PDA

View Full Version : Silky to the #79 ?????

jfp711
12-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Heard from a good source that one of the tours up & coming drivers Ronnie Silk will be behind the wheel of the Coors Light #79, if true that should be for a tough combo on both the North & Southern Mod tours. That whole family and team are a class act and I wish them all the best in 2008. As for Pit-Gate have not heard where he will be in 08 if all this is indeed true.

The Bullfather
12-17-2007, 03:59 PM
not sure but it seemed Pitkat was getting more interest from down south. Could he land a developmental deal. He has the back ground to garner one! Could we see him maybe in a Busch East car like he did at the Toyota All-Star race at Irwindale!

ThE sHaDoW
12-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Heard from a good source that one of the tours up & coming drivers Ronnie Silk will be behind the wheel of the Coors Light #79, if true that should be for a tough combo on both the North & Southern Mod tours. That whole family and team are a class act and I wish them all the best in 2008. As for Pit-Gate have not heard where he will be in 08 if all this is indeed true.

That is correct, not rumor.

jfp711
12-17-2007, 04:59 PM
I knew it was from a pretty strong source. Should be a pretty tough team.

TnLRacing
12-17-2007, 08:46 PM
I hope Woody is on to bigger and better things. As far as Silk and the 79 being a potent combo?? Woody has done the best in that car since Flemke drove it. I like silky, but I would much rather have Woody in my seat if I was the owner

The Bullfather
12-17-2007, 09:00 PM
two great candates to run a modified. Both have their pros and cons. Woody seems to be a better all around driver, he can wheel almost anything he steps into. Proven himself in Late Models and Sks. Silk really came on strong and showed he could hang with the big boys up front in a car with no sponsorship. Woody is a better PR guy and can really attract the crowd, which sponsors want! Silk is the younger driver and really has set forth in the right direction. Who would be the better driver for the 79? I think Woody is the best choice, but his plans to move foward might have brought the decision easier to the 79 Hillbilly team. They got a great young driver with great equipment with Ronnie Silk. Silk may have been the best driver second half of the season, he stood tall and made people take notice!

bucket67
12-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Silk is in the car because of money he's able to bring with him.Both Silk and Woody are good drivers but as usual $$$$$ talks.Woody was told 5 minutes before the banquet by the Hill's which i think was classless.Woody was just down to the shop a week or so ago and now gets the boot.So much for giving him a chance.Makes you wonder how the Hill's run things this being the third driver change in less than a year.Hossfeld all of a sudden is out then Woody and now they bring in Ronnie.All i can say is watch out Ronnie you don't get the shaft too....

chrome horn
12-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Things happen for a reason. The changes made by the Hill's were for reason they believe were in their best interest. They pay the bills and have the right to make decisions on what they want. I feel bad for Woody, but I know he'll land a ride somewhere on the tour. He's one heck of a shoe. Ronnie's proved he's one heck of a driver over the past couple years, and I think this can be a very successful combination. I wish all parties involved the best of luck in '08

stabone
12-18-2007, 12:26 AM
Silk is in the car because of money he's able to bring with him.Both Silk and Woody are good drivers but as usual $$$$$ talks.Woody was told 5 minutes before the banquet by the Hill's which i think was classless.Woody was just down to the shop a week or so ago and now gets the boot.So much for giving him a chance.Makes you wonder how the Hill's run things this being the third driver change in less than a year.Hossfeld all of a sudden is out then Woody and now they bring in Ronnie.All i can say is watch out Ronnie you don't get the shaft too....

