PDA

View Full Version : My rat rod 302 Ford engine

DAN D.
04-02-2008, 12:20 AM
I hate fords , anyway i own this thing called a rat rod , just looking for some info if anyone has any concerning this situation. Thanks Dan Dombal
i just pulled my motor out of my rat rod,, cause the c4 trany went and figured i would do the leakin rear main seal on the engine. I dropped the Oil pan and screen was clogged with gunk, and brkt for pick up tube snapped, and the back 4 connecting rod caps /bearings had lots of play, and ,i dont know how this timing chain did not skip or jump a tooth? so much play! anyways before i throw a 4 bolt 74 350ci chevy and trany into my 38 ford pick up rat rod , i guess i will have the tranny redone with a shift kit, and do the lower end on the engine with a timming chain. i really dont think the journals are scored up , and the cyl walls looked clean, pistons still have cross hatch pattern on skirts of pistons. do you think by putting standard connecting rod bearings, and the crank main bearings in with a timing chain is ok to do? i think it should be ok, i will also thro umbrella valve seals on the valves. this is probably the least expensive way of getting the most mileage out of a tired rat rod motor.. any idea what the plastigage measurement or torgue spec are for the rod and main bearings are ?
should i also get both timing gears with the chain?
thanks Poppa D.
See FORD Fix or Repair Daily
never had this with a GM motor..or Tranny
also the motor has a edelbrock preformer and a holley 600cfm carb.. again no heavy duty race engine, just a cruiser that weigs abot 1100 lbs with eng and tranny.

nitros77
04-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Dan you should put a chevy in it but if ya really wanna stick with the ford throw that one away and let me get ya 5.0 ho motor for it.:cheers:

DAN D.
04-02-2008, 11:19 PM
I Am Redoing The Lower End With All New Brgs Main And Rod, Also New Timing Chain, Gears, Water Pump,

randomrodder
04-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Are you a HAMB member? I'm at OSR.

RGeeProductions
04-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I Am Redoing The Lower End With All New Brgs Main And Rod, Also New Timing Chain, Gears, Water Pump,
"anyways before i throw a 4 bolt 74 350ci chevy and trany into my 38 ford pick up rat rod"
You just posted this!!!! You're already rebuilding?

nascar071
04-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Hey Dan, you should drop by my shop, i just picked up a 32 ford pu with a flat head in it. Its been in a garage since 1953. Gonna chop the top 5" and I'm building my own chassis for it so I can slam it to the ground. Give me a call , I'd like to see your Rat Rod. Ron Langdon Shop # 516-377-3738

DAN D.
07-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Ron what the address of your shop I will stop past being my shop is in Baldwin. Thanks Dan Dombal

nascar071
07-03-2008, 03:05 PM
I moved about a year ago but I'm still on the same street .. 210B Hanse Ave Freeport, right behind the Freeport Rec Center off Mill Rd , look for the big X in the back left corner of the parking lot. Knickerbocker building is right across the street from the parking lot. Thanks Ron

DAN D.
07-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Ron stopped past my shop and showed him a bunch of old race photos and i went into the back room and got some illustrated speedway paper and Ron came across this pic so i took a pic of it pretty cool huh "Guess what year?", i will post this in the vintage old race area also , I still have the paper lots of stuff

hint its at least 10 years ago LOL

DAN D.
01-03-2009, 10:43 AM
My Rat Rod Also Is Published In Rebel Rodz (feb 09) And Amuzin Cruzin(feb 09) Both National Magazines.. Anyways Not Bad For A Bucket Ofbolts That Are Rusted And Welded Together

W. J.
01-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Nice, good for you, Dan. :wave: Must be a cold ride this time of year.

BTW, how do you weld rust? LOL!:lol: