PDA

View Full Version : iRacing.com - sim racing - includes Stafford and Mods!

Steve O
12-15-2007, 12:15 AM
I stumbled across this the other day and it has my interest...

http://www.iracing.com/

As I understand it, it's the folks who did the Papyrus racing games (various Nascar games, Grand Prix Legends, etc.) are doing this. They really strove to get the racing physics correct on those games. Sounds like they're going to market this as a simulation and not a game. Good. There's some cool shots of Stafford on there. Seems that they've been laser-scanning tracks to make them as accurate as possible.

Claff, you are/were heavy into the sim racing scene... what do you know?

-Steve

SIModified
12-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Steve,
Check out www.SIModified.com

If you have the NASCAR Racing 2003 Season by Papyrus, you can be racing modifieds at Stafford and Thompson now, and not when iRacing decides to release their high dollar simulation program.

skmod81
12-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Also, http://www.karseries.com/

broz
12-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Guess this thread turned into a way for you guys to "promote" your own personal league sites :confused:

Thanks Steve-O for updating us on what happened to the "Pappy" guys...they are sorely missed! YES, you can thank NASCAR once again for someone else's demise as they sold out to EA Sports. How anyone plays the EA Nascar games and thinks they're "SIM-Racing" is beyond me :mad:

I for one, will support this "NEW" effort in bringing the finest Sim-Racing game to the public. Unfortunately, when developement of Pappy Racing games stopped, so did any real chance of improving what they had. It was nice of them to release the source codes so people could "mod" the game, but no real improvements to the original game from 2003 have been made.

This new SIM should make for great league play! Can't wait! :cheers:

GSM
12-17-2007, 09:06 PM
It was nice of them to release the source codes so people could "mod" the game, but no real improvements to the original game from 2003 have been made.

It was nice of 'pappy' team to release the code to the community, and then it was real nice of the 'pappy' team, when new mods with new physics started to be released, issue cease and desist letters to those modders with the threat of lawsuits for modding the game.

Besides, the iRacing game is going to have a $500 a year pay to play subscription.

SIModified
12-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Broz,
I posted simply to direct folks to where they could be racing modifieds on the PC now and not when iRacing decides to release their sim.

I did not say, "Hey, here's my league, we run modifieds, blah, blah, blah...."

The tracks are at our site and there's plenty of more realistic cars to come. If you want to join the league, great. If not, the cars and tracks are there for you to enjoy.

People seem to get the two sites that posted in this thread confused all the time. There's nothing I can do about it.

I also want to add that Fran helped us with photographic reference for this project. Real modified folks had a hand in making SIModified happen.

skmod81
12-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Guess this thread turned into a way for you guys to "promote" your own personal league sites :confused:

Thanks Steve-O for updating us on what happened to the "Pappy" guys...they are sorely missed! YES, you can thank NASCAR once again for someone else's demise as they sold out to EA Sports. How anyone plays the EA Nascar games and thinks they're "SIM-Racing" is beyond me :mad:

I for one, will support this "NEW" effort in bringing the finest Sim-Racing game to the public. Unfortunately, when developement of Pappy Racing games stopped, so did any real chance of improving what they had. It was nice of them to release the source codes so people could "mod" the game, but no real improvements to the original game from 2003 have been made.

This new SIM should make for great league play! Can't wait! :cheers:

Get over it. It was just put out there for you to race mods online now..... Just like Charlie said.

broz
12-17-2007, 11:00 PM
NO, you both "get over it"! My point was and IS, that Steve-O started this thread trying to give everyone some information on a new SIM. I don't see anywhere where he asked about finding new leagues to race in?

You could have started your OWN thread about your respective websites and the MANY mods available for NR2003!

Now back to the POINT of this thread....
I am excited about the development of this new SIM and look for to getting more "legitimate" details about it :wave:

This pissin' match is over and I'm out!

SIModified
12-17-2007, 11:15 PM
I think the screens will speak for themselves....If you want to spend the 500 dollars a year for iRacing, by all means go right ahead. Everything at SIModified is a FREE download, as long as you have the NASCAR Racing 2003 Season sim.

iRacing's "SK Modified"
http://media.iracing.com/images/cars/sk_main.gif

SIModified
http://captaindynamite.homestead.com/files/2.jpg

iRacing's Stafford
http://media.iracing.com/images/tracks/stafford_track1.gif

SIModified's version of Stafford
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b85/omodified/stafford1-1.jpg

:wave:

MOD JUNKIE
12-18-2007, 01:30 PM
don't know much of either league, but the sim pic's look more like real mods too me than the ir stuff. might be because the sim group race's tour mods and the ir is running sk's; lol's

KL17
12-21-2007, 09:33 AM
There not so much "leagues" as individual games. Chances are if you're involved in the sim racing community, you'll know about iRacing's tactics and history. A $500 a year subscription to play any online game, is ludicrous. The crew at Simmodified created their mod out of the love for the modifieds, on their own time and at their own expense-they didn't do it to make a buck. That alone makes my choice easy.

Steve O
12-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Sorry, no I didn't know what they were about. I was trying to get Grand Prix Legends running on my new PC and stumbled across it. I thought it was interesting that they had mods and Stafford. I didn't meant to stir up a bunch of controversy about it.

-Steve

RGeeProductions
12-22-2007, 09:45 AM
You didn't Steve.
Thanks for the post.