PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Derby XXXIV Day 2

Tooner
11-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Turkey Derby Day 2 - 12 noon

Thought you might like to know that the track record was broken today in the Open Tour Type Modified Time Trials.

Matt Hirschman ran a 12.134....

Then Burt Myers ran a 12.121 for the pole.

Track Schedule a bit behind.

Will have b-main winners in a bit.

W. J.
11-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Here is the starting line-up for Tour Type Mods:

1. 14 Reggie Ruggiero
2. 76 Jimmy Blewett
3. 88 James Civali
4. 66 Pete Brittain
5. 06 Billy Pauch Jr.
6. 60 Matt Hirschman
7. 1 Bert Myers
8. 31 Tony Ferrante Jr.
9. 0 Danny Sammons
10. 15a Ken Woolley
11. 89 Brian Cranmer
12. 8 Earl Paules
13. 26 Danny Bohn
14. 93 Rowan Pennink
15. 11 Tommy Farrell III
16. 06 Les Hinckley
17. 5 Anthony Sesely
18.26 Dave Sapienza
19. 81 Nevin George
20. 22 Jamie Tomaino
21. 54 Michael Bohn
22. 09 Bobby Grigas
23. 96 Tim Arre (In Butch Perry's car) *P
24. 6R Rodney Gruber *P
25. 4 Barry Calavini *P
26. 53 Brian DeFebo *P
27. 03 Ken Darch *P

#55 Steven Reed was scratched due to drive train problems.

W. J.
11-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Full finish in the Turkey Derby (Updated)

1. 88 James Civali
2. 76 Jimmy Blewett
3. 31 Tony Ferrante Jr.
4. 93 Rowan Pennink
5. 8 Earl Paules
6. 96 Tim Arre
7. 89 Brian Cranmer
8. 0 Danny Sammons
9. 06 Billy Pauch Jr.
10. 60 Matt Hirschman
11. 22 Jamie Tomaino
12. 15A Ken Woolley
13. 36 Dave Sapienza
14. 03 Ken Darch
15. 53 Brian DeFebo
16. 06 Les Hinckley
17. 66 Pete Brittain
18. 11 Tommy Farrell III
19. 1 Bert Myers
20. 5 Anthony Sesely
21. 26 Danny Bohn
22. 54 Michael Bohn
23. 09 Bobby Grigas
24. 81 Nevin George
25. 4 Barry Callavini
26. 6R Rodney Gruber
27. 14 Reggie Ruggiero

Tooner
11-24-2007, 03:40 PM
I Think Billy Pauch Jr finished 9th in the 06, Grigas was involved in a crash.

W. J.
11-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Correct, Tooner, we had a little crossed communications earlier. Apologies to everyone.

W. J.
11-24-2007, 05:38 PM
The SK type Modified race is currently under a red flag, due to a crash between Jimmy Blewett and Kevin Flockhart. Flockhart was racing outside of Blewett, trying to make up a lap, when they touched and crashed hard, with Blewett hitting the wall near the pit entrance flat with his car. Both are reported to be okay, though a few scuffles broke out over the incident.

Blewett, who was leading at the time, is out of the race, as is Flockhart.

We will have the race results as soon as the race resumes and finishes.

BlingxBling
11-24-2007, 06:12 PM
*several vulgar words* Poor Jimmy :-(

Tooner
11-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Report I got was Flockhart made his lap up and was racing for the lead. I'm sure there will be plenty of versions of this by tomorrow.

Tooner
11-24-2007, 08:02 PM
complete results from Saturday on mylaps.com

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=268128

RGeeProductions
11-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Flockhart was not a lap down.
Cautions didn't count here.
Kevin was on RAILS. Passing from the back mostly on the outside cleanly. Sending the car into the turns like the old days of Mike Ewanitsko at Riverhead.
Plain and simple, Kevin was much faster and was on the outside and they just got into each other, period.
Jimmy hit the guardrail at an angle that the crowd silenced but all ended ok for both except for car damages.
On another note: Dave Sapienza ran a great race in the Open/Tour Type Mods. Dave had trouble and had to pit, with cautions not counting, he just had to line up in the rear. Dave got up to 4th in the closing laps and running very strong, catching the front 3 when on a restart, Rowan Pennick rode up and over Daves modified. I am sorry but, this was uncalled for. This wasn't a point race or a big money maker and put Dave out of the race.
Great job Dave.....you deserved the 4th place finish!!!!

Wheel Racing
11-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Flockhart was not a lap down.
Cautions didn't count here.
Kevin was on RAILS. Passing from the back mostly on the outside cleanly. Plain and simple, Kevin was much faster and was on the outside and they just got into each other, period.
Jimmy hit the guardrail at an angle that the crowd silenced but all ended ok for both except for car damages.

On another note: Dave Sapienza ran a great race in the Open/Tour Type Mods. Dave had trouble and had to pit, with cautions not counting, he just had to line up in the rear. Dave got up to 4th in the closing laps and running very strong, catching the front 3 when on a restart, Rowan Pennick rode up and over Daves modified. I am sorry but, this was uncalled for. This wasn't a point race or a big money maker and put Dave out of the race.
Great job Dave.....you deserved the 4th place finish!!!!

I have to disagree. Flockhart was faster the whole race and deserved to win, but cost himself the win and some friends at the same time. Initial contact with Jimmy that put Jimmy into the lead and Flockhart to the back was all Jimmy's fault and I admit that. He went after it a little too hard at that time, but Flockhart never tried to pass him at the end. He was so hung up on getting even that he rode Jimmy's a$$ until we ended up with a real ugly crash and fight. If Flockhart would have just been smart enough to pass, then we don't have the same conversation. I heard that both Flockhart and his father work for the Blewett family. I wonder how that will play out?

I agree with the Sap comments. He drove a great race and deserved to finish it with a potential top 3. Unfortunately, Rowan was over aggressive again (announcers even commented on how hard he was driving all night in both divisions. Makes me wonder just how innocent he was with the JR thing at NSS now.)

Ken Darch was also real fast in practice before breaking something in time trials and then the day just went down hilll from there. He made up a 1/2 lap on Ferrante in practice and Ferrante finished 3rd. Makes you wonder if Kenny would have had a top 10 himself.

I was also disappointed in the lack of outsiders. Burt Meyers was impressive, but where were Lia, Christopher, Accardi, Steuer, etc and the usual cast?

After watching todays races, I guess Riverhead isn't the only track where there are problems as some would have us believe. Although Wall really has improved their facility and it showed. Everything was clean and nice advertising in all the local stores I went to.

PS-Any pics of the III on the backstretch??

RGeeProductions
11-24-2007, 11:59 PM
I have to disagree.Flockhart was faster the whole race and deserved to win,but cost himself the win and some friends at the same time.Initial contact with Jimmy that put Jimmy into the lead and Flockhart to the back was all Jimmy's fault and I admit that.He went after it a little too hard at that time,but Flockhart never tried to pass him at the end.He was so hung up on getting even that he rode Jimmy's a$$ until we ended up with a real ugly crash and fight.If Flockhart would have just been smart enough to pass than we don't have the same conversation.I heard that both Flockhart and his father work for the Blewett family.I wonder how that will play out.

I agree with the Sap comments.He drove a great race and deserved to finish it with a potential top 3.Unfortunately Rowan was over aggressive again(announcers even commented on how hard he was driving all night in both divisions.Makes me wonder just how innocent he was with the JR thing at NSS now)

Ken Darch was also real fast in practice before breaking something in time trials and then the day just went down hilll from there.He made up a1/2 lap on Ferrante in practice and Ferrante finished 3rd.Makes you wonder if Kenny would have had a top 10 himself.

I was also disappointed in the lack of outsiders.Burt Meyers was impressive,but where were Lia,Christopher,Accardi,Steuer,etc and the usual cast?

After watching todays races,I guess Riverhead isn't the only track where there are problems as some would have us believe.Although Wall really has improved their facility and it showed.Everything was clean and nice advertising in all the local stores I went to.

PS-Any pics of the III on the backstretch??

Disagree? I agree with you on Flockhart. thought that's pretty much what I said above but without being too crude, EXCEPT, Flockhart WAS TO THE OUTSIDE of Blewett in turn 1 & 2 before this happened.
Myers was running extremely well till the end.
Accardi actually needs a ride. Too much outta pocket. Would be a great driver/car to sponsor next year.
Steuer was there, just no car, LOL....
No pics of Blewett's hit I know of. I could have but I was shocked from the hit he took that I didn't even think of taking a picture.

Wheel Racing
11-25-2007, 09:56 AM
I just got the impression that you were defending Flockhart by comparing him to Ewanitsko.He definitely left turned Jimmy's right rear in probably the worst place on the racetrack.He was real fast, just not real smart.Too bad about Accardi.I also thought Brigati was going.Wasn't he shaking it down recently?Anther driver that surprised me was Earl Paules.He was pretty rough yesterday.Also the pic I was asking about was the "III" that was painted on the track on the backstretch pavement .I couldn't get a good shot of it

The Bullfather
11-25-2007, 10:05 AM
http://www.racerhub.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=53337

Tooner
11-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks Bullfather

Golf Guy
11-25-2007, 10:37 AM
I just got the impression that you were defending Flockhart by comparing him to Ewanitsko.He definitely left turned Jimmy's right rear in probably the worst place on the racetrack.He was real fast, just not real smart.Too bad about Accardi.I also thought Brigati was going.Wasn't he shaking it down recently?Anther driver that surprised me was Earl Paules.He was pretty rough yesterday.Also the pic I was asking about was the "III" that was painted on the track on the backstretch pavement .I couldn't get a good shot of it

Neal I don't know if I agree with you. Jimmy was brake checking Flockhart real hard through the turns. It looked like coming out of 2 Flockhart was going to the outside when Jimmy rode him high and then Flockhart tried to dive to the inside and just hooked bumpers? Either way neither was innocent in this. As they say, I guess only the drivers really know.
I also heard that Sap ran out of gas and that is why he didn't go on the restart.
Also I thought Kenny Darch was driving pretty good in the feature, to bad about the black flag, he did not deserve it.

Fkraft99
11-25-2007, 12:46 PM
wonder where that "III" came from...

well whoever's idea that was... it was a good one. :)

KyleMac45
11-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Jimmy and Kevin where racing very hard all race long... there fore somebody was going to have to lose... Kevin did go back to the pits and got 4 brand new tires... which made him even faster... but what Kevin did to Jimmy was uncalled for I can see a few bumps and taps here and there but to wreck both cars is something really stupid....

PS: it was great to see everyone...

Kyle McGowan- Wall Speeedway Jr. Flagger- Trophy Boy

PSS: Did everyone see me in the Area Auto Racing News? and in the Turkey Derby Program (last page of the program Era of Nostilga)

Wheel Racing
11-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Neal I don't know if I agree with you. Jimmy was brake checking Flockhart real hard through the turns. It looked like coming out of 2 Flockhart was going to the outside when Jimmy rode him high and then Flockhart tried to dive to the inside and just hooked bumpers? Either way neither was innocent in this. As they say, I guess only the drivers really know.
I also heard that Sap ran out of gas and that is why he didn't go on the restart.
Also I thought Kenny Darch was driving pretty good in the feature, to bad about the black flag, he did not deserve it.

Flockhart was on new tires and way faster than Jimmy.Jimmy may have brake checked him,but that was all he had left.There was no way Jimmy could have held him off if Flockhart mad an actual attempt to pass.All Flockhart had to do was outbrake Jimmy going in and then he had all the bite he needed coming off to make a clean pass.He was so intent on roughing Jimmy up that he cost himself a win.Left turning a drivers right rear at corner entry like that is dangerous and we have all seen drivers scrutinized for that this year alone at Riverhead.Remember?

That stinks for Sap!

Darch was much faster in practice than the feature.He never regained that speed after the TT crash.Too bad,because he was pretty impressive

Wheel Racing
11-25-2007, 05:32 PM
wonder where that "III" came from...

well whoever's idea that was... it was a good one. :)

Well Played;)

Tooner
11-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Full race stories and photos on the front page of www.thechromehorn.com

Thanks again Chrome Horn!

RGeeProductions
11-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Ok, SAP's deal.
Dave didn't have a full tank of gas. When he pitted they threw in about 1 1/2 gallons and didn't think they even needed it. On his last restart the car wouldn't go and Rowan had no where to go but over SAP. The car was fast and could have caught the leaders and I guess we will never know what could have been.
Great run by Dave and great job by his crew....somewhat, LOL....