PDA

View Full Version : Riverhead Raceway starting times

Jeff T
01-12-2008, 11:22 AM
I am curious to see what the general opinion is on an idea that was brought up in last nights Late Model meeting.
It was brought up by some of the competitors that they would like to see the starting times pushed back from 4:30 for heat races to 6:00 for heat races and features starting at 7:30pm. I personally like the idea because many people like myself, now work on Saturdays. If you are one of the people who work until 5pm, more likely than not, you will not bother making the trip to the track since you will miss all of qualifying and some of the features by the time you get there. By starting later, you can still get home from work at your regular time, get changed, and still get to see all of the features and most of the qualifying.
What's your opinion?

LongIslandJam
01-12-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm sort of okay with that. The heat races aren't really races anymore in my opinion. It's more of a over-glorified practice. I would start those at 5 and the features at 7.

The key to the 7 deal is make sure the show runs smoothly so it's a 3 hour or less show. Any later and I feel that may deter crowds.

JMO

BOWATCHER
01-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Keep those early times for those cold spring nights. After Memorial day do the later stuff.JMO

Turbo
01-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Either way, I have sponsors coming from Western Suffok/Nassau that can't make it to see my race, which most likely will be one of the first races to go out! I would like for them to be able to make it to watch me race; after all, they are the one's who are supporting me.

Tower Man
01-12-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm with you on that one Turbo. I have sponsors in Western Suffolk as well and by the time they close shop and get there, my daughter's BB race is over.

The Figure 8 is another story.

latemodel34
01-12-2008, 08:21 PM
What a difference a later start time would have made for my team last year. I work as much as I can, and Saturday is always busy for us. But a later start time would have enabled us to definitely get the car out. How many times? Well I don't know, but it's either work or race, that's the bottom line. Also, I can get crew help from work, so it really hurts to go out so early. I would like to pull in at say 3pm .. it's nice to know that it's possible we will all pit together. We should be able to have an opinion or some sort of voice as to who we pit alongside. I know if I show up with 3 people and another guy has 2, well, we can work together and help each other out. I wish I would have remembered the 2nd meeting. But I'll see you guys at the regular meeting.
One other thing, I think it's a great idea to have an Icebreaker swap meet. At the end of the season, who has the money to go out and buy anything. Plus, we all have some backup cars or even parts we could sell to fund the upcoming season. Former latemodel 34, now who knows, maybe 04 for '08 season. Rob Valone

Jaws
01-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Keep those early times for those cold spring nights. After Memorial day do the later stuff.JMO

Bo you are 100% on the mark. It gets pretty cold late in the night until late May early June.

btgoss
01-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Later start times would be one way to move the show along.

Killing... I mean combining those division that have lower car counts, then your top division would be another way.

But since we are going to have a 24 division show, with the addition of Big Wheel and Wheel Chair races (not combined, except on the third alternating Sundays) , I doubt they could move later than 4:30pm.

(The Wheel Chair division has to make the early bird at the Peconic Bay Diner.)

Seriously, later is always better, but as JA said, keep it to a 3 hour show.