PDA

View Full Version : Nascar's worse

randomrodder
02-10-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure if this has ever been posted, if so, my apologies. If not, enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Eb3Sf6Kf1I&feature=related

RGeeProductions
02-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Very awesome video. Extremely clear and long.
Thanks for the link!!!!

W. J.
02-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Further proof that restrictor plates aren't the real cause of "The Big One".

Great video, but who won, LOL!

The Bullfather
02-10-2008, 09:15 PM
if you follow by what said in the video, they said the track was completed a year ago, so that would lead me to believe Junior Johnson won the race. if it is the 500. If it's the 400, Jack Smith won, but believe they said Cotton Owens was on pole with Banjo Matthews on the outside. Which would mean Johnson won the race! wheeeeeeeewwwww........:rolleyes:

capitalcity300
02-11-2008, 09:23 AM
The largest crash in NASCAR history took place on Feb.13,1960, just after the start of the Daytona 250-mile Modified -Sportsman race.
Near the conclusion of the opening lap, Dick Foley slid sideways through the fourth turn.
Dick Foley was able to right his path and continue on, but the field stacked up behind him.
Thirty-seven cars became involved and 24 were eliminated.
A dozen cars flipped wildly and eight drivers went to the hospital, none injured seriously.
The wreck halted the race for nearly an hour,and most of the cars were left sitting in the grassy area off the fourth turn.
A total of 73 cars started the race, the largest starting field in Daytona International Speedway history.

1960 February 13, 1960 Daytona 250-mile Modified -Sportsman race
Winner: Marion Farr 1956 Ford $ 250.00 116.610 mph :wave: :cheers:

http://www.answers.com/topic/orbitz-300

Dwight Clock
02-11-2008, 11:48 AM
I believe that Long Islanders Axel Anderson and Jim Hendrickson might have been in the 1960 modified race at Daytona. Also ARDC midget standout Bobby Alberts I know for sure was in it. He told me himself the story of that race when we were making a trip to Nebraska in 1991 to pick up a few vintage street cars to bring back to his home in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. Those old coupes had to have been a handful at 146 mph!

Teds Race Tours
02-11-2008, 10:59 PM
and good seats are still available.

capitalcity300
02-13-2008, 08:40 AM
I believe that Long Islanders Axel Anderson and Jim Hendrickson might have been in the 1960 modified race at Daytona. Also ARDC midget standout Bobby Alberts I know for sure was in it. He told me himself the story of that race when we were making a trip to Nebraska in 1991 to pick up a few vintage street cars to bring back to his home in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. Those old coupes had to have been a handful at 146 mph!

In the book: "The Road to Daytona" by Curtis "Crawfish" Crider, listed drivers James Hendrickson and Bobby Albert was in the February 21, 1959 200- Mile Modified - Sportsman race at Daytona. :cheers:
Winner: Banjo Matthews, Asheville,NC.....1956 Modified Ford :cool:
Finished 15th position: Curtis "Crawfish" Crider, Charleston,SC..1955 Sportsman Ford :cool:
Finished 41st position: James Hendrickson, Marrick,NY.....1939 Modified Ford :cool:
Finished 46th position: Bobby Albert, White Plains,NY......1937 Modified Ford :cool:

Because Curtis "Crawfish" Crider didn't raced or listed the 1960 race in his book. :*-( :angel: :rolleyes:
I don't know if Long Islanders Axel Anderson and Jim Hendrickson or ARDC midget standout Bobby Alberts raced the 1960 Modified - Sportsman race at Daytona. :confused: :rolleyes: :help:
#1. Does anyone have an 1961 Daytona 500 program laying around??? :confused: :help:
#2. Please give us the Start-Finished results for February 13, 1960 Daytona 250-mile Modified - Sportsman race. :confused: :help:

"Racing History is like looking for Gold, finding it in Bits'n'Pieces" :wave: :cheers:

capitalcity300
02-14-2008, 01:41 AM
The largest crash in NASCAR history took place on Feb.13,1960, just after the start of the Daytona 250-mile Modified -Sportsman race.
Near the conclusion of the opening lap, Dick Foley slid sideways through the fourth turn.
Dick Foley was able to right his path and continue on, but the field stacked up behind him.
Thirty-seven cars became involved and 24 were eliminated.
A dozen race cars flipped wildly and eight race drivers went to the hospital, none injured seriously.
The wreck halted the race for nearly an hour,and most of the cars were left sitting in the grassy area off the fourth turn.
A total of 73 cars started the race, the largest starting field in Daytona International Speedway history.

1960 February 13, 1960 Daytona 250-mile Modified -Sportsman race
Winner: Marion Farr 1956 Ford $ 250.00 116.610 mph :wave: :cheers:

http://www.answers.com/topic/orbitz-300

In the book: "Forty Years of Stock Car Racing - The Superspeedway Boom 1959-1964 by Greg Fielden, on page 54, he listed 73 race Modified - Sportsman cars started in the February 13, 1960 250-Mile Modified - Sportsman race at Daytona. :wave: :cheers:

73 race cars started = 90 seconds later = 37 race cars crashed = 12 race cars flipped = 24 race cars out of race = 5 Ambulances came = 8 race drivers went hospital - 4 race drivers released = 4 race drivers admitted = 39 minutes cleanup = 44 race cars were said to have survived the melee.

Some of race drivers that were eliminated: Larry Frank, Speedy Thompson, Ralph Earnhardt, Wendell Scott, Joe Lee Johnson, Hooker Hood, Sonny Palmer and Johnny Roberts.
Race driver Dick Foley's #66 Chevrolet started the worst wreck and finished 10th place!!!
Race driver Larry Frank said "My car flipped once, became airborne and sailed over race driver Earl Moss's #21 race car."
Race driver Speedy Thompson said "It was the worst accident I've ever seen." "It's just a miracle that no one got hurt any worse than they did."
Race driver Stan Kross said "Thank goodness there was no fire."

"A dozen cars flipped wildly and eight drivers went to the hospital, none injured seriously."
(4) race drivers were released: Dick Freeman, Carl Tyler, Stan Kross and Francis Allen.
(4) race drivers were admitted to Halifax Hospital and kept at least overnight: Jack McLaughlin (neck injury), Bill Wark (fractured leg), Billy Rafter (injured lower leg, left elbow and shoulder) and Will Cagle (neck injury).

1960 February 13, 1960 Daytona 250-Mile Modified - Sportsman race.
Winner: "Bubba" Farr of Augusta, GA., an 38 year old lunch room operator drove 1956 Ford Modified with a 430 cubic inch 1958 Lincoln engine and six carburetors at 116.612 mph.
Carl Burris finished 2nd place in a Sportsman Ford.

"Racing History is like looking for Gold, finding it in Bits'n'Pieces" :cheers: