SK/SST Mods Qual
Late models Qual
Charger/SS Qual
Legends Qual Feature #1
3/4 Migets Qual Feature
Trucks Feature
Blunderbust Feature
Figure 8 feature

Pick a local pub for a big Friday night party.

Sat: Pit Party 10:30AM
Racing 12:00 Noon
Charger/Street Stock Feature
Legends Feature#2
SK/SST Mods Feature 100 lap feature
Mods Last Chance 150 Lap feature
Late Models Feature

Grand Enduro to wrap up weekend.

What do you think? Could it happen? I'd be there in a heart beat!

furdogg
03-15-2008, 01:49 PM
thats a good idea but they're gonna have to bump up the purses to get guys from out of state to come down here and run...:cheers:

randomrodder
03-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Someone is going to pick up the slack. Rather see it here then Thompson or Strafford.

mattphoto
03-15-2008, 03:41 PM
I could see that happening at Riverhead picture how many modifieds you would have

The Bullfather
03-15-2008, 03:42 PM
We need something like this, it brings good press to the track. Stafford and Thompson has there big year end events. But the question is would we be able to race in Nov.? Because of town restrictions!

mattphoto
03-15-2008, 03:47 PM
We need something like this, it brings good press to the track. Stafford and Thompson has there big year end events. But the question is would we be able to race in Nov.? Because of town restrictions!

good point. I think the town should let them race

The Bullfather
03-15-2008, 04:27 PM
You don't KNOW the township. lol Been there before...hahaha. If they try let's hope Barbara and Jim have a good realtionship with the town! I'd love it!

SuperShafts
03-15-2008, 11:10 PM

My lawyers after reading the towns restrict say yes...RR seems to follow it differently....or if there afraid to do it...you could give up 2 days during the regular schedule...or fight the town on discrimination...your choice

The Bullfather
03-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Mentioned it tonight to Eddie, he said it should not effect when you race, it could be after the date we hold our last event of the season at RR.

Teds Race Tours
03-16-2008, 08:20 AM
It's funny, because riding down to Thunder Valley on Friday Morning, I was thinking that Riverhead jump on board and should run a Turkey Derby type event. I guess all great modified minds think alike.:)

I guess the real questions are would the Cromarty's be interested in Such an event?

If not, would they lease the track out to somebody who would like to promote it?

BOWATCHER
03-16-2008, 08:40 AM
How about a halloween derby. the weather would be more favorable that time of year and the crowds on ELI that time of the year are great .Have a pit party also kids would love it. filling those stands without a tour purse could make any promoter happy.

Tower Man
03-16-2008, 10:14 AM
The Cromartys are usually in Florida by then. The cost involved to promote such an undertaking would not be something they are willing to risk at this late stage in the game.

Why would anyone think this could be pulled off. Would be nice. But we can't even get decent purses or more laps for ourselves, let alone, a weekend racing event after the season, whether on Halloween or Thansgiving weekend.

If they did, my fleet would be there.

Jaws
03-16-2008, 11:24 AM
The Cromarty's are usually in Florida by then. The cost involved to promote such an undertaking would not be something they are willing to risk at this late stage in the game.

Why would anyone think this could be pulled off. Would be nice. But we can't even get decent purses or more laps for ourselves, let alone, a weekend racing event after the season, whether on Halloween or Thanksgiving weekend.

If they did, my fleet would be there.

I know the chance of this race happening is about 0% for many reasons, some out of the control of the track (The Town). God forbid the track attracts out of town fans and drivers for 2 days that would spend money at local stores and restaurants.

But what about:

Lease the place to someone willing to take a chance. How about Mr. White, it would be a much shorter drive to do that race and he has 2 tracks of his own that run the mods that could be guaranteed starters.

The world of short track racing has changed and you have to do things to attract fans and cars. How about having several races during the season be qualifiers., at Riverhead and other places.

You know it might be some work but you could land a sponsor for this race that would make it a decent paying race. It doesn't have to be $5,000 to win, Wall did not have the greatest of purses but the cars showed up. Do you think the drivers go to New Smyrna for the money or even the North South Shoot out, most driver and car owners loose money on those races but they still go.

Its about the "Event".

I would pay my money in a heartbeat for that event, a great race weekend less than an hour from home, hell yes!! And I know Bow, Ted, Alex, and a bunch of other mod fans would be sitting right next to me.

The Bullfather
03-16-2008, 12:01 PM
If the track is leased the track is still going to get "said" amount of money. They can also ask for percentage of the gate too on top of "said" amount. Now the question is insurance! Let's say Mr. White rents the track out for a day or two. He would probably have to bring his own policy. There's a lot of things that would have to looked into from both parties. Mr. White would also have to pay not only the track use but also officials. Would RR allow for another official crew to be brought in without over seeing it? The tour comes into town, RR officials are still part of the show. You'd also have to figure Mr. White would have to get track clean up, tow trucks and EMT services for the event.

RGeeProductions
03-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Mr. White's concerns are Spencer Speedway and Chemung.
I do not believe he would take any more on at this time.

Golf Guy
03-16-2008, 12:18 PM
I think a Sat/Sun Halloween Derby would be awesome. Add another division or two or three (maybe a Halloweem themed demo?) to fill up the weekend. As noted, probably zero chance but how cool would that be...

Jaws
03-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Mr. White's concerns are Spencer Speedway and Chemung.
I do not believe he would take any more on at this time.

I know, just being theoretical.

Pretty soon I will wake up and be at the Riverhead Spring Sizzler!!!:wave:

The Bullfather
03-16-2008, 01:36 PM
ok let's use Mr. Pink as an example.... But no one wants to be Mr. Pink. lol If you saw Reservoir Dogs you'll get!

Besides Riverhead Racesway doing the World Series for Figure-8s and Demos, have they ever done another big event? I know Islip had the ALL-Star 300.

Jaws
03-16-2008, 05:17 PM
ok let's use Mr. Pink as an example.... But no one wants to be Mr. Pink. lol If you saw Reservoir Dogs you'll get!

Besides Riverhead Racesway doing the World Series for Figure-8s and Demos, have they ever done another big event? I know Islip had the ALL-Star 300.

There has been no real World Championship since Islip!!! 200+ cars for te demo and many out of state figure 8 drivers.

furdogg
03-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Instead of everybody being so negative about everything that has happened in years past at riverhead why dont you give the new chief stewards a chance to try and turn the track around... I think they would be all for a race like that. I know there hands are tied with alot of decisions at the track but I honestly think they would ask the Cromartys to add an end of the year race like this it would be great. Practice on friday qualify on saturday and race on sunday the track would make a fortune just from the back gate alone.

DriveitinDeep
03-17-2008, 08:46 AM
I agree with Chris. Give them a chance and see what they can do. What do you have to lose????

tstiles
03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Is Riverhead allowed by the town to use the track for racing during the winter?

W. J.
03-17-2008, 10:40 AM
My guess would be with the date(s) now 'open', some track is going ot take advantage of it, and there's really no reason it can't be Riverhead Raceway that does. I guess it will depend on who grabs it up first.

tstiles
03-17-2008, 11:08 AM
well from the way I have seen the legends and the monster trucks quickly put back on the schedule for '08 by BF and mngt., i would not be surprised if BF is going to try and put something nice together for us. I've got a lot of faith in the new regime. GO BF!

Jaws
03-17-2008, 12:46 PM
well from the way I have seen the legends and the monster trucks quickly put back on the schedule for '08 by BF and mngt., i would not be surprised if BF is going to try and put something nice together for us. I've got a lot of faith in the new regime. GO BF!

If anyone can pull something together its Bob Finan. I hope he tries.

A great weekend of racing less then an hour from home with no bridges to cross or ferry's to take.

My other thought would be Mountain Speedway, hell they race in Jan, November would be a snap!

W. J.
03-17-2008, 02:19 PM
If anyone can pull something together its Bob Finan. I hope he tries.

A great weekend of racing less then an hour from home with no bridges to cross or ferry's to take.
You forgot, no TOLLS to pay, LOL!

The Bullfather
03-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Terry I thought for a second you were talking about BullFather, thank God, whew. Bob and the track got a lot going on this season. I know Bob is working on making old timers day, which has been renamed to bring in more drivers. If there is anything you need Bob let us know, there's a lot of good people at the track that would be willing to help ya along with any projects.

Terry got I got a lot of great stuff lined up for the 2008 racing season, going to be entertaining and interactive!

maestri fan 1
03-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Keep in mind, Riverhead Raceway does host the regional there in October. I worked at the race this year and let me tell you, it was amazing. I can't wait to work it this year, it's a great show. Now if they put a car race at Riverhead during the early off season as well, even better. Truthfully if someone takes the leap and goes for it and pushes hard, it can very well be turned into a reality. I think it would help the track tremendously.

But hey if they don't you guys should come out to the regional and watch some of those races. It's very fun to watch.

rydogg97
03-20-2008, 07:11 PM
i sent an e-mail to the raceway office and suggested that they do a weekend race like t-key derby have not got response as of yet.i highlighted positives and offered that it is supported by most on the jam.so lets see!

Hollywood
03-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Maybe it's me... BUT I don't think people think big enough! There are sponsors out ther willing to put up money to back up the purse... The pit money alone would raise thousands of dollars more for the purse. The Gate would be larger... the costs would be darn near the same. Outsiders race our track rules which are close to everyone else's. (If not then make provisions.)
If it is a big enough show the money will come.! For instance, SPIRIT AIRLINES is moving to MacArthur airport, I'm sure they would love to get on board for the publicity! To someone like Spirit, this is CHEAP advertising....VERIZON is dying with Cablevision's phone service..... make a deal with them! There is a million angles.... It will take time and any business venture takes time to get rolling. JMO

Jaws
03-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Maybe it's me... BUT I don't think people think big enough! There are sponsors out ther willing to put up money to back up the purse... The pit money alone would raise thousands of dollars more for the purse. The Gate would be larger... the costs would be darn near the same. Outsiders race our track rules which are close to everyone else's. (If not then make provisions.)
If it is a big enough show the money will come.! For instance, SPIRIT AIRLINES is moving to McArthur airport, I'm sure they would love to get on board for the publicity! To someone like Spirit, this is CHEAP advertising....VERIZON is dying with cablevisions phone service..... make a deal with them! there is a million angles.... It will take time and any business venture takes time to get rolling. JMO

Hey what about a race that pays lap money? Remember when they used to sell out 200 laps for the last (of 3) Tour races ech year. How about $50 per lap split between the top 3 150 laps $7,500.00. By the way how aboutthe outlets, Come on out to see the seasons last race and while you are there drop a ton of money at the outlets next door!!!

Hollywood
03-20-2008, 08:57 PM
For get the outlets.... Tanger WILL NOT sponsor anything... I already attempted this when I owned my modified. I had meetings and everything... It had to do with death in a balooning or aerobatics show the one of the family members was killed in. (If I remember it correctly) BUT keep thinking.... What about the "DUCKS"! SNY is out there... VERSUS TV is out there... There are a lot. They all showed me interest. South west airlines.... etc etc. All they can say is NO. Heck I landed Red Line oil for our go kart team.... Just gotta ask, just gotta pick up the phone......

rydogg97
03-21-2008, 06:00 PM
just got e-mail back from track and it said "great idea but not allowed to run after sept 30".no turkey derby at rr i guess.

The Bullfather
03-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Time for the can of worms to be opened! I don't know the details of it, but I was told by Ed Densieski last week the track should not a problem if they wanted to run pasted that date. He was on the Riverhead Town Board just until Jan. I'd like to be hopeful and wish they could run an year end event such as the Turkey derby. I hope more can come from this! The Race track isn't known to much to be a hassle with the community except noise polution! Maybe they could put in for a Saturday/Sunday showing passed Sept 30th.

WEEZER
03-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Turkey Derby at Mountain would be cool.

The Bullfather
03-21-2008, 08:58 PM
AND COLD!!brrrrrrrrr

RGeeProductions
03-21-2008, 09:19 PM
JMO:
Turkey Derby will NEVER be Turkey Derby as it was at Wall Stadium........no matter where or who wants to hold it....

W. J.
03-21-2008, 09:37 PM
JMO:
Turkey Derby will NEVER be Turkey Derby as it was at Wall Stadium........no matter where or who wants to hold it....
AMEN to that!

WEEZER
03-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Maybe something new could be started like NELMA DERBY, at Mountain in Nov. Whadiya think J.A..... but yes RGee, nothing will replace Wall's Turkey Derby.

RickFigure8
03-22-2008, 02:40 AM
I'm almost sure, going back to when the court cases seemed to be agreed upon, one rule of the town was that a race could only be held on a date one was held on the previous year. Now they have added sundays for some divisions, and we do race a little deeper into September now, but late october or november might be pushing it.

rydogg97
03-22-2008, 07:48 AM
the letter was straight fwd sept 30 was the end of the season.but do agree with rick that they could run some sun. and get that extra.but then how many drivers want to race on sun.what i think is worth a try is something like an all star weekend.they do it else where why not here.open up rules or make other div for weekend to bring in out of state cars.would be cool like the old championship demo and fig 8 when there were many invaders.jmo

Jaws
03-23-2008, 01:36 AM
Turkey Derby at Mountain would be cool.

Not cool because its an extra 2 hours to drive and GW bridge etc. etc.

tstiles
03-23-2008, 10:27 AM
your glass is half emty ...
JMO:

SuperShafts
03-23-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm almost sure, going back to when the court cases seemed to be agreed upon, one rule of the town was that a race could only be held on a date one was held on the previous year. Now they have added sundays for some divisions, and we do race a little deeper into September now, but late october or november might be pushing it.

the letter was straight fwd sept 30 was the end of the season.

I had my lawyers look at the towns discriminative law on operation days

The law reads they may only operate 28 days during the months of april thru sept... There is no other clause saying anything about the months of october thru may, they were clear only on april thru sept.

Take it to a lawyer you feel comfortable with and have them read it for you...then ask how is the case against the town for discrimination.
Bottom line is no one is challenging it

rydogg97
03-23-2008, 02:32 PM
if thats the case then those in charge are okay with the operating dates.so therefore there would be no reason to fight it because the owners are ok with it.maybe if you can speak to them and change their minds.youve talked to them about price of track.show it to them in wtiting and maybe they will listen.

RGeeProductions
03-23-2008, 06:07 PM
your glass is half empty ...

HUH?
I been going to Wall since mid 70's for Turkey Derby.
NO ONE can ever take that away from Wall or match it in my book.
Those who have been there like me will agree!!!!

RGeeProductions
03-23-2008, 06:25 PM
I had my lawyers look at the towns discriminative law on operation days

The law reads they may only operate 28 days during the months of april thru sept... There is no other clause saying anything about the months of october thru may (<---???), they were clear only on april thru sept.

Take it to a lawyer you feel comfortable with and have them read it for you...then ask how is the case against the town for discrimination.
Bottom line is no one is challenging it

Interesting, as I read this, if this is EXACTLY as written that, the track can only operate during the months of April thru September AND only 28 days within that period.
Seems very clear that the track can not operate during the months of October thru May(see above, lol)??? First off, practice is March and track is open, but not my point. What is discriminatory about this? It's a town law, which, by the way actually reads:

§ 85-4. Days and hours of operation. A. No motor vehicle raceway shall permit any motor vehicle to warm up or compete except during the hours of 11:00 a.m. through 4:00 p.m. or 4:00 p.m. through 10:45 p.m. on a maximum of two (2) days per week, exclusive of rescheduled events, during the months of April, May, June, July, August and September, which shall not exceed twenty-eight (28) days.
B. In the event of the cancellation of a scheduled event due to weather conditions, the motor vehicle raceway may reschedule the event to the proximate week upon reasonable notification to the Town Board of the Town of Riverhead.

