PDA

View Full Version : 1965 car magazine article trivia

oldracer
11-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Back in the late fifties and sixties when local short track racing was booming all over the country, rarely did a monthly hot rod or custom car magazine give any coverage or acknowledgement that this form of hot rodding even existed. You might see a camshaft add with a picture of a stock car that some guy won a thousand features using their cams, but that was about it. I found it amazing that a monthly mag did a detailed three page article with photos on a Freeport six cylinder modified in 1965. What car was it?

Dwight Clock
11-18-2007, 04:47 PM
I never read the hot rod mags back then because they didn't cover oval racing. Looks like they slipped one by me!:)

oldracer
11-19-2007, 08:49 AM
Back in December,1965 a Magazine called "High Performance " which covered drag racing, new car statistics, and late model muscle cars primarilly did a nice article with a lot of pictures titled, "Pioneer among Short Track Modifieds" about Joe Orzano's number 88 Ford coupe driven by Jim Lacy. It was written by Robert Monte and went into great detail about Freeport Stadium and the many innovations on the 88 car. I remember the car well. It was a beauty. White with gold leaf lettering. The last time I saw it at Freeport was in 1970. It was painted green, had a 289 Ford in it, driven by Billy Walsh and was pretty bent up. It's a shame none of those cars survived. At least Bruno's 71 is safe and sound at my place.

310fig8
11-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Is this the car you are referring to?

oldracer
11-19-2007, 12:33 PM
No,that's the 33 Plymouth with the slant six in it. He sold that car to build the 32 Ford coupe with a 300 inch Ford truck six in it that was featured in the mag. It sat very low and had a cut down cowl. Pretty radical for the time. I've never seen a picture of it on the net and I've covered every vintage site.

Dwight Clock
11-19-2007, 04:41 PM
At least Bruno's 71 is safe and sound at my place.His sedan? What stories that car could tell. IIRC Bruno raced that car for over 20 years and won a couple of hundred races with it!:applause:

capitalcity300
11-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Got the magazine laying around?:wave::)
Please scan the magazine article, so we can read it!!!:cheers::lol: