PDA

View Full Version : Freeport Video

Fat Albert
11-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Look what I found on You-Tube. A brand new old video.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTNqQlJLYRk

A very wise man once said..."There's nothing like an open wheel modified "

Richie25
11-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Awesome video, wish we could find more.

LongIslandJam
11-15-2007, 07:10 AM
Hey, Hey, Hey, that's pretty good. What year was that taken?

Hollywood
11-15-2007, 09:11 AM
JA,
By the looks of the pace car, it is 1975 or so.

W. J.
11-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Great Video!

Fat Albert
11-15-2007, 10:11 AM
No Walt, it's later than that! Hollywoods' right...I think it was 1976!

Dwight Clock
11-15-2007, 12:35 PM
That was opening day of 1974. April 21 to be exact. I remember because it was the first race of the Campi era and the first race on the 1/4 mile track. Also, my kid brother Steve decided to get married that day in Bay Shore and I drove 80 mph on the SSP to get there after the races!:D George Wagner held off a determined Freddy Harbach and an oncoming Charlie J to win that day. Great video!

randomrodder
11-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Fantastic. Also bitter sweet seeing three of Long Island's late great Modified jockeys running so close together again. Fond memories. Thank you for the link.

Gravel
11-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Yup, first race of the Campi era. I have a picture of the green flag of the feature somewhere. Awesome race.

Fat Albert
11-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Wow! That's some memory you've got there, Dwight!
Richie25...something tells me we will find more, soon...stay tuned!

Dwight Clock
11-15-2007, 06:16 PM
To identify a few more of the modifieds in the video...the yellow 7 Crown coupe was Tiger Tom Baldwin, the #16 Pinto was the Billy Auer owned car driven by Ted Wesnofske, and the wide, low, maroon coupe was the Joel McElearney owned #98 driven by Danny McNamara. Also noticed the #19 Corvair of Bobby Park, the 7-11 of either Jr. Ambrose or Joe Krukowski, and the #333 Artie King Pinto driven by Ed Brunnhoelzl.

Wannaberacer
11-15-2007, 06:50 PM
That is awesome, my uncle Tony used to own the Tom Baldwin 7 and before this I've only seen pictures.

concordcharlie
11-15-2007, 06:58 PM
The gold #08 was Jim Tyler.

Jaws
11-15-2007, 07:00 PM
That was some great mix of car styles.

Plus passing on the outside.

Dutch Miller was the starter,trophy girls, Don Campi and Geno Campi in victory lane.

I think Joey Ambrose was in the 71 7-11 Joe Krukowski, the darker smaller 71 was I think Bruno Brackey. Orange 11 Frank Saladino? Blue gremiln Richie Gome?

Fat Albert
11-15-2007, 07:50 PM
That is awesome, my uncle Tony used to own the Tom Baldwin 7 and before this I've only seen pictures.

I remember Tony Goscinski, he was a talented guy and that car was always immaculate!

top row crew
11-15-2007, 07:56 PM
That brought back memories. I was at that race and only 9 years of age. Thanks for sharing that video.

Teds Race Tours
11-15-2007, 09:27 PM
I love you Fat Albert!!!! Great Stuff, but how come the cars aren't banging into each other and spinning each other out?

oldracer
11-15-2007, 09:43 PM
I was there for that race also. Several of Freeport's long time drivers tried to convert their 1/5 mile cars to race with the new modifieds but it just didn't work. Red Raynor, Pete Michaels, Toby Mullin, and Bruno Brackey, put the big tires on and quick change rears, but to no avail. I found it to be a sad day for the old timers that had supported the track for so many years. Despite the "improvements" that the Campi's did to the track, it never panned out. We all know what happened down the road with going up against Islip and dropping NASCAR.

Fat Albert
11-15-2007, 11:34 PM
Uh! Thanks Ted! But you don't have to love me! I mean you can like me if you want, I like you too but well, you know, I don't go that way! LOL!
Anyway to answer your question, it's because they didn't race that way back then! They raced with what Aretha Franklin called R-E-S-P-E-C-T!
But you already knew that didn't you?
You're right, oldracer, the Freeport Modifieds weren't in the same league as the NASCAR Mods from Islip! But I thought it was great when we had three tracks running the big Mods weekly!
By the way, that was Billy Bloore, who spun between turns 3 & 4, in the red #1 Capris.

art11758
11-16-2007, 08:08 AM
To add to that .... Respect,skill,a bit of daring, and knowledge of what was under you. "Store Bought" parts/cars weren't the norm yet, so you had to take care of what you had. Y'know, the good old days. Great find Fat Albert.

Jaws
11-16-2007, 09:56 AM
I lived in Orient at the time so a trip to Feeport was a long trip, but the few times I went I really enjoyed it.

The modified races were great, they really had a lot of room to run 2 wide.

THe bombers/ Street Stocks and Late Models put on a great show too.

Plus who can forget the backwards forwards raves at theend of each show.

Now I live 15 minutes away from where the track used to be and would be there every week if it were still open!

Jaws
11-16-2007, 09:57 AM
I love you Fat Albert!!!! Great Stuff, but how come the cars aren't banging into each other and spinning each other out?

Tbax, with those big sticky Goodyears or Firestones on you , a bump from behind didn't spin just let you know a faster car was behind you!!!

randomrodder
11-16-2007, 02:10 PM
I want more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wave::wave::applause::applause:

Dwight Clock
11-16-2007, 07:20 PM
To better understand how they raced back then you need to pick up a copy of the book "Bugsy", a biography of the great Bugsy Stevens by Bones Bourcier. Read the chapter entitled "Etiquette". It is enlightening to say the least.

W. J.
11-16-2007, 07:28 PM
:-|:-|:-|:-|

distant fan
11-16-2007, 07:36 PM
The 71 pinto was driven by Wayne Anderson and owned by Vinnie Morabito

Fat Albert
11-16-2007, 07:36 PM
To better understand how they raced back then you need to pick up a copy of the book "Bugsy", a biography of the great Bugsy Stevens by Bones Bourcier. Read the chapter entitled "Etiquette". It is enlightening to say the least.

And if you go to a True Value Modified race Seekonk, you may be able to have Bugsy autograph your copy of the book. He has some great stories to tell; it's worth the price of admission just to meet him!

The 71 pinto was driven by Wayne Anderson and owned by Vinnie Morabito

You're so right! That was Wayne!

distant fan
11-16-2007, 07:46 PM
A few more identified, The blue gremlin was the My3sons of Larry Lafontaine, the #66 on the outside pole was Kevin Keilor, and the black and red #50 was Dennis Freese.

Dwight Clock
11-16-2007, 09:24 PM
A few more identified, The blue gremlin was the My3sons of Larry Lafontaine, the #66 on the outside pole was Kevin Keilor , and the black and red #50 was Dennis Freese.All correct except that LaFontaine's first name was Jim.

distant fan
11-16-2007, 09:41 PM
You're right. I guess I was thinking of his son

RickFigure8
11-17-2007, 04:39 AM
Hey you forget to mention Dutch Miller, lol. Great video. What memories.

Jaws
11-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Hey you forget to mention Dutch Miller, lol. Great video. What memories.

Mentioned him about 20 posts ago, lol

He was a great starter, at Islip too. You look at pictures now and it amazing how close to the track he stood.

Fat Albert
11-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Does anybody remember who drove the blue #65 coupe in the video? I'm trying to get all the drivers names to edit them into the video. It's the coupe behind Jarzombek's Vega in the picture at the bottom of this page from Lasheefs....http://www.lasheefs.com/Pages/IslipFreeport/freeport7.html

310fig8
11-20-2007, 01:22 PM
I am not 100% sure but I have reason to believe it was Jay (Junior) Dilmore.

Fat Albert
11-20-2007, 05:51 PM
I am not 100% sure but I have reason to believe it was Jay (Junior) Dilmore.

You may be right, Bill. I was thinking the same thing, but I always connect Jay with the "Triple Nickel" 555! How about the #60 Mustang?

This one on the bottom of the page...http://www.lasheefs.com/Pages/IslipFreeport/freeport4.html

Teds Race Tours
11-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Uh! Thanks Ted! But you don't have to love me! I mean you can like me if you want, I like you too but well, you know, I don't go that way! LOL!

Anyway to answer your question, it's because they didn't race that way back then! They raced with what Aretha Franklin called R-E-S-P-E-C-T!
But you already knew that didn't you?

If you tell me you love me, the 9A will win the next Fantasy Race.

And yes, it was a sarcastic question about running into each other. Its a shame what a considered racing today.

Fat Albert
11-21-2007, 07:58 PM
If you tell me you love me, the 9A will win the next Fantasy Race.

Oh man! That's a tough one! I'm kind of thinking the 9A's not gonna win!

RickFigure8
11-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Sorry Jaws, I missed it. Reading through too fast. Speaking of close, I believe it was Myke Collins at Freeport who started the race from the infield, ran across the track after the last car, and climbed up a ladder, which he pulled up behind him with a rope into the starters stand. I was thinking Jay Dillmore too. The Mustang Mod looks to have a McBetts sticker, but might be before Richies time.

310fig8
11-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Yes Rick, It was indeed Myke Collins that started the races that way. He always had on a real wild Hawaiian shirt of sorts. Duke Donaldson would always start the show with "Welcome to tropical Freeport".

Sorry, no answer from me on the Mustang.

Jaws
11-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Sorry Jaws, I missed it. Reading through too fast. Speaking of close, I believe it was Mike Collins at Freeport who started the race from the infield, ran across the track after the last car, and climbed up a ladder, which he pulled up behind him with a rope into the starters stand. I was thinking Jay Dillmore too. The Mustang Mod looks to have a McBetts sticker, but might be before Richies time.

Hey, I was just kidding, I miss things all the time.

I looked through some old Freeport programs, but could come up with nothing.

I wonder if that was the old Brunnhoelzl Mustang, which was also blue.

Fat Albert
11-23-2007, 10:48 PM
A few more identified, The blue gremlin was the My3sons of Larry Lafontaine, the #66 on the outside pole was Kevin Keilor, and the black and red #50 was Dennis Freese.

All correct except that LaFontaine's first name was Jim.

One correction... the 50 is not Dennis Freese...Dennis was in the #3!
And this is from Dennis himself....sooooo...who's in the 50? And what body was that? Very different! I'm trying to get all the info together to complete editing the video! Who's in the final car in the field? The Corvair bodied #98. I'm guessing that the #93 Coupe is Red Raynor. Can anyone confirm that?...anyone?...anyone?

Gravel
11-24-2007, 02:20 PM
I believe the 50 was Pete Michaels. I'm pretty sure that was his last year racing. The 93 is Red Raynor. The 60 might be Paul Schaffer, although I thought he was into coupes. I remember sitting in the back straight for that race.

Fat Albert
11-24-2007, 07:58 PM
I believe the 50 was Pete Michaels. I'm pretty sure that was his last year racing. The 93 is Red Raynor. The 60 might be Paul Schaffer, although I thought he was into coupes. I remember sitting in the back straight for that race.

THANKS GRAVEL! I think you're right about the 50! Pete Michaels sounds right to me. But I was told, today at Wall, that the 60 Mustang was Jimmy Walker. Thanks to John Matlach for that one and I'm sure he's right. The only one left to ID is the #98 Corvair at the tail end of the field. How does Charlie Brandl sound? Anyone think that sounds right?...ANYONE?...ANYONE?

Fat Albert
12-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks to everyone at "The Jam" and a few of my personal friends, I've managed to identify all the drivers in the video! I edited it and posted it on You Tube. Thanks again, everyone! This was fun. Now I have to get to work on the next video. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTNqQlJLYRk

randomrodder
01-18-2008, 01:03 AM
I'm sorry, I should have made it clearer. I was speaking of Freddie, Charlie and Tom Baldwin in the #7 coupe. They were all running together in the same race. Sorry for any misunderstanding. Three late greats.