Sorry bucket thats why he is in the 79!!!!!! Because he didnt have to bring money....THAT WHY HE BROKE HIS TIES WITH THE 3!!! Straight from Mike B.....The 3 team totally understood his postion....so before u start throwing around accusations.....have a CLUE what you are talking about!!!!:)

bucket67
12-18-2007, 06:22 AM
Sorry bucket thats why he is in the 79!!!!!! Because he didnt have to bring money....THAT WHY HE BROKE HIS TIES WITH THE 3!!! Straight from Mike B.....The 3 team totally understood his postion....so before u start throwing around accusations.....have a CLUE what you are talking about!!!!:)

Stabone i have nothing against Ronnie.But the reason he's in the 79 is because HE IS BRINGING MONEY.And that's fine.And i do have a clue as to what i'm saying as it came straight from Woody himself this past weekend....

Teds Race Tours
12-18-2007, 10:08 AM

Ronnie Silk's finishes in 2007
3rd
25th
7th
21st
6th
6th
3rd
3rd
20th
25th
6th
12th
2nd
1st
5th
5th

10 top 6's in 16 races. ANYBODY who think Ronnie Silk isn't deserving of a ride, whether or not he brings money to the deal, certainly didn't pay attention in 07.

Fkraft99
12-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Amen to that Ted

h.p.
12-18-2007, 10:32 AM
silky is definatly deserving of a good ride,but so is woody.Both guys were able to get it done in 07.As far as the timing for letting pitgate go defi. questable,have spoken both to him,and silky see both point of views....anytime some one is replaced there are hard feelings,but life has shown me when one door closes another one is opened.So to all involved good luck in 08

Camper Lady
12-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Hill's are great people, and I am sure there is a reason behind everything. I wish them the best of luck with there new driver. As far as Woody, he has a great talent and will go far, Woody will not be without a ride for long. The Hill's are great to work with and will help you out if you need anything. Best of Luck to the 79 Team:wave:

jfp711
12-18-2007, 01:37 PM
BLA-BLA-BLA, Camper lady hit the nail on the head, there's always hurt feelings when there is a split. Fact is David wanted to wait until after the awards banquet the let Woody know what he was doing in 2008 but was forced to address it before the banquet, I was a part of pit-gate getting in the 79 ride and think the kid is good and I hate to see it happen but this shi* happens all the time in racing, but for people to bash David is BULLSH**, I did'nt see anybody else stepping up to the plate to put a rookie in thier tour ride with out bringing any money to the table, so for you guy's to bash David, you need to Thank that team for allowing Woody to showcase his talent and not to be a bunch of idiots. IMO Woody did a great job for the Hill's, and anybody that was involved knew that it would be a deal until the end of the year, hopefully somebody will notice what Pit-gate did and put him in their car. As for Silky that kid did an outstanding job on the tour and should run real good with the #79, and what you need to know is Silky is bringing as much $$$$ to the table as Woody..... NONE !!!!!!!!!!

TnLRacing
12-18-2007, 01:55 PM
what you need to know is Silky is bringing as much $$$$ to the table as Woody..... NONE !!!!!!!!!!

Which brings me back to the question is why choose Silk over Pitkat? Pitkat has more wins and more championships, in more divisions that Silk. Im not trying to bash either driver, but I just cant see the reasoning to this switch, if no money is involved.

jfp711
12-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Communication, the way a driver fits in with the team, are just a couple of things that come to mind when any team decides to make change, and I'M NOT SAYING THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE 79, but there are so many different factors in a desision like that. The end result is somebody is happy and somebody is pissed off.

hollywoodmic
12-18-2007, 03:34 PM
In 11 races Woody had 3 top 10's. Not terrible, but not like everyone said when he was getting into this ride. I know there is a learning curve, but I don't think he blew the Hill's away with his performance. I didn't say it was bad but perhaps they expected more he had a 31st, 7th, 10th, and a 17th at Thompson, a 28th, and a 10th at Stafford, as per the message boards he was going to dominate these places, he didn't.

If it's not money perhaps the owner expected a little more return on his investment. That being said I think he will end up in a good ride, because he is just a raw talent and a very personable guy. He knows every aspect of a racecar. I wish him the best, but I don't feel the Hills could've made a better decesion than the one they did putting Ronnie in that car. Let's see what happens, good luck to all involved in 2008.

