PDA

View Full Version : Calverton ?

J.D.
02-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Anybody heard anything on the Mountain or Racetrack ?:rolleyes:

rydogg97
02-23-2008, 02:08 PM
the only thing anyone has heard is that they found owls at calverton!!!the dec is watching whats going on very carefully!so the mountain is being held up by owls and the racetrack at calverton is all but gone!!so whooo cares what they do!!they do what they want anyway!!!:disgusted

W. J.
02-23-2008, 02:47 PM
I don't know about those pics, rydogg. They're supposed to be short eared owls, not raving-fool owls, lol!

Will the mountain be built? Who knows? Maybe Riverhead Resorts will not be able to get the variance to build a 350 ft high facility, and decide to fill the space with something more interesting, like a racetrack. Only time will tell.

rydogg97
02-23-2008, 10:32 PM
in actuality i dont think they can do it.if they let that happen they have had people submit plans for office buildings so would have to give them the same consideration!!!although with these clowns you never know.

W. J.
02-24-2008, 07:23 AM
although with these clowns you never know.
We know one thing that they've already proven. Whoever gives them an offer with the most money gets what they want.
Some people, who do similar things on the street get arrested for the very same thing. Amazing, LOL!:lol:

btgoss
02-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Well that Cardinale guy made claims that suggest he thinks the owls may be planted. Seriously. If that isn't enough for Riverhead town to call for a special election I really don't know what is....

So until Cardinale can prove that the owls are part of a conspiracy to block the building of the SnowGlobe, things will sit at this point.

I would mention that Leopard Salamanders had been discovered in part of an area that was being developed for Tanger (part of the second or third stage of development). Leopard Salamanders are not very common on LI anymore, so there was some thought that the property would have to be left undeveloped, but of course that didn't happen. As much as conservative politicians and media want to make it seem like "tree huggers" win over developers in cases like this, the reality is not so. We would have to get involved with helping to save these owls in order to generate enough interest. But I think it could work.

"Long Island Race Fans Support Hooters!"

The track can't happen, but we can block that damn SnowGlobe.

SuperShafts
02-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Wow! i see everyone would rather speculate then know...

If you understand how the dec works with animals you would understand how they rule in building within an area that has a animal of interest...

The tiger salamander doesn't venture very far from it's source so it would only remove a 1000' from a project....

But continue on...

Viper Man
02-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Just A question here ,without the bashing or the whining and the finger pointing and all the nonsense that go's on here .Has anyone talked to the track owners of riverhead and made them an offer for the track ,and or talked to them about being the PROMOTers of the track so they get there money and the track gets the TLC thats needed or the drivers have a place to say there peace

rydogg97
02-25-2008, 09:33 AM
the reason i think that no one has made an offer on the track is that they want an obscene amt of money for it.i think that super would know more on financial part.as far as hiring promoter and put money into track the cromartys are older folks and in my opinion probably are getting tired of the grind and dont want to spend the extra to do things or it would have been done already.

art11758
02-25-2008, 10:56 AM
To answer Vipers question, the official word I have heard over and over is the track isn't for sale. As long as that doesn't change, I think things are just what you see.
As far as Calverton, Riverhead Resorts was the winning bidder to develop EPCAL. What will or will not be built there is only in the planning stages. The "big plan" faces some pretty stiff opposition from a group called the "Coalition for open space at EPCAL" among others. I have no idea why they were so late getting in on this, but after attending one of their presentations last week, I can tell you one thing. They are not supporters of motorsports of any kind.

broz
02-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Thank you Art......an intelligent post actually pertaining to the point of this post! :applause:
Honestly, JMHO.....Calverton will NEVER be developed for anything. The "open space" people may have jumped on the right bandwagon :lol:

W. J.
02-25-2008, 12:14 PM
For those who otherwise missed it, here's a letter published in today's Newsday Letters to the Editor, copied from their website:

Make racing legit

Regarding "8 killed as car hits race crowd" [News, Feb. 17], about illegal street racing resulting in the deaths of spectators in Maryland: This problem exists on Long Island. To many motor enthusiasts, there is no answer to the problem and no venue for us to pursue our hobby legally.

Long Island once had National Speedway in Center Moriches and the Westhampton, Bridgehampton, Freeport, Islip and Riverhead raceways for drag racing, oval and road course racing. The rumblings are that the last remaining track on Long Island, Riverhead, will go the way of development because of its high land value.

The Riverhead proposal for a motor sport park was turned down for - of all things - an indoor ski resort. The motor sport park was a viable project that had a lot of support from enthusiasts, but it suffered the usual NIMBYism. In other parts of the country, the tracks flourish with a payoff for everyone: revenue, fun and, above all, safety.

Now, those who want to race have to travel to New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut to use legitimate racetracks. For each of us who travels, there are numerous racers taking it to the street.

We had a real shot at bringing back the Island's racing heritage with a legitimate proposal from a well-respected developer. We ended up with a ski resort that many doubt will ever be built.

Richard LoDuca

Blue Point

art11758
02-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Good find there WJ. We need more folks like Mr. LoDuca on our side.

SuperShafts
02-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Just A question here ,without the bashing or the whining and the finger pointing and all the nonsense that go's on here .Has anyone talked to the track owners of riverhead and made them an offer for the track ,and or talked to them about being the PROMOTers of the track so they get there money and the track gets the TLC thats needed or the drivers have a place to say there peace

I called and asked them if there looking to sell and if they decide to , let me know

I was told not for sale....

as per the rest of your questions.... The town is discriminating against the track and that is the cut and dry of it...

As per epcal....

The only thing there doing is wasting time....if they all take the time to read the contract for the property and all who signed off on it, there is nothing wrong going on..
The owl will get a thorough DEC investigation, taking usually 12 months as with any DEC investigation....of which it will show how and where any changes near it's habitat need to be ammended...i firmly believe the owl especially since not a native of the US won't have a restriction impact...lets say like the tiger salamander...and there impact is 1000' maximum from there source...
The contract for the property states how and what can be used there and as the govt already ruled once in the favor upholding what was written there, they'll rule again...
The owl will just stall a bit, we already know it will not be a mountain unless the FAA has a much different turn around on there end... After speaking with them they i doubt are having any change of heart for anything there needing to be tall...
As for the RR back up plan for there project if they don't put the #1 item, they are not disclosing anything as per even a hint...

We are trying to show them the motorsports light....

All this info can be found on LIMA.

CT is having a similar problem and were trying to help them anyway we can with the street racing situation...making harder laws is not the answer as CT is now finding out also...

Viper Man
02-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey thanx for the answer but I still have one question,ok so they still want to own it and it's not for sale ,what about a real PROMOTER like they have at all the short tracks around the counrty,the owner gets there money the track gets a face lift and the driver and crews have some sort of say or imput at the facility.Its just a question and has this been looked into it seems to work very well at a lot of tracks

Just askin

SuperShafts
02-28-2008, 01:12 PM
1. the town is discriminating against RR *(now rr means riverhead raceway)
2. the town has instituted unfair business acts against RR
3. the town will not allow updating.

When you are ready to fight for riverhead raceway let me know....and i don't mean fight like what i have been experiencing the past 6 years..with a few occasional high points..you're either in it to win or you're wasting time with bs excuses not to get it done and do what's needed.

1st RHTR needs to get rid of cardinale, dumbleavy and blass...yeah yeah i know some RHRT faithful will tell you there looking out for RHRT best interests....
Go grab mrs. amy csorny...she told me what can we do to make RR better....(this was a bs ploy to keep me off her back)
Tell her i said if she wants help rather then us against her again...go see what she can do as per lifting bs clauses off the track...tell her it was her idea, let me see her run with it...all talk

W. J.
02-28-2008, 01:53 PM
As pointed out by Broz, here's a letter from an 'open space' person, printed in Feb 28th's Newday:

Study the impact of Calverton project

Regarding the proposed resort development in Riverhead ["Caught in a flap," News, Feb. 19], undoubtedly the fate of the Enterprise Park at Calverton will have a defining effect on the future of our region. Proposed massive developments threaten an array of natural resources and significant regional ecosystems.

What impact would increased traffic have on our daily commute, our air quality or the peace of those who pay respect to our nation's fallen heroes at Calverton National Cemetery? What level of greenhouse gas emissions will emit from the new urban traffic pattern that will surround the facility?

If the local roads begin to burst at their seams, will the developers attempt to plow a new expressway right through the pine barrens?

Although the Navy's 11-year-old environmental review discusses extremely large amounts of traffic, it states that even with mitigation efforts, traffic problems could result in "poor levels of service and unacceptable operation" on surrounding roads. Clearly, EPCAL development proposals scream for an objective, in-depth, regional environmental review that evaluates their complex array of community planning, infrastructure and environmental consequences.

Jennifer Skilbred, Bridgehampton

Editor's note: The writer is an environmental advocate with the Group for the East End and the Coalition for Open Space at EPCAL.

art11758
02-29-2008, 11:36 AM
For Viper man, the owners are the promoters. They are, I would guess, happy with thier promoting otherwise they would institute some change.

Supershafts, you know the score. How does Pony say it, "cats talk slick because it sounds cool and its free"? If the status quo was unacceptable, we would have support when needed. The fire hasn't gone out yet so all seem to be content warming themselves by it. The wood pile seems a bit low though.

That woman Jennifer Skillbread was one of the speakers I heard. They are well informed and gathering steam. They are also intolerant to any logic or thinking outside thier "box". Any facts raised, whether it was traffic (Grumman had employees didn't they?) noise (Fighter jets must have had mufflers), they seemed to have a answer. Will they stop development at EPCAL? Not likely. After all, they clearly stated that they aren't against development, it just has to be "sensible".
Riiiiiiiiiiight.

W. J.
02-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Yes, but their idea of 'sensible developement' only requires planting more trees. I wonder if someone had stopped the developement of their houses, before they were built, if we all wouldn't be better off today???

SuperShafts
03-01-2008, 08:41 PM
None of the orgs involved at Epcal now stand for anything other then blocking any development.
Talking with them is like talking to a wall....everything that will come to epcal now is bad....

But the 5,000 people in and out of Grumman then and the planes, numerous planes, and the motor testing 24 hours a day was all good....

The govt released the property with terms, and the terms are being followed, to some extent, not with what the majority wants there, but they're being followed somewhat...

I just hope these orgs are spending a lot of money and go broke or are close to broke when they lose...

The owl will not be their feather in the cap.

Funny though how rht rented the 7000' rw to the mp club...discrimination....you better believe it, i prefer to use the term racism

W. J.
03-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Futher developments on the Calverton Owl story from today's Sunday Newsday. Maybe they will call it "Short-eared owl Ski Resort" to placate the environmentalists?

www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-liowls025598617mar02,0,5478701.story

RGeeProductions
03-02-2008, 06:47 PM
MMMM, with 24 hours of testing motors? What year(s) was that? I am 52, lived in Riverhead my whole life, heard the testing from my house always and NEVER was there 24 hours of motor testing...NEVER....

SuperShafts
03-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Lol you never heard them run the motor on the stand till it blew up..which took 24 hours or more then they would disasemble it, on the side of the hanger next to the 7000' runway, see how you don't notice the noise...

The radial engines, the turbine engines...didn't notice it, see and people complain about noise they don't even hear.