PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy About The Awards Dinner ???

LEAD LAP
11-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Bob Finan comments in his article that the Cromarty's were not happy about the number of racers, especially from the Late Models and Modifieds, as he says, that were not at the dinner, and how the owners always promised we would have an awards dinner every year, etc., etc., etc.

O.K. That's a legitimate complaint (although they don't "give" an awards banquet. Everyone pays to go).

However,

The Dinner was SOLD OUT, was it not ????? At least that's the info many people were given. WHERE were all these "MISSING" people supposed to go ?????

I don't get it.

JBonsignore
11-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Why schedule it on the same weekend of the North-South Shootout? There were plenty of people down there... I attended the past two banquets and there is no respect at all... everyone talks throughout the entire time and can barely hear Bob Finan announce each driver... and the food.. :rolleyes:

bulldozer
11-08-2007, 05:02 PM
As Bob Finan said, they have had it the same day for years way before the North-South Shootout. But I hope in the future they do change the date, because I too want to go down to the N/S Shootout. I liked the food. Yeah, people were talking all night, having a good time And Bob F was doing his best. He is Riverhead Raceway. I think its tough to get racers together and be silent for the speeches, but Some or 2 tables left to go downstairs after their championship speech. Class acts? :applause: But we wouldn't expect anything different from that group lol. But I still wish we had the dance floor and the hotel, so we could party more without having to drive home. I agree Wheels.

Wheel Racing
11-08-2007, 05:13 PM
The North South Shootout seems to be the hot ticket right now. I was going to go before I got sick. I used to go to the banquet every year, but the Polish Hall just doesn't get it done. The hotel and dance floor made it a night out for plenty of couples and was even a thank you to many wives. There will always be talking at the tables (even at the hotel), and that is a shame. I know the cost was blamed for moving the banquet, but there were a lot of people willing to pay those prices for a full night of celebration. Bob Finan always does the best with what he is handed, but he needs a little help here too. They need to move the banquet to a new location, new date so they don't conflict with the NSS and somehow get some quiet during the presentations. Just my 2 cents worth

The Bullfather
11-08-2007, 05:29 PM
I say scrap the dinner, I know a lot of people love it. But I think an award ceremony at the Vail-Leavitt Music Hall would be awesome. There so much history in the town of Riverhead. This would be a special place that holds 500 people. Have some entertainment throughout the night and keep it about 2 hours, 3 tops. The stage would be front and center and would gain full attention. I was amazed by what people are missing in their own town. Check it out, the history of the place will blow you away! A surprise to me, the seats were more comfortable than I thought they would be, they lean back like fighter plane style.

http://vail-leavitt.org/

DriveitinDeep
11-08-2007, 06:44 PM
The affair has only been on that date for the last 3 years. Before that is was in the middle of the month.

LongIslandJam
11-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Be thankful that Riverhead still puts on a banquet. A few tracks out there don't have banquets anymore.

I think a change in date may be beneficial for the banquet. North South Shootout has really grown into quite the event over the years. Ultimately it's up to the track.

They can't hold it this weekend (a weekend after the North South Shootout) as the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series banquet is this weekend.

intense1
11-08-2007, 08:59 PM
...And, the Mountain banquet is this weekend, which will see some L.I.ers receiving awards.:applause: :cheers:

fastgal
11-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Drive it in deep is right, it used to be held after the national banquet.

badone07
11-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Looked like most people had a good time despite the location, lack of music or a dance floor. Food was good enough. Bob Finan did a great job. Acceptance speeches were just about all brief. ;) My wife & myself had a good time. Never laughed so much in my life, except when Tom Jensen accidently dumped a MGD into my pants pocket. :lol: Had a blast in the limo. Executive Inn at Woodbury sucked but it was worth the trip from PA.

leah28racing
11-09-2007, 10:13 AM
I wrote to the Cromartys' about having it somewhere with music like we used to. Others that I know of as well wrote an email to them. Even buffet style would be better than the food they serve there, more people would come to the dinner.
Lot of people don't go anymore cause it's boringggggggggg! As they tell me. I think the only reason poeple go is because of Bob Finan. He knows how to make people laugh.

As for the tire money, it was not in there as I hear as well. Which isn't right.

Tower Man
11-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Call it a party, awards dinner or Banquet. It's what you make out of it. The venue doesn't make the gala, the people do.

I know first hand why many teams don't attend. It has nothing to do with the North South Shoot out. But I'll leave that alone.

What I did see was how some people were dressed. Jeans, golf shirts, sneakers. Everyone wants to be treated with respect, yet they came to the Banquet dressed like they were going bowling.

Hat's off to the Enduro award winners. Most wore jackets and ties.

leah28racing
11-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Some people feel that the drivers are not respected enough to have it somewhere nice. So why should they dress up. Not saying I agree. I didn't see you there? Maybe you were, maybe you weren't. People choose to go to other events instead of this because of the lousy food, music and no dance floor.

DriveitinDeep
11-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Change the date, bring back the open bar, music and the quality of the past dinners and I would return. I don't mind paying more for quality.

hollywoodmic
11-09-2007, 10:55 AM
I wasn't there, I was away. With that being said, the reason we don't have it at the Marriot is because most of "us" were animals and the Marriot didn't want us back. Hotel rooms were trashed, the pool area, when closed, had people swimming in it. The complaints from non-racing folks trying to get a good night's sleep was overwhelming, for the front desk and security.

I announced that banquet with Bobby at least 11 times. The only time anyone had any respect was when Jim Cromarty paid security to be there one year, but then people bitc*ed about that. I have come to the realization that no matter what is done, no one will be happy, until the place is gone. No matter what the promoters do, they get bashed. When it's gone, we'll be able to sit back and tell stories of "Good Ole Riverhead Raceway". While telling stories, we'll crucify the owners for selling it, yet we did nothing to keep it. Jeans and golf shirts take a little pride in yourselves and your sponsors. I used to make fun of the banquet photos I would see in the racing newspapers, then I saw the Riverhead pictures, looked like some of our champs were from the mountains.

I stopped going because of all the noise in the building. It's terrible that as drivers and crew members, now not only can we not respect each other on the racetrack, but we can't respect each other during an acceptance speech. Just plain sad.

Steve Halpin

leah28racing
11-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Yes we had some bad things happen at the Marriot. But have it somewhere else. What about the place SAFER has it in??

Brentwood Country Club, dj, buffet style even. That deli ham stuff has got to go!

LongIslandJam
11-09-2007, 12:14 PM
I got some constructive ideas, which will probably put most racers in a tizzy, but I'm going to put it out there, as sometimes giving what drivers want, isn't the best for the sport.

* Dress Code - some of the drivers were poorly dressed (not so much taste, but the type of attire for the type of event). Button-down shirt and tie for the gentlemen and for the ladies, nice dress, or button-down shirt with pants. Why is this a big deal? Because the way you dress sets the tone. Any successful businessman will tell you that.

* Require drivers to attend - what? huh? No way J.A.! Yes. Anyone who wishes to get their trophy and points money needs to be in attendance. Either driver or car owner. A few tracks do this and experience success.

* Food choice - buffet is always a good idea, as everyone has different tastes.

* Open bar - I disagree with you driveitindeep. Open bar is a bad idea, especially from a liability issue, but the opportunity for a cash bar should be available.

Make the event something special by throwing a few requirements in there and it should be a grand ol' time:)

Rubbin&Racin
11-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Tower Man I agree with your first part, it's a party, banquet, it's what you make of it and have fun. You could put a tent up and still have fun it's always what you make of the event. But..........what makes you think there is no RESPECT because of what people wear. Hmmm, it's not the clothes that make a person or party it's the people. So, I say a Jacket & Tie wins RESPECT but Jeans and Sneakers don't. What a :disgusted shame to judge people on their clothes. Again people are judged on what they wear, shame. I wrote an article in September and maybe some need to re read that.

Tower Man
11-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Well said Hollywood.

People need to take a little pride in themselves.

And no I did not go. I am not welcomed at the Banquet and in not so many words been told so. I went last year out of respect for my uncle, TK. When they can announce all people, including the lady who cleans the bath rooms at the track and ignore me, a NASCAR employee and NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Tower Safety Director who has worked numerous Busch races and a handful of Cup races, that tells me they don't want me there.

hollywoodmic
11-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Rubbin I must jump in here. People are being judged by what they wear. If you went to a job interview you wouldn't wear jeans and sneakers. You are representing yourself, what would be so bad about looking presentable? It's one night a year to come out and look your best. What is the harm in that? If I sponsored any of the drivers that looked the way they did, I would not be happy. These drivers are a direct extension of their sponsors and their teams. I know I was at plenty of awards banquets where you guys showed up looking great, why??? If it doesn't matter, then why did you not wear a pair jeans and a golf shirt???

Rubbin&Racin
11-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Hollywood, that's just my opinion, we all have ours. To me a Banquet, party is different compared to a job interview and again, how I dress to a function is who I am and the person next to me may be a casual dresser. No matter what you wear, you represent yourself. I ask the ones wearing casual jeans, sneakers and golf shirts, were they neat and clean attire? From what I can remember, the Polish Hall is an easy going, comfortable atmosphere, and the dinner is served home style. Did you ever stop to think maybe this is how they like to dress, casual, or maybe this is what they can afford and the rest of their clothes money goes into what they love doing the most, and that's Racing. So I ask, does God judge us when we go in his house wearing jeans and no tie and jacket, no, God does not judge us, he is just glad we came to his house to pray and he accepts us. When we die and we are laid out, are you going to tell me there is no respect and God will not accept you because of your clothes. My Andy is not a suit and tie guy, and I know he would be happy laid out casual or in his Racing Suit. I was raised you dress like ladies and gentlemen and the same with school, I had to wear dresses and nice shoes. It was the dress code, but the Polish Hall has no dress code, schools have no dress codes and again I say, we get more respect with a Tie and Jacket. This is 2007 and if some showed up in casual jeans and sneakers and looked presentable, so be it, did you talk with these people in their jeans or did you just socialize with the ones in their Jackets and Ties. To answer you, why I didn't wear a pair of jeans when you saw us at the Banquet, because that is not who I am, but that doesn't say I have no respect for the person sitting next to me that didn't get dressed up, but had on their casual clothes.

LongIslandJam
11-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you as well Jo,

Every driver should have something presentable, especially if they want a sponsor. You can get a decent getup for under $100 max. A suit and assorted dress for under $200. I understand in this day and age, that casual wear is in, but you stand out when you dress above.

The way you dress IS a sign of respect. I would never go to a funeral wearing t-shirt and jeans, even if it were someone real close to me. I would never go to a wedding that way either. I understand that suit and tie may not be necessary, but at least wear something business casual, not something you just woke up out of bed in.

I was debating running a best dressed/worst dressed feature from the banquet as a tongue-in-cheek kind of story. There's a good chance next year we will (And to "Fred" out there, please save the dress for cruises;) ).

leah28racing
11-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Not to jump off topic here but I am for a moment. I just have one thing to say sasshay shantee!! haha!Just kidding. No but really, Steve Halpin come back to announce , you guys were a great team, it hasn't been the same without you.
How come the last few years at the banquet there were hardly any Mod drivers? But yet they make them such a big deal year after year. Anyway I hope they choose a different place next year. Even if it is a hall with buffet food served, as long as there is a dj and a dance floor. That's what people miss the most about the banquets.
Good idea J.A., best dressed contest, I like it!! As competitive people are, if there's a trophy involved for it, everyone will find a pair of dress pants.

Tracy87BB
11-09-2007, 02:33 PM
If Fred is planning to show up in a dress, you're going to definitely have to get someone else to take pictures next year, JA! Sorry, man...I don't think I could handle that!

