PDA

View Full Version : 24 Hours of LeMons is coming to the Northeast

rcp_ny
12-27-2007, 12:34 PM
See http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/events/ which shows them coming to Stafford in CT Aug 23-24. Their events always look like a lot of fun. This one in CT really should have a NEETS team (or 2 or 3 or 4...) entered.

(and I'd really love to be on one of those NEETS teams if one has an opening!:wave:)

310fig8
12-27-2007, 01:58 PM
That looks great !!!!! I loved the way the rules are written. Never saw a rule book like that before.

EnduroFromDE
12-27-2007, 09:43 PM
It cost nearly every team at least $1,000.00 to start the race. You have to win to get your money back, winner gets $1,500...something doesn't seem right there...Last year there were 83 teams... rules states that $500 per car, $100 per driver. All teams need 4-6 drivers. Each team with 1 car and 5 drivers that is $1000 per team. Multiply that by the 83 teams, that is $83,000.00 for each race. Plus any other non-driver, add $75. Not to mention the green coming in through the front gate on and off during those two days. Maybe I'm missing something, but something just doesn't seem right. Don't get me wrong, a real stock car Enduro Lasting 24 hours would be cool, but not with those figures.

RGeeProductions
12-27-2007, 09:48 PM
It cost nearly every team at least $1,000.00 to start the race. You have to win to get your money back, winner gets $1,500...something doesn't seem right there...Last year there were 83 teams... rules states that $500 per car, $100 per driver. All teams need 4-6 drivers. Each team with 1 car and 5 drivers, that is $1000 per team. Multiply that by the 83 teams, that is $83,000.00 for each race. Plus any other non-driver, add $75. Maybe I'm missing something, but something just doesn't seem right. Don't get me wrong, a real stock car Enduro Lasting 24 hours would be cool, but not with those figures.

All your math is right, except, you didn't add other friends, crew, spouses, etc. to the equation...If you win, you get nothing but a trophy in return....mind you, IF YOU WIN!!!!
Only winner is the track and promotor of the series.....

EnduroFromDE
12-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Good thing I had my Handy Dandy Calculator.
Those Promotors are going to need a calculator to count all that green they're adding to their bank account. I know they say it pays for rescue veh., track rental, insurance,etc. I've never rented a track for a day or two, but I can't see it costing 50K to run a track for day. Joe...Erin...Or if anyone knows better, please let me know...

RGeeProductions
12-27-2007, 10:04 PM
And, IT'S ALL CASH!!!!!!!!!!!

richardpetey
12-27-2007, 11:26 PM
The only difference between these Lemons guys and the local promoters is: The LeMons guys laugh in your face before they take your money and the local boys take your money and then they laugh in your face, hehe................:eek:
UNCLE PETEY..................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Erin C
12-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Yeah...it is definitely not that much to rent a track for the day, even 24 hours and adding in an ambulance and fire truck pulling quadruple duty and all track personell. Sounds like someone is making their salary for the year. ;)

This is something I would LOVE to go see, wonder how much the fans pay to watch? :confused: I could make a weekend out of it!

W. J.
12-28-2007, 09:35 AM
So, someone (the promoter of the event) has figured out a way to make big money, or so it seems.
Too few realize the hidden expenses that go into all race events, but if this promoter is making as much as it seems, so what. You want to enter, that's your choice. If you want to stay home, no one is going to show up at your door and force your to go. I have talked to many racers over the years I've been doing this who would gladly race for a trophy. Others would not, and therefore don't show up to race. That's the way a free economy works.
If too many racers, over time, feel this is not to their liking, the event will fold and become the subject of nostalgia talk. "Ah, remember when we used to have fun running the LeMons races....."

Tracy87BB
12-28-2007, 11:15 AM
I was having this conversation with a friend yesterday. His comment was that $1,000 to race a car in an Enduro was insane (1 car + 5 drivers). But it's all in how you look at it. Break it down a bit: you and your buddy want to go run a NEETS race (and let's take the cost of the two cars themselves - as well as travel expenses to get to and from the track - out of the equation entirely). You're each going to drive to the track and pay $25 to get in the pits (total of $50 for the two of you). Then you'll each pay your $50 entry fee (you're at a $150 total). Figure in two transponder rentals (the total is at $170, assuming you both have brackets already). Let's say it's the "Mutha" race...you have a total outlay of $170 to strap in the car for 200 laps.

Now, back to the LeMons...if you have 5 guys, your approximate outlay is going to be $200 per driver. Split your 24 hours five ways, and you each get more than four hours worth of seat time. Plus, you get to say you've done something that most people have never done. That's how they get people to sign up...

Are they making a ton of money? I'm sure they are (they're collecting $400 for the same two guys who would be spending a combined $170 at the Mutha race). But, that's what they're in business for. They're selling you a novelty, and thats what draws people in. But I'd bet a lot of people would be willing to shell out that $200 for the experience...

richardpetey
12-28-2007, 06:58 PM
These LeMons guys are promoting a fixed racing shell game.............:help:
They decide if your car is worth $500, they can pull you outa the race for no better reason than the fans don't like you, come on...............:mad:
Thats why the races are spread out so geographically throughout the contiguous U.S., because if they had two races at the same venue the second race would draw two contestants......................:rolleyes:
If you want 4hrs. seat time I'll let ya drive the round trip next time I race at Riverhead, hehe.........................:applause:
Yes, W.J. and Tracy your right! Different strokes for different folks, but the "Traveling Wilbury Show" don't sound like a show I wanna see at a theater near me.....................:disgusted
UNCLE PETEY....................:wave::wave::wave::wave: :wave:

W. J.
12-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Ah, Uncle Petey, perceptive as ever. Thanks for your brilliant insight on the subject, as always. :applause:

CJfilms
12-28-2007, 07:26 PM
1st off...I have to pick on WJ... Can we find what's wrong in this quote???

You want to enter, that's your choice. If you want to stay home, no one is going to show up at your door and force your to go.

Anyway...here's my input. 24 hours of LeMons does sound pretty cool! From a fan's view, I would definitely go and see it! From a driver's view, I would be a little hesitant...the $1,000 does seem a bit on the high side...but that's not what I am looking at.

Everyone has mentioned cost per driver per hours racing, costs to get in, costs to get friends/family in...but are you all forgetting the most important part...THE CAR!!! Sure $500 to enter, doesn't seem so bad for 24 hours of racing...but what do you need to dump into the car itself to prep it? Safety equipment/clothing?(clothing times 4 to 6, each driver should have their own suit/helmet) Fire/rescue equipment? Roll bars, door bars? PAINT, if you want to look good...and who doesn't?

All these costs aside, you will still need to think about the actual race day; eat, drink and at some point sleep. Can you bring your own food and cook or are you buying the whole time? Are you buying from the track or are you going to a restaurant and spending BIGger bucks? Are you sleeping in your trailer or a tent...are you able to camp...could you sleep with the noise?

Not to mention...I hear it from a lot of enduro drivers already...costs start piling up and they lose interest. Enduro racing is meant to be cheap. Even one race per year like this can end up equalling out to an entire season of enduro racing.

The costs REALLY add up... :*-( I'm sure these events will attract a lot of people, but I can only imagine how much money is actually going to be spent....

From a promoter's view...all I can say is this...CHA CHING!!! Even someone not concerned about making money cannot frown on an event like this... $1,500 to the winner, over $50K coming in...not bad at all! I'd tip my hat to them if I was wearing one...instead I'll just grab at my thinning hairline! :applause:

If anyone is thinking of taking the trip up...maybe we could arrange a NEETS field trip? Send me an email, I'll send out a permission slip you will have to get your parents to sign, and then we're off!!! :D

EnduroFromDE
12-28-2007, 08:03 PM
1st off...I have to pick on WJ... Can we find what's wrong in this quote???

"You want to enter, that's yopur choice. If you want to stay home, no one is going ot show up at your door and force your to go"

:help::help::help::help:

Now, I did failed English Class my Senior year, but I did find the following ...

a) At least Three Fragments
b) At least One Run-On Sentences
c) At least Three Spelling Errors

W. J.
12-28-2007, 08:13 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the quote, but I also made some corrections in your post while I corrected mine, LOL.

Again I say, if this is something someone wants to do, you're considered to be entering it with your eye wide open. Good luck to those who do and have fun.

Tracy87BB
12-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Hey Joe, one expense you forgot...with the way gas prices are these days, how much would it cost you in FUEL to run the car for 24 hours? My pocket hurts just THINKING about it!

A conservative estimate...10 gallons an hour at roughly $3.25 a gallon equals $32.50 an hour. Multiply that by 24 hours, and you're at almost $800 just in fuel.

And let's not forget about tires...I highly doubt that you'll get away with running a single set of tires for 24 hours on that track.

For the novelty of it, though, it sounds pretty neat.

CJfilms
12-29-2007, 07:02 PM
WJ...I was just pointing out spelling errors! Everything else was A-OK! LOL!!!

W. J.
12-29-2007, 07:26 PM
I know, Joe, just pulling your leg, as always. Happy New Year, my friend.

Richie
12-30-2007, 08:02 PM
I didn't see a thing about food. I have to eat at least 12 times in 24hrs or I can't breath.

W. J.
12-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Well, Richie, sounds like it's time to install a snack tray. Just don't mount it on the back of the seat, LOL! :lol:

Sac-Man
12-30-2007, 09:02 PM
I read the Road and Track article and was tempted to try to organize a trip to Flint Rock MI. It is expensive but also I recall they seem to truly make an event out of it. Please read some of the write-ups here before you pass too much judgement.
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/articles/
I am excited that I can now look to CT or OH to participate in one of the events. Hopefully by the end of January I will be able to know if I can financially participate.
I am definitely interested so let me know if anyone else wants in.

richardpetey
12-30-2007, 10:55 PM
With all due respect, Sac-Man, its a P.R. party on wheels....................:(
Did you notice all the different publications that wrote a story on that "so-called race".........................:rolleyes:
The organizer/promoter of the event is dually connected to a racing publishing house and a comedy club....................:eek:
But if you gotta go, Ct. is a closer track(only 3 hours).................;)
Sorry Richie! It doesn't look like with all the entry fees being sucked up by pseudo-racing comedy writers, they'll be any money left for a buffet, hehe........................:disgusted
I will admit, it might be the first time I wouldn't mind being a spectator at a outdoor semi-racing comedy show.................:applause:
UNCLE PETEY.....................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Sac-Man
12-31-2007, 01:53 PM
And don’t get me wrong; I’m seeing through the BS.:rolleyes: I’m looking at it more as a ‘To do’; just so I can say, “I did it!” :applause: And I wouldn’t go if I thought it was impossible for me to win, but I also think it would be a really cool and fun race. :-B Kind of like the pit parties and racing of NEETS past and future. Our cars are ready for this out of the box, so it’s just dealing with the bloated entry and driver fees. :confused: I don’t think any of us go racing purely to be beaten with a burlap bag of nickels. Not to mention that our presentation of a NEETS adorned car could shed some of that PR light on our much more affordable enduro series. :applause:;):applause: