PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Wall Speedway

Jaws
03-14-2008, 09:09 PM
:(As posted on the Wall web site, the track is closed for good.

The Turkey Derby was the last race.

Lets support Riverhead so it does not meet the same fate!

The Bullfather
03-14-2008, 09:23 PM
I hope with the price increase of the toll this week, it doesn't discourage any drivers and teams making the trip to Long Island. Let's hope we have an addition of Racing Ray Minieri back at the track. Now that the old guard is longer in charge at Riverhead, he will come back. It's such a shame, so many great drivers have come out of Wall. What a great track and facility to drivers, crews and fans. Will any track continue the Turkey Derby? It's has so much rich history.

Jaws
03-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Riverhead should add some legends races, those guys would come to LI.

THere are 2 open ROC dates that would be real nice at Riverhead.

Hopefully Ray does come back.

Ken Matlach too.

This will definatly get Jimmy Blewett here more often.

Anyone else?

Any way the Wall mods could race here? Any other divisions close in spec's to Riverheads?

There has to be at least 120+ cars with no home track, very sad.

Thats 3 tracks in 10 years to close in New Jersey.

randomrodder
03-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Tragic. Never good to hear of a strack, small or large closing down. RIP Wall.

W. J.
03-14-2008, 10:38 PM
I'd say based on rules and ease of travel, many will end up at Mountain or MVS.

KnK Racing
03-15-2008, 12:23 AM
that sticks that Wall is closing down. Glad [I] went there it was great RIP Wall

Captain History
03-15-2008, 05:40 AM
The Turkey Derby was started in 1974 so it had 34 editions.

Jaws
03-15-2008, 09:02 AM
$4.00 gas this summer, rising food costs and a weak economy.

All short tracks are going to have to work hard to survive.

They can't price tickets too high, family packs of tickets, discounts promotions and try to attract people that don't have to drive too far.

Bang for the buck is what families are looking for right now!

I plan to get to Riverhead a little more than in the past when we can.

Rubbin&Racin
03-15-2008, 02:07 PM
:(How sad to hear Wall is gone. Maybe some will appreciate Riverhead a wee bit more now, see how fast things happen, here today and gone tomorrow. Appreciate what you have because you never know. Drive it like ya stole it and have fun this year at Riverhead.;)

KyleMac45
03-15-2008, 02:15 PM
As many of you probably read... I was a regular at Wall for the past 5 years-- right behind the flag stand... I would say yeah have a Turkey Derby somewhere else... but you just really cannot re-create a tradition that was started 34 years ago... Turkey Derby anywhere else just wouldn't be the same...

Good By my old friend....

Kyle M. Former Wall Speedway Jr. Flagger Trophy Boy

RIP Wall Speedway

mattphoto
03-15-2008, 03:45 PM
how far is it from like let's say Wall, NJ to Riverhead

W. J.
03-15-2008, 04:12 PM
how far is it from like let's say Wall, NJ to Riverhead138 miles according to Google Maps.

btgoss
03-15-2008, 05:33 PM
I really wish we had more information as to what actually happened.
4 equal partners and no way to make it work. That is not too strange, but we know the town has not been very open to the idea of allowing other uses of that land. Obviously money talks, and the prospect of generating more tax revenue during the start of this economic downturn is going to make things happen. But I really do wish we could know more of the story. Is that place going to be cut up for more McMansions, just like East Windsor? Either way it is a shame.

Jaws
03-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Looks like something with the local town and the zoning. I believe one of the partners is moving his business there.

Viper Man
03-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Do ya think RR is headdeed for the same dimise?

Lugnuts
03-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Would have been nice if Ray Everham could have purchased the track as did some of the others in nextel Cup. Its a shame to see yet another short track (the breeding grounds for the big league) go by the way side.

Jaws
03-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Would have been nice if Ray Everham could have purchased the track as did some of the others in nextel Cup. Its a shame to see yet another short track (the breeding grounds for the big league) go by the way side.

From what I heard he tried, but at a fair price.

KyleMac45
03-15-2008, 10:25 PM

Thats funny-- nascar says lets support our local short tracks... but yet when they see one in danger instead of stepping up and doing something they let it go down the drain....

what a shame

W. J.
03-15-2008, 10:49 PM
NASCAR is too busy hauling truckloads of money out of their own tracks to be bothered saving the Walls of the short track world. J/M/O

The only chance left for Wall is the sagging economy, the very thing that hurt it. If they can't sell it, or have to take less than it's worth to get rid of it, there is always an outside chance that someone will buy the property and give it a go. A long shot, but a shot in the dark nonetheless. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen, but strange things occur everyday.

EnduroFromDE
03-15-2008, 10:51 PM
I never knew before but reading the artical on SouthJerseyDirtRacing.com I've seen where Wall held a, whats now called Sprint Cup race their, back in '58, Won by Jim Reed of NY. I tried to make the trip there atlease two or three times a year to catch some racing. I made it up to the '07 Turkey Durby, which turned out to be the last race that would ever be held at the 1/3 mile high-bank track.:*-(

The Bullfather
03-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Sounds dirty to me if someone from the partnership is the one building his buinsess there!:rolleyes: shame either way.

Dwight Clock
03-15-2008, 11:05 PM
In order to help understand why NASCAR couldn't care less about the weekly short tracks, consider this. There are about 1000 short tracks in the U.S. While it varies, they hold an average of about 25 events each during the season. If NASCAR were to sanction every single one of them and charge a $1000 sanction fee per event they would gross $25 million for the year. That is less than their total take on a single Sprint Cup weekend when all revenues are added in including TV money. As a business, they have no need to care about them. It sucks but that's the way it is.

SuperShafts
03-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Did anyone contact nascar, i have had talks with nascar people on issues we are trying to get and they haven't given me the notion of we don't care about anything but us...
If someone from Wall called and explained the problem to them i think they might have gotten some help, they gave us other people to try stuff with.

However hamptons/lid/or what ever else you knew the drag strip to be here as, just so you know, as per drag racing history it was the 1st track purposely built as a drag strip, unlike the 1st few that were converted parking lots, nhra didn't do much to keep the person running it to the ground from stopping it...although the loss of that track is all on one persons shoulders

rydogg97
03-16-2008, 09:20 AM
maybe that was the place that you were looking for super!!maybe you should have given them a call!!

Viper Man
03-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Hey super did you try and buy riverhead race way?

RGeeProductions
03-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Maybe Wall Stadium is available?

Tower Man
03-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Four equal partners...four different agendas. Doesn't work. Remember they are businessmen out to be profitable. Not lose money and that's what was happening, they were losing money. I know for a fact one of the partners kept bailing out the track losses out of his own pocket as loans to the corporation. Eventually he wanted to be paid back. They (corporation) couldn't do that, it wasn't profitable. (Business Law 101).

Now if a businessman wants to take property he/she owns and make it profitable, don't fault them.

Believe me, I don't want to see any track close, because as an old friend once told me, "They ain't building any new ones". And track owners across the country are just that, Businessmen, looking to make a profit.

Jaws
03-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Maybe Wall Stadium is available?

Got $20,000,000.00?

Its yours.

The current owners paid I belivev $4,400,000.00 and spent, they said about anoth $1,000,000.00.

Then you can deal with the local mayor who it sounds like does not want the track there anymore. ( Sound familiar)

Viper Man
03-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Every one keeps talking about the 20 mill ,well its worth it and some big company is going to buy it like it or not ,racing on li is numberd.Every one has some idea about the track and nothing really gets done.Like tower man said it is a buisness not a playground for racers to come and play.So find some one to To be the PROMOTER, pay the cromarty family there money so there happy,gate rates will go up,advertise to get more people in the stands,make it cleaner and nicer for the town and maybe just maybe we can keep racing on long island.I dont think it will be around that much longer so have fun with it now,

RGeeProductions
03-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Got $20,000,000.00?

Its yours.

The current owners paid I believe $4,400,000.00 and spent, they said about another $1,000,000.00.

Then you can deal with the local mayor who it sounds like does not want the track there anymore. ( Sound familiar)

It wasn't for me but maybe SuperShafts......
To me sounds like a good investment and seems he has backing, so he says.....

RGeeProductions
03-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Every one keeps talking about the 20 mill ,well its worth it and some big company is going to buy it like it or not ,racing on li is numberd.Every one has some idea about the track and nothing really gets done.Like tower man said it is a buisness not a playground for racers to come and play.So find some one to To be the PROMOTER, pay the cromarty family there money so there happy,gate rates will go up,advertise to get more people in the stands,make it cleaner and nicer for the town and maybe just maybe we can keep racing on long island.I dont think it will be around that much longer so have fun with it now,

As for Riverhead, I am sure they could generate more income to the property. There are rules and dates for racing but what about flea markets, concerts, swap meets, clubs having shows, etc, non-racing venues....

rydogg97
03-16-2008, 12:20 PM
that to me sounds like super can buy wall and it would be what he wants.its already a racing venue and he can add his own personal touches!!:wave:

Viper Man
03-16-2008, 12:35 PM
well if you invite all the car clubs,on Li I am sure you could make that place profitable.look at Bald Hill,Bellmore,Rockville Center and I could go on and on have some sort of venues you could have that place busy justa bout everynight and its not such a bad ride with no traffic.I would love to be a part of it or put time and energy into it but its not mine and money does talk They say its not for sale ,maybe it's already sold and the hammer will drop soon,then you'll have everyone scrambling, ya never know

RGeeProductions
03-16-2008, 01:10 PM
that to me sounds like super can buy wall and it would be what he wants.its already a racing venue and he can add his own personal touches!!:wave:

BINGO.....
bet there will be something wrong with it though.....

Jaws
03-16-2008, 01:13 PM
BINGO.....

There we go, problem solved.

Super Shafts Speedway at the Jersey Shore!

Open 7 days a week!:)

RGeeProductions
03-16-2008, 01:15 PM
There we go, problem solved.

Super Shafts Speedway at the Jersey Shore!

Open 7 days a week!:)

We can now expect the long, complicated answer as to why not......

The Bullfather
03-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Come on now, the straight away aren't long enough for him! lol

Say what you want Marty does do a lot research and time into looking for another place for a dragstrip even if they have to add an oval for us! Thoses guys got a raw deal with ownership not caring about the facility out in West Hampton. We're not in that boat!:rolleyes:

W. J.
03-16-2008, 02:22 PM
We can now expect the long, complicated answer as to why not......Good to see we're not baiting anyone here. :mad: I know I catch all kinds of flak if I do it, even if it is done to people who don't have a clue.....

RGeeProductions
03-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Actually, this was more on the serious note....
Serious on the purchase but playing about how the answer would be....

EnduroFromDE
03-16-2008, 08:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e3kuKafsyE#cTsTNx9b6dU

Even though they are all crashes, there are some nice shots of Wall and Flemington.

SuperShafts
03-17-2008, 06:04 PM
We are on LONG ISLAND, fighting to keep our history here... Why would we buy wall? there isn't a 3 venue operation there, and it is not on long island

Nothing against wall, but in case you guy's don't know NJ has 2 new tracks being built, 1 is a 3 venue operation1.

I have told you all, i have asked if RR was going to do something to call me...They have not, as for what i know and understand on the agreements with that facility there ok for atleast another 10 years unless they want out.

We have something happening, and it is a lot more then 20m...
We have no desire in another state or there tracks, we are only interested in bringing back parts of what we had.

No matter what people say i continue to do what they do not do for themselves....but go on

The Bullfather
03-17-2008, 06:30 PM
:applause::applause:
Keep up the good fight, I'm behind getting what Long Island has lost! We have Riverhead Raceway but lost Islip and Freeport for a lot of people who remember them. We have an alternative still on Long Island for what we love to do and watch! But Long Island has lost dragstrips and road courses. There are a ton in each aveune of racing that still crave what they love to do. Tons of history is getting kicked under the dirt, luckily we have a stronger core of people who help keep it alive for us. Marty Himes is a legend amongst men. But we still need to help preserve the history he has been able to keep and gather. So much has been lost on Long Island, but so much has started on Long Island! We know Vanderbilt and races on the north fork, bridgehampton tons of history. http://www.bridgehamptonraceway.com/index.htm

How many people miss the old Islip dragway before they stopped racing there, National and West Hampton. Lots of people were looking from the outside in as thoses places closed. (Islip still remained as an oval, till we lost it). This isn't about losing Riverhead. But helping bring the love of automotive racing back!

Viper Man
03-17-2008, 06:57 PM
The love for racing is alive on Long Island ,in any venue,Drag,oval and road course.With the amount of poeple who are into cars on the Island it is krazy not to have a motorsports park for all venues,I dont understand all the bs but it is the political way I guess.Look at Englishtown it has a lot of homes around it and it works very well with the comunity.Super keep up the good fight

Jaws
03-17-2008, 07:10 PM
We are on LONG ISLAND, fighting to keep our history here... Why would we buy wall? there isn't a 3 venue operation there, and it is not on long island

Nothing against wall, but in case you guy's don't know NJ has 2 new tracks being built, 1 is a 3 venue operation1.

I have told you all, i have asked if RR was going to do something to call me...They have not, as for what i know and understand on the agreements with that facility there ok for atleast another 10 years unless they want out.

We have something happening, and it is a lot more then 20m...
We have no desire in another state or there tracks, we are only interested in bringing back parts of what we had.

No matter what people say i continue to do what they do not do for themselves....but go on

THere are no Sat night tracks being built and the oval is a long way away for any sort of touring series.

rydogg97
03-17-2008, 07:12 PM
its called not in my back yard!!!the politicians cater to the majority of their contributers!!while motorsports is popular it is not an in neighborhood sport.you knw traffic noise etc.so unless all this can be worked out it will be real tough to find a place that is suitable for that.most large open spaces are preserved so most farmland is out.englishtown i believe is like riverhead was there before the residential building took place so there is not much can be done.kudos to anyone that can get this project done!!

art11758
03-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Yes, good bye Wall Stadium. I have supported you over the years as a spectator and a competitor. I will miss you as I continue to miss and grieve over your relatives, some of whom I never got to know very well. It wasn't easy explaining your sudden loss to my children, who enjoyed visiting with you just last November. Farewell old friend.

KickItUp
03-18-2008, 10:28 AM
As for Wall... it is quite sad. But, in this day and age, making money at any business is hard.. And, for somene to come in and buy a track for what property values are these days, and to make a profit at it, is very hard to do, especially with local short track racing.. This isn't Cup where it's your living.. It isn't.. It's the track owner's living. And if they can't make a living, they can't run it just because.. For someone to be able to buy a multi-million dollar business to run and not make any profit for 15 years, has to be really well off. I can see their side of it.. It's sad, but it doesn't have to do with lack of spirit. It has to do with being anble to pay bills and keep a roof over your family's head.. After all, that is much more important than anything else in my opinion..

rydogg97
03-18-2008, 11:40 AM
its very sad wall went down the way it did!too bad for the drivers who had time and money invested.i think the announcement came at a time when teams were gearing up for the season.too bad:disgusted

Tower Man
03-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Gearing up!? I think most teams were geared up. Could this happen to us, here on Long Island? I hope not, because I'm geared up and my cars only fit Riverhead rules.

Yes the closing of Wall is a shame.

And yes all this name calling and finger pointing is a shame as well. Bantering back and forth over something is crazy. Who's right or wrong? Don't know. But both sides have a right to express their opinions. Our ancestors fought and died for that right.

As to registering for free to be part of an organization? I don't know. There were hundreds of actors and actreses that registered to be in a free organization and look what happened to them. (For those too young to recall it was the McCarthy Congressional hearings on communism).

voodoocadoo
03-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Well said tower and yes it is a business and yes the owner do need to keep a roof over there head and make a profit.I think "only thinking here" that it in the air weather or not RR will be around a long time or not.waiting to here if there gonna be around one year at a time is hard,if we "the racers" new they would be around a while I my self would get another team together and race late model or even modified,racing is a luxury and I am blessed I can race i would like to for a long time to come

Russ

Do You VOO DOO

broz
03-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Well, I'll try again....

It's very sad to hear of Wall's closing! GREAT facility, GREAT racing!
Goodbye Wall :wave:

My Father spoke of many fond memories there :applause:

SuperShafts
03-18-2008, 03:16 PM
As to registering for free to be part of an organization? I don't know. There were hundreds of actors and actreses that registered to be in a free organization and look what happened to them. (For those too young to recall it was the McCarthy Congressional hearings on communismn).

You are kidding right... I hope that was a joke...

Ah, anyway NJ lost wall, and the big loss is the heritage of the derby that hoepfuly someone will pick up, though it won't be the same and then NJ is gaining 2 state of the art facilities...i would take that all week.

Lose 1 and get 2.... Without ever having to leave the house and protest

EnduroFromDE
03-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Wall was a great track but N.J is not done with racing. NJ still has New Egypt and Bridgeport...I never been to NES but I do race at Bridgeport weekly...Bridgeport been around quite awhile, maybe not as long as wall or RR but im sure its going on 40 years now and is still looking strong. I know its not the same but Bridgeports been running the Turkey Chase at around the same time as Wall's Turkey Derby. We run all the division plus a few touring division come in. They also move the four cylinders fom the 1/4 up to the 5/8 mile track for that weekend. Cant wait to see the new tracks they're finishing up with now...one is suppose to hold an arca race there at the end of this season on the road course. Only about a hour from my house...