PDA

View Full Version : Good News!!

surfx
10-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks to all the positive feedback and support the Legend cars will be back on the schedule in 2008. Look for a press release from the track and the upcoming schedule for the exact dates. Thanks again to everyone involved that helped this happen.
Mike

unowho243
10-23-2007, 01:08 AM
Awesome love thoes lil cars! They will bring back some memories!

rydogg97
10-23-2007, 09:14 AM
I think that is a great idea to bring them back!!! The only thing that was wrong with them last time was the time it took to remove cars from the track after wrecks. They had the roof clamp which is good, but no tow truck with a extendable boom. Some tracks use forklifts to move cars, but I really enjoy the Legends and hope for a great '08 season!!!!:cool:

RebelMtrspts29
10-23-2007, 01:18 PM
I hope this all falls into place. I am really interested in this division. If there is anyone who could help me locating a car for sale, or a roller....a chassis anything is a start it would be a great help.
Thank You
Brian Obiedzenski

concordcharlie
10-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Brian, there several for sale in NC. If I can help you find one let me know.

racertoms27
10-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Finding a car available locally won't be easy. www.Racingjunk.com has quite a few and I'm sure more will pop up once the schedule is officially announced. If you're not already aware of it, Yahoo Groups has a discussion board on Legend Cars with mostly good people and information. You also can check www.Legendsnation.com and www.600racing.com for some general information about the division.

fred card
10-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Great news for all us legend drivers. We all owe it to Mike and Jim at the track for making this happen jfc25 racing will be back in full force. :applause:

wayne
10-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Great to see them back! As long as they dont take anymore races away from the other divisions.

W. J.
10-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Great to see them back! As long as they dont take anymore races away from the other divisions.
Good point, but don't be too surprised if they do. There is only so much time per night to run races off, and the legends could (eventually) require 2-3 heats, a consi and a feature. That time has to come from somewhere.

Ka$h25
10-24-2007, 05:04 AM
In all reality late models and chargers dont even need heats most nights, and sometimes modifieds too. If they're that strapped for time why not cut those heats out first.

The Bullfather
10-24-2007, 06:27 AM
Cutting some heats on nights the legends run will also cut down cost for racers. Maybe run time trails for LMs or Chargers thoses nights.

LongIslandJam
10-24-2007, 06:48 AM
You guys are forgetting. The show begins at 6:30 with FEATURES.

Heats are not the issue, just sheer number of divisions. Besides, the way a few divisions are, they could use more nights off.

valin187
10-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Brian,
I saw there were a few for sale on the Wall Speedway website.

racertoms27
10-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Just saw this on the Riverhead Raceway Website in Bobby's "Eye on Riverhead": On a much happier note, let us all welcome back the Legend Race Cars to Riverhead Raceway for 2008! In a late week phone conversation with Barbara and Jim Cromarty, they told me that the popular class would indeed return to the Riverhead slate in 2008 for some shows! How many and when, well, we’ll all find out when the 2008 schedule is released, which should be for next Saturday night’s awards dinner, so we won’t have to wait too long.

Just want to thank Bob for putting this word out in a more official manner.

Tracy87BB
10-24-2007, 02:59 PM
I just received email from Bob Finan containing similar information. So, yes, straight from the track, it has been confirmed that the Legends will be on the schedule in 2008. When the official schedule is released at the banquet (if that indeed happens as it has in the past few years), I guess we'll all get more details. Perhaps you will see seven divisions running in the first few weeks of the season, including the Legend cars!

unowho243
10-24-2007, 08:33 PM
Awesome. I think that instead of making a division take off, why not start the night a little earlier to fit all the divisions in? Pack the pits and stands with as many race cars and racers families every week as possible! Less Magic shows and more divisions.

I've talked to many drivers in different divisions and they all would love to race more than they can, so start the show earlier and add one more division a night!

