PDA

View Full Version : spec engine

nflobster
12-30-2007, 06:57 AM
I was hoping someone else would bring this up so here it is. I've been told that the cost is around 22k in kit form and 25k together and dynoed. Being that there are only a couple of guys that have run them, I am suprised that there is not a lot of talk about them. I was thinking that changes would have to be made for it to work in a mod. Headers are different, oil pan is different, drive pulleys are different and possibly the motorplate? If the bolt ons are different than i would assume add another 5k onto the price of it. i believe there was one or two of them at the shootout as well as some testing at Stafford. If this is the future of the tour, some public feedback would be nice to know. I'm trying to compare apples to oranges but if it is going to cost me 30k for a crate or spec engine since all the parts come from the same place? Or 35k on a good open motor i dont see the big savings.

holleratme
12-30-2007, 08:22 AM
You get headers-carb-bell housing clutch-motor plate, they just dont know what pcs to give you so they fit, all of this is 26,400 race ready 24,000 kit form. Hope this helps you.

RGeeProductions
12-30-2007, 11:15 AM
I, myself, don't know the specifics about the spec motor, but have a few questions on your statement above. Isn't this spec motor a standard chevy block to start with? If it is, any outside part, motorplate, pulleys, etc. will still be easily bolted on, except the oiling system if it's a different oiling system due to the oil pan. Also, what heads are they using that needs a different type header? This may be a bit different from what the WMT runs but may be closer to the SK layout which would support their reasoning for doing this so more teams can run with WMT more affordably.

Rabbit504
12-30-2007, 11:28 AM
I, myself, don't know the specifics about the spec motor, but have a few questions on your statement above. Isn't this spec motor a standard chevy block to start with? If it is, any outside part, motorplate, pulleys, etc. will still be easily bolted on, except the oiling system if it's a different oiling system due to the oil pan. Also, what heads are they using that needs a different type header? This may be a bit different from what the WMT runs but may be closer to the SK layout which would support their reasoning for doing this so more teams can run with WMT more affordably.

The Spec motor I saw at Stafford in the #2 was an aluminum Block and heads.
Not the standard block used now on the tour.
The headers come with the engine package.
I believe you can find a picture of it in Howie's gallery.

RGeeProductions
12-30-2007, 11:32 AM
OK, got ya. I will do some digging later and see what I can find out about this and post it here.

Precision Auto
12-30-2007, 12:16 PM
The Busch East Spec Motor is based on the Chevy LS1 Engine. Not a single part interchanges with the current 350 Chevy based engine.

I believe a current type engine can be built for nearly the same cost as the spec engine and make similar power.

Norm Case, Precision Automotive, Inc.

RGeeProductions
12-30-2007, 12:37 PM
That's what I am not understanding here on their, NASCAR's, part. If this is an exclusive engine, and as mentioned above, parts will have to be upgraded/changed, where in hell is the savings????
If, as you said Linda, a standard block and head design is used AND can make same HP, then it would be a great benefit to all who want to run the WMT and can't afford it at this time because of a competitive engine costs..

M T Pockets
12-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Right now as I understand it, it would be wiser for someone to buy an 18 degree motor with few laps on it or one at the right price and add 7 or 8K to freshen it. Should be able to get in the position for 18-25K +/-. The kicker is you will have a motor that is rebuildable and rebuildable. The spec motor can not be bored since oversize pistons are not available. That is the major draw back. So while the initial investment may be less with the spec motor, new vs new, it isn't the wisest in the long run. Besides, motor issues have basically been nonexistent to speak of. Time and effort by NASCAR should be spent on fixing the other problems that exist.

Happy New Year!:cheers:

Rabbit504
12-30-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm told that if the spec motor overheats, the heads and block are junk.
That is the word from Busch East teams.

RGeeProductions
12-30-2007, 06:06 PM
I am sure the aluminum spec motor could be re-sleeved but of course that would cost way more than a normal overbore job.
Rabbit, I believe any aluminum block or head overheated warps them, not just this spec motor.

Rabbit504
12-30-2007, 06:47 PM
I am sure the aluminum spec motor could be re-sleeved but of course that would cost way more than a normal overbore job.
Rabbit, I believe any aluminum block or head overheated warps them, not just this spec motor.

Any engine if overheated could warp the heads or block. Cast Iron or aluminum.
But you can deck a block, and plane a head.
I was just told by a Busch East team member the engines are OK but if they overheat throw it away and buy a new one.
Perhaps Norm from Percision knows more.
He may have already worked on these type of engines.

Precision Auto
12-30-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm assuming that this engine is going to be an option in 2008?

I agree with MT Pockets. Good used current engines are always available. Newcomers can go that way and have competitive power at one/half of a new engine. Also.....don't fix something that's not broken.....

Rabbit: I haven't heard of any temp problems.

RGee: Any all aluminium engines don't tolerate overheating nearly as well as cast iron. Resleeving the LS1 engine is commonly done, but it's complicated and runs around $2,000.00, just for the Darton kit and CNC machine work alone.

Crate and spec engines are street type engines put into racing environments; where purpose build race engines are designed to do what we ask of them. Also, the current engine package is very dependable.

Norm...........

holleratme
12-30-2007, 07:13 PM
a mod 18* and a busch east 18* BUILT new would have different cams-rods -crank mod car needs torque,busch car does not need alot,but this spec motor is the same for both,the mod test showed died coming off.watch tell change gear rule for mod spec motor,to get u to use it

Rabbit504
12-30-2007, 07:29 PM
A question I have would be fuel economy with the big carb.
Would you need to refuel at New Hampshire or Martinsville?

Precision Auto
12-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Rabbit: The spec engines would be designed maintaining similar horsepower, so there should be no issue of refueling...........All this is to the best of my knowledge in talking with several people and reps........Norm

M T Pockets
12-30-2007, 09:13 PM
While HP is very close the Spec motor doesn't have the torque of the 18 degree, thus the reason it's lazy. The other is you can't use the same gear with the Spec motor because it's red lined at 7800. Therefore, NASCAR will have to mandate a gear rule for that motor so it look's like a quick change will be the way to go. A lot of ramifications come along with that money savings spec motor that have to be ironed out! :rolleyes:

holleratme
12-30-2007, 09:26 PM
nascar should let guys who run quick changes even with 18* run 10 more points of gear ,maybe 20 for spec.

M T Pockets
12-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Why? Nascar's idea of a race car in all divisions are cookie cutter cars and level playing fields. This whole spec thing just makes havoc out of that plan and leaves a money saving smoke screen behind.:confused:

W. J.
12-30-2007, 10:57 PM
I'm with you M T. Maybe they should change their name to IROCAR. (Yawn!!!) This whole spec engine thing so far sounds like a way for someone (not race teams) to MAKE more money, not save it.

nflobster
12-31-2007, 08:36 AM
it almost seems to me that they just might as well call it a sealed crate motor and if someone appears to have a adventage pull the motor and swap it with another supplied by the supplier (provident). i really dont see a way that they are going to police these things in any fashion that would be acceptable. finish 2nd get 2500 spent 3000 for the weekend (getting there, in, tires, fuel, food) tearing a motor down to see if the parts in it are legit after a race... well as a owner i would have to think hard about it

holleratme
01-01-2008, 09:24 PM
so do u think,teams will have spec motor for 08

nflobster
01-02-2008, 11:04 PM
if it is optional in 08 will it be mandatory soon after:confused::confused: