PDA

View Full Version : S.A.F.E.R. Hall of Fame Candidates

Tower Man
03-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Bill Steen - for all the years he raced and a Championship

Bobby Mason - for all the drivers he has helped and he was one tough competitor.

Dan Jivanelli for his 2 Championships at Riverhead.

Just a thought...any others?

Wheel Racing
03-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Nothing against Jivanelli, but the HOF without Billy and Bobby would be a sin, besides I always thought of SAFER as an Islip thing until there wasn't a choice.JMO

The Bullfather
03-13-2008, 10:30 PM
The Dean would be awesome, but not sure if many know of him up north. But I can tell you this, you place him in a room with any of the past HOFers and he'd fit in like a glove!

Some names who belong on the list:
Maynard Troyer
Jerry Cook
Geoff Bodine
Dutch Hoag
Ray Hendrick
Jim Hendrickson
Al DeAngelo
Fred Harbach
Jim Shampine
Gil Hearne
George Kent
Wayne Anderson
Jimmy Spencer
Bill France Sr.
Roger Treichler

Wheel Racing
03-13-2008, 10:33 PM
The Dean would be awesome, but not sure if many know of him up north. But I can tell you this, you place him in a room with any of the past HOFers and he'd fit in like a glove!

Some names who belong on the list:
Maynard Troyer
Jerry Cook
Geoff Bodine
Dutch Hoag
Ray Hendrick
Jim Hendrickson
Al DeAngelo
Fred Harbach
Jim Shampine
Gil Hearne
George Kent
Wayne Anderson
Jimmy Spencer
Bill France Sr.
Roger Treichler

Pete,what's up with the modified list.This is SAFER buddy. Long Island Fig 8 legends

W. J.
03-13-2008, 10:44 PM
LOL!!!:lol::lol:

The Bullfather
03-13-2008, 10:57 PM
It's ok, we all make mistakes. I posted it in the wrong post and got crossed with the N.E.A.R. HOF. No biggie!

I'll bite though and add a name:
Even though Roger is not a member his father The Wrench Ernie should be! Still got to show respect to the past.

By the way if you look over at chromehorn n.e.ar. post, you'll see I posted about the same time.

Wheel Racing
03-13-2008, 11:22 PM
it's all good

Tower Man
03-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Wheel, S.A.F.E.R.'s name is actual The Suffolk Association of Figure Eight Racing of Long Island. There are a couple of HOF members that were not a part of Islip Speedway, Ronnie & Mary Ann Sprague and Don Howe.

Dan Jivanelli was the 1972 & 1973 Riverhead Raceway Figure 8 Champion. I agree, "The Dean" should be an automatic, but they usually elect 3 members per year, so we can include him and two others.

The Bullfather continues to amaze me with his shoot from the hip, I know a little bit and I'm going to prove that, style. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. But as the Wheel said this is SAFER...Long Island Figure 8 Legends.
Oh...btw...the actual Hall is Fame name is, The S.A.F.E.R., Ernie Maynor Figure 8 Hall of Fame.

leah28racing
03-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Bill very well deserves this award. Hope he gets this. It would mean alot to me

The Bullfather
03-14-2008, 02:21 PM
If you looked Joe, you would have saw I made a mistake between two different posts and noted so! Not shooting from the hip! Ernie Maynor name is not listed on your site as being in the Hall list. I looked at the names between 1988 to present. Most Hall of fames would have also inducted or listed the name of which the Hall is named? It is an honor to name it after him, I respect that. But shouldn't his name be listed as being a memebr in the hall not just named after him? I didn't see his name listed and didn't know S.A.F.E.R. named it's awarding Hall after him. It's not ignornace of not looking into who is in and who isn't. I do put time and research into a lot of the work. We all learn along the way.

But Bill Steen has to be a shoe!

W. J.
03-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Only one comment here: follow this link and judge for yourself.

www.safer8.com

The Bullfather
03-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Judge for yourself??? I explained myself! For someone who doesn't have time to argue, sure seems like you do! For thoses who like to judge, please go to the Hall of Fame list and look at the thoses in the Hall! I don't see why someone would bring this up as an arguement!

Tower Man
03-14-2008, 05:46 PM
No arguement here. Just stating fact. Should Ernie Maynor be in the Hall of Fame named for his honor? Maybe so, not my decision. I'm just a member. I also was just a member when the Hall of Fame was formed.

There are many members in the Hall of Fame. But there are still some, in my opinion that are not and should be.

Now let's get back to the original post...any other candidates? The meeting is Tuesday and the candidates will be voted on then.

An Observer
03-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Bobby "Racin," Mason for his tenaciousness and committment to the sport. Thank you. JMHO:)

The Bullfather
03-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks Joe for the last post. I understand, just had a post go wrong and went into another direction, sorry to take away from the men who should be honored on this page. Gentlemen you deserve your respects for racing in the "x".

Fat Albert
03-14-2008, 07:42 PM
I'd like to nominate, "The Champ", Rene Charland! He raced figure eights at Islip. I don't know how many wins he had, but I know he won a few In Dick Holmberg's car. The late Dick Holmberg was Ricky and Kris Holmberg's Father and the Brother of Modified, "Hot Shoe", Bobby Holmberg!

Just found this...Thanks Art....Charland won 4 Figure 8's...http://www.longislandjam.com/Nostalgia/Islip/winners-fig8.htm

Who was Rene Charland, some youngsters might ask?...http://www.legendsofnascar.com/Rene_Charland.htm

The Bullfather
03-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Great find Fat Albert!

An Observer
03-21-2008, 09:44 PM
So how did the vote go?:)

RGeeProductions
03-21-2008, 09:46 PM
So how did the vote go?:)

See the SAFER story on Long Island Jam's front page!!!!

An Observer
03-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Thank You.;)