PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Schedule

Lad3der
11-04-2007, 02:13 PM
If I read the the schedule right, we have 15 dates, with 2 being a Sat/Sun double header in June.

May 3
May 10
May 17
May 25
June 7
June 14
June 15
June 28
July 19
July 26
August 10
August 30
September 6
September 13
September 20

Tracy87BB
11-04-2007, 02:27 PM
There are no Super Pro Trucks on the schedule for August 2.

bulldozer
11-04-2007, 04:10 PM
15 dates is what I've got.

LEAD LAP
11-04-2007, 07:45 PM
What's with June 14th AND 15th. Is that a mistake ?

LongIslandJam
11-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Good question, we'll check that out.

Tracy87BB
11-04-2007, 09:04 PM
LEAD LAP, I did double-check the schedule that was given out last night (I re-typed it around 4 this morning, so I figured it WAS entirely possible that I made an error), but that is what is printed. They used to do it years ago...as it says on the schedule, though, it is "subject to change." If we receive notification of any changes, we will be sure to post it right here on the Jam to let you all know.

wayne
11-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Awesome job to who ever made the schedule! 15 shows and a double header. All we need now is some heat races and/or time trials. lol

Turbo
11-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Yes, they might as well have heat races with all the trucks!!

LEAD LAP
11-05-2007, 07:28 PM
TWO races within a 24-hour period (IF that's what everyone's referring to as a "double-header") is a little ridiculous. In one weekend, your paying TWICE the pit entry fee, TWICE the gas to get out there, TWICE the tires and fuel, TWICE the setup and prep, TWICE you crew's time, etc., etc. On top of all that, who's going to be able to fix their Saturday Night damage (if any) by Sunday Morning ?????

Doesn't it make more sense just to run more laps either Saturday Night or Sunday day. Oh wait, we've asked for that already.

To me, it (obviously) looks like a simple error in the schedule. However, the schedule was made up, printed, handed out, posted, read, and commented on. I thought someone would have caught on by now.

Hopefully, "THE JAM" can clear things up.

Tracy87BB
11-05-2007, 07:44 PM
LEAD LAP, I do see your point, but I wouldn't be so quick to assume that it is an error. I am still awaiting official word from the track, and will let you know as soon as I have it.

Several years ago, a double-header weekend was not unheard of for the Trucks. I remember some drivers and crews (who traveled an hour or more to get to the track) getting rooms out in Riverhead to save themselves the trip back home.

wayne
11-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Hey Lead Lap, I also see your your point on some aspects, but cmon! You make it seem as if its a hassle to come and race. They make an enduro division for guy's that don't want to spend the time and money! Years ago, guy's were running Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. I'm sure there are a few truck drivers that don't mind. We asked for more races and we got 'em! So why in the world would you complain about 'em !

Zemco117e
11-05-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm looking forward to that weekend... That weekend should separate the men from the boys... I'll take this year's schedule over last year's anyday.. :cool:

unowho243
11-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Looks like it's gonna be a good year boys, get those things ready!

LEAD LAP
11-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Wayne,

I'm all for more races AND more laps. But when our races go green flag-to-flag, they last a WHOLE FIVE MINUTES.

So now we'll drive out. Race for five minutes. Go home. Come back the next morning. (Not even the next night-the next morning). Race for five minutes. Go home. Hey, while we're at it, let's all take off from work on Monday and race another 20 laps! Why not stop there. Let's all pay $130 a room to stay overnight, like another person suggested. I'd much rather pay for a hotel room any day than, say, an extra right front tire.

Separate the men fom the boys??? The only thing this separates is the teams that have a complete spare body, engine, wheels and tires back in their garage, along with a crew standing by to fix the Truck OVERNIGHT, from those that are BARELY able to stay in the game from one week to the next. I guess the "few" teams that don't mind back-to-back days will show up Sunday.

We ALL want more dates and LONGER races. Even the junk-yard cars get longer races than the Trucks. But I don't think this is the best way to achieve that. Like I said, why not just run 40 laps Saturday night OR Sunday Day. Same track time, ea$ier on everybody.

But, what do I know. What they should do is let the Truck Teams vote on this at the winter meeting. If the majority of the teams like the idea, then there you go.

WHOAAAA!!! What did I just say??? Let the teams have some I-N-P-U-T on the issue???

Jeez, I must be out of my mind. :rolleyes:

Golf Guy
11-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Wayne,

I'm all for more races AND more laps. But when our races go green flag-to-flag, they last a WHOLE FIVE MINUTES.

So now we'll drive out. Race for five minutes. Go home. Come back the next morning. (Not even the next night-the next morning). Race for five minutes. Go home. Hey, while we're at it, let's all take off from work on Monday and race another 20 laps ! Why not stop there. Let's all pay $130 a room to stay overnight, like another person suggested. I'd much rather pay for a hotel room any day than, say, an extra right front tire.

Separate the men fom the boys??? The only thing this separates is the teams that have a complete spare body, engine, wheels and tires back in their garage, along with a crew standing by to fix the Truck OVERNIGHT, from those that are BARELY able to stay in the game from one week to the next. I guess the "few" teams that don't mind back-to-back days will show up Sunday.

We ALL want more dates and LONGER races. Even the junk-yard cars get longer races than the Trucks. But I don't think this is the best way to achieve that. Like I said, why not just run 40 laps Saturday night OR Sunday Day. Same track time, ea$ier on everybody.

But, what do I know. What they should do is let the Truck Teams vote on this at the Winter meeting. If the majority of the teams like the idea, then there you go.

WHOAAAA!!! What did I just say??? Let the teams have some I-N-P-U-T on the issue???

Jeez, I must be out of my mind.:rolleyes:

Lead Lap I agree with a lot of your post, except the vote on it part. This is a business, and I know of few businesses that let employees vote on company policy, as this is. The race track must think it is a good idea or they wouldn't have scheduled it this way. And it seems some truck race teams my also like it- it is hard to please everyone, especially when it comes to change. Maybe if Saturday night's race is a good one, and they announce that the trucks are back the next day, some Saturday night folks will then come out on Sunday and increase the Sunday crowd?

Turbo
11-08-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm all for those back to back races, but like Wayne, I live in Riverhead and I guess it's easier to say we like this idea because our garages are 5 minutes from the track, as opposed to some guys who live up the Island.

LEAD LAP
11-08-2007, 04:21 PM
GOLF GUY.

You're wrong on your post about how the track doesn't let the participants in on the decision-making.

Go to the 2008 RIVERHEAD SCHEDULE discussion in the GENERAL SECTION of the Forum. Read NOBANDWAGONHERE'S post:

"Just for the record, the track came to us (Grand Drivers) and asked if we would be willing to run a "Limited" Sat. night Schedule for 2008."

The post goes on, but the key phrase here is that the track came to us.

So, the track HAS, as they SHOULD, come to the drivers/teams for their INPUT on scheduling issues.

bulldozer
11-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Wow, I would like to say no double pointers at all if they asked me. That one night could make or break an awesome season. I would like to say make it extra laps without extra points. I think I heard, I'm not positive, that no other track in the nation has double pointers. But to ask us what we want in the schedule would be a first for the Chargers. I would think it's up to the owners and the promoter. They see what the car counts are, they see who puts on a good show.

LEAD LAP
11-08-2007, 04:33 PM
........ And yes, the track is a business. But NO, we're not the employees.

We are the show's participants. You know, the ones without which the owners wouldn't have a business to run in the first place.

Golf Guy
11-08-2007, 05:05 PM
GOLF GUY.

You're wrong on your post about how the track doesn't let the participants in on the decision-making.

Go to the 2008 RIVERHEAD SCHEDULE discussion in the GENERAL SECTION of the Forum. Read NOBANDWAGONHERE'S post:

"Just for the record, the track came to us (Grand Drivers) and asked if we would be willing to run a "Limited" Sat. night Schedule for 2008."

The post goes on, but the key phrase here is that the track came to us.

So, the track HAS, as they SHOULD, come to the drivers/teams for their INPUT on scheduling issues.

I never said the race track doesn't ask for your opinion, I applaud them for going the extra yard for the drivers where they can. What I said was I know of few businesses asking employees for input on policy. I am not going to argue if drivers are employees or representatives, but they are not the boss.
Again, I think this could be a good thing in long run, but only time will tell.

LEAD LAP
11-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Lets compare apples-to-apples, not apples to oranges.

We're not talking about changing anyone's POLICY. I don't care what time the gates open, how much admission is, what I can bring in the stands, what shoes I have to wear in the pits. These are POLICY'S.

I'm talking about an aberration in the racing SCHEDULE.

Secondly, we don't WORK for the Track or the Owners. Therefore, we're NOT employees. If you want to apply a business term to who we are, then we are more in line with consumers (of the services the track provides), or clientele (the people with which the track is doing business with).

Without the racing teams, the Track doesn't operate. Without the Track, we have no place to race. You know what that means? It's a TWO-WAY STREET. Do the racers deserve to have a say in things like the racing schedule, the rules that we race by, and how they are (and aren't) being enforced? ABSOLUTELY. I said HAVE A SAY, not dictate.

So far, people from only three teams in the Truck Division have kicked in their opinion on the schedule. It would be nice to hear from more. And so far, the majority seem to like the idea of going back-to-back days. That's ALL this post was supposed to generate.

End of Story.

Golf Guy
11-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Obviously you're going to be open minded about this, so you must be right...

fisherman
11-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Well, years ago, one guy raced at Islip, then went back to Riverhead and raced the same night. If I'm not mistaken, he did so all year and even won at both tracks on the same night.

racekitten
11-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Before everybody jumps to conclusions...why don't you wait on the official word that Tracy said she was checking on about the "double header" weekend. You might not even have to get into it. Also, I think there will be a lot more acceptance of people's opinions at the January meeting & some changes. Just wait & see.

wayne
11-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Christie, why would the schedule be printed in the program, and on both websites and not be official? Would't be very professional of the track if that was the case. jmo.

LongIslandJam
11-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Wayne,

Mistakes do happen, and of course, all schedules are tentative. Doh!

wayne
11-15-2007, 08:41 PM
That's true!

racekitten
11-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Obviously the track knows there is a problem because they only have the schedule for practice & the month of May listed. They are looking at the whole picture of the schedule & seeing how many races each division has when they are making the schedule up. You are looking at the truck schedule since that is your division, so something like that would stick out more in your mind. There were a couple of problems with last year's schedule that I brought up to Bob at the January meeting that were an oversight. Sometimes you need someone not so close to a project to look it over.

Tower Man
11-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Years ago some of us ran New Eqypt on Wednesday, Riverhead on Friday night, Islip on Saturday and some of us even ran Islip or West Hampton on Sunday.

We were racers and we did whatever necessary to race. And as the Golf Guy said, it's a business decision. Not only for the track, but race teams as well. Yes, twice the this, and twice the that, as Lead Lap mentioned, but twice the payoff and twice the exposure for our sponsors as well.

wayne
11-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Well put Tower man.

Tracy87BB
11-26-2007, 11:23 AM
In talking with drivers, owners, crews, etc., it seems to me that there are two distinct groups: one is the "die-hard" racer who wants to race every week, maybe even two or three times a week if they can; the other is the person who doesn't mind one weekend or so off each month to spend time with their family or fulfilling other obligations (or just saving one week's worth of money that would otherwise be spent on racing, since many do not have enough sponsorship to cover all of their weekly expenses for the course of the season). Riverhead is the only track we have here on the Island, and the track uses a handicapping system that penalizes those who do not race every week. Therefore, in many divisions, drivers who want to be competitive (even if they're running for wins and not for points) need to be there every week that they are scheduled, or at least as many as possible. No schedule is going to make every driver, owner, crew member or sponsor happy. The track sets their schedule taking into account such factors as car counts, crowd appeal, time allowance for special events, etc. And we have seen schedules adjusted, changed, modified...keep in mind that the schedule is always "subject to change."

wayne
11-26-2007, 04:10 PM
So tracy, do we still have the back to back weekend?

Tracy87BB
11-26-2007, 04:14 PM
As of right now, yes, you do still have a double-header weekend. No adjustment has been made to that in the schedule at this point. If anything changes, you can be assured it will be posted here on the Jam!

outlawfab
11-26-2007, 05:01 PM
just treat it like a makeup double header and respect each other. i bet some of you guys can remember those.... brian:)

wayne
11-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Cant wait!!