PDA

View Full Version : Blunderbust Meeting

Tracy87BB
11-19-2007, 11:15 PM
I had the pleasure of attending the Blunderbust meeting tonight and I want to give everyone involved a big thumbs-up. It was nice to see open dialog and positive brainstorming among all in attendance.
Those who were unable to attend the meeting can take part in the next meeting which has been scheduled. It is my own personal belief that continued discussions such as this can be very positive for the division and all involved. The details for the next meeting (which are also posted on the front page) are as follows:
Monday, December 3rd
7:30 pm
90-D Dale St. (off Edison Ave.)
West Babylon

SuperShafts
12-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Did anyone bring up the car rule? And changes to the car use rule?

voodoocadoo
12-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Car rule? What's the car rule?

Tower Man
12-01-2007, 10:55 AM
No Super, they discussed mainly procedural situations and what they are looking for as a group. I am sure once a Board of Directors is formed, you will see more discussion in that area.

SuperShafts
12-01-2007, 11:59 AM
No Super, they discussed mainly procedural situations and what they are looking for as a group. I am sure once a Board of Directors is formed, you will see more discussion in that area.
That would be a good area to have looked into for change..the cars for use in the rules for RR hurt at different places and some are not as easy to come by.
When the directors get straightened out, don't forget the cars rule.

SuperShafts
12-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Car rule? What's the car rule?
The cars you can and can't use.

Tower Man
12-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I with you on that one. I have a 73-74 Impala and there are none around without a hefty pricetag.

Performance Bodies has a Caprice in their catolog. Wheelbase is off, but it may work, with help in the rules department.

SuperShafts
12-01-2007, 04:25 PM
I honestly don't see a problem adding more cars to list of eligibility. How about a Dodge? After seeing what you can run, that ended right there.

Tracy87BB
12-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Just out of curiosity (and I'm going to risk sounding stupid here), what other full-size rear wheel drive Dodge would you like to see them allow?

RGeeProductions
12-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Good question Tracy. Being the Imperial, New Yorker, Newport, Coronet, Diplomat, Monaco, Polara, Royal Monaco, Fury, Grand Fury, Satellite are all in the 2007 rules as legal.
Think that pretty much covers all Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth vehicles pretty well.

Dennisc
12-02-2007, 07:57 AM
The reason there are no Dodge cars is the setup will be a little bit different. Also the fact that more than half of the Dodges listed are being eaten up to make really nice resto-mods. Now I may sound a little stupid here, but how about letting the option of running an engine that is not necessarily stock, but a factory engine. Say for instance a 350 in a big block GM car. Because I know I did a lot of searching this year for parts for my 500 car, couldn't find anything. So it would be easier to get a GM 350. Just a thought.

Tracy87BB
12-02-2007, 10:00 AM
You are right on the money about different setups, Dennis. Setting up a Dodge would be considerably different than, say, a GM. And many "newbies" in the BB division do seek out advice and help from the veterans...and there aren't too many veterans in the division who have experience with Dodges that could offer any assistance. And yes, I think they would be considerably harder to come by than even the currently allowed GM and Ford models that guys are having a hard time finding lately.

Just a reminder to everyone that the next BB meeting is tomorrow night, 7:30 pm at 90-D Dale Street in West Babylon, off Edison.

fisherman
12-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Good question Tracy. Being the Imperial, New Yorker, Newport, Coronet, Diplomat, Monaco, Polara, Royal Monaco, Fury, Grand Fury, Satellite are all in the 2007 rules as legal.
Think that pretty much covers all Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth vehicles pretty well.
I read the rules. 1 more line down it says all cars must be full frames. Tthe only Mopar car that is legal would be the Imperials. I had a long discussion with Bill D 2 years ago about this rule. His answer was read the rules. So I asked him which rule was right? Well to put it short and simple I was told to stay away. The rules are what are in writing. So that is why I stay away.

Tracy87BB
12-03-2007, 06:20 AM
I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the earlier model cars were full frame cars. The unibody cars weren't introduced until later. And personally, I don't think I'd want to be in a unibody car running against some of the larger cars in that division. But maybe that's just me...
My point is that I'm not sure what Dodge products people would like to see added to the list of eligible Blunderbust cars.

RGeeProductions
12-03-2007, 07:27 AM
The earlier full sized cars mentioned are full framed cars.
Basically why I was wondering which ones SuperShafts wanted added.

SuperShafts
12-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Just out of curiosity (and I'm going to risk sounding stupid here), what other full-size rear wheel drive Dodge would you like to see them allow?
The cars that are still around...they have all the C bodies listed, and 1 B body...no A bodies and B and F bodies which had the longest production runs right up to the late 80's
Have you looked for a coronet lately...
Forget the C bodies that are all about gone

You would probably spend the next 10 years looking for those bodies...not to mention what it might need to be race ready...

Cordoba's, 300's, Chargers (b), Volare's, late Road Runner, Dart Sports, (a), Marauders, LeBaron's, (f)

The only full frame cars were 300's and Imperials...and you're talking before 63 and that goes for the much older version fury..
The Imperial hasn't had a full frame since '66, and was the only 1 after '63 getting a full frame...

Not to mention even the GM, specifically the Chevy named cars, allowed...

SuperShafts
12-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Just so everyone knows.... up until 59....after 59 till 63 the only cars that were full frame from Mopar were the 300 and the Imperial....after 1963 to 1966 the only car that had a full frame was the Imperial...

Nascar was running aluminum nose Dodges that were/are unibody.

Nothing wrong with unibody...

fisherman
12-03-2007, 07:25 PM
I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the earlier model cars were full frame cars. The unibody cars weren't introduced until later. And personally, I don't think I'd want to be in a unibody car running against some of the larger cars in that division. But maybe that's just me...
My point is that I'm not sure what Dodge products people would like to see added to the list of eligible Blunderbust cars.

Hey Tracy, ask some of the old guys like Neal and Jason McGary from Southold how they liked runnin into my Newports. That is legal right from the factory, back in the mid to late 80's. A Mopar is easier to setup and has builtin jackinbolts. The Mopar motors have more power than the Chevy's and that's with all factory bolt on parts. They are stronger than you would think. In tech you would have problem policing the motors because you could win with a 1000 dollar motor.

fastgal
12-03-2007, 08:15 PM
I was going to suggest to ask the VILLIAN.

CheckerWon
12-04-2007, 07:04 PM
I believe a Dodge Polaris would be legal to run (I might be wrong ?) The Halpins and I got a hold of one many years ago (lol) and we were going to build a blunderbust out of it .....

Tracy87BB
12-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the clarification, SuperShafts and fisherman. My experience in the BB's has been predominantly with Chevys. I'm really just curious.
CheckerWon, according to the rules, a Polara is legal...but I guess whether or not it actually is legal would depend on whether it had a full frame or not.

SuperShafts
12-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the clarification, SuperShafts and fisherman. My experience in the BB's has been predominantly with Chevys. I'm really just curious.
CheckerWon, according to the rules, a Polara is legal...but I guess whether or not it actually is legal would depend on whether it had a full frame or not.
Even the Chevy rule is off. Other tracks use other bodies, and RR is stuck with a body that takes more time to find than to build..

IF you are going to go by the written rule of full frame, then you have a few problems.

The Polara would not be legal..

If you are going to use the full frame rule...

Then for a Mopar, you can ONLY use a 1966 or older Imperial...

Tracy87BB
12-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Before anyone starts talking about rule changes, etc., it is my understanding (having been at both meetings) that the primary goal is to get the drivers together and involved. I'm not saying you don't have valid points, SuperShafts, but I think the focus needs to be on just getting everyone together and communicating with each other about ways to make the division stronger and better. The date, time, etc. for the next meeting have not been set yet. When they are, I would urge each and every person who knows someone in the BB division to make sure that all interested parties know about it. Every team should try to send a representative. Whether you are a full-time racer or a part-time racer, you still have an investment in the track and the division, so you should want to be involved in any discussions that go on. Just my two cents...