PDA

View Full Version : A Little Football Talk

BoomBoom
11-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Catching up on things and I was reading about the MNF thread. I must that stat for Romo is impressive if it was one season but it's not. The Cowboys are better than I thought and I actually thought Romo would not start the season the way he finished.
The Patriots have a legitimate shot at 16-0, but like the Bears of '85, I feel they will have a loss towards the end of the season that is going to tick them off so bad that I would hate to watch them. Indy did show that the Pats need help on their run D, but still it's hard to out run Brady's arm.
Indy is very good, but I do not see Payton overtaking Brady.
Nobody is chatting about the Jets and I can understand why. Pennington is just hoping that he can find a job next season. It will almost definitely be as a back-up.
THE G-MEN. People can talk all they want about the GIANTS being for real or waiting for the collapse of last year. This week we shall see. I wish the Giants would've played NE later in their schedule. Curious to see how they would match up to them now. Although I still think NE would win, I think the Giants would be a good fight. Eli has his moments, but it's heart wrenching waiting to get to those moments. I believe the G-Men take this weeks matchup against the Cowboys and the NFC East crown. HOW ABOUT THOSE GIANTS. The Giants started the season with 2 losses and everyone had them being at the bottom of the pile, now they have won a few games and the same people are saying I told you they were good. Pick a side of the fence and stay on it. When the bandwagon rolls by, there are always people waiting to hop on.

My last question is where is that fountain that Favre dropped in. I always liked him for his fire and determination. I was disappointed at last year's performance, but I am glad to see him rejuvenated and doing well.

RGeeProductions
11-10-2007, 06:19 PM
I'll take the Cowboys over Giants by 10.

The Bullfather
11-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Gaint are always tough for the d-town, waiting to see how Romo plays in the cold, wonder what the wind will be like at game time. Gaint are not a powerhouse but we'll see how strong their defense is against cowboys front line. Also if Eli can get a couple of long passes in, The boys might have a tough time covering them.

BoomBoom
11-10-2007, 09:32 PM
The problem with Eli is that he will throw perfect 5 yard out routes and toss in a long ball here and there and make you think it's his coming out party but then.................Here comes the INT. It's always when Big Blue needs it the most that he hurts them. 14-2 or 2-14, they are still going to be my team. I even drive with my GIANTS t-shirt on under my firesuit. I think if Eli stays within himself, the NY G-Men will knock Dallas and Romo back to reality.

broz
11-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Good Pick RGee! Nice job on the point spread! The NFC Championship goes through BIG D!
BoomBoom.....THE G-MEN ARE DONE!!! Let's here from ya ACE!!!

GET YER' PULL!

and by the way...

I think this "Romo Guy" is proving himself...what has Eli done for you lately? :applause:

The Bullfather
11-11-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm waiting to hear from Chris Turbush! lol

Some bad plays killed us (Gaints fan) today in the second half. Game would have been intense going into the final seconds! Hand it to D today, good game. Let's go Pats!

RGeeProductions
11-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Covered my 10.
Then again, I may know some things that made me be so accurate.

Ace
11-11-2007, 07:33 PM
RGee great job with the spread!

Broz you're right with the NFC Championship, goes thru BIG D

What more can be said about Romo, another 4 TD game on the road in a tough Stadium to play.

Broz, I drafted Romo and Owens on my fantasy team, how's that for a combo!!!!

BoomBoom
11-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Ok...Cowboy fans won this battle, but the war is not over. Didn't I say if Eli didn't do certain things, the GIANTS would win. Well...Eli did those and the Cowboys won.

Turning Point:

When the G-Men scored to tie the game at 17 (wait yellow flag), Holding...Giants only get 3. This to me seemed like the fat lady had sung. As replays have shown, there was no penalty on the play. How about instant replay for terrible calls.

broz
11-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Hey BoomBoom how about some wine with that cheese? WAAAAAAAA!!

Ka$h25
11-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Turning point: Tuesday when TC tried getting Burress to practice on that sore ankle. He stayed in the game but only as a distraction to keep Shockey single covered. Without Burress being able to get downfield it was a 2-dimensional offense.

