PDA

View Full Version : Single file

modfan#22
12-12-2007, 07:45 PM
RESTARTS: Restart lineups will revert to the last completed lap. Restarts will be double file for initial start. All subsequent restarts will be single file. Single file restarts will require cars to be NOSE-TO-TAIL, in line. On all restarts racing begins at the drop of the green. Any car obtaining an advantage on a single-file restart by being out of line may be disqualified or set back two spots for each car passed by the starter. Restart penalties will be assessed on the next restart lineup. If the race ends without another yellow, the penalties will be assessed on the final order of finish.

WHY Single FILE? THIS IS NOT WHAT THE FANS WANT, CAN'T BE WHAT THE FANS WANT. THIS STINKS! DOUBLE FILE UNTIL THE LAST FIVE OR TEN LAPS. YOU WANT FANS, DOUBLE THEM UP.

Chuck Schartzer
12-13-2007, 08:24 AM
:disgusted UNBELIEVABLE :disgusted

intense1
12-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Single file restarts have cut down on wrecks that slow down the tempo of the show. We tried to go double file to the third caution, at the end of the season, and ended up single file before we could complete one lap.
Handicapping determines starting positions. Features were extended this season to give drivers more time to get to the front. The application of the VHT trackbite made for a good second groove. Together this has provided for MORE passing and LESS wrecking.

BlingxBling
12-13-2007, 11:13 AM
The NELMA race had the same rules in place. For those of you who attended that event would agree it was not like watching paint dry. Single file or double file, they are still going to wreck each other. Single file or double file starts, passing will still happen. If it eliminates destruction and allows the race teams to go back to their garages after a racing evening without having to rebuild their race car, then I say give it a try.

Geno
12-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Although I’m not in complete agreement with going single file and after going to a handful of shows last season I did notice the reduction of cautions, which made for some good racing.

I do have to question the more passing comment though. Is there any statistical information to compare against previous years?

Chuck Schartzer
12-13-2007, 11:52 AM
You're right, the Late Model race wasn't like watching paint dry, that was like watching the WWF!!! Even the Whelen Mod Tour went to double file resarts for the fans--other than a Sprint Car show, just about all short tracks restart double file. One more thing; I've been going to Evergreen--Mountain or whatever you call it, since '89 and the one thing that still happens (on an average-in my opinion-speaking of mods) is that around 10 finish out of a starting field of 20! I also feel the yellows are less, mostly due to the use of the VHT track bite! :cheers:

gripz
12-14-2007, 11:32 AM
I've been going to Mountain since the 70's and I know they didn't have radio's or mirrors in the cars. What makes the racing is not the man on the radio, it's the driver. I've seen so much mirror driving and blocking this season it's no wonder they have to have single file starts. If they would let the driver drive the car, there wouldn't be so many cautions, because he wouldn't have someone on the radio telling him to block the other driver ready to make a pass.
And while we are on the subject, I'm really going to open a can of worms. I'm talking about the officials having favorites, and don't say it's not true, it is. I know that every track has it, but Mountain is just about the worst. An example; one night an official in the booth was making a call, and the mike was open, but he didn't know that we heard every thing he said, and he changed the rule because the car was a favorite. Makes a person really want to come back and run there.....

intense1
12-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Gripz,
I am sorry that you feel the way you do about favoritism at Mountain. Please feel free to call me anytime at the track office phone #(570-384-3215) to discuss your opinion further.
Like I said earlier, we have tried doubling up to the third caution.
I don't see why any division can't run an entire feature...with less than three cautions.
Blame the track?...or, blame the drivers, spotters, mirrors, etc.?
Who's fault is it?...

gripz
12-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Could you tell me if everyone pays the same price for a pit pass, a pit spot, to get into the pits, and even tires for whatever class he runs??? The answer is yes; then why don't they get treated the same??? Please don't try and act like I'm just making trouble, I'm not, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what goes on. Can you honestly tell me you don't think that officials have a favorite driver??? If you think that, I have some swamp land I would like to sell you. But if you do think that, there is nothing else to say to you, because nothing will change, except a low car count. BUT I guess that will be just fine, because your favorites will win most of the races, just like 2007!

nymods
12-14-2007, 09:27 PM
The single file restarts worked well for the racers. It did allow more cars to go home in on piece, but at the same time, it was not as exciting for the fans. There weren't many cars able to pass when it went single file. The syrup definitely helped the better cars get to the outside instead of banging their way to the front, which led to some great side by side racing. Mountain is one of the few short tracks that has a second groove, but I think that the fans want to see side by side racing throughout the pack though, and not just by a few cars. Many of the Mountain fans also attend Mahoning, and the double file restarts and close racing throughout the pack there are like no other track around, but they also have nights where the races take forever. They have to go double file though, because there would not be enough track to go single file. The single file restarts worked well for us this year because we knew we had to get the car working on the high side to get to the front. There are both positives and negatives to each, and I think on an average night, that double file restarts will take more cars out of the race.
For this coming year, I have heard of a bunch of good new modified teams coming to race weekly at Mountain, so they must be doing something right.