PDA

View Full Version : Doug Coby Earns Podium Finish In First Sk Start At Thompson In Five Years

RGeeProductions
04-10-2008, 09:58 PM
The Johnson Motorsports team and driver Doug Coby kicked off their 2008 racing season in style by capturing a 3rd place finish in the first of two 25-lap features at Thompson International Speedway’s season opening Icebreaker event. Though Coby and crew will be competing full-time at Stafford Speedway this season, they made the trek to Thompson with the goal of capturing a solid finish to bolster their 2008 NASCAR Whelen All-American Series state championship effort. Doug had not competed in an SK Modified at Thompson since the end of the 2003 season, but heading into the event he and the team were confident that they could end the weekend on a high note.

“We took my Troyer car (#10, renumbered to #70) and my Pettit engine to Thompson because we decided over the winter that we would use that car and engine to run a bunch of big shows away from Stafford,” said Doug, “If we can get some good finishes in these races, it will make up for any bad weeks we have at Stafford in the #15 when it comes down to the state and national championship points system that NASCAR implemented last year. Having been really competitive with this car and engine at Concord last year for the North South Shootout, I had some confidence heading into Icebreaker weekend, which was much needed because I haven’t raced an SK at Thompson in a while.”

After a 3rd place finish in the heat race, the Johnson Motorsports #70 lined up in 9th position to start the feature event. A huge 37 car field took the green and from the get go it was apparent it was going to be a long night for the division. Caution after caution plagued the entire race, as Doug seized several opportunities and moved into the 2nd spot by lap 4. By this time, the track officials decided to have the field line up single file for all remaining restarts. Doug kept pace with the race leader on several more restarts but was overtaken by Jimmy Blewett for 2nd spot late in the event, resulting in the team’s 3rd place finish.

“I rode around behind the leader for about 15 laps or so, and even though I had some opportunities on the restarts to mess around with him, I wanted to wait until later in the race to make my move. Admittedly I was thinking more about the second 25-lap feature and wanted to make sure we’d be in one piece for that one, so I played it a little cautious,” said Doug, “Towards the end of the race, I saw the 12 (Blewett) coming, and that made me realize that my best shot at winning was to slide back into third and wait for the front two to wreck each other because I’ve seen it happen a few times before. It didn’t happen on the last green, white, checker, but I still think that was the right move on my part. Overall, the third place finish was a great way to start the season. I want to thank Sean, Bob, my dad, Mike, my spotter Brian, and Gino for helping out at the track, and Glenn for the advice he gave while working on the Stafford cars back at the shop. I also want to thank Xtra Mart and Village Springs for their help this weekend.”

The second 25-lap feature at Thompson was postponed due to rain, making the next event for the Johnson Motorsports crew the 150-lap Budweiser SK Modified Nationals at the Waterford Speedbowl on April 13. Doug and the team are looking forward to the $5,000 to win race, which is the highest paying SK Modified event of the season.

Johnson Motorsports PR