PDA

View Full Version : Parking in the pits!?!?!

Turbo
01-12-2008, 03:52 PM
From what I have been told, the parking is to be grouped together as divisions? Don't think that's such a good idea, what do ya think?

Tower Man
01-12-2008, 04:17 PM
I've kept a low profile here lately, choosing not to comment on anything. But this parking by division is ridiculous.

First off, some teams have had the same spot for 10, 15 even 20 years.

Second, some teams, from different divisions share tools and equipment.

Third, I have two cars in two different divisions. I have one crew, one set of tools, a crew chief with one lung who cannot be running all over the pit area and me, with a bad knee and surgically replaced right foot.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

W. J.
01-12-2008, 04:39 PM
I'd have to agree with you both. Most teams that I've discussed the subject with have their pit stalls where they want to be. I'd say the best way to get teams to come and race is to let them park where they want to, within reason. Joe makes a good point with his situation, and I know he's not the only one with cars in two divisons that share a crew.
I guess what it really comes down to is wait for the meetings and find out. Jim, Mike and the rest of the Riverhead staff will surely be able to answer any questions about it.

Tracy87BB
01-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Tower Man and W.J., I'm sorry that I neglected to clarify for those who weren't at the meeting last night that it is meant to be a general rule, not an absolute one. The officials did state that situations would be taken into consideration when there were reasons for cars from different divisions to be pitted together. Remember that this is something that is being worked on.

But yes, Tower Man, some people have been in the same spot for years. And it may, in fact, get ugly at times when everyone who competes against one another is grouped into a smaller space. The point that was brought up last night was that in cases such as a change in schedule or an addition of a practice, etc., the officials will be able to go to a single area to inform everyone, instead of having to go through the entire pit area. Another point was that, if someone wrecks and is brought off on a tow truck, the tow truck drivers will at least have a general idea of where the pit stall is, eliminating some of the confusion in trying to get cars to their pit stalls.

It will be interesting to see how all of the proposed changes as far as procedure, etc., pan out once the season starts.

Turbo
01-12-2008, 05:27 PM
There have been several different instances where there have been more than one wreck where the cars have to be set on jack stands when they came in. Now if they come in, they are gonna have to put them in their pit stall, otherwise other teams might have to come in and pit while other cars are on jackstands blocking other pit stalls!

I am part of a three car team that have cars in three different divisions, we do not have enough man power and tools to be parked in three different locations of the pits. They mentioned to my father about parking at the end of the late model section and the beginning of the charger section? So what's the difference if there is gonna be a truck in the middle of the section as well!? Might as well leave it the way it was. I have talked to guys who parked in the back (modified teams) who would rather be in the back of the pits rather than the front, so I think it should remain the way it has been.

CIN
01-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Hopefully this "idea" is rethought. From my standpoint having to run for my driver while running in the Blunderbust to one side of the pits, then to have to run somewhere else for the Figure 8 is totally insane. Sorry but at my age I'll need a golf cart to accomplish that task.
And did anyone think of the fact that teams that have different cars in different divisions now have to have two sets of everything, from jacks to impact guns. I thought that we were trying to figure out a way to help teams make racing a little more affordable so that we can then attract more cars.
Sorry but this is a dumb idea.
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the old system. Instead how about getting the PA system working correctly so that announcements can be made and everyone can hear them. That would also make more sense than Mike and Jim driving around the pits to inform teams. How many times are the teams not even near their own pits. And as for the tow truck drivers having a better idea of where to bring the cars, how about making sure that someone from the team whose car is being brought in on the hook shows the tow truck driver where they are pitted? Leave that part up to the teams. If no one shows, your car is then left up front for you to worry about.
JMO
CIN

wayne
01-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Not all of the competitors are friendly with each other in their divisions, it would be a little uncomfortable parking next to a guy that you have problems with on the track. You think the fighting is out of control now!! We all know that there is some bad blood between drivers already.

CSLMOTORSPORTS
01-12-2008, 07:12 PM
I think the parking should be left the way it has always been. Like Wayne says, who wants to be next to the guy that you don't like? Leave the parking alone.
Scott Lehmann.

debbie33
01-12-2008, 10:14 PM
I say leave it the way it is. What happens if you put them by groups and there is a major wreck and the cars involved are all pitted next to each other? The wreckers have no where to dump the cars and it will cause a major problem. If all the speakers in the pits worked correctly, there would be no issues with people not knowing what was going on.

Sam Michaels
01-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Back about 10 or 12 years ago, the head official and the handicapper made a chart of where teams parked. And the driver who was towed stayed with the car. Plus that little guy who drove that blue tow truck seemed to know where everyone parked anyway. What happened to him? If teams were needed for a meeting or a change, they called on the PA or someone got on a golf cart and drove around. The head officials need to fix what happens on the track, not parking. I am not part of a team. Just an old guy who like racing and has been around for a long time.

rydogg97
01-13-2008, 09:15 AM
I think that parking in the pits should be a non issue!!! It's one of the thing that ain't broke so.....!!!!!!!! Leave it alone and worry about real issues!! :disgusted

h.p.
01-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Definitely in agreement with other posts on this issue.......plenty of other "issues" the powers that be should be working on. I don't know if divisional parking is possible anyway, every team has different truck/trailer combinations [length] and the 'heads pit area isn't the size of other tracks where this is done [Thompson, Stafford, etc.] although after talking with some "racers" who gave of their time Friday night to attend meeting, the way in which they were "talked" to/at, you might just see an even more empty pit area than last year!

Tracy87BB
01-13-2008, 11:18 AM
I have spoken with Co-Chief Steward Mike Cappiello this morning, and he has informed me that there will be no drastic change in pit parking for 2008. He and Jim Maggio have discussed the topic, and have agreed to leave the parking situation essentially the same as it has been in previous years.:applause:

rydogg97
01-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Great decision!!! Now on to real issues!!

btgoss
01-13-2008, 06:35 PM
OK. Devil's advocate here...

Parking in groups by division is going to force some people to be more... uh... community minded. It may help to promote a more friendly sense of competition. If you are going to park next to someone, you just may be that less likely to dump him (or her) on the track. Obviously there has to be exceptions made for teams with multiple cars in multiple divisions, but over all, getting all of the teams for a particular division to park next to each other is a great idea. It will be tough at first, but should help make things better over all, at least as far as promoting more community amongst the racers.

(And please don't anyone try to tell me that isn't needed...if this board is any indication of the track, ask for the time and you will get 7 answers.)

dynamite
01-13-2008, 10:28 PM
So then we'll start with Wayne Anderson in the #1 spot, next in 2 spot will be JR, and next to him in the 3 stall will be John Fortin!!!!!

LongIslandJam
01-14-2008, 06:42 AM
Brian,

That was the original intent. Try to force some unity upon the drivers. However, that's a tough task when you got some years of rivalry between drivers.

The idea of divisions together is a good idea on paper, but reality, as many pointed out, the practicality of it causes some problems.

On that note, this thread is closed, and we'll go on from here.