PDA

View Full Version : Hello.

LiquidBread
04-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Hello. I’m newly registered but not new to the forum. I’ve been following it for the better part of a year now, and it’s been a Godsend for keeping up. Is there anyone better than Howie!!??!! I’m in the automotive industry and several years ago my career took me to the Midwest. Thank you for helping keep the faith of a transplant. With mortgage and family I only get to 6 – 8 WMT/RoC races anymore, but every March hope springs eternal.

I grew up with the ground pounders, kicking around Holland, Perry, Lancaster, and Oswego as a kid. My father ran for a few years in the 60s (the Excedrin Headache #116 Blasdell Hardware Chevy), but mostly he crewed and built them. Don MacTavish was a good friend of his. I’d only seen the Old Man tear up twice in his life; the other time was when my Grandmother passed. Then we lost Tommy Druar and Tony J. so close together, and I found out what my father felt.

My father is gone now, and a lot has changed over the years. I’ve spent the best and the worst days of my life at the track, but one thing has never changed …. the best folks on the face of this earth are the modified family. One day NASCAR may finally get it, but until then please keep doing your part to keep the wick lit.

My orange riding mower still has a black 61 decaled on the hood. Even though my wife and the neighbors don’t understand, my newly converted taxi cab traveling buddies do. One trip to Mansfield last year was all it took. See you at a track soon and thanks again for a great site.

PS. Dawg, I’ll save you the inquiry. No, I’m not one of those stinkin’ SK lovers.

RGeeProductions
04-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Ted, thanks for the kudos and story and a big welcome to you!!
Please feel free to join in anything and I am with you on the view of Howie....and don't forget Mary!!!!
A big family says it all....

broz
04-20-2008, 11:23 PM
GREAT THREAD :applause:

Welcome Aboard! :wave:

Bullfrog
04-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Yes....I feel the same way being transplanted to Georgia. I had spent every Friday night at Stafford and every Saturday night at either Riverside or Waterford before moving down south in 1995. The Horn has kept me in touch with the NE Mod scene. I check the board daily for new posts and love to see the pics posted by the best racing photographers I've seen. The Live updates are a huge bonus for someone like myself as well and usually spend most race days refreshing my browser. (insert dirty joke here). I spend most Thursday nights waiting to hear from my brother who runs SK's at Thompson to see how he has faired. Sorry Dawg...SK lover here. But thanks and Kudos to everyone who keeps this site maintained and alive. There are many thankless tasks that happen behind the scenes with this site and all involved are certainly appreciated. Group Hug:applause:

CTC Photos
04-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Bullfrog - what part of Georgia are you living in? You might want to check out Dixie Speedway some Saturday night. Not asphalt and no open wheel but a good night of racing and a very reasonable ticket price. Lanier Speedway is asphalt and has some decent racing also.

RGeeProductions
04-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Jerry, thanks for the comments. We ALL appreciate it.
We ALL do spend a lot of time to make it work but the end result is so worth it. All the news about racing, teams, drivers, races, etc, and the forum for us to voice our feelings, keeps us all connected in the modified racing world (and racing in general) and keeps the interest alive.

Teds Race Tours
04-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Bullfrog - what part of Georgia are you living in? You might want to check out Dixie Speedway some Saturday night. Not asphalt and no open wheel but a good night of racing and a very reasonable ticket price. Lanier Speedway is asphalt and has some decent racing also.

Dixie is a great little dirt track. About 10 miles or so from Marietta. One of my "Bus Folk" was kindly shown the gate after a day full of drinking. He wasn't being obnoxious, but it was obvious he was full of beer, and they asked him to leave. I think it was his Northern Accent. But the racing was great.

CTC Photos
04-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Ya, they don't take kindly to drinking in the main grandstand at Dixie. The tracks' rules down south are weird to say the least. You can't drink in the grandstands but, at some tracks they sell beer in the pits. Then, there is the any age in the pit rules. Most of the tracks down here allow anyone in the pits...I'm amazed everytime I go to a track where there are 10 year old kids riding around on 4 wheelers that no one gets killed. And, don't even try and tell the "fans" that kids belong in the grandstands and not the pits.

Back to your "Bus Folk" he could've walked to the "pit gate" in turn 1...which is also the trackside parking section (where beer...and drinking is allowed) and seen the rest of the event. Actually, the best seats in the house, in my opinion, are the turn 1 grandstands.

Bullfrog
04-25-2008, 11:26 PM
I live in Powder Springs, about 30 miles west of Atlanta and 5 miles from Marietta. I actually work on a dirt late model that a co-worker of mine runs up at Dixie. That place rules. It's a non sanctioned venue and is alot of fun. You buy the tires directly from the track out of the back of a pick up truck. They have nights like "topless racing". Every one takes the roof off of the car. I attached a photo for those who think I'm joking. It's been a strange transition learning how to make these cars turn as the track changes so much through out the evening. 5 inches of stagger!! He actually runs really good there. When the Lucas Oil series was in town, something like 62 cars showed up to qualify and even Bill Elliot was there. We qualified 2nd. You come out of the gate and take the green and run one lap. Its everybody's Saturday night thing to do. The stands are packed and its like $13 to get in, $15 for the pits. And they run for $6-$10 grand depending on the night. And if you think by not serving beer is strange. Visit rural Georgia late at night with a bunch of drunk southerners that are driving home from the races. That was a pretty good law, I must say. But on that note, they do have spectator races where you can go to the parking lot and race against one other car in a one lap shoot out. Not kidding.

BF