PDA

View Full Version : Golf Outing

ReptarRacing
03-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Haven't heard anything about the golf outing...Does that mean there isn't one this year?:(
And if there isn't one this year, than I want to thank Steve Halpin for the past few years. It really was alot of fun.

hollywoodmic
03-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Unfortunately Gina, we will not be having a Tom Baldwin Memorial Golf Outing in 2008. The interest just isn't there. We may give it another shot in 2009. It is a very expensive outing to run. If you've ever been to the outing, you know I try to make it as "top shelf" as possible. What people don't understand is between security, celebrities, and volunteers we have about 80 people. The golf outing has to pay for the celebrities golf, food, and drink. Then for the security & volunteers we do the same except for the golf. At the end of the day this tournament has been run very efficiently because of these people, and they are needed. They come and help all day and don't get a penny for it. The celebrities don't get much time off and I'm just glad they were able to give us a few hours of their day.

I also had a very big problem with people I trusted, reserving foursomes and when it came time to collect the money, we lost 16 groups 3 weeks before the outing. While saying that, I must say thanks to Bill Denniston & Steve Bauer, Glenn Tyler and Mike Smeriglio for all the help in getting me groups at the end to fill some of the empty spots. It has been a great run and I do not believe it is over. We raised over $100,000 for charities in the name of Tom Baldwin, and for that I think he would be proud.

It does blow my mind though, where else on Long Island could you see Tommy Baldwin Jr., Dale Jarrett, Michael Waltrip, Elliot Sadler, Kasey Kahne, Dave Blaney, Kyle Petty, Steve Park, Jimmy Spencer, Harry Carson (NYG), Mike Joy, Larry McReynolds, Matt Yokum, Bob Dilner, Tony Eury Jr., Slugger Labbe, Kevin (Bono) Manion, Larry Hyder, Don Hawk, and host of stars from The Whelen Modified Series over the past three outings. Yet I could only get 36 spectators last year. Folks talk about NASCAR coming to LI or NYC, and I can't get anyone to show up for this great day. I tried Newsday, no interest. I tried radio; other than the Cowboys hooking us up with WBAB late, again no interest. It's a shame to have these superstars and wonderful people in your own backyard and you can't get the folks to come out. I mean I could have if we spent a ton of money, but this deal already costs a ton of money.

While I have a shot, I'd love to thank our major sponsors over the years, ASi Racewear, Huntington Honda, Paramount Pictures, Happy Madison Productions, CarQuest Auto Parts, Stafford Motor Speedway, Hampton Jitney, NASCAR & The NASCAR Foundation, Evernham Motorsports, Bill Davis Racing, Shore Mechanical, Buzz Chew Chevrolet, Trailer Transport, Hometown Insurance, Axel Anderson Truck Repair, & Unique Golf and for all of our hole sponsors, I give you all a heartfelt thank you. We will take a shot at this in 2009 I promise, it is our goal to always remember Tom Baldwin with a great day of golf and friends getting together. I know he would be right there with us if given the opportunity.

Thanks again,

Steve Halpin:applause:

broz
03-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Very sad to hear Steve....

OUTSTANDING work by you and your crew for the past several years! Good luck on trying to bring this back for 2009!

Would certainly love to plan a trip "home" around the "Tourney" :applause:

Mortgage Guy
03-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Well said Stephen.

W. J.
03-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Wow, Steve, that's really disappointing to hear, but I know from attending last year's the amount of work all of you did to make it the great day it was. It was first class all the way, as you said.
Here's hoping 2009 comes together for you. :applause:

Rich Mergl
03-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Steve I'm so sorry to here the news. Thank You and all involved for three wonderful years of memories of Tommy, and all the drivers including the Mod Squad Drivers. Had the privilege to play with Tommy Johns, Dale Jarrett, Meggan and Kevin (From Nascar@ Daytona Beach). Count me in if it's ago in 2009. And oh Yes, My roving Bartender last year, Walter Johnston. THANKS AGAIN