PDA

View Full Version : Racing Show At Phillipsburg Mall

enduroracer131
03-13-2008, 10:23 AM
I should have posted this last week but I have been so busy and didnt even think about it. There is a race car show at Phillipsburg Mall in Lopatcong/Pohatcong NJ in Warren county. It started this past sunday and goes until this Saturday. There are over 60 race cars spread through out the mall. Here is the write up from the paper.

By CHUCK GIVLER
The Express-Times
LOPATCONG TWP. | It's as much a celebration of the area's rich stock-car racing history as it is a race car and driver show.

The IRCO Community Federal Credit Union's Dirt Track Heroes Race Car Show kicked off a weeklong run Sunday at the Phillipsburg Mall.

The free expo includes more than 60 race cars of several vintages from the 1950s to the present, appearances by drivers past and current and a variety of race-related activities.

The focus of the show is the bygone era of dirt stock-car racing in the region.

That's when the old fairgrounds tracks at Nazareth and Flemington, and later the Nazareth mile-plus Big Track and Harmony Speedway, made the area a hotbed for dirt modified stock-car racing.

Mall Marketing Director Pam Richetta, who's been involved in racing, said the show for one week brings back a time when stock car racing was king in the area.

"It just seemed like such a great idea because racing was so big around here for so long," Richetta said. "The show really has a lot for everyone."

It will be a stroll down Memory Lane for folks who lived through the golden age of modified racing here, often attending Saturday night races at Flemington and Sunday nights at Nazareth.

There also promises to be lots to see for the uninitiated.

The mall will be filled with restored and current model race cars.

Opening day Sunday was dedicated to driving legends who made Nazareth, Flemington and Harmony popular. Dozens of drivers were on hand to meet fans, sign autographs and swap stories.

Show organizer Bob Miller of Langhorne said some of the drivers expected are Carl "Fuzzy" Van Horn, 83-year-old legend Frankie Schneider, Tommy Hager, Sammy Beavers, Carl Collis, Del Buss and Jack and Tom Zeiner.

A highlight on display will be the restored No. 30 NASCAR Winston Cup car that Tighe Scott of Pen Argyl drove in the 1979 Daytona 500. That race won by Richard Petty is credited with putting NASCAR on the national map.

Richetta said the show is not a racing flea market or collectibles bazaar. She said teams may sell T-shirts related to their organizations only.

Show hours are the same as for mall shopping. It runs from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. the rest of the week. Nightly special events are scheduled starting at 7.

THURSDAY:

Thunder on the Hill/Grandview Speedway Night: 7 to 8:30 p.m., with Reading Fairgrounds Historical Society.

FRIDAY:

Harmony Speedway Historical Night: 7 to 8:30 p.m.

SATURDAY:

Flemington Fair Speedway with Ron Bailey: 2 to 3 p.m., with discussion on how to restore a race car.

Tracy57
03-14-2008, 07:41 AM
A customer told me about this. Larry and I went last night. It was pretty cool. We talked to few drivers and exchanged ideas. There were a lot of sprint cars, late models, but no enduro cars :(

Hope to see some of you tomorrow at Mountain. I'll be racing the #57 car again, Larry isn't finished with his car yet though.

Take Care
Tracy