Rubbin&Racin
11-09-2007, 02:59 PM
:rolleyes: Well we all do have our opinions, and I was not there to judge if people wore clothes that looked like they wore them to bed and went to the Banquet in them. I understand what your all saying, and believe me, I have been a business lady for over 35 yrs, so I do know. I am just saying some do not dress this way and some can't afford the $100 suit combo, or the ladies $200 outfit. What did the tickets cost for dinner, so what are we saying a cost of maybe $500 for the Banquet? What if they had to get a babysitter, so what's this night all add up to and what was the amount of their check they received for the night???
Well;) Love to y'all from Tennessee, we love and miss ya and thanks for the reading material.:wave: :cheers:

Turn2Guru
11-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Respect is a two way street. The banquet used to be a big Gala affair held at the Marriott. There was a DJ, dance floor, plenty of room to move around and socialize. It was almost like going to a wedding and people treated it as such. I remember everyone being dressed to the hilt, some even wore tuxedos, it was a fun time and everyone looked forward to it. We even had drivers that didn't finish in the top ten show up for the party. Yes, a few bad apples ruined that place for us, but to go from that to the Polish Hall is a slap in the face for the teams and their sponsors. Nothing against the Polish Hall, but it can not compare to the Marriott in any way. Yes, I agree all should dress accordingly, out of respect for themselves and sponsors; however, you don't wear a suit to Denny's. I feel the respect shown to the teams and sponsors has been put aside by having what used to be a huge event, now being offered at the Polish Hall. I think everyone used to look at the banquet at the Marriott as a thank you party thrown by the Cromerty's, even though we paid for it. It was something to look forward to, it gave the women a reason to shop for a new dress. I don't believe people are showing up at the Polish Hall Banquet in jeans and sneakers to disrespect anyone. I think they feel that is the attire that the Polish Hall deserves. You want fancy, give them fancy. You don't have a party at the beach and get mad some people wore bathing suits. I think people are making a judgment call about peoples attire to the banquet and forgetting about what the people have been given as a banquet. Let's see who had more fun, people at the Marriott or people at the Polish Hall. They say they moved it to the Polish Hall because it was cheaper for the teams. Who asked the teams if they wanted it cheaper? I would rather pay the extra $$$ to have the dance floor, DJ and room to walk between tables so you can visit with friends. You want a nice venue to host the banquet, The Birchwood right across the street from the Polish Hall. Wayne Meyer just got married there, ask him and his guests what a great party it was. Food is awesome, nice dance floor, plenty of room, hotels nearby if people who travel want to stay over, and not crazy expensive. I bet those drivers who stay home will come back out for more of a party. The banquet now is not a party, it is a trophy presentation with food. Give the teams back what they deserve, they are paying for it, and I'm sure they will all take their suits to the cleaners.

tstiles
11-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Is it fair to say you already have an outfit in stock so to speak. Why would you have to buy something you should already own? I could see if you didn't own a single garment, but 35 yrs in business and no outfits?

LongIslandJam
11-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Well Terry,

Some folks in skilled trades, may not have suits as they have very little use for them during regular business.

But I do agree, everyone should have 1 good suit, but that's more of a personal ideaology.

Fig8 T.K.
11-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Call it a party, awards dinner or Banquet. It's what you make out of it. The venue doesn't make the gala, the people do.

Joe, that statement is the absolute truth. The Safer Dinner Dance is proof to that. It has been held in many different places over the years, yet we always have a great time.

Kathy K

Jaws
11-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Banquets should be formal, thats why they are called banquets!

I like to wear a t-shirt that looks like a tux, that way I look formal but it says I'm here to party!! (LOL)

I hope you all had a good time, thats why you go.

Turbo
11-17-2007, 11:40 PM
Do people have more fun dancing, or creating fun at a place where there are only tables in a dining hall, a pool table and a couple bowling lanes downstairs??

RGeeProductions
11-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Do people have more fun dancing, or creating fun at a place where there are only tables in a dining hall, a pool table and a couple bowling lanes downstairs??

Well, I'd take dancing on tables in a dining hall, a pool table and a couple bowling lanes downstairs!!! LOL

W. J.
11-18-2007, 10:45 AM
I guess it really depends on who is dancing on the tables!!! :lol::lol::lol: