PDA

View Full Version : Racing Heroes...

Precision Auto
01-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Thought I would throw this out there: Four part question:

1. Who is/was your favorite race car driver (past/present/any venue)?
2. Who is/was your favorite car owner...... (past/present/any venue)?
3. Who is/was your favorite racing person involved in the sport.......
(past/present/any venue); i.e. track owner, official, engine builder, etc.
4. What is/was your favorite car (past/present/any venue)?
5. Who is/was the most colorful character you came across in racing?!

Of course, I get to start this thread!:

1. My favorite race car driver: John Force - the ultimate drag racer.
2. My favorite car owner: Bobby Judkins -
3. My favorite racing person: Mary & Howie Hodge and Skip & Lois Matczak
I really wanted to say Norm, but that just seemed too easy!!!
4. My favorite car: Richie Evan's orange 61's
5. Most colorful person: Mike McLaughlin - hands down...

Hope we get a wide range of answers............Linda........:wave:

Precision Auto
01-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Norm wants to follow along:

1. Favorite race car driver: Don Garlits - another drag racing hero
2. Favorite race car owner: The Petty's
3. Favorite person involved in racing: Smokey Yunick
4. Favorite car: The small block, front engine dragster that Norm and his partner built and competed in Top Alcohol Dragster.
5. Most colorful person: John Force

Again, I think Norm was supposed to answer #3: "my wife", but I'll deal with that later!!

chrome horn
01-25-2008, 07:16 PM
1) favorite driver(s): Flemke's and Tony Siscone
2) favorite Owner: Tony Ferrante
3) Favorite Person involved: Sonny Richards
And if you don't mind Linda, I'm gonna add one more
4) Favorite car: Blewett Gremlin

RGeeProductions
01-25-2008, 07:21 PM
1. I would have to say Mike Stefanik. I have had many favorites over the years from Tommy Baldwin, Tony Hirschman, Tom McCann, Darrell Waltrip, YES DARRELL, and a few others. Mike has been the longest so I would say him.

2. Darn hard one. Junior Johnson....I had always been a fan of the infamous Bud cars and although I could care less now about CUP, he is my favorite all timer.

3. If I have to pick just one, I can't. But Linda, I am with you, Howie and Mary Hodge. I have only known Howie & Mary a few years but with The Chrome Horn now I have gotten to know them better and Howie is like my best buddy. These 2 are one of a kind, like you and Norm are also. They are dedicated, caring and just all round great people for the sport and I am truly glad that they are my friends too.

I like Fran's addition!!!!
4. My favorite car was Tom McCann's Dillion chassised modified. It also ran 180 degree crossover headers and a 2 speed powerglide transmission and was super quick, different and inovative at the time it ran.

5. Bozo the Clown. Didn't mention that 5 had to do with racing!!! LOL

Precision Auto
01-25-2008, 07:35 PM
1) favorite driver(s): Flemke's and Tony Siscone
2) favorite Owner: Tony Ferrante
3) Favorite Person involved: Sonny Richards
And if you don't mind Linda, I'm gonna add one more
4) Favorite car: Blewett Gremlin

Fran: I edited the first thread, then added my favorite car and Norm's. Good category.......Linda

Precision Auto
01-25-2008, 08:08 PM
I've added one more question to the thread:

The most colorful person you've come across in racing!!

I did an edit on both my responses and Norm's.........

Have fun................:lol:

KyleMac45
01-25-2008, 08:16 PM
1. Who is/was your favorite race car driver: John Blewett III

2. Who is/was your favorite car owner: Tony Stewart

3. Who is/was your favorite racing person involved in the sport: The Blewetts and my brother& father

4. What is/was your favorite car: any Chevrolet

5. Who is/was the most colorful character you came across in racing: Tony Stewart and John Force

Kyle

Tooner
01-25-2008, 08:31 PM

Gary Balough Dirt, Doug Wolfgang Sprints, Jamie Tomaino Mods, Gil Hearne Mods at Wall.

Pee Wee Griffin, and the story cannot be printed, New Smyrna. Bill Potts and Barney Truex Sr., because they invested alot of time and money in helping me achieve my goals. Wall and Mod Tour.

Jamie Tomaino, I could have thrown a rock to his house, (And there have been times..., well nevermind)

Track Owner: Don Hoenig, The Nichols at Wall

Official, Bill Brice Senior and Junior, Ed Cox, Smiley Waterman and basically all the Tour officials and Tom O'rourke at wall

Stafford, they always came and thanked you for coming at a weekly show, Mr. Pardi and his staff

Engine Builder: You'll never get a better person then Frankie Boardwick, true to his word, and let's you know where you stand, good or bad. And Linda and Norm are OK too :)

Gary Winters 380 Monza

Bugsy Stevens and Lenny Boehler (If you got to know Lenny well, he was a blast, GOD rest his soul)

chrome horn
01-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Most colorful: Bugsy or Steve,Hirschman's tire guy

Groundpounder
01-25-2008, 08:34 PM
1. Favorite Driver: Bugsy Stevens

2. Favorite Car Owner: Ed Cloce - anyone who put a Hemi in a Mod has to get my vote!

3. Favorite person involved in racing: No way in Hades could I pick just one, or even one dozen for that matter, but two that would very definitely have to be on the list are Don & Marilyn Toal.

4. Favorite car: another tough category... toss up between the 3rd Hemi Cuda, the S/360 coach, and the last 9NH coupe. There's probably a few others I'm not thinking of right now that I'd put up at the top of this list too.

5. Most colorful person: That could be Bugsy too, but guys like Rene Charland, Richie Evans, and Tom Baldwin would also be at the top of the list.

CTC Photos
01-25-2008, 08:38 PM
1. Who is/was your favorite race car driver (past/present/any venue)? Tim Richmond
2. Who is/was your favorite car owner...... (past/present/any venue)? Richard Childress3. Who is/was your favorite racing person involved in the sport.......
(past/present/any venue); i.e. track owner, official, engine builder, etc. Too many to pick just one.
4. What is/was your favorite car (past/present/any venue)? The 1982 E. E. Wilsberg #5 driven by "Superman" Greg Sacks
5. Who is/was the most colorful character you came across in racing?! The announcer at Talladega Short Track (dirt) Perry "Voiceman" Holman.

RaceVoice
01-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Geoff Bodine

Art Barry. Always had great talent and beautiful cars.

Wally Saleeba, former Voice of the Speedway at Seekonk.Taught me alot.

My dads 1980 Pro Stock. Red and White Olds Cutlass Salon in 1980. Was on the cover of Stock Car Racing magazine in October 1980.

Listening to Bugsy after the races and at functions.

Sicklajoie
01-26-2008, 09:35 AM
1. Who is/was your favorite race car driver (past/present/any venue)? C.J. Frye
2. Who is/was your favorite car owner...... (past/present/any venue)? Steve "Duzie" Dluzniewski
(past/present/any venue); i.e. track owner, official, engine builder, etc. Wade Gagner
4. What is/was your favorite car (past/present/any venue)? Steve Duzie's yellow #69 street stock
5. Who is/was the most colorful character you came across in racing?! Steve Duzie and Dick Trickle

MOD JUNKIE
01-26-2008, 03:57 PM

1. Who is/was your favorite race car driver (past/present/any venue)? The farmer from woodbury conn. Chick Stockwell, he did some amazing passe's at the low banked 3/8 mile tight racearena [three wide on the outside going into third turn many times] also the Rapid Roman, he is modified royalty.
2. Who is/was your favorite car owner...... (past/present/any venue)? all mod tour owners.
3. Who is/was your favorite racing person involved in the sport.......the JET.
4. What is/was your favorite car (past/present/any venue)? The old coupes w/ bowtie power
5. Who is/was the most colorful character you came across in racing?! Kenny schrader, wish he raced tour modifieds, he comes up with some funny comments.

randomrodder
01-26-2008, 08:27 PM
After having read all the posts so far, I have changed my mind so many times that i have to agree with, all of the above.

I have personal favorites for personal reasons. To pick who I consider the best does disservice to the others but, that's just me. I have enjoyed reading the posts so far and, look forward to reading more.

Howie
01-28-2008, 08:00 PM
These are 5 tough questions. All the years I've been around racing it would be impossible to name just one in any question. I've decided to try and keep it to people/cars that made an impression when I first became interested in racing. They are probably the reason I became interested.

1. Who is/was your favorite race car driver (past/present/any venue)? Ron Narducci, Gene Bergin, Stub Fadden, Dick McCabe, Bobby Santos Sr., Richard Petty. Johnny Parsons, and others.
2. Who is/was your favorite car owner...... (past/present/any venue)? Sharkey Gaudiosi, Jimmy Jorgensen, Beebe Zalinski, Bob Garbarino, Art Barry, where do you stop?
(past/present/any venue); i.e. track owner, official, engine builder, etc. I'll go with the obvious - Mary, and pass on making a long list of others
4. What is/was your favorite car (past/present/any venue)? Buzzie Reutimann's 00 Coupe., Ray Hendrick's 11 Coupe, the Crown 7 driven sprint by Gene Bergin, The M6, Sharkey's 44, Bill Slater's V8, Parker Bohn's 659, and on and on....
5. Who is/was the most colorful character you came across in racing?! Bugsy and Rene Charland come to mind first. (Maybe because I was talking to them this weekend). Another long list could follow here too.

Thanks to all of them for making being involved in racing so much fun all these years.

hollywoodmic
01-29-2008, 10:01 AM
1. Who is /was your favorite racecar driver?? Tom Baldwin, I know obvious pick

2. Favorite Car owner. Patty & Scott Bandzul

3. Favorite person Involved with the sport. I have two, Bob Finan from Riverhead Raceway. I also love Larry Mac, just a regular guy.

4. Favorite Car. Rick Holmberg's #14 in his rookie season at Riverhead is still one of the prettiest cars I've ever seen. I also loved Frank Vigliarolo Jr's Culligan Water #5, circa 1999.

5.Most Colorful. The best stories, great attitude and just a fun loving person who always made me feel welcome and had everyones attention once he showed up on the scene.............Big Bob O'Rourke.

broz
01-29-2008, 12:54 PM
*******WARNING**********
(mine will be somewhat biased :lol:) and.....unfortunately when I was coming up there really was no "Tour", so most of my answers revolve around LI Racing :wave:

1. Who is /was your favorite racecar driver - Junior Ambrose....then some guy named Dale Sr. (was a fan when it wasn't cool to like the man in black)

2. Favorite Car owner - John Ambrose (no one built cars like him, IMHO....HE WAS THE MAN!!!)

3. Favorite person Involved with the sport - Dave Despain, Bruce Sanford Sr. (no bigger fan or regular at The Head)

4. Favorite Car - The ole' 7-11 Coupe! And of course the beautiful Troyer RGee made for us! :applause:

5. Most Colorful - Milton Nielsen and Arnold Volmoeller (sp.?) (remember these two the most from my childhood at the track :lol:)

Modman75
01-31-2008, 04:51 PM
Darrell Waltrip.. an instant fan from the first time I saw him on TV

Carl Pasteryak.... He has tought me as much about life as he did race cars

My wife Barbara... she worked as the scorer for Carl when we met :)

Bert Marvin's 1st Troyer car. 1st car that I was involved in putting together from the begining. Best looking car I ever worked on.

Many come to mind.. besides those mentioned prior, guys like Flyin Brian McCarthy, Jaimie Tomaino and Dave Pratt come to mind. But the most colorful would have to be Carl Pasteryak. Some of the funniest things I have ever heard, were said over his radios:) and in his truck heading down the highway