PDA

View Full Version : IROC Closing Hits Bayshore Employees

Tooner
03-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Walter Elliott March 11
Wall Speedway Recap:
IROC Closing Hits Bayshore Employees
By Walter Elliott

TINTON FALLS, N.J. -- Employees with Bayshore and Wall Township Speedway ties are among the International Race of Champions workers who are turning their 35-year-old racing "All Star" series into a memory here last weekend. Charles Rogers, of Middletown, and former Keyporter Bobby Thomas helped IROC President Jay Signore and auctioneer Stephan J. Miranti liquidate the company's headquarters Friday and Saturday.
They were putting 13 Pontiac Firebird stock cars, parts, tools, machinery, supplies and memorabilia on the block. Some of the 400 spectators who began bidding Friday morning helped buy the 13 Firebirds. While cars plus a spray paint booth and some of the larger tools and machines were among the first lots to go, they remained in the shop mid- Saturday afternoon awaiting their new owners' pick up.
Rogers, Thomas and J. Signore usually stayed away from the showroom-turned auction floor while Miranti's crew put driver apparrel and die cast cars on the block. They would occasionally appear to answer a question or help move a lot but they did more of that work in the parts departments and other back rooms.
They and other workers were hoping that most of the industrial park building's contents sold by day's end. Shelving, office equipment and most anything else remaining are to go under the gavel 10 a.m. Saturday.
Once the auction has emptied the 20,000 square-foot building Saturday, Rogers, Thomas and the Signores will leave 45 Park Road with IROC's legal documents. IROC, which brought some of the world's best racers to compete each other in identically-prepared cars, will then cease to exist.
"It gets hard," said Signore, of Pt. Pleasant, while turning away from a GM V8 engine being moved to the loading dock. "Barbara and I will keep the papers and take things one day at a time. I believe that three doors open when one closes. IROC may be back one day."
Signore moved IROC here from Reading Pa., in 1984. The shop was where most of the cars' preparation was done along with securing drivers and contracting sponsorship. Signore then called on Miranti, of Eatontown, to run the auction to defray the cost of keeping everyone employed the last year.
IROC had the likes of five-time champion Mark Martin, Dale Earnhardt Sr., and Jr., Indy car star Helio Castroneves, Tony Stewart and sprint car king Steve Kinser aboard their cars for 30 of those 35 years. The late Mark Donohue, of Summit, won IROC I in 1974.
Martin Truex, Jr. of Stafford Twp., won the last IROC race at Atlanta Motor Speedway Oct. 29, 2006. Truex, who won several Wall NASCAR Whelen All American Series modified races, was invited as defending NASCAR Busch Series Champion. Crown Royal then ended its three-year series contract, causing the Signores to cancel the 2007 IROC series and eventually close shop last October.
"We've had a number of mechanics and technicians come from New Jersey and from racing experiences from Wall, New Egypt or Flemington," said Signore, who attended WTS as a teenager. "Some of them have already moved south and some have decided to stay in New Jersey."
Signore gave former Keyport resident Ray Evernham as an example of employees who have done well. "Hollywood" was still racing stock cars at Wall and Flemington when he was hired as a mechanic in the early 1980s. Evernham left IROC as shop manager, becoming a champion crew chief for Jeff Gordon and running his own NASCAR Sprint Cup Dodge team.
"I think I've a skill set from working here that can get me a job almost anywhere," said Rogers. "We may have a job title but we did a number of things to keep the series running. The company owns all its own tools that would be hard to replace." Rogers, who is Middletown's Emergency Management Coordinator, said he first went to Wall as a fan and worked on several modified stock cars. He agreed with Signore and Thomas that they would not have seen places and races if not for IROC. "Racing gets in your blood," said Rogers.
"When IROC first went to Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Jay offered each of us to drive an IROC car three laps there. I called my wife after my turn and told her I just drove on The Brickyard." Thomas, now of Eatontown, also shared some mixed emotions about IROC's closing. "I spent so much time in this spray booth," said Thomas. "The booth and its ventilation system was valued at $60,000. It was just sold for $5,500." Thomas has assisted son Carl's efforts in Wall's RMP Modified Affordable Division last year.