PDA

View Full Version : Drivers' Report Cards

Tower Man
11-19-2007, 05:56 AM
I have been pondering this all weekend. What started out as, what appeared to be fun, someone measuring the success of a driver, has become, IMO, stupid.

Like I said, I've been pondering this all weekend. We would first have to look at the source. It's one person with an opinion, which may or may not be the official opinion of the Long Island Jam.

Now let's look at the qualifications. To my knowledge, the "grader" has never raced, never built a car and never owned a car. He's a fan, like most of us. And from Kevin Orlando's perspective, inaccurate on facts.

I say anyone who climbs into a racecar, straps in and competes, starts with a least an A. Yes, I have my opinion of certain drivers, but I keep it to myself.

Jam folks, again JMO, this grade thing can hurt feelings. It's worse than a bashing. It adds no value to the program and could be a detriment for some team trying to get a sponsor.

rabbid1
11-19-2007, 06:09 AM
Well , Isn't it the "Fans" we race for Joe . I don't see any bashing going on here. Okay Pete got a fact wrong. We all make mistakes. Give the man a break, he puts a lot of effort into the Jam to make it fun and entertaining for us drivers and fans alike. I don't believe he gets a penny for all his hard work, so a THANK YOU ! would be nice. Remember the "keep it positive".

rydogg97
11-19-2007, 06:25 AM
I agree with Matt 100%!! I don't think it was a big deal. There was a mistake made and it was fixed, so no need to keep this going!! Pete works very hard, as do all the jam writers. Paid or unpaid, they do an outstanding job!! If they didn't, you and I wouldnt read it everyday!!! So IMO, Joe, leave it be!! And by your own words, "keep it positive"!! What you you posted falls short of that!! JMO!! :disgusted

LongIslandJam
11-19-2007, 06:53 AM
I agree with you Joe - partially.

I do feel the grades should have more explanation behind them.

HOWEVER

We live in a society that we can't say anything bad about anything. Why? It's hurt people's feelings. Well, guess what? People have bad seasons, it's a matter of fact. A real racer can suck that up, work on their car, and kick @$$ next season. However, how bad or how good of a season is always opinion.

But we should have provided a well-rounded picture for the grades, and we plan to do so in our next edition. And lastly, we'll even let you, the fans, vote as well. How's that for making it fair?

randomrodder
11-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Pete is a reporter and interviewer and he just calls them as he sees them according to the stats and his perspective.

Golf Guy
11-19-2007, 06:56 PM
I have been pondering this all weekend. What started out as, what appeared to be fun, someone measuring the success of a driver, has become, IMO, stupid.

Like I said, I've been pondering this all weekend. We would first have to look at the source. It's one person with an opinion, which may or may not be the official opinion of the Long Island Jam.

Now let's look at the qualifications. To my knowledge, the "grader" has never raced, never built a car and never owned a car. He's a fan, like most of us. And from Kevin Orlando's perspective, inaccurate on facts.

I say anyone who climbs into a racecar, straps in and competes, starts with a least an A. Yes, I have my opinion of certain drivers, but I keep it to myself.

Jam folks, again JMO, this grade thing can hurt feelings. It's worse than a bashing. It adds no value to the program and could be a detriment for some team trying to get a sponsor.

Joe I love ya man and value many of your opinions, but I think you are way off here.

First- not every reporter is an ex driver/athlete in the sport they cover.
Second- this must be the opinion of the JAM or they wouldn't have posted it and Pete works for the JAM.
Third- just getting in a car makes you a driver, but an 'A' driver?
Lastly- I sponsor and help find sponsors for car's. If you get an 'A' you use this as a recruiting tool, if you get a bad grade you find a different way.

And I also agree with JA, if you are going to compete in a sport you have to be able to take criticism or you will be at odds with the media all the time.

LongIslandJam
11-19-2007, 07:18 PM
I am going to elaborate more on the second point. What Peter's opinion is, is his own. But, we at the Jam fully support our staff members. They are volunteers who do it for the love of the sport. Just as many of us who race, crew, officiate, and watch. It takes some guts to put your opinion on the line, but its there to generate even more publicity for the drivers. And Jim's right. Any potential sponsor that bases their decision on one grade report is foolish. You must consider the whole package, and if any driver needs the Jam to back them up, we will. I'll be happy to call any potential sponsor for a driver to vouch on their behalf.:)

wayne
11-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Any driver? lol

LongIslandJam
11-19-2007, 09:39 PM
I'll stand by my words. Any driver, whom I am familiar with (which is just about everyone at Riverhead) who races a stock car or go-kart at Riverhead Raceway.

Tower Man
11-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Okay...I see the point. Let the grades continue. And Golf Guy, you shed some light on the issue.

SuperShafts
11-20-2007, 11:09 AM
I didn't see any problem with the grading story...

Personally I think grading is good, without a grade, you might not try and fix something...
I honestly think people need to step back and look, rather than jump in and jump to conclusions.
Did your feelings get hurt in school when you saw your grade? ? ? And if so, what did you do? Cry about it? Throw things around and it's someone else's fault? Or make it change from within yourself?

This example can be seen in a thread in the SD section of someone that can't differentiate between goofing and bs talk and taking things way to seriously. (Even though he would still lose his money)

As for having experience being a driver and having the credentials to judge...
Who's to say who is being judged is any better qualified at being a driver then the person judging just because they're in that position.
Judging isn't about being a driver, it's about the ability to see without a clouded or sided mind.....

When you go before a judge do you say, your honor, you can't judge me, you have not been in this situation, you have no experience in this area...
The jurors have no right to pass judgement on me, they haven't been in this situation..