford it, but I don't think they would sell it at the price I would offer. PC Richards and Lowes (Disclaimer:Places like that used as an example, not actual companies offering to buy the property) would probably offer a little more than me.

Secondly, I have been accused of being nuts, but I have also been to many tracks WITH playgrounds and they are great when you have kids with you. I didn't suggest a 10 story rock wall, just some place for the kids to PLAY. If you ever looked over to turn 2, with the kids playinging in the dirt, they are throwing the paving stones that are there now. Some sort of playground would be safer than what is there. Plus, I don't see many of those kids parents paying too much attention now.

As far as cheaper, you need to get fans and cars back to the track, or all this means nothing. A once a year, pack the track night could be done, early in the year on a night that traditionally has an empty house. 2,000 people @ $10.00 (or less) is more than 200 @$20.00, plus feeding 2,000 people generated much more revenue than feeding 200.

And yes, bring in Subway, Pizza Hut, McDonalds for concessions, that would also generate a lot of promotion.

JMO

Thanks

mafap
10-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Spray the track like Mountain= more outside passing & less wrecks... and let 'em soften the tires if the want. Maybe two weeks out of a set (some are doing it already).

RickFigure8
10-15-2007, 08:10 PM
I doubt you will ever see a change in the concessions, considering they are now owned internally. I agree there would be lawsuits with a playground. I also agree on the longer shows. People don't want to pay that much money for a three or four hour show. All the crowds were there when the show ran past curfew almost every week. They started dropping off when the show started earlier and ended earlier. For years and years and years, actually I have said on initial lineups everyone should know who they start behind or next to. There should be no reason to have to line anyone up for the start of a race. You don't know where to go, you start last. You save five minutes lineup time for each race, that's well over an hour. Now you can run all the divisions. Some years ago, the figure8's got the screwing with the shortened season and Sunday shows which most of us hated. I know I did. This year, the trucks got it big time. I could not believe how many weeks off they had. And having the trucks off on the night of most popular driver was just wrong. I think the tire situation will be different as things seem to already be in the works. Yes, the fighting has to be limited. Stopped, probably never, but not where it's a fight or numerous fights every week. Enforcement of rules and driver responsibility. Most fights would never start if the situation on the track was better. You rough ride, you get parked. The officials need to be able to know what is rough riding. Someone in another thread here mentioned there was really no problem with the Late Model starts. Well, there's one car, each week starts up front, each week turns sideways coming off the turns and each week gets run over and helps cause the first caution. And, for years now. One of the biggest problems I noticed in the trucks when I drove that night was the left side visibility. You can't see or hear what is coming up next to you, especially the Fords. Now why can other divisions have a smaill sideview mirror, but the trucks, who really could use one, are not allowed? Many of the crashes in the truck races are from people chopping each other going into the turns. I, too, hope some things change. I hope they sit down and talk with people from each division while it's early enough to make some changes. It really wouldn't be hard to make things much better for everyone.

smiley27414
10-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Maybe they should have the Late Models run every other week, all 50 lap time trail races and have the legends run the off weeks. Since we can't seem to get the Late Model numbers up, maybe they would work. We get to see the Late Models and people who want to see the legends will get to see them.