PDA

View Full Version : Tony's right and random stuff...

The Bullfather
03-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Tony Stewart hit the nail after today's race! Goodyear is horrible and has been for years. How many races do we have "TIRE" issues? It's not an exciting part of the race, it's ridiculous to place someone life on the line because a tire manufacture can't find or stick with a tire combo! Every form of racing has ditched Goodyear except NASCAR because of the money they place into their pockets to be the only tire in NASCAR. Monopoly? Maybe, but NASCAR has been that way for a long time with fuel sponsorship too. Tony has every right to say what he said and watch NASCAR bring him to the white elephant to talk to him!

Congrats to fellow Gibbs racer Kyle Busch won brought Toyota it first win Cup, the man is on a roll! From trucks to National to Cup... I need to bring this man to play the craps table in Vegas!

Who didn't wrestle the wheel every lap coming out of turn 2 and 4? Tires! Thank God no one got hurt.

rydogg97
03-09-2008, 07:51 PM
ok stewart was right!!yes he was!!now what will nascar do to him for that??kyle was on fire all weekend!!!there is lots of rubber arm going on tonite!

W. J.
03-09-2008, 09:41 PM
:wave::confused::wave:

The Bullfather
03-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Guess someone must have missed the past 5 plus years of Goodyears mistakes in NASCAR and all the trouble they've had at almost every track the past five seasons. Doesn't matter where he finished today, the man is tired of mishandling cars because of tire issues. Almost every Sunday morning before the race begins we hear about issues with Goodyear and compunds they are using.

KickItUp
03-09-2008, 10:25 PM
He touched on the tire issues on Raceday as well, long before today's race, so I am sure he is commenting on the tires in general, for the last few season's, not just today's race only.. It's an ongoing problem, and not just Tony's.. I tend to believe driver's complaint's over what the rep for the tire company says.. They seem to think it's the drivers, not them..

The Bullfather
03-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Many driver have complained, maybe not to extent of Tony has but driver's such as Michael Waltip, Jeff Gordon, Robbie Gordon, Both Busch brothers, Dale Jr. Mark Martin have made comments as has many others. Tony's just more vocal about the subject, which I glad he does and doesn't kiss corp. Nascar to make them happy.

SuperShafts
03-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Gee, I didn't see anyone blow tires and crash into the wall, like so many times in the past. Do you suppose Tony's not getting a Goodyear check or tire test requests anymore? I've gotta wonder what he would have said if he finished 1st instead of only 2nd, LOL! His winning teammate sure didn't have any complaints, nor did Junior, who finished 3rd.
Let's not even get into pavement conditions, track temperature, car/chassis set-up, etc. because we all know that Tony is always right, so it must just be the tires.

I gotta agree.

Atlanta is abrasive for 1... There setting up cars to run against a bump stop...which is a issue involving keeping the splitter off the track and spring set up. Could be it's in the set up, could be a soft compound and that will wear out quickly, but be the better on a abrasive track...
Then the cars weight, temp and everything else mentioned...
Want more grip, ***** for a wider tire, nascar wants speeds down..so i don't think that'll happen.
What are you gonna do, they want iroc races

W. J.
03-09-2008, 10:45 PM
:):wave::)

Ka$h25
03-09-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm willing to bet any driver could find something to complain about with every tire.

randomrodder
03-10-2008, 12:37 AM
NASCAR and it's Corporate sponsors want these cars running on the edge, plain and simple. It's what THEY think brings in the fans. If it looks like there is going to be a car spinning out or losing it evey lap it brings in the "ëxcitement" level. Don't you hear them before every race? Ok guys, lets put on a real good show. The tires keeps it a balancing act, if you drop the ball..........oops. More clips for commercials to draw in new fans.
It's the same thing with driver rivalrey. Bucks is the bottom line. If sliding the back end of a car out every lap makes racing more interesting then every car handling like they should, it will make the difference between some fans returning or not.

Rich Mergl
03-10-2008, 06:55 AM
Many problems in the past with tires were caused by Teams either over or under inflating tires. Some teams don`t have problems. With tire tests with the same compounds on those same tracks with the recommended tire pressures by Goodyear minimal failures occured.
I`m a big Stewart fan but He should stop the crying when things go wrong. And oh get a HAIRCUT maybe.

broz
03-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Sorry guys, you're wrong on this one...
What race did you guys watch? EVERYBODY was loose off turn 2 & 4!

NASCAR had a specific "TIRE" test at this track not long ago. They were concerned enough then about safety to have a test there to get the compund right. All teams who tested were happy with the compound they tested. So what does Goodyear go and do? They bring a different tire to race weekend :confused: SURE, that makes perfect sense :mad:

"On the Edge" is one thing, but when every lap could end someone's career or worse, their life. I would say "Houston we have a problem" :lol:

Tony was spot-on in his post race comments. For years saying anything negative about the "vaunted" Goodyear was like saying something negative about the mob. You just didn't do it:disgusted

Also loved how this first tire competitor he mentioned was Hoosier :applause:

SuperShafts
03-10-2008, 01:45 PM
The track is like rough sand paper...there also using truck arms for rear suspension... Lots of reasons those cars were loose

They update the body, but leave the prehistoric suspension...

They test the tire so they don't have blow outs with the camber set ups or other tire failures..apparently that was a good test since that was right..

Rich Mergl
03-10-2008, 04:10 PM
And crew chief Chad Knaus aimed the blame for Sunday's uncompetitive effort at a different target.

"You know, I think that's where everybody's wrong. It's not the tire, it's the car," Knaus said. "It's just the car. The car asks too much out of the tire. There's only five things that hold the car on the racetrack: That's the four tires and the downforce.

"The car has no downforce and Goodyear has to build an extremely hard tire just to make the tire live because there's no downforce on the car. That makes everybody bad-mouth Goodyear and it's just not fair to them, because Goodyear actually does a very good job."

The Bullfather
03-10-2008, 04:25 PM
awwww Chad Knaus crying again when his driver isn't up front, wait another week before he gets caught cheating "AGAIN"! He always does, then Jimmie goes on another tear. I did notice Jeff has some problems too, but Dale Jr. hasn't so far! The man was suspensed for part of the season last year and still got to stand at the podium at season's end. There should be a 3 strike rule and your out for a season. Not claiming he's cheating this season, but he's been caught many times in the past.

randomrodder
03-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Gee Chad, I though I heard most every other driver say they loved the new car. Once they got used to it, LOL. Just makes for more of a driver then a car race.

Rich Mergl
03-10-2008, 04:49 PM
We went from a tire opinion to cheating
Stewart is by far my favorite driver. He himself has wrecked more cars then god knows who (MAYBE SR). He is a very aggressive driver who cannot deal with adversity when things go wrong. Like Kyle Busch said " WE HAVE A BAD CAR AND SO DO ALL THE OTHER DRIVERS" deal with it and do the best you can. STEWART *****ES ALL THE TIME WHEN HE CANT WIN. Tires or downforce, drive what you got and shut up. Remember 5TH place every race will give you a CHAMPIONSHIP.

The Bullfather
03-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Rich I thought the only time Kyle complained was when he won the first COT race. I know he mentioned a week or so after that on Speed, but after that I haven't heard much. I just mentioned Chad a cheating because you brought him up. I just thought it was quirky for him to complain about it, I thought he always found a way to make things better. lol j/k

Rich Mergl
03-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Only brought him up as his opinion on the cars handling problems.
Now to cheating. How about our Govenor Spitzer.
Hey they all tweek things to the best of there ability or they wouldn`t be crew chiefs.
Thats what they get paid to do. CHEAT AND DON`T GET CAUGHT
Tires? test ,test,test. At what temperature? 75 in Atlanta the race goes of at 50 degrees.
California 75, Vega`s 75. Race goes off at 50 degrees damp and snotty.
Throw all the tests out the window. They are the top 43 drivers and crew chiefs in the Country. Make the best of what you have thats what they get paid to do.
They are all on the same plateau. The winners are always happy ,the losers are always pissed off and have something to compain about. TONY take the teething ring out of your mouth. Grow up and face adversity like a man.
And for some reason he is still my favorite driver!?

Hollywood
03-10-2008, 08:12 PM
LET 'EM SOAK THE TIRES! LOL JMO LOL

The Bullfather
03-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Naw I hear, but with technology today which MAYBE the biggest problem you'd think they would have better compounds for these tracks. Tony just venting because he had to steer a car like it was on ice every lap. I think we like Tony because he's not afraid to speak his mind. He's not afraid to get in trouble because of what he thinks. It kinda of a throw back, he still races hard like he'd fit 30-40 years ago. Tires blow apart in the 80's and ealry 90's but it just seems to be a bigger problem the past 5 years every track they go too. They had tiregate with Hooisers and Goodyear back then, but seemed to faze out pretty fast on the main stage. I don't think tire issue should be as big of problem as it is, it just shouldn't be with all the testing. It seems that a lot of times it's the compound they use when making the tires in production.

W. J.
03-10-2008, 08:38 PM
:mad::applause::wave:

jeffrey
03-11-2008, 07:08 PM
well i dont know why so many people watch this garbage.if you all think this is raceing.then you all know nothing about raceing.the car is just junk.the car of today or yesterday what ever you want to call it.tony has aright to cry about the tires.none of those other cry babies will say anything.and his own car owner doesn't even stick up for him.well he should of not said anything.should of talked about it behind closed doors.but you know tony.tony do your self a favor go back to spint car driveing.its much better then the garbage your driven now.you cant even watch the race any more.the race is so boring.that they always have to throw a mysterious yellow for debris.and it always comes out right before there pit stop.ok guys the race is boring throw a yellow debris in turn two.did anyone see it and can someone tell me what it was please.so come on guys stop watchen this garbageand come out on saturday nights to riverhead and watch some real drivers and some good raceing.

W. J.
03-12-2008, 08:02 PM
:mad::wave::)

RGeeProductions
03-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Well he didn't answer but I remember tiregate. Maybe wasn't called that but could have been......Hoosier vs Goodyear Cup Wars.....

The Bullfather
03-12-2008, 08:29 PM
I never knew I had to explain a joke before! Tiregate was a refrenece, thanks Richie for explaining it to thoses who didn't understand. If you didn't get, now you do!

randomrodder
03-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Goodyear forced Hoosier out by coming up with so many different compounds for various tracks that Hoosier couldn't afford to stay in the game. Big corporate money forced the little guy out, again.

randomrodder
03-12-2008, 10:11 PM
Gee WJ I should know better then to question one with such knowledge of all things pertaining to auto racing. :wave:

broz
03-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Well, getting back "on topic"...
Goodyear has announced that it will be sending a different compound to Texas. Their original plan was to use the same compound used in Atlanta.
Seems to me, maybe Tony made his point? Contrary to what some may have thought :applause:
Maybe we are seeing the beginning of another "Tiregate" :confused:

randomrodder
03-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Introducing another tire company into the Cup series sure would liven up the action I would think. One more thing to help things become interesting again.
I kind of like the idea myself. And, it is part and parcel of our capitalistic society, it's called competition and that's what racing is all about, isn't it?

hollywoodmic
03-13-2008, 04:07 PM
The race was terrible. Let's get a couple of points out here, let me start by saying I am not a big Tony Stewart fan, but I couldn't agree more with him. Kenny Wallace said after the race, " this wasn't a race, these guys were scared to pass each other because the cars were so out of control" the proof of that Jr. had 17 cars a lap down 25 laps in. The tire was junk.
Tony's problem with Goodyear started the week before when he wrecked, HARD. Wrecks and flats happen, his problem was that Goodyear blamed his team for the flat saying it was a camber issue. In Stewart's defense they had already run 3 sets that came off the car perfect. No abnormal wear at all. You can't changed the camber in the middle of the race, and the right front and the tire were gone so how did Goodyear make that determination, they had nothing to go by. That's why he was pissed to begin with, then he wasn't happy with this tire.
Jeff Gordon said it was the, "most white knuckle racing he has ever done". Jr. said to Bobby Dilner that Goodyear needs to pick up their game and the tire just wasn't good enough.
Teams spend so much to test, if you give them a tire that they adapted to in a test, and they were happy, give it back to them for the race..........if it's junk then Goodyear can say this is the tire you guys wanted. Goodyear actually changed the tire the week before the race. They need some competition to make them better.

The Bullfather
03-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Teams spend so much to test, if you give them a tire that they adapted to in a test, and they were happy, give it back to them for the race..........if it's junk then Goodyear can say this is the tire you guys wanted. Goodyear actually changed the tire the week before the race. They need some competition to make them better.

Couldn't agree more, it almost a joke to tire test when Goodyear pulls the tires the weekend of an event. This has happened "a lot" in the past few years. If there is a problem thrus-friday with tires in practice and qualfying, I can understand them changing the compound. But most times that is not the case! Seems sometimes when there is problem, they still race them on Sunday, wonder why???? IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT BOYS IN THE OFFICE!

randomrodder
03-13-2008, 07:41 PM
I don't know Pete, maybe it is for Nascar? Before COT don't you remember all the plate races where the announcers were always saying, here comes the big one! It was like, that's all that was worth watching the race for. The big one's gonna happen, here it comes! Whew, I can't believe they didn't all pile up. It's coming, just wait and see. Here it is, coming out of turn 4...........

That's racing Cup style. Now of course they have the safer walls, Hans devices, padding between the body skin and side bars, more head and shoulder restraints, etc. Thankfully this saves lives and limbs but it also helps make for a cool game of bumper cars at times.

NFL players got a lot tougher when they got better safety equipment, made then go the extra mile. False sense of security can make people do dumb things.

The Bullfather
03-13-2008, 07:48 PM
ummmm pretty soon the cars with be wearing sumo suits like thoses at the fair. lol It's pretty much become a bumper car.

The Bullfather
03-14-2008, 05:52 AM
Being reported that Firestone is not interested in NASCAR! HMMMMM Why wouldn't they? I understand for the point of time and money. Time to get ready to have tires ready for a "said time". Money in testing and production. But as a company they would still bite to be part of the biggest national racing organzation. But wouldn't you think they pour resources of time and money to get into NASCAR! I think they would.

rydogg97
03-14-2008, 08:56 AM
this is purely hypothetical:what if with all the talk that the goodyear tire is no good,goodyear hears enough and decides not to bring tires to a race weekend?where would that leave nascar?it would be tough or probably impossible for another co. to come in with enough tires needed!!could it or would it happen?dont know. what do you think?

broz
03-14-2008, 09:10 AM
I know they bring close to 5000 tires to Texas for the Spring race. Good point rydogg :) Don't know if there is comapny out there that has many "CUP-Ready" tires just laying around :confused:

The Bullfather
03-14-2008, 02:11 PM
If ethier Hoosier or Firestone or another company ever came into NASCAR, they would have to give them atleast one year before debut. One due to product safety and testing, two production #'s and to make potential buyers with teams. It would never happen over night.

randomrodder
03-14-2008, 03:44 PM
this is purely hypothetical:what if with all the talk that the goodyear tire is no good,goodyear hears enough and decides not to bring tires to a race weekend?where would that leave nascar?it would be tough or probably impossible for another co. to come in with enough tires needed!!could it or would it happen?dont know. what do you think?

Doesn't that there just say just how much NASCAR has put itself into a percarious situation?

Rich Mergl
03-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Goodyear and NASCAR: The Chicken or The Egg?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Matt McLaughlin
Published: March 13th, 2008Athlon Sports Contributor
Adjust font size

Last weekend’s Atlanta race wasn’t just dull, it was atrocious. While in some people’s minds the big story was Toyota scoring its first Cup win, the post-race talk wasn’t about Camrys, it was about Goodyears.

You might think that having finished second to a teammate, Tony Stewart would have emerged from his car grinning ear to ear. You might have thought that if you didn’t know Stewart, that is.

Rarely one to shy away from controversy and, in fact, one who frequently instigates it, Stewart emerged from the 20 car and gave the Goodyear Tire and Rubber company a corporate ***-chewing unparalleled in the history of stock car racing. Sure, other drivers have *****ed about the tires before — it happens all the time — but Stewart raised the debate from merely caustic to nuclear, calling on Goodyear to show a little pride and get out of the sport all together. While other drivers were more politically correct in their comments and tone concerning the tires, they agreed that the tires just weren’t suited to the new cars and the track that day which led to a miserable race both for competitors and spectators alike.

I’ve talked to some fans who think the drivers need to shut up and do what they get paid to do… race. They point out that the racing resembled “the good old days” in that the cars were sliding around like enthusiastic Golden Retriever puppies hitting a freshly waxed linoleum floor. That meant the drivers actually had to get up on the wheel and drive the cars rather than just steering it around the racetrack. As a long time fan who remembers the epic battles between Tim Richmond and Dale Earnhardt running hard, wide and handsome while dirt-tracking every corner, I feel some sympathy towards the argument the drivers need to race rather than cruise. But Good Golly, Ms. Molly, Atlanta was nothing like the good old days. The trick to drivers piloting loose racecars is to have them do so in proximity to one another, not separated by several second gaps as they strain to keep from wrecking each lap. I’ve been to pinewood derbies with more drama than the Atlanta race. Whichever driver got out in front enjoyed the benefit of clean air on the nose of his car and could drive away to a five-second lead in 10 laps.

So what went wrong? Did Goodyear bring an inferior product to Atlanta that stunk up the show, or does the new car (once labeled the Car of Tomorrow) require a tire so hard that the only side-by-side action we’ll be seeing this year is on pit road and the plate tracks?

Certainly the teams are still trying to sort out these butt-ugly standardized abominations of racecars NASCAR has foisted on them. To date it seems the only way to get the new cars to handle is to put a big old right rear spring out back and to run the front suspension in “coil bind.” (To whit; to keep the front splitter on the ground and glue the front wheels to the track, teams use a shock/spring package that allows the front suspension to collapse to the point that there is effectively no front suspension left.) The new setup is so tough on a car that we’ve even seen control arms bend or break on the rougher tracks. And of course anytime a car isn’t handling, there always a temptation to lower the air pressure or dial in some more right side camber. A set up like that is brutal on tires — particularly the right front. Naturally, Goodyear isn’t eager to have fans who are potential customers witness a race where right front tires are popping like Orville Redenbacher’s finest, so it is bringing a tire so hard Fred Flinstone would reject it for use on his daily commute to the quarry.

Several people smarter than me (who incidentally get paid a lot more than I do as a result) on the teams have told me that the new car design, flawed as it is, could be saved if NASCAR would simply allow the teams to extend the nose out a few more inches to get more downforce on the front of the cars. That would allow the teams to go back to more conventional front suspension setups that would, in turn, reduce the load on the right side tires. At least in theory that would allow the drivers to run their cars two- and three-wide without risking an incident like the one at Las Vegas that saw Jeff Gordon slide up the track into Matt Kenseth, triggering a final lap accident. (So for all the talk about how the innovative safety features incorporated in the new car helped save Gordon injury in that savage crash, it just might be that the same new car was responsible for the crash happening in the first place.)

Right now NASCAR and Goodyear are nose to nose and neither will blink. NASCAR won’t scrap the Car of Tomorrow program — or even modify it — and as long as the new car design is so tough on tires, Goodyear isn’t about to bring a softer compound to the track. Stewart might have mentioned the new cars’ fault in Sunday’s disaster but he found out last year that NASCAR doesn’t respond well to criticism.

So right now that’s where we’re at. NASCAR won’t admit the new car is a bad idea and Goodyear isn’t going to bring a racier tire to the track until they’re sure it can hold up to the stresses of the news cars. Perhaps eventually the teams (NASCAR always prefers the teams spend the money to solve a problem as opposed to the cost come out of its corporate coffers) will find a new suspension setup for the cars that allows them to handle in race conditions without brutalizing the tires.

Until then, we as fans are likely to be subjected to a lot more stupefying, brutally boring parades poses as races. If you thought Atlanta was bad, just wait until the series reaches Darlington in May.

randomrodder
03-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Hmm...no answer, guess it never really happened.

Check your back issues of Stock Car Racing magazines dating back to the mid-70s to about 79 or so.

SuperShafts
03-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Put more wing in...ooops then you'll lose speed down the straight and people like Busch will have you umpteen laps down..cause you don't want to drive it on the edge..
Sucks to be a driver, that's the sport.
I didn't see tires poppin like a room full of balloons with 5 10yr old boys in it with a pin each.....then there wasn't a problem.
If you can give me a tire i can bury into a corner with no fear of it popping, im ready for anything else after that

The Bullfather
03-15-2008, 03:39 PM
yeah 200 mph at a testing at Darlington! Slow em down heh? They did repave the track, which helped pick up the speeds.

SuperShafts
03-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Guess what would have happened had they repaved atlanta...then tony might not have been so upset..

The Bullfather
03-15-2008, 11:09 PM
It wasn't only Tony, Tony was just the one more vocal one! It seems whatever he says gets media on him, because he's not afraid to say it! But other drivers and commentaries thought the same thing. But because of "who" they were, it didn't get as much press.

Hey was going to stop by the shop the other day, also ran into Eddie tonight, wish he was still on Riverhead townboard with Wooten and Buckley! The cards weren't right for that to ever happen. Eddie said to keep plugging away.

SuperShafts
03-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Either way whoever said it doesn't matter....the issue would have been different without a abrasive track...repave atlanta and i would bet tony wouldn't have been talking about goodyear had the track been smooth rather then abrasive.

Then again if they weren't racing panel trucks it might not be an issue, then if they were allowed certain adjustments that might have helped also, then again if nascar went back to nascar it would be another issue for them to be better..

We are working on a better deal...which i feel should be better then the last 3 we tried for..

Rich Mergl
03-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Now my favorite driver will be complaining about BAD OLD TIRES.