Dwight Clock
10-24-2007, 08:56 PM
I hope this all falls into place. I am really interested in this division. If there is anyone who could help me locating a car for sale, or a roller....a chassis anything is a start it would be a great help.
Thank You
Brian ObiedzenskiBrian, here's a chance to get one cheap. Good luck! http://www.raceny.com/discus/messages/13/84439.html?1193147558

debbie33
10-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey $20.00 a ticket sounds great! I think its been done before. Oh yeah, I won that raffle.

Jaws
10-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Awesome. I think that instead of making a division take off, why not start the night a little earlier to fit all the divisions in? Pack the pits and stands with as many race cars and racers families every week as possible! Less Magic shows and more divisions.

I've talked to many drivers in different divisions and they all would love to race more than they can, so start the show earlier and add one more division a night!

How about just moving the show along and start at the same time.

If you have kids there the night is already too long some nights.

Oh welcome back to the Legends.
Also try racingjunk.com they have about 70 legends for sale.

btgoss
10-29-2007, 06:37 AM
This is great news. Another division added... well I would like to break some other big news... Riverhead is adding a few more divisions.... The popular VW Bug division will return to Riverhead next year, along with mighty Mini-Modifieds and the Bug Cars..... starting time will be moved forward to 2pm. Hope to see everyone at the track....

Seriously, great idea to bring the Legends cars back, but also, this should be the time to combine the Chargers and Late Models into one class (with rules somewhere in the middle.)

RGeeProductions
10-29-2007, 08:22 AM

We have had another thread awhile back and it was said that starting later got more people in the stands. Remember people talking about work, their kids and family stuff on Saturday's Jim?!?!?!

j-rod
10-29-2007, 11:48 AM
I think a better idea is to combine trucks and chargers. They are a better match than late models and chargers.:rolleyes:

tstiles
10-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Does anybody want to venture a guess on how many Legends are expected to be racing at Riverhead in '08?

W. J.
10-29-2007, 04:54 PM
I've gotta guess with the interst shown to this point, there will be a full field (24 cars?) most every time they run.

I hope that prediction comes true, and doesn't put a hex on things, LOL!

I also agree with J-rod, that is a better match. It just might inspire some to upgrade to Late Model to get out of a 'crowded' Charger division. (No offense meant to the truck guys and gals on this.)

hollywoodmic
10-30-2007, 10:00 AM
J-Rod the two divisions that can't seem to get any cars are the Late Models and Chargers, why should the late models be able to stand on their own if only 8-10 drivers made all the starts?? So instead of them ending a division, reduce the weight on the Charger cars give em a bigger carburator and lets have some fun. The truck motor is no where near what it needs to be to compete with a Charger motor. Hell, you can't tell the difference between most chargers and Late Models. No disrespect to the Chargers or Late Models, you didn't get enough support for your divisions this past year and something needs to change, or both divisions may be in jeopardy. Hey, if the Legends show up with 30-40 cars everytime they race like they used to, it might make more sense to run them more often.

maestri fan 1
10-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey J.A. I think it may be time to start a Legends page here on the forum, after all they are a division again. This is fixing to be a great season at this rate.

Tracy87BB
10-30-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm sure that's on the boss' list of things to do, right JA???

LongIslandJam
10-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Good idea Matt,

Will do after this weekend... Or sooner if I get the time...

SuperShafts
10-31-2007, 05:55 PM
Should take about as much time to make a post

fred card
10-31-2007, 06:29 PM
My guess will be 35 cars to start. Anyone with questions on buying a car maybe I can help you finding a car. jfc25racing@verizon.net

intense1
10-31-2007, 06:38 PM
Here's one...give Zane a call.
http://www.raceny.com/discus/messages/166/85594.html?1193870973

fred
10-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Plenty of time for 7 div. Can't see it being a problem. Ask wayne meyer, he knows everything lol see ya fred

LongIslandJam
10-31-2007, 07:33 PM
Hey Fred,

You're right about Wayne, where do you think I get most of my information? LOL

And I wouldn't recommend 7 divisions a night. Every promoter seminar out will preach the best shows are under 3 hours. So if there's a start time of 6, it SHOULD be over by 9.

Since a lot of us are raceaholics, we forget that the casual fan doesn't want to be there all night. Some of us, like myself, don't mind, but the casual fans are potential sponsors and bring money into the sport.

Sincerely,
Fred a.k.a JA

PS: When am I getting an autographed photo of you in American Gangsters? I need some interesting stuff for my office. And no, please no shots from your beauty contest.

Dwight Clock
10-31-2007, 07:51 PM
It's not just the casual fan. It is the casual fan with child(ren). With racing events getting over so late at tracks around the country fewer fans with children are attending. Who wants to take their kids to something that will get them home after 10 p.m.? And the children are the fans of tomorrow. If you think back most of us were brought to our first race by our Dad or maybe an uncle. Not so these days. And with so many other choices to spend their leisure time on these kids are not becoming fans of racing. And the sport will pay a heavy price for that down the road. Promoters will become even more dependant on the back gate and the problem will just get worse. Early start, quick show, and over early - that's how to build up the fan base.

RGeeProductions
10-31-2007, 08:12 PM
Hey Dwight, go back and read this.
Let's try to add an event or two into the future schedule (http://www.racerhub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11993)
Was brought out that most fans with children have Saturday duties preventing them from attending races early. Kids soccer, baseball, etc. or even the parents working.
This whole time thing made for a lengthy thread not too long ago....

wayne
10-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey Fred, about time you got a computer and visited the Jam!! It's only 2007!! lol

Tracy87BB
11-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Fred...on the Jam?!? No way, I'm in utter shock!!! It's about time!!! I know it's off-topic, but I want to congratulate you on stepping into this century!!! (Actually, looking back, I see you made some posts back in July, but you must have gotten too busy with your career in front of the camera and haven't posted in months.) I just hope your return to the message board doesn't mean that we'll be seeing MORE beauty contest pictures...:help:

Jaws
11-01-2007, 10:32 AM
It's not just the casual fan. It is the casual fan with child(ren). With racing events getting over so late at tracks around the country fewer fans with children are attending. Who wants to take their kids to something that will get them home after 10 p.m.? And the children are the fans of tomorrow. If you think back most of us were brought to our first race by our Dad or maybe an uncle. Not so these days. And with so many other choices to spend their leisure time on these kids are not becoming fans of racing. And the sport will pay a heavy price for that down the road. Promoters will become even more dependant on the back gate and the problem will just get worse. Early start, quick show, and over early - that's how to build up the fan base.

I grew up at Islip.

Schedule every week.

Gates open at 6:00 Warmups for 3 divisions 6:00-7:00 Heats 7:30. Features 8:30 curfew 11:00PM.

3 1/2 hours for races. 3-5 divisions a week with whatever was added to the show.

12,000 fans per week.

Granted they had 120 cars in 3 divisions a far cry from today. (and there were no yellows in the 4-5 figure 8 heats)

Dwight Clock
11-01-2007, 08:30 PM
I grew up at Islip.

Schedule every week.

Gates open at 6:00 Warmups for 3 divisions 6:00-7:00 Heats 7:30. Features 8:30 curfew 11:00PM.

3 1/2 hours for races. 3-5 divisions a week with whatever was added to the show.

12,000 fans per week.

Granted they had 120 cars in 3 divisions a far cry from today. (and there were no yellows in the 4-5 figure 8 heats)Jaws, your info is right on except for the 12,000 fans per week. Islip had just under 6000 seats. I know. I counted them. Larry Mendolsohn doubled his attendance for the press releases. Many promoters used to do that.

Captain History
11-02-2007, 12:10 AM
A press release came out after a local track's practice with the attendance figure really jacked up. Another media person who was at the practice wrote in his column and said the majority of the people in attendance were disguised as empty seats! :lol: