PDA

View Full Version : Tires

nitros77
12-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Anyone hear anything on the tire deal at riverhead? Like how much a tire will be, what compound are they going with, if we have to buy sets in advance. Hopefully, whoever runs it won't be somebody we have to race against.

Tracy87BB
12-04-2007, 04:47 PM
To the best of my knowledge, no official announcement has been made (or an "unofficial announcement," for that matter).
I ran into co-Chief Steward Mike Cappiello at Wall last weekend, and he said they had yet to finalize a deal. As soon as we hear something at the Jam, we'll be sure to pass it along!

CRog00
12-04-2007, 05:27 PM
I heard Brigati was supposed to run the tires

nflobster
12-04-2007, 06:09 PM
I know tires are a touchy subject but come on already it's 6 months to racing and the (can I have some cheese with that) whining is beginning. Whoever gets it doesn't matter and whichever tire you use doesn't matter; we are all in the same boat.

nitros77
12-04-2007, 06:35 PM
No body is whining, I'm just wondering if we are in the same ship as last year. We all know what happened to that ship, it sunk and we're going down with it for all the money we spend on tires! Just weighing my options for next year, trying to save my stuff or bail out. As for compound, maybe it's used at another track, so if we go somewhere else, we might not have to buy practice or heat tires, cutting the cost to race elsewhere. Another competitor getting the deal? All I have to say to that is they better have a lot of keys for the tire bins so we can all have the same privilege of getting our tires whenever we want.

outlawfab
12-04-2007, 09:05 PM
We're not in the running it, so don't put our name in it ....Dave Brigati

nflobster
12-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Sounds like whine to me, and by the way, if tires cost too much (I agree with that), I don't see how it would help in traveling to other tracks. Tolls and gas more than make up the cost difference. If you can't make it work here, it ain't gonna happen there either. Deal with it like most of the others seem to do.

modprincess8x
12-04-2007, 09:58 PM
That's not true, it was cheaper weekly for us to travel to Mountain for a full season last year than it would have been to run Riverhead. Then add in the fact that the drivers at Mountain have more respect for each other than the drivers at Riverhead so there is a lot less crashing, makes racing at Mountain cheaper yet.

Hollywood
12-05-2007, 05:56 PM
AMEN Modprincess!

It was Even cheaper taking the crew out for dinner the night before the "King of the Mountain", buying tires and fuel at the track and paying the tolls than it was to run 1 night at Riverhead... LOL But no complaints from me. We had FUN!

RacinRob
12-05-2007, 07:57 PM
:mad:The non racers are always on the defensive on how we "whine" about buying a set of tires for over 400 dollars every night. See how you like to pay over 100 dollars more a set of tires for the same set other tracks are getting for much cheaper!!!

nflobster
12-05-2007, 09:20 PM
i was trying to see how you save money traveling. if the tires are $560 a set at mountain; $620 at wall; $700 at riverhead. tolls are atleast $50. and i know it costs me $140.00 to fill my tank. i can make wall on a tank but i know i cant mountain (round trip)

Fat Albert
12-05-2007, 10:03 PM
I know, it's hard to believe but they're right! It's cheaper to travel than to race close to home at "The Head"! On the True Value series tires are $125 each and they allow only three per race. The $375 is recouped by qualifying.
Plus, like Modprincess said, there is a lot less crashing and much more respect amongst the drivers. Not to mention no fighting and more fun!

nobandwagonhere
12-05-2007, 10:09 PM
It was cheaper for us to run at Mountain than it was for us to run Riverhead last year. And I live 2 blocks from the track. It might sound crazy, but if you dont believe me....try it.

art11758
12-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Even spectating is cheaper off the Island. I live 17 miles (1/2 hour) from Riverhead. I spend the exact same amount to go to Mahoning for a show as I do at Riverhead. And typically I have a better time. The eats are top shelf and reasonably priced. The drive is longer so I do lose about three hours, all in all though it is a fair trade.

Tracy87BB
12-07-2007, 01:53 PM
OK, I have communicated with the track office, and here is the latest information on tires as of December 7th:

A deal for the tires at Riverhead has yet to be finalized. I have been assured that we at the Jam will be informed as soon as possible when it is official. So please, be patient.

I have been informed that Barbara and Jim Cromarty have indicated that they will be going to a less expensive tire for the Modifieds in 2008 (no specifics, sorry). Tires in general are expected to be less expensive in the upcoming season.

Full details regarding tires, including who will be the distributor, what specific tires will be used, cost, and the actual distribution of tires will be available once the deal is finalized. We will post any and all information on LongIslandJam.com when we receive it.

Golf Guy
12-08-2007, 01:11 PM
I had an idea, don't know if it would have worked or has been tried before, but, what if whoever had the tire deal was to offer for the holidays an area where someone could buy their favorite driver/friend a tire for Christmas? The tire distributor could issue a gift certificate and you could give it as a present?

TruValueRacer
12-17-2007, 11:12 PM
In my opinion to get the mods back to Riverhead... 1) Lower the cost, say about $125 a tire... 2) Different compound.... 3) Get someone who isn't involved in any division to run the tire area. 4) Start penalizing the drivers for their rough riding... because who wants to go racing to wreck every week? 5) Put prize money back down on the bottom just so if you have a rough night you can get atleast something back from it (this will also bring the "little guy" back). 6) Get officials that aren't afraid of making calls and sticking to their calls, and who aren't going to be intimidated by anyone who approaches them yelling or screaming. This will at least bring some guys back. 7) Last but not least, do something about the "special" tires that people are using and getting away with using it. 8) Have a special race at the end of the year like Mountain, Wall, etc......not knocking Mountain, but if Mountain can get 35 cars, there's a reason Riverhead can't get 35 cars and maybe more! It's time to man up and do something to bring racing back to the Island!

Fat Albert
12-18-2007, 07:49 PM
All good ideas! I couldn't agree more! But I'll be shocked if just 2 of your 8 ideas actually become reality!

catfish
12-19-2007, 08:57 AM
2 may be pushing it as well

nymods
12-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Those fans that have been going to Mountain weekly will see even better competition in the mods weekly. I've heard of a bunch of drivers coming from Mahoning and also some that have raced on the tour as well. It should be a great group of cars weekly at Mountain.

nflobster
01-07-2008, 08:04 PM
I've heard JYD still has a year on their contract and I drove by the track today and see he still has his stuff in there. Two more names which also keep popping up are Partridge and Joe B. What has anybody else heard?

W. J.
01-07-2008, 08:12 PM
In a conversation with Bob Finan, he told me that there's nothing fianl yet. JYD is completely finished, despite what you thinky uo saw, and the new deal is yet o bbe announced.
Be patient, they hope to be able to tell everyone at the meetings on Jan 27th. Until then, believe none of what you hear unless it comes from Bob Finan or someone else officially connected to the track.

nflobster
01-07-2008, 08:19 PM
I just find it odd that with all the rumors about the changes with the tire deal; all of JYD's trailers and stuff is still there. After all, it is 2008 and April will be here soon.

KickItUp
01-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Ya know, in my opinion, it would be a better idea for a racer to run this tire deal.. Who better to run it, than one who knows first hand the costs involved in racing, what works in a tire, what doesn't, someone who wants to do good by other racers, etc.. A non-racer, non-race driver I should say, has no other need in this business but to make a profit, no matter how it kills the racer.. A driver may be more inclined to want to make best for the racer first.. Something like that...

And yeah, all of the JYD stuff is still in tact.. I can't imagine the Cromarty's buying it from JYD.. You would think they'd want it out of there..

Although I believe a race driver running the tire biz is a good thing, those Joe B rumors I hope are just that.. That isn't what the track and it's drivers need. Not after last season's antics!

I myself have heard a few particular names thrown around (one great one who supposedly is THE one), from a track employee.. I will not say who they were, nor who my source is, as their job could be compromised.. It though, would be a good thing for the racers.. But there is still the whole JYD thing.................

W. J.
01-10-2008, 08:57 AM
As per a conversation I had on the phone at 8:55AM this morning with Bob Finan, Riverhead Raceway will announce a new tire dealer in the near future, as he pointed out in "Eye on Riverhead" at the track's website.

NO FORMAL ANNOUNCEMENT OF ANYONE HAS YET BEEN MADE. Anything said by anyone besides Bob Finan, the official track spokesperson, should be considered as purely a guess on that persons part.

Sam Michaels
01-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Maybe the congratulatory post should be deleted then. I have seen other post, known to be rumor, or non factual, deleted.

W. J.
01-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Good point, Sam. Thanks for the idea.

broz
01-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Sorry Walt, that's just wrong....

It was NEVER said what Brigati was being congratulated for. Thanks for flexing your "muscle" as usual.
WOW.....the shroud of secrecy that is Riverhead Raceway! Thanks for protecting adults from information that may harm them :applause:

On second thought...why not delete the whole thread like it never existed or like this VERY important issue NEVER existed? Will you be shelling out any money for tires this season?

nitros77
01-10-2008, 02:35 PM
competing against someone who run's the tire's is no competition at all.to me it would be a huge advantage:mad:

LongIslandJam
01-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Broz,

This forum is to discuss issues, as you mentioned. However, as Walter reminded you, there has been no official announcement. It's not so much protecting adults, but so much doing the right thing and respecting an entity's privacy.

Sal,
As far as tires go, that is a concern if a fellow competitor is running the tire business. That's one that will have to be addressed if the situation comes up.

fastgal
01-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Without droping names, it seems all those mentioned for Riverhead have something or someone involved in racing. Go to other tracks like Wall and the Bohn family races. Summers and the tour.. even when ForMac had it, Paul raced.

hollywoodmic
01-10-2008, 05:26 PM
C'Mon Sal you've been competing against a racer for years. JYD Enterprises is in part John Denniston. It never seemed to hurt you before. I thought they were very fair with the competitors. John, who raced against you for 3 seasons in the Modified division, was a very big part of what went on at JYD. You are only going to get racing people to be involved in racing on LI. Who else could've done it, not involved somehow with a race team, it's the nature of the beast? When has someone ever involved in racing on LI not had an original tie to a race team somehow??? Whoever gets the tire distributorship, good luck. Thanks Ellen, Gina, Mike Cass, Billy & Johnny D of JYD for all the support over the years. Good Luck to all of you.

Steve Halpin

DriveitinDeep
01-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Well said Steve

nitros77
01-10-2008, 06:08 PM
I never said it would hurt me or any one else. As long as it's level playing field for all. You know what I mean.

Turbo
01-10-2008, 06:08 PM
I think instead of all this negative energy about the tires, I think we should think about all the positive things that will come out of this! #1 reason... CHEAPER, CHEAPER, CHEAPER, CHEAPER, CHEAPER!!!! We cannot predict what will happen with the tires and I say for whoever runs it, they are innocent until proven guilty!! Bring it up when we actually see something happen instead of forecasting. I think it will be much improved from previous years (jmo) :applause::applause: And let's wait until January 27th for when the **official announcement** is actually made, instead of assuming who will run it.

oldschool
01-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Even if Dave does get the tire deal, give him a chance, he did a great job turning the karts around.

KickItUp
01-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Why not trust a fellow racer before accusing him.. Right away if a driver who you race against runs a business selling tires, you automatically assume he will cheat.. Not everyone cheats. Cheaters accuse in my opinion.. those who don't trust are the ones needing to be watched in my experiences..

In any case, Brigati is one heck of a business man, do you know how many SUCCESSFUL business' he runs? I think he will be an asset.. IF he is the one, best of luck to him, he will be successful at this as he is with all his other successful ventures.. I don't know him personally, but know his business'..

And yes, karts were great this season with promise for bigger and better next season, according to family and friends that race..

RacinRob
01-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Let's give the man a chance....I mean let's face it, he put the go karts back on the map at Riverhead Raceway!

figure849
01-12-2008, 01:13 PM
IF Dave gets the tire deal, there is no one better that I know that will treat everyone equally. Dave wants to keep racing alive on the Island. Look what he has made the karting division into. They are your future racers.
Good luck Dave if you decide to take this on. Looks like you will need it.

unowho243
01-14-2008, 05:05 PM
I think Dave would do a great job if in fact he is the person picked, hes very honest and a all around nice guy.

nflobster
01-16-2008, 08:52 PM
one of the guys who works for me just let me know that dave won't be selling tires because of a lot of negative things said to him from other competitors. at the late model meeting i asked him if the prices were going down and he said you will be happy. that's ashame because he wanted to work with the racers and would have had plenty available to pick up during the week. i hope whoever gets the deal does the right thing. he wasn't 100% on the prices but saving $75 to $100 a set as well as having plenty to pick from when we want them not just on saturday (i got to see those lines as well as slim pickings) seemed like a good thing to me. i guess we will know more at the meetings. too bad all the negativity ruined what would have been a good thing. just my 2 cents.

LongIslandJam
01-16-2008, 09:48 PM
My sources are telling me nothing's decided yet. So we'll see who winds up with the tire deal. We'll know for sure during the competitor meetings.

fastgal
01-17-2008, 12:01 AM
if thats the case then thats too bad. maybe some people would like to see the track stay open and the racers get a fair shake. did any of the people that dont want brigati involved offer to step up take over or is it the same old complaning going on. they cry that change is needed and when it does the bickering doesn't end. give it a break people

fisherman
01-27-2008, 06:58 PM
so whats tire deal and prices for fig 8s

debbie33
01-27-2008, 08:36 PM
They have not decided on the tire deal yet so they could not discuss tires. We were told to wait and it will be discussed at a later date.

fsracer
01-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Looks like the tire deal went to the guy in the pear tree.

Best of luck!

W. J.
01-30-2008, 07:06 PM
He, too, is a good choice.

But, let the complaining begin, as we all know it will.

Fat Albert
01-30-2008, 08:43 PM
You may be right, Walt! They'll probably be some complainers, but I think this is a good decision.

fisherman
01-30-2008, 08:53 PM
You may be right, Walt! They'll probably be some complainers, but I think this is a good decision.

what with no deal in place yet? JUST HAVE NO TIRE RULE THEN. like old school racing

debbie33
01-30-2008, 09:03 PM
So who got the tire deal then?????

W. J.
01-30-2008, 10:26 PM
So who got the tire deal then?????You've got to read between the lines to figure that out, lol! (hint-in a pear tree!)

LEAD LAP
01-30-2008, 11:43 PM
O.K. For all of us who don't get, or understand, your silly joke, can you just come out and say who the tire seller will be and where they are.

Or do we have to wait for another "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT".

Racer53
01-31-2008, 12:11 AM
Well if they are talking about pear's in a tree... my guess would be Ed Partridge?

Fat Albert
01-31-2008, 07:20 AM
That's a good guess, Racer8, but I think they meant palm tree, not pear tree!

DriveitinDeep
01-31-2008, 08:14 AM
that would be a very accurate guess Sean

h.p.
01-31-2008, 08:52 AM
i guess now we all know what T.S. stands for"tire supplier"

debbie33
01-31-2008, 09:15 AM
If it is Eddie he stated at the meeting if he got the tire deal that his car would not race at Riverhead. Maybe this will make some of the people happy since they did not like the fact that another racer would have the deal. Whoever gets it best of luck!!! And if you are smart give Gina a call she knows her stuff about tires.

MODFAN15
01-31-2008, 03:44 PM
That's a good guess, Racer8, but I think they meant palm tree, not pear tree!

IS THAT LIKE IN CECIL?

Turbo
01-31-2008, 04:02 PM
We will just see if Showtime will not show up for a few Riverhead shows!! :-B

hollywoodmic
01-31-2008, 04:31 PM
If it's an open tire rule and you can pick up your tires during the week, who cares if he has 15 modifieds. May the best chemist win, it should be fun again like it was in 99' and 2000, when everyone was allowed to play the game. Good Luck, if you indeed finished the deal.

Fkraft99
01-31-2008, 05:33 PM
hey HP thats not what your voicemail said it stood for.... lol

sobe
01-31-2008, 06:58 PM
If it's an open tire rule and you can pick up your tires during the week, who cares if he has 15 modifieds. May the best chemist win, it should be fun again like it was in 99' and 2000, when everyone was allowed to play the game. Good Luck, if you indeed finished the deal.

STEVE 99' YOU WERE ALLOWED 2000 YOU WERENT BUT SOME STILL DID

Fat Albert
01-31-2008, 10:45 PM
STEVE 99' YOU WERE ALLOWED 2000 YOU WERENT BUT SOME STILL DID

But, of course, we all know that any kind of chemical treatment of tires is strictly prohibited by NASCAR! Not to mention it can be hazardous to your health!

From the Stafford Speedway rule book...
NOTICE: A participant competing in any race at Stafford Motor Speedway specifically agrees that he/she acknowledges it is illegal to soak or treat racing tires and that said soaking or treatment of racing tires is against EPA regulations and further contains carcinogens and hazardous material which are unfit for his/her health and the health of all competitors and spectators. Any participant found violating the rule is subject to suspension.

Turbo
01-31-2008, 11:34 PM
its all on the officials. Doesnt matter who is the tire dealer and how many cars he has. Lets hope that the officials do their jobs when they actually check the tires, thats all!

hollywoodmic
02-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Sobe you are 100% correct. My mistake. Turbo who cares what people do to the tires. There has been so much grumbling that "this guy gets away with it," "and that guy doesn't." I say just let them do what they want. OR TOTALLY POLICE IT. Which means no more air tanks at the track, I know how we can get it into the tires, with the old air tank. Every trailer would have to be inspected every week, for an extra set of tires, if you go up a set you have many ways to get the "home set" on to your racecar. Then you can bring the new set home, and treat them. Trust me stenciling the tires doesn't work either. You would now have to paint the insides of the tires and break them down after every feature, to see if any of the paint ran. That's how the TVMS Series seems to do it and that works, they also brand every tire. I say just let them do what they like with the tires, we did it when it wasn't policed and it was the best racing I've seen in every division in years.

Fat Albert
02-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah! Why not let them do whatever they want? Let them use traction control and open rears, (Gleasons & such) and while you're at it why tech their carburetors and engines. Why have any rules at all? If there are no rules, there'll be no cheating! I like it!

KickItUp
02-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Exactly.. Besides, what about the guys who can't afford juice, or don't want to risk their health.. Makes it further unfair to the little guy..

fastgal
02-01-2008, 09:10 PM
if the racer cannot afford a $50.00 can of "juice" they are not going to buy a set of tires.

spabler
02-02-2008, 09:45 AM
How about this idea:
The new tire guy and promoter switches to a softer compound making it unnecessary to treat the tires, in fact it may put the tire at risk of coming apart if you do treat them. The down side is the new softer compound will wear faster. As we run 35 lap races this may not be a problem, but any longer distance races would be a challenge.
I also think marking the inside of the tires would be the most practical way to go. Unless the track buys a sniffer to detect the compounds used to treat the questioned tire. I suggested last year the track run a 50/50 in the pits to acquire the device.

LongIslandJam
02-02-2008, 10:45 AM
I found this article about tire softener. It's dated, but basically sums up the issue:

http://www.outsidegroove.com/SpeedReading/speedreading_07252002.htm

spabler
02-02-2008, 11:53 AM
J.A.,
Great article and I have to agree 100% the stuff is a crutch.
For example: Back in the day when it was OK to use the stuff I was with a team that used it but didn't like the stuff, when it was taken away the following season we stomped the field. In fact our driver liked it better without the stuff, the tires grip didn't fall off as fast at the end of a run. The teams that knew how to set up there cars shined and the teams that needed a crutch fell off. To me I find it more satisfying to be fast and running well knowing it was my set up, my team and driver that made my car run up front on a good night.
PS: Our tire guy went melted more than a few pairs of sneakers....lmao.....

RacinRob
02-02-2008, 04:46 PM
tire sniffers are not accurate...poor way to police this issue.

spabler
02-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Tough using a durometer to check also, I have gotten a freak soft tire or two right out of the tire bin. So for a guy like me that doesn't use the stuff it would be a shame to get dq'ed for a soft tire. There has to be a solution to this problem without going to the expense of sending the tire in question out for testing.

LongIslandJam
02-02-2008, 05:36 PM
How about an old arson dog... Isn't the active ingredients of tire softener toluene and benzene, accelerants used for arsons?

fastgal
02-02-2008, 06:24 PM
thats part of the problem. if half the cars use it and half don't the half that dosen't will pick it up on their tires.

W. J.
02-02-2008, 07:14 PM
That's part of the problem. If half the cars use it and half don't the half that doesn't will pick it up on their tires.But that would be a benefit to those not using (saves them the cost), even though it wouldn't be them using it, as they could prove by dismounting (any) one for inspection by the officials!

RebelMtrspts29
02-03-2008, 11:07 AM
I am all for J.A.'s idea of bringing Rin Tin Tin into the pits hahaha! :applause:

Tower Man
02-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Use a durometer. During my tenure we stuck over 5000 tires, (I still have the sheets), hot and cold. There was a range of 4 - 6 points on average. Every once in a while we found a tire 20 points or more softer.

Our hot/cold numbers matched what Hoosier Tire sent me as to what the number should be.

It's a simple science. You don't need Lassie or Rin Tin Tin.

W. J.
02-03-2008, 12:13 PM
It's a simple science. You don't need Lassie or Rin Tin Tin. Could we maybe just try Zoe (Debbie 33's dog)? :lol:

JBonsignore
02-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Tower, that just seems too simple, i doubt they will go for that idea! :rolleyes:

it is very simple, you stick a new tire and get a base line, everyone in the division has to be in a certain range, say +/- 3-5 points on the durometer! Set a strict rule on it, and throw people out for the night, without pay and points, and handicap them with a win.

Either that or spray the outside groove

spabler
02-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Just as I stated earlier and Tower Man confirmed in his post, sticking the tires with a durometer still leaves the poor guy that dose not soak the risk of a DQ when he gets the 1 in 5000 tire that is soft out of the tire bin. Perhaps if they take into account this may happen, not leaving a loop hole so to speak, but an allowance for such an event that may work. On the opposite side of the coin I have gotten tires that were so hard they lasted weeks......lol.......

JBonsignore
02-03-2008, 07:26 PM
ok so when the new tire dealer sells you the tire, it is checked and marked down in a book before it leaves.

hollywoodmic
02-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Fat Albert I'm not saying NO RULES. You know as well as I do that some folks think that certain guys get away with it, and it hasn't been an even playing field for quite a while. So what I am saying is if one or more teams are already doing it and getting away with why not let everyone do it. When a car is 1/2 a second faster than everyone else you know as well as I do it's not raw talent. You also could'nt tell me that the other 15 drivers just ran out of talent. The reason for my post was a call for the officials be consistent. I can give you 5 different ways to soak tires and it can go almost un-detected. I'd love to see no tire softner, if EVERYONE had to live by the same rules. As for the person that says "what if you can't afford it" call me I'll tell you what you can buy at Home Depot for $9.00/gallon that does the same thing.