W. J.
12-18-2007, 04:27 PM
I really don't understand what the problem is here. The car owner decided to switch drivers, which for what the average car owner spends per season should be their unquestioned choice. There is more to racing than just picking a driver who the fans think is the talent for that car. It is afterall, a team, and if the team doesn't 'mesh' then changes are needed. Those paying the bills get to decide when that will happen and on what basis, ie:change the driver, change the crew chief, get a new car, etc. In few cases can you name a team that's had the same driver behind the wheel for the last five years. If they want to change drivers almost as much as they change engines, it's their choice, period.

bucket67
12-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Ted,
Show me where i said Ronnie wasn't deserving of a ride.Both Ronnie and Woody are good drivers.Don't know how this started as me bashing Ronnie..I was only stating what was told to me about the situation.And i was stating my opinion.

Teds Race Tours
12-18-2007, 11:02 PM

Your Comment that Silk is in the Car because of the Money he's able to bring with him suggests that Money was the only issue. You are more than likely a fan of or even a friend of Woody, or at least thats what I get the impression based upon your post. I just think that you could have gotten your Pro Pitkat comments out without what appears to read as a dig to Silk.

If I am wrong, I apologize. The written word can always be open to many interpretations, and my post is based upon what I read and how it appeared to be written.

bucket67
12-19-2007, 06:35 AM
I can see where maybe my wording could be a dig against Silk.But as i said nothing against Silk.I wish him and Woody the best in 2008.

Howie
12-19-2007, 09:51 AM
No Bucket....your wording was all a dig directed at the Hills and they don't deserve it either. Except for Ronnie and Woody both being good and deserving drivers, the information in your posts is all wrong. I am only stating what was told to me about the situation. And I am stating my opinion. I feel you owe the Hills an apology.

RGeeProductions
12-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I have to agree it was a bit hot and heavy on the Hills. It is their team, which gives them the cards to play anyway they want and for whatever reason they want. Voicing ones opinions I totally agree with but throwing accusations out, I don't care for here.

bucket67
12-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Howie,Maybe i was a little hard on the Hill's but i was going by what i was told by Woody himself.I feel 5 minutes before the banquet is wrong.As you're entitled to your opinion so am i.Just to let all know Sandra emailed me with her opinion and i apologized for being hard on them but as stated previously i feel it was wrong to say something 5 minutes before.....To the Hill's i apologize if i was a little harsh with my wording of my post.

stefanikfan
12-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Ronnie Silk's finishes in 2007
3rd
25th
7th
21st
6th
6th
3rd
3rd
20th
25th
6th
12th
2nd
1st
5th
5th

10 top 6's in 16 races. ANYBODY who think Ronnie Silk isn't deserving of a ride, whether or not he brings money to the deal, certainly didn't pay attention in 07.

Amen Pancake bunny!
Ronnie has proven himself time after time in '07! Should be a force to be reckoned with, providing that the "chemistry" work out between driver, crew chief, owner, and team.

Rob,
aka, Stefanikfan:cheers:

MarKim1
12-23-2007, 06:47 PM
I just see a grass is greener situation. I like the Hills but if this relationship fails people will start to wonder! Good luck to both Ronnie and Woody.

The Bullfather
12-23-2007, 08:21 PM
I think the travel to the tracks and also the location of The Hillbilly team hurts them! I think with the location being in N.C. they should stick with the south tour and make a few Northeast shows. Being dedicated for the whole Whelen Series is tough with driver's communication and the team. Most driver's they've had in the past still race a weekly series in Ct. I thought with that situation Pitkat did a heck of a job. I wish all the best for Ronnie and hope the team and him can get the best out of the equipment. I think when they had Flemke Jr. behind the wheel, Eddie had tons of exprience in the modified series. He also knew a lot of the tracks and knew how he wanted the cars set up for the tracks.