Seems very clear.....being the other months are not mentioned, any lawyer will tell you it means NO RACING DURING THE NON MENTIONED MONTHS, DOH!!!
The town law also states you can not have a business sign larger than a certain size. Would this be discriminatory also because I want a bigger one? So I take them to court? Anyone could do this on any town law or ordinance then? Just because the track is a monopoly in town doesn't necessarily give it special privileges.
If someone did battle this in court and won, all the laws in town would be thrown out....What is the point of laws and ordinances then.
The proper route would be to petition the board to amend the days/hours the track is able to have......

rydogg97
03-23-2008, 06:46 PM
any challenge to the stated rules of the hours of operation would have to come from the owners and i dont see this happening.the schedule fits their liking.another thought on any challenges would give the opponents of the track another chance to voice their gripes and then another change?could happen!this is rhd!!

furdogg
03-23-2008, 08:06 PM
wow you guys are out of control instead of arguing back and fourth why dont you wait for warm ups and see if jim and mike will sit down w/ the cromartys and ask if this is possible or not it's that simple... But if you guys are that bored and want to argue about it feel free.

JBonsignore
03-23-2008, 11:40 PM
i think the track has a lot of other things they need to take care of before we can even think of opening the gates, the place is a total mess right now and warmups are just about a month away!

RickFigure8
03-24-2008, 12:22 AM
RGee all those laws were written specifically during the settlement between the track and the town, part of a plea bargain per say. As I said earlier it basically said you can only race this year on a date you raced last year.As far as that sign law, at one point a large sign was put up behind the pit stands, I think the support for it is still there, and the town made the track take it down. I think there was even a problem with the indian at one point.

Rick

SuperShafts
03-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Interesting, as I read this, if this is EXACTLY as written that, the track can only operate during the months of April thru September AND only 28 days within that period.
Seems very clear that the track can not operate during the months of October thru May(see above, lol)??? First off, practice is March and track is open, but not my point. What is discriminatory about this? It's a town law, which, by the way actually reads:

§ 85-4. Days and hours of operation. A. No motor vehicle raceway shall permit any motor vehicle to warm up or compete except during the hours of 11:00 a.m. through 4:00 p.m. or 4:00 p.m. through 10:45 p.m. on a maximum of two (2) days per week, exclusive of rescheduled events, during the months of April, May, June, July, August and September, which shall not exceed twenty-eight (28) days.
B. In the event of the cancellation of a scheduled event due to weather conditions, the motor vehicle raceway may reschedule the event to the proximate week upon reasonable notification to the Town Board of the Town of Riverhead.

Seems very clear.....being the other months are not mentioned, any lawyer will tell you it means NO RACING DURING THE NON MENTIONED MONTHS, DOH!!!
The town law also states you can not have a business sign larger than a certain size. Would this be discriminatory also because I want a bigger one? So I take them to court? Anyone could do this on any town law or ordinance then? Just because the track is a monopoly in town doesn't necessarily give it special privileges.
If someone did battle this in court and won, all the laws in town would be thrown out....What is the point of laws and ordinances then.
The proper route would be to petition the board to amend the days/hours the track is able to have......

Thank god you aren't a lawyer... Read it slower this time..

Unlike you rgee if i think there is an issue i will seek the professionals opinion....not sit here and type as if you were a lawyer and you had years of experience interpreting laws.

IF you read it slowly what it says is....during the months of april thru sept you are confined to 2 days of each week....there is nothing there mentioning anything about nov thru march

Rgee what other businesses in RHT are in operation 2 days a week during the months of april thru sept... Are you serious ...take the hat off kid it is clearly discrimination...

Rgee take it to a lawyer as i did, my lawyer has explained it to us, the hours of operation are fine..the limitation on which a business is being told how to operate there operation during specific months is a problem

RGeeProductions
03-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Sorry, I did have a lawyer read it.
Clearly states what hours and what months the track can run.
If other months are not mentioned, means they can't run then.
Really, what's not to understand about that wording?
(No motor vehicle raceway shall permit any motor vehicle to warm up or compete "except during"). The 'except during' covers it clearly.
This will be my last address of this. Every answer includes complaints about ME and not focused on thread.
(Unlike you rgee if i think there is an issue i will seek the professionals opinion....not sit here and type as if you were a lawyer and you had years of experience interpreting laws.)

RickFigure8
03-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Mine wasn't a complaint RGee, I was just adding to what you said.

RickFigure8
03-24-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't think it's too smart to start pushing the issue with the town. Things have been relatively smooth for some years now and to start a whole new can of worms over one race in my eyes would be plain stupid. If the town or anyone brought about a new set of legal troubles for the Cromarty's like we had years ago you can bet they would not put up the fight they did back then. Enjoy what we have.

Rick

W. J.
03-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Good advice, Rick. While a late season race on LI would be nice, I wouldn't want to jeopardize the regular season to get it.

btgoss
03-24-2008, 07:56 PM
The issue of how the track is allowed to operate is obviously a delicate one. While you can find instances of other types of businesses fighting what are clearly confirming terms of operation, the stark reality is that small towns generally win. We just have to look to the Hamptons and many of the unreasonable stipulations that are placed on business that operate in that town to see that this practice has a long and storied history on our lovely little island.

That being said, you can fight something like this in court. Much like a homeowner can ask for a variance to add to an existing house, or as is becoming more and more common on Long Island, permission to build another house on an existing site, a business can try to get permission to modify existing town law.

In the case of the track it would not be in their best interest. The town does not see the track as an asset, so any fighting will prove to just stoke the fires.

The only way we as fans of the track will ever be able to make changes are if we should all move to Riverhead and then use the power of voting to place people who are sympathetic to the cause in positions of power in the local government.

I am curious, and not to change the topic totally away from Riverhead having a big end of season race, but with the local group who had been interested in Calverton being boxed out, does anyone know if they have considered leasing Wall Stadium? Supershafts would you know if this has been considered? I know the goal is have a facility on the Island, but I understand the door for Wall to run under a lease is somewhat open. It could give your group some experience with running a track to take over for a few years. Perhaps it could buy Wall enough time to straighten out that terrible owner situation.

Jaws
03-28-2008, 12:38 PM
This just in, Riverhead Raceway has added the ISMA Supers to the Turkey Derby.

It will be a 50 lap feature on the Sat portion of the show.

(I can't read, only dream!!):wave:

The Bullfather
03-28-2008, 01:46 PM
The group that wanted Calverton for the tracks is Long Island based, they don't want to look out of state. Many drivers have to look out of state to race now, why would they buy a track in NJ? Plus we have an oval here in our backyard, the drivers who need somewhere to race are drag racers and road course drivers!

btgoss
03-28-2008, 07:14 PM
I wasn't suggesting a buy of Wall, but a lease would let them get a real taste of running a track, and give the guys at Wall another year or two. Maybe in that time a new buyer could be found.
I know the Calverton group has much bigger plans then just running a Saturday night track, and they are more focused on the drag racing side of things, but it could work for them.

RickFigure8
03-29-2008, 04:18 PM
I might be wrong but I think a number of years ago Wall was shut and was saved by a group of drivers buying it or at least taking over, something like that.
Rick

Tower Man
04-01-2008, 07:50 AM
With all these suggestions for Wall, I think it's time to talk about Riverhead, the 1/4 mile facility which many of us have dropped some blood, sweat and tears. Forget Calverton. Forget Yaphank.

We have Riverhead and let's work at that.