PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia Mystery - April 7, 2008

LongIslandJam
04-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Who drove the No. 33?

Barry O
04-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Hank DeAngelo (Al DeAngelo's son) driving the Bill Peter's built Mod out of North Babylon.

RickFigure8
04-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Richie Gomes

RickFigure8
04-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Wow, Barry has me questioning myself now, lol. I'm comparing it to other photos I have of Richie and I don't know. But you've reminded me of something I had totally forgot about. Deer Park Ave, North Babylon, right where Bay Shore Road ends there's a McDonalds. Just south of the McDonalds is a shopping center. Years ago that property was a nursery and a house. At one time the car Hank DeAngelo drove was kept at that house, early 70's.
Rick

RickFigure8
04-07-2008, 11:09 PM
A few photos of Richie Gomes

Fast&Legal
04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
I also believe this to be Hank DeAngelo who past away last year.I think he drove this car(the Peters mod) before he drove the 2 of spades for Big Jim Kerwin who in later years took over for "old man John" as the offical to lock up Isilp early Sunday mornings and later operated the pit gate at Riverhead,an all around great guy...... Anybody have any pictures of Hank and the 2 of Spades? That car was a camaro the had 4 2 barrel carbs.

Fat Albert
04-08-2008, 10:00 PM
I have a picture of the 2 of spades, but it's a coupe, not a Camaro and it wasn't driven by Hank. I'm not sure I remember the Camaro! I'd like to see a picture of it. Here's the coupe...

RickFigure8
04-09-2008, 02:27 AM
If I remember correctly Charlie Puleos figure8 cars, 52 and 53 were owned by a guy named Metz. I wonder if related to the engine guy here.

Fat Albert
04-09-2008, 10:16 AM
If I remember correctly Charlie Puleos figure8 cars, 52 and 53 were owned by a guy named Metz. I wonder if related to the engine guy here.

Hmmm! I don't know! Letz go Metz

oldracer
04-09-2008, 09:55 PM
That's Mike Rubino ,also known as "Mikey Beans", in the car in that photo. He was famous for being in the movie "On the Waterfront" with Marlon Brando in Hoboken. Saw him win the main in a red # 44 at Weissglass Speedway in 1961. Ran Roosevelt, Wall, New Egypt well into the late 70's.

Fat Albert
04-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Absolutely correct, oldracer! That is Mike Rubino in the 2 of Spades.
But it seems no one knows who drove the #33 Pinto.

The Bullfather
04-10-2008, 04:48 PM
ummm can I say it J.A.? Ok I will.....Bill Park. I been waiting for awhile and didn't want to ruin it!

JTK22NY
04-10-2008, 08:48 PM
You're right it is Bill Park. He took over the ride after Jim Kelly went out on his own. Hank did drive a 2 of Spades, a Camaro, for Ray ?????, he owned a gas station on Carleton Ave. in Islip Terrace. The driver in the 2 of Spades coupe, a sportsman, is Sal Mauro and this was a team car to the Ace of Spades, an injected Modified, which Al drove. The Ace was black and the duece was white and both cars were owned by Edwin Ackerman who was a multi-millionare NYC Taxi owner who lived in Great Neck. Sal destroyed the Ace at Thompson warming it up for Al and broke his collar bone in the process.

Barry O
04-11-2008, 11:22 PM
It is true that on Deer Park Avenue is where the 33 Modified/Sportsman Cars were built. That is where Hank and of course Al DeAngelo lived. I was Al DeAngelos NY Daily News paper boy back in the 70's. I got paid by the Count of Monte Christo himself (or his wife). I had received emails from Hank's son a couple of years ago saying that they had photos from then but I lost contact with them. I watched Bill Peters bulid the cars in the 2 car garage behind the house. He was a welder with ANS Welding back in those days. That's when Modifieds were home built. If anyone knows of where Hank's son (Al) is, please ask him to contact us with the photos he says he has. I'm glad someone else rememberd Hank driving back in the day.
Thank you for this forum, it made me think of the good old days. Al was a legend to me. I know they talk about liquid courage and Al, but I saw him out in the garage with Bill Peter's, building the cars and then even timing the motor on Saturday morning for his sons ride. Those memories are etched in my mind forever. That was The Golden Days of Modified Racing.

Fast&Legal
04-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Ali is Hank's brother, Dennis is Hank's son,last I heard he is living in Fla. Ali was still on the Island a couple of years ago but I have not seen him lately.