PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Icebreaker Results

cornellsgt12
04-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Results from Thompson speedway's Icebreaker can be found here

http://localracing.nascar.com/node/431

jfp711
04-06-2008, 07:26 PM
for anybody who knows me also knows how much I dislike the driver of the #10 put I have to admit he does have a pretty cool looking hot-rod this year, the ol' race hill farms colors........... Sorry Fran.......

Hillbilly79
04-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Do you have any pictures of Eddie's #10 car from this weekend ?

Thanks, Hillbilly79

randomrodder
04-06-2008, 08:37 PM
How about the poor midget driver who lost his life. RIP

Driver killed in crash at Thompson Speedway in Connecticut
1 hour, 9 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintTHOMPSON, Conn. (AP)—A racer was killed Sunday when his midget car hit another, flipped over a concrete wall and struck a billboard at Thompson International Speedway.

Shane Hammond of Halifax, Mass., was 27. He died at Day Kimball Hospital in Putnam, state police said.

The accident happened during the 2008 Ice Breaker. The race is part of the Northeast Midget Association, a lower-level regional series.

“He was relatively new, but had received accolades galore from veterans in the midget organization,” said Russ Dowd, director of operations at the raceway.

About 8,500 spectators were in the stands, an above average attendance because it was the track’s opening day, Dowd said.

Hammond crashed on the third of 25 laps, Dowd said. His car hit one driven by Chris Leonard of Pelham, N.H., he said.

State police are investigating with help from NASCAR. NASCAR sanctions a race at the track, although not this one.

It was the second fatal accident at the speedway in less than eight months. Last August, John Blewett III of Howell, N.J., died at this track after his car and one driven by his brother hit a wall near the end of the Whelen Modified Tour.

jfp711
04-06-2008, 08:40 PM
THAT SUCKS !!!!!!! What a tragedy.........

The Bullfather
04-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Did they run NEMA before or after the WMT? I found it, they ended the whole event after Flemke's rain shorten win.

It's another sad day in racing, godspeed to Shane and may his whole family find comfort in God's arms.

CynthiaTork
04-06-2008, 09:04 PM
NEMA was the fourth feature of the day. Before the WMT.:(

stefanikfan
04-06-2008, 09:08 PM
yes. They ran several features before the tour race. The kid's name was Shane Hammond. I think he was aound 27 years old. I believe it was Nokie Fornoro's backup car that he was driving. We knew it was bad when the state police cars arrived.

God bless him and his family.

Chris
04-06-2008, 09:10 PM
My prayers go out to the family. It was a horrible accident to watch.

Jaws
04-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Shane, his family and friends.

RichKeator
04-06-2008, 10:14 PM
I was working at a different race track on sunday in CT... the Mototown usa Speedway... the indoor dirt track in Windsor that the Horn has covered in the past months... and we got the word of this right around the time we rolled out for our features.... Dave Haskel our race director got word of the bad wreck. Then our Flagman Andy Schlatz: who actually races with NEMA but doesn't race at Thompson cause he had a serious crash there a few years back got on the cell phone and made a few calls... We found out the tragic news just as I let our last feature roll off for pace laps. We got no more than half a pacelap in and then the man who runs the place Tommy D. actually stopped the feild on the back stretch. He got on the radio to the P.A. announcer, we shut the cars down and had a moment of silence... We finished our nights with heavy hearts as I know all up at Thompson did as well.....

God Speed Shane
we'll see you up in God's Victory Lane

mattphoto
04-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I feel bad for Shane's family !!!! Shane will be missed by everyone in the racing community. He was a class act guy and a great competitor to watch. RIP Buddy !!!

Axel
04-07-2008, 05:12 AM
I am saddended to hear this. RIP Shane Hammond.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Mr. Hammond's family.

crashcymbal
04-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Just how many greenflag laps were completed in the WMT race?

310fig8
04-07-2008, 02:50 PM
There were 39 green 53 yellow total 92.

Ellracin17x
04-12-2008, 08:43 PM
That is sad to see another driver go, thompson is a very fast track, there has been a handful amount of deaths there, I suggest they put some sort of safer barrier to prevent that happening

a handful too many :(