PDA

View Full Version : NEMA @ Riverhead

Dwight Clock
11-18-2007, 01:38 PM
I have heard that Riverhead is having discussions with NEMA, the New England based midget group, about having a show at Riverhead in 2008. Can anyone shed some light on this?

LongIslandJam
11-18-2007, 01:58 PM
They came in last season and tested and were doing phenomenal laps. We'll see what happens.

Dwight Clock
11-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks, J.A. I haven't seen a midget show at Riverhead since 1964. Len Duncan was the winner that night. I just wish that NEMA would shed the wings as did ARDC. If this race happens I will plan my summer trip to NY for that week.

W. J.
11-18-2007, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath. I had a discussion with someone at the track, and the midget people wanted a guaranteed purse that the track thinks is too steep to meet, so it's more likely you won't see them there. Strictly a business decision, and from the numbers I heard, a smart one, too.

The Bullfather
11-18-2007, 06:51 PM
I also heard that they were looking for sponsor to help the purse. A few guys said it would help a lot. But what the word about hearsay? I wouldn't mind seeing a race with the NEMA or even invite only style race for one night. I would doubt or find it hard for the track to be able to hold a Whelen Modified Series race, which is on schedule this year again and a NEMA race in the same year. At this point and time.

Fat Albert
11-18-2007, 07:19 PM
I think it would be great to have the Midgets back at Riverhead! They're perfect for the bullring. They really don't race for a big purse. I'll bet they would more than pay for themselves in pit fees and the added fans. There's still a lot of Midget fans on Long Island! If you really like the Nema Midgets, you can see them at Waterford, Seekonk, Monadnock, Stafford or Thompson! Some how those tracks can afford to have them several times a year!

Jaws
11-18-2007, 07:26 PM
How about Nema and the tour on the same night!!!

That would be sweet.

The Bullfather
11-18-2007, 07:36 PM
realistic??? are we Jaws! lol j/k

Ct. and Ma. tracks also have a stronger fan base. RR does have a following, but we also get a lot of families that come out once or twice a year due to prices at the gate. A lot of thoses track have smaller gate price, unless there is a "big" show.

Dwight Clock
11-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Times have changed drastically. Back in the 60's ARDC had quite a following on Long Island. In fact they ran about 25% of their schedule (12 of 47 races) on L.I. in 1963. Once a month at both Islip and Freeport and a pair of shows at Riverhead. The midgets went through a painful transition in the 70's and L.I. tracks stopped booking them. Now that they are a viable option once again, the fan base has disappeared. That was a major reason for my decision to move to Indiana in 2004. I prefer open wheel racing and I can go to a sprint car and/or midget race four nights per week from May through Labor Day. It is a shame, as the midgets were great on all three L.I. bullrings.

Jaws
11-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Times have changed drastically. Back in the 60's ARDC had quite a following on Long Island. In fact they ran about 25% of their schedule (12 of 47 races) on L.I. in 1963. Once a month at both Islip and Freeport and a pair of shows at Riverhead. The midgets went through a painful transition in the 70's and L.I. tracks stopped booking them. Now that they are a viable option once again, the fan base has disappeared. That was a major reason for my decision to move to Indiana in 2004. I prefer open wheel racing and I can go to a sprint car and/or midget race four nights per week from May through Labor Day. It is a shame, as the midgets were great on all three L.I. bullrings.

ARDC decided to go all dirt about??? 10 years ago and concentrate on Pa. and NJ. It helped the club grow back to decent numbers.

I must have seen a dozen or so races at Islip in the 70's. What a great show they put on.

Question, are the cars for dirt and pavement the same? Could ARDC cars race on pavement?

Dwight Clock
11-19-2007, 04:35 PM
ARDC decided to go all dirt about??? 10 years ago and concentrate on Pa. and NJ. It helped the club grow back to decent numbers.

I must have seen a dozen or so races at Islip in the 70's. What a great show they put on.

Question, are the cars for dirt and pavement the same? Could ARDC cars race on pavement?Jaws, the midget car builders have been making separate dirt & pavement chassis for a while now. While you could run one on the other surface, you would not be competitive. What really has stimulated ARDC was their decision to take off the wings beginning in 2006. Traditional (non wing) midget racing is so much better as the driver is more of the equation, same as sprints. Islip was built for midgets, opening in 1947, and I lost count of the number of great midget races I saw there. If you never saw Johnny Coy race a midget at Islip you missed something very special.