Considering what they had, they played great. The run game was pretty strong, although they should have spelled Jacobs a little more often, and Shockey was a force all game. The defense did what was planned, and stopped Jason Witten. However, they brought up a lot of safety help to stop him, and thats what let T.O break open a couple times. Penalties deflated them, and really killed any chance at a strong second half. It was a strong win for Dallas, but just like game 1, it doesn't prove them to by any stronger then the Giants. Hopefully we can bounce back make the playoffs, and take advantage of a weak NFC.

RGeeProductions
11-13-2007, 07:24 PM
What does stronger have to do with it.
Cowboys got 2 wins against the Giants and that's what counts in the books....
Bet the Redskins give the Cowboys more trouble....

broz
11-14-2007, 12:42 AM
WEAK NFC EAST? Are you kidding me?:lol:

What games have you been watching? And what game did you watch Sunday night? Eli isn't even in Romo's zip code dude? As for proving anything.....SCOREBOARD!!!! 'nuff said:applause:

As for mentioning "playoffs" and Giants in the same sentence? You'll hear that in a few weeks when your local newscaster or Mike Lupica reports that " it's another disappointing season for the Giants....they have been mathematically ELIMINATED from playoff contention" :*-(

RGeeProductions
11-18-2007, 06:59 PM
What does stronger have to do with it.
Cowboys got 2 wins against the Giants and that's what counts in the books....
Bet the Redskins give the Cowboys more trouble....

Told ya the Skins would give the Cowboys a harder time..

Fig8 T.K.
11-18-2007, 09:03 PM
First off, I said weak NFC. I'm not sure the NFC East in general is any stronger. When bad teams play bad teams, they look good, and vice versa. For instance, the Bills look pretty bad. I expect them to sweep the rest of the NFC East, and nearly beat the Cowboys.

As for Eli/Romo, the media plays a large role. I'm not talking about pressure or anything like that, but the portrayal of each QB. When Eli plays well, it's ignored and put off as "He'll stumble again". Then when he plays poorly it's- "See, same old Eli". Meanwhile, Romo get the "Bounce-back" reputation. When he plays poorly it's- "He'll bounce back", and when he plays well it's magnified as greatness. Best example came from the Bills game
The unflappable Romo overcame five interceptions and a lost fumble to lead two last-minute drives(http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20071008002)
Had it been the Giants, that quote would read something like, "Giants overcome 6 turnovers by Manning"

The Cowboys have pretty much walked through the NFC, and struggled against the two AFC teams. Say what you will about the "scoreboard". Each game with the Giants were close games and could have gone to either team. At this point, there are probably about 6 or 7 AFC teams that could beat Dallas, and not to pick on Dallas, because the same goes for Green Bay.

-john

The Bullfather
11-18-2007, 09:20 PM
On the Fan they said Dallas beat 1 team with a winning record this year, same with Giants. Dallas win was NYG.

Ace
11-18-2007, 09:45 PM
At this point, there are probably about 6 or 7 AFC teams that could beat Dallas, and not to pick on Dallas, because the same goes for Green Bay.
-john

John only 6 or 7 that's all? ROTFLAMO!!!

Let's not forget they BEAT the Giants twice and the Redskins before todays game were 5-4, a winning record, so they have beaten a winning record team 3 times so far.

RGEE you're the man with picking with the spread!

How you can even compare Eli to Romo? In Romo's 1st year starting this year he has AFTER 10 game 27td's, the MOST Eli has thrown in a SEASON is 24td's.

I was talking to Wayne O'Kula after the game and he asked me to do him a favor and write this on the jam.....

HOW BOUT EM COWBOYS

RGeeProductions
11-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks ACE!!!
Cowboys got the Jets next week.............

The Bullfather
11-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Umm 2 teams, yes but First game no one had a win or a lost till the game was over. Today was the second time they beat a team with a winning record.

RGeeProductions
11-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Media, winning records, if this, if that, easy teams, geeez......
Just keep dem excuses going.
I'm lovin' it.....

The Bullfather
11-19-2007, 06:33 AM
Giants were the same way, they only beat one team with a winning record before the Dallas game! Till yesterday, so Dallas and Giants both have only beat two teams this season with winning records. Dallas does hold two wins over NYG. It stats, if it's a bad schedule or not, but facts are facts. Does it down grade or up grade either team? That's up to personal opinion!

catfish
11-19-2007, 02:48 PM
I am not a Cowboy's fan by any chance and I can tell you that to beat a team twice, it is not a stretch by any means to say the better team won. Stats or no stats, the game is played on the field to a final score. And thats all she wrote!

Ace
11-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Do you think New England is running up the score each week? I've seen 2 games with the play calling showing no mercy.

Which team gets your most disappointed award.
Miami 0-10
Jets, SF, Rams 2-8
Cincy 3-7
Saints, Chicago 4-6
Chargers 5-5

You can make a case for any of these teams. I'm picking the Saints.

Which team gets your biggest surprise award.
Pats 10-0
Dallas, Green Bay 9-1
Cleveland 6-4

I think it's a toss up between GB and Clev.

EnduroFromDE
11-21-2007, 12:44 PM
I know everyone in their right mind would pick the Pats anyday, but the Vegas lines are showing N.E. by 23 points??? Is that a misprint? That sounds like a NCAA spread. I know the Pats can win, but I don't think by that much. I hate the Phil's as much as anyone else by the give them 23? Does anyone know if McNabb is playing or not? Might be a game for A.J. to shine? My pick would be Pats.

pre-pick
New England-49
Philadelphia--33

The Bullfather
11-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Why wouldn't they want to run up the score? Stats are final, do you want your stats to be the best they can be, so you can paid more money or have a record they will stand forever in history! You get paid to for two things in football, offenese and defense. If your defense you get paid to stop the other team from scoring, you sign a contract to make the best of the money your being paid. If your offense, your job is to score or get your team to score points till the final seconds of the game. If your paid to do a job to the best of your abilities, does your boss tell you go take it easy or does he want the best production for his money! I'm tried of hearing teams complain "the other team is running up the score!" Hey, your in the game to win, not let up on the other team. You want to be the best out there and make every opportunity there is possible to gain points. More points means more money, more endorsements, more respect when your going into the net game. No one ever should complain about the other team running up the points. It just shows that their whinning and crying about it. It's not like playing with your kid brother (I don't have one!) and taking it easy on him so you don't hurt his feelings. Pro football is about MEN, so it's time some teams "Man Up!" and stop crying the Pats are running up the score!

Ace
11-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Bullfather noone is crying, JUST STATING FACTS!!!! They are running up the score. The guys on ESPN see the samething I'm seeing. In college yes but never in the history of NFL has ANY team continue to run it up.

EnduroFromDE
11-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Ace, you may be not be exactly right. I looked up in the NFL record book's online and I've seen on Nov. 6th Philadelphia beat Cincinnati 64 to ZERO, of course that was back in 1934. If that's not runing up the score, what is? But on the other hand on Oct 16, 1932 Green Bay beat the Bears 2 to 0. I guess that safety came in handy. Anyway, The Bullfather's right, you play the game to win, there's no "Bracket Racing" in Football. If you don't beleive me, it's all here, written in black and white.
http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/team/scoring

The Bullfather
11-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Facts are facts, but why wouldn't you want to run up the score? Why wouldn't you want the best stats? Why wouldn't you play your best against any team? Why should anyone get off easy and have a team play half hearted? Why take it easy on a team that weaker then yours??? Are they not professionals too? Don't they get paid to play? Everytime a football player takes the field, he goes out to play his best, he knows injuries can happen, best in the end you know in your heart if you played to your abilities. Tom Brady might go down with the most TD's thrown in history! In a season or in a career. Why should he go light on a team, to me that's not playing to best of your abilities. Even in college, I don't understand how any team can complain about a team crying about their opponents running up the score. You have a job to do, either it's offense or defense, you got play your position for 4 qtrs. then the end of the game. It's not tee-ball little leaugue!

If your racing and your about to lap the field, do you slow down, because you might be hurting the feelings of the guy in front of you. If your in the lead, would you not want to lap the whole field if you could? It has happened, but would you take it easy on the rest of the field? I don't any football team should take it easy!

Ace
11-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Racing and Football please don't compare. A lot of people in the SPORTS world see it my way. Why run up the score when no other team has before. Your winning 42-10 and still passing and going for it on 4th down instead of kicking a FG, have you seen another team to this before? Nothing either one us say will change how we feel on the matter. Move on.......

The Bullfather
11-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Same goes for any sport, baseball, hockey, basketball, racing, criket, bowling lol. You get paid to play. Wish I